Which "victim" of the amnesty clause will become a Knick this year?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
That's why I said I don't think he's a real Knickerbocker, because if he was he'd wait until he hit the free agency and no matter what the new CBA would be he'd ask for less $$$ just to make sure we can make a reasonable offer to land Paul and not ruin our salary cap.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
That's why I said I don't think he's a real Knickerbocker, because if he was he'd wait until he hit the free agency and no matter what the new CBA would be he'd ask for less $$$ just to make sure we can make a reasonable offer to land Paul and not ruin our salary cap.

Or have Gallo + Felton + Randolph + Mozgov + multiple draft picks to offer in a trade for CP3 or Howard.

Heck, I think a lineup of Felton, Fields, Melo, Amare, Mozgov w/ Gallo, Douglas, Shumpert, Randolph, Turiaf, Williams off the bench would have been a contender.

The Melo trade really screwed us. Melo better win us a championship this year or next. It's all on his shoulders now. Let's see how well he handles it.

By the way, Melo wouldn't have lost hardly anything with the new CBA. So many people here supported Melo's greed by saying he would have lost $15-20 mil.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Now we have a two-men-combine that can score even up to 60 points, the problems is that our machine is made of two very individual parts that have to learn how to share the court. One of those parts can even grab 17 rebounds and score 42 points in one game, in the playoffs, against the C's and he could give us that pleasure every single game night playing lots of extraordinary offense and some incredible defense but he's a lazy ass...

Kiyaman

Legend
Or have Gallo + Felton + Randolph + Mozgov + multiple draft picks to offer in a trade for CP3 or Howard.

Heck, I think a lineup of Felton, Fields, Melo, Amare, Mozgov w/ Gallo, Douglas, Shumpert, Randolph, Turiaf, Williams off the bench would have been a contender.

The Melo trade really screwed us. Melo better win us a championship this year or next. It's all on his shoulders now. Let's see how well he handles it.

By the way, Melo wouldn't have lost hardly anything with the new CBA. So many people here supported Melo's greed by saying he would have lost $15-20 mil.

I didnt like the Melo-trade, but I understood it at the time we made it....
Amare was aghausted/tired/and beat up from MAN-ing the PF & Center
spot 40 minutes per game in January, which lead to a shoulder injury.

Chauncy Billups was the best part of the Melo-trade for the Knicks.
The Knicks as a team has been in dire need of a creative PG (Billups)
with the ability to control a game, coach, show leadership on the court,
on bench, and in lockerroom. Investing in Billups is investing in an improve
TD/Fields/Shump....Rautins talents may improve too.
Billups have two seasons left in him.

Dolans comment on one year contracts were before the CBA lockout.
The amnesty/frenzy FA signings/sign n trade/and the finish CBA rules
on Dec 9th, could alter Dolan's one year contract fever for CP3.

As for the 2011 top salary FA (Melo & Zach Randolph) they wouldve
been foolish not signing $$$ before the CBA negotiation on July 1st.

Kiyaman

Legend
Now we have a two-men-combine that can score even up to 60 points, the problems is that our machine is made of two very individual parts that have to learn how to share the court. One of those parts can even grab 17 rebounds and score 42 points in one game, in the playoffs, against the C's and he could give us that pleasure every single game night playing lots of extraordinary offense and some incredible defense but he's a lazy ass...

Real Talk....Dantoni, Amare, and Melo are "One Dimensional"

Knicks chemistry on both sides of the court will come from "O.G" Billups...

KingCharles34

All Star
I disagree with the theory that both Amare and Carmelo are one dimensional. I believe there not better but more versatile then Lebron and Wade.

Amare and Melo can both score from mid range, short range, post up, and dunk. Carmelo is a very good rebounder for his position, he can hit the 3 and play great defense when he wants too. Amare I think puts more effort in on defense but just doesnt know how to play it. Sometimes they can both be on the selfish side, but sometimes they both do a nice job of sharing the ball. Stat at times can be a great help defender, he averaged just under 2 blocks a game last year and altered some shots. He gets off the ground quick. Carmelo is the type of defender that can really smother another player. When he plays defense like that its alotta fun to watch but for the most part he doesnt. Hes got quick hands. I think he needs to play a little more bully ball and take a few less 3's, i remember one game last year he used and abused vince carter.

Wade and Lebron, both of their best skills are attacking the rim. Wade is the better shooter from mid range, Lebron shoots better from long range. But neither one of them is a great shooter and thats where there problems start. Teams can clog the paint more against them. Out of your Pg, Sg, and SF i think its key to have at least 2/3 of them be good 3 point shooters and u gotta hit the mid range shots consistently too. Thats how u open up the paint and beat the zone defense. Wade and Lebron shoulda been shooting 1000 3 pointers everyday this offseason. All 4 players can create their own offense but i gotta give Wade and Bron the edge here. Overall Stat and Melo are more consistent with their mid range shots and Carmelo is a better 3 point shooter then both Bron and Wade. I think they could potentially work better in a teams offense then bron and wade. I can agree to disagree here, but i think i made good points as to why Melo and STAT are not one dimensional players. I've heard alotta Knicks fans say this but I dont think they will have any problems sharing the court after a month.

Last edited:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
I disagree with the theory that both Amare and Carmelo are one dimensional. I believe there not better but more versatile then Lebron and Wade.

Amare and Melo can both score from mid range, short range, post up, and dunk. Carmelo is a very good rebounder for his position, he can hit the 3 and play great defense when he wants too. Amare I think puts more effort in on defense but just doesnt know how to play it. Sometimes they can both be on the selfish side, but sometimes they both do a nice job of sharing the ball. Stat at times can be a great help defender, he averaged just under 2 blocks a game last year and altered some shots. He gets off the ground quick. Carmelo is the type of defender that can really smother another player. When he plays defense like that its alotta fun to watch but for the most part he doesnt. Hes got quick hands. I think he needs to play a little more bully ball and take a few less 3's, i remember one game last year he used and abused vince carter.

Wade and Lebron, both of their best skills are attacking the rim. Wade is the better shooter from mid range, Lebron shoots better from long range. But neither one of them is a great shooter and thats where there problems start. Teams can clog the paint more against them. Out of your Pg, Sg, and SF i think its key to have at least 2/3 of them be good 3 point shooters and u gotta hit the mid range shots consistently too. Thats how u open up the paint and beat the zone defense. Wade and Lebron shoulda been shooting 1000 3 pointers everyday this offseason. All 4 players can create their own offense but i gotta give Wade and Bron the edge here. Overall Stat and Melo are more consistent with their mid range shots and Carmelo is a better 3 point shooter then both Bron and Wade. I think they could potentially work better in a teams offense then bron and wade. I can agree to disagree here, but i think i made good points as to why Melo and STAT are not one dimensional players. I've heard alotta Knicks fans say this but I dont think they will have any problems sharing the court after a month.

Bron and Wade are top five players in the NBA. Melo and Amar'e are not. Bron and Wade are all-around players. Melo and Amar'e are not. Bron is probably the best player in the league. He took the Cleavland Cavs (and single-handedly won 40+ games for them).

We need a extraordinarily good defensive player to make up for our deficiencies. There are two people out there right now that I can see helping us in Tyson Chandler and Dwight Howard. We will not likely get either.

Just to let everybody know, it seems like there are going to be some rules attached to the amnesty clause that may make it difficult for the Knicks to get a quality player.

Some rumors going around are that only teams under the cap will be alowed to bid for amnestied players. And the highest bidder under the cap gets the player for as many years that were left on his contract.

I hope these rumors are false because if it is true it will essentially eliminate the Knicks (we are over the cap and only want 1 year deals) from getting any quality amnestied players.

Also a side note, the league office has announced that the cap this year and next year will be the same as last year, $58 mil. The luxury tax will be $70 mil. Starting in year 3 of the new CBA, the cap will be based on the coming year's projections.

I just cant see that happening at the end of the day whether a player is bid on or not, that player and his agent can basically say "no" we do not want to sign with your team sorry.

eventually the bidding war will be between who the players agent says the player would be willing to go to, personally I think amnesty will be more of an offseason thing for next summer, than a mid season thing; the process and negotiations would take too long and be too distracting to both the players, coaches, gm's and the teams.

i.e. gilbert arenas

no gilbert will not sign with the timberwolves, he will only go to the lakers, knicks, or portland.

ok now out of those 3 he mostly wants knicks or lakers etc etc etc

portland wins the bid

hmmm now how long does he stay in portland blah blah blah blah blah

this will be painful.

mafra

Legend
Amar'e & Carmelo are arguably the top SF/PF combo in the NBA. Both are top-10 players.

The pair works together beautifully, in a basketball sense.

All we need is the PG to make it work. Billups this year. Maybe Paul or Deron (but most likely Nash) in 2012.

PG-Amar'e run the pick-&-roll, and if defense takes this away, ball gets skipped across court to wing, as the premier 1-on-1 player goes ISO.

Since there's no stud BIG in NBA to dump ball to in the blocks, you really cannot devise a better half-court offense than having this trio.

As for the PG, in our system he needs to decide who gets the ball. SEE playoffs vs BOS. Game-1, Billups ran show and we were poised to win. Game-2, we didn't know who to feed the ball to down the stretch.

If MDA is coach next year, then we just need a guy to hit the 3, run the P&R, and can dominate ball knowing where to pass it. Paul is perfect, but Nash would suffice.

If Phil Jax takes over, well... He never really had a dominant PG in LA or CHI anyway.

So, all this CP3 talk is mute. I would actually prefer Nash, and 2 free agents (a 3-point shooting SG and a defensive-minded C) over going all max-out for Paul.

Say we go out and take a 1 year gamble on both Grant Hill & Brandon Heywood... Would this be crazy?

If I'm correct? Isn't the amnesty thing... basically placing a player on waivers. Most likely, nobody wants to claim a guy and take the contract. So, if player clears waivers... They get buyput from their team and are free to sign anywhere?

Then, the player will take a 1-yr deal to prove worth?

If this is true... And we could get 1 guy...

I would roll the dice on Brandon Roy. Sign Kwame Brown.

Billups
Roy
Carmelo
Amar'e
Brown

KingCharles34

All Star
Bron and Wade are top five players in the NBA. Melo and Amar'e are not. Bron and Wade are all-around players. Melo and Amar'e are not. Bron is probably the best player in the league. He took the Cleavland Cavs (and single-handedly won 40+ games for them).

We need a extraordinarily good defensive player to make up for our deficiencies. There are two people out there right now that I can see helping us in Tyson Chandler and Dwight Howard. We will not likely get either.

Although i mentioned the few things that Melo and STat do well defensively, that wasnt meant to be an all around comparison. I was comparing the offensive versatility of the two duo's

Just another reason why reading is fundamental, it was one of the first things i said in my post

I believe there not better but more versatile then Lebron and Wade.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We should keep enough cap space open to pick up either Howard or CP3 if one comes in as a free agent. I don't think we can trade for either of them unless we give up like every single first-round draft pick we have for the next 30 years, and we don't want to get into that situation.

Use the MLE on Brendan Haywood if he gets amnestied, and focus on using this year to develop Shumpert, Fields, and getting some experience out of Jerome Jordan and Josh Harrellson and seeing if they're NBA-level guys.

portega1968

El Cacique
The first victims are on the amnesty waiver

Vince Carter
Gilbert Arenas

At least 15 more should be expected in these coming days.

As far as the Knicks are concerned, we would have to wait to see if any of them are not claimed by under-the-cap teams, and if we can agree with the ones we want.

I don't think either of these two would not be claimed, but if they are available to us, I would like to have VC as our starting 2guard.