Chris Paul's First Choice Is To Sign With Knicks

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
Chris Paul's First Choice Is To Sign With Knicks

Nov 29, 2011 12:31 AM EST
Paul_Chris_noh_110310.jpg

The New York Knicks are Chris Paul's preferred destination, according to sources.

Paul is willing to wait until becoming a free agent next summer to sign with the Knicks.

Paul would also consider signing with the Clippers, but their first is to sign Dwight Howard with their cap space.

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN (via Twitter)

Chris Paul, New Orleans Hornets, New York Knicks, NBA, NBA Signing Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
Well the Clippers can definitely offer a better package for Paul than we can. I would prefer Howard, but I hope we can get one of the two.

But this is Chris Broussard. He will eventually say Clippers prefer Paul, then they have a deal in place, then the Knicks are in on Paul, then the Heat will get Paul and Howard, then the Hornets will keep Paul, etc.

if he is telling Melo and Amare stuff like this the knicks should offer something like this

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c697cr7

everybody wins :afro:

and the hornets and suns have a lot of money come the 2012 off season.

Well everyone wins......except the Hornets get an awful return for Paul. They would want at least Field, probably Iman too since we have no picks until about 2052 or so.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Anthony, Stoudemire, Fields, Shumpert and maybe Jordan would be untouchable, Fields might be able to be gotten but the Hornets have no leverage

Would Chris Paul pay to play in NYC?

CP3 would have to forego tens of millions to team up with Melo and Amare in New York

By John Hollinger
ESPN.com
Archive
nba_a_anthony_paul_b1_576.jpg

AP Photo/Mary AltafferConsider Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony just ships passing -- there's little chance they play together.
We've been hearing since the infamous wedding toast of last summer that Carmelo Anthony, Amare Stoudemire and Chris Paul want to play together for the Knicks. We're two-thirds of the way there. Melo and Amare are already Knicks, and CP can become a free agent after the season and sign with New York. Looks like a slam dunk, right?
Not so fast.
It appears the only realistic way that Paul can end up in Gotham would be if he is willing to take a massive pay cut. He would likely make about 60 percent as much in New York as he could make in New Orleans and, even in the best-case scenario, forego tens of millions of dollars compared to playing in other markets.
Let's quickly follow the salary-cap logic involved in Paul moving to the Knicks as a free agent:
? The current salary cap is at $58 million with the players taking a 51.1 percent share of BRI.
? Next year, the players' share goes down to 50 percent, likely offsetting any increase in BRI itself. In other words, one can reasonably expect next season's salary cap to be right around $58 million.
? The Knicks have $39.5 million committed just to Stoudemire and Anthony. (And before you ask, they cannot renegotiate their contracts downward.)
? Even if the Knicks got rid of everybody else and just had those two on the roster, the 10 "cap holds" for minimum salary players would occupy another $5 million in salary cap space.
? That means the Knicks have an absolute minimum of $44.5 million committed.
? Which, in turn, leaves the Knicks with an absolutely best-case scenario of a $13.5 million starting salary for Paul.
Paul will make $16.4 million this year and would be opting out of $17.7 million in 2011-12. Should he opt out next summer, a new five-year contract with the Hornets would start at $17.177 million and pay him as much as $22.3 million by the end -- a total of $98.8 million. In comparison, over the life of the maximum allowable four-year deal with the Knicks, he could get only $57.6 million.
So if Paul really wants to go to New York, he can go -- as long as he's willing to give up, at a minimum, forty million dollars to do it. (The same, incidentally, applies for Deron Williams or Dwight Howard.)
In fact, even this scenario seems optimistic as far as Paul's New York earning potential; it would basically involve New York giving away Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas, and Landry Fields, not to mention whatever players the Knicks sign this offseason or draft next June. The Knicks would have only the "mini" mid-level and a bunch of minimum contracts to use to surround Paul, Anthony and Amare -- they'd have vastly less, in other words, than even the Heat had to work with last summer.
Should the Knicks keep Shumpert and Douglas around, New York would have just $11 million for Paul's starting salary, and the total value of the contract would be half what he could get by staying a Hornet; even compared with leaving the Hornets and signing with another team for the full maximum, he'd be leaving about $30 million on the table.
Around this point, Knicks fans will point out that a free-agent signing isn't the only way Paul can end up in New York. He could also try to force a trade, and that wouldn't be as financially damaging. Paul's potential earnings improve somewhat if he wants to do a sign-and-trade or an extend-and-trade, although they still lag behind what he can make by staying.
Alas, there's one little problem with that: The Knicks would need something worth trading. Sorry, New Yorkers, the Hornets aren't giving away their superstar for Chauncey Billups' expiring contract and Douglas. They can't even trade a draft pick, as their 2012, 2014 and 2016 first-round picks are all owed to other teams and the league forbids teams from trading picks in consecutive years. In other words, if New Orleans decides to pre-emptively trade CP to avoid losing him as a free agent, there's a zero percent chance of his landing on the Knicks to join Amare and Melo.
Moreover, if the Hornets are convinced CP is leaving, it's hard to imagine them passively waiting around for Paul to ditch them in the summer. Especially after that whole LeBron thing two summers ago.
This is why I argued the Knicks overpaid in the Anthony trade with Denver rather than being patient and signing him outright over the summer -- they have no assets left to make a deal for Paul, and yet from a financial standpoint, trading for Paul is the most realistic route to bringing him on board.
Or rather, they do have one asset if it's important enough to them: They could trade Anthony for Paul.
No matter how you slice it, it seems somewhere between highly unlikely and virtually impossible for Paul to end up with Amare and Melo on the Knicks. He can't force a trade there, he'd take a financial bath signing there as a free agent, and the Hornets aren't going to sit idly by and lose him for nothing. The CP-to-New York talk to match Miami's Big 3 makes for fun conversation for this winter, but the Knicks lost hope of this happening the day they made the Anthony trade.

Paul in New York probably ain't gonna happen, unless we trade Melo or Amar'e.....which is not gonna happen either, so we better focus on the supporting cast for Melo and STAT and try to turn STAT into a half decent defender.

Maybe Deron Williams is desperate enough by the summer of 2012 to sign for the mid level exception :cool:

Other than that, we'll need a PG next summer...

CA7

Scoring Champ
The Hornets have no leverage, either lose him for nothing or get an expiring contract and 2 young guards Douglas and Fields or Shumpert, plus 3mil cash and maybe Harrelson.

The cap next year will be as low as 58mil or as high as 62mil, it depends on how much revenue the league generates.

Anthony, Stoudemire, Shumpert and Jordan will take up say 43mil and if the cap is hopefully the highest it can be 62mil thats leave 19mil to play with for CP3 and at least 2 re-signings since we'll have some guys with bird rights which will then give us the MLE say we-sign Turiaf and Williams and we go over the cap we then get a MLE and Bi-Annual exception to add 2 more pieces, everyone said the Miami Big 2 and 1/2 wouldnt work but it did and they re-signed Haslem and Anthony as well as getting Mike Miller

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
My question is, what is the league able to do if we offer Paul a maximum contract besides of mandating the Knicks (i.e. Dolan) to pay higher luxury tax rate and limitating our MLE rights to so-called mini MLE? Does the league have a right to forbid this possible deal?

p0nder

Starter
how many times do i have to hear "it's impossible" when it comes to the knicks? it was impossible that they could shed salary and trade the players they did. it was impossible to get to the playoffs, it's impossible to get carmelo, it's impossible to get a big FA to sign here (stat). It's impossible to win with d'antoni. It's impossible to succeed! the knicks are f*$Ked any way you slice it. it's just impossible guys!

whats that slogan they got going?

where "impossible" happens

LJ4ptplay

Starter
The only way CP3 becomes a Knick is the Knicks giving up everybody on the roster except Melo and Amare. Either by trade (Billups + Douglas + Fields + Shumpert) or by signing CP3 as a free agent. I really don't see CP3 accepting an $11m offer from the Knicks.

But if he does, more power to him. He would immediately become my favorite Knick for sacrificing so much to come here. Unlike Marshmelobury, who demanded we sacrifice for him on the chance he might lose money, which incidentally, he wouldn't have lost a dime had he signed here this offseason (as I predicted). Pffff.

LeFlume

All Star
I think that what ever CP3 would lose in salary, he would make up twice off the court by being a part of the NYC BIG3..It's neon and broadway...You can't lose money.

nyk_nyk

All Star
As much as I hate to admit it, that Hollinger piece is very true. Amare and Melo are making too much money to allow for a 3rd max contract. It could be done but the team would be void of any significant role players. We'd have to give up our young guys and replace them with min salary vets at the end of their careers or below average players.

This worked in MIA because they got Bosh and Lebron at the same time so it was easier to work out the salary structure from the beginning. As long as the cap is set at 58 mil, it will be very difficult to make it happen and still have a decent team.

:boohoo:

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
The only way CP3 becomes a Knick is the Knicks giving up everybody on the roster except Melo and Amare. Either by trade (Billups + Douglas + Fields + Shumpert) or by signing CP3 as a free agent. I really don't see CP3 accepting an $11m offer from the Knicks.

But if he does, more power to him. He would immediately become my favorite Knick for sacrificing so much to come here. Unlike Marshmelobury, who demanded we sacrifice for him on the chance he might lose money, which incidentally, he wouldn't have lost a dime had he signed here this offseason (as I predicted). Pffff.

LJ I think CP3 is one of the few guys who would and is willing to do this unlike Melo. Call me crazy but I think they were for real at that wedding , I think they are gonna do whatever they can do in their power to see this thing through. :gony:

nyk_nyk

All Star
LJ I think CP3 is one of the few guys who would and is willing to do this unlike Melo. Call me crazy but I think they were for real at that wedding , I think they are gonna do whatever they can do in their power to see this thing through. :gony:

I hope your're right because if its about the money then it won't happen.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Guys, The Hornets have no choice, either Paul signs less in a New York and get every endorsement possible, he has Jordan which is under Nike which means he'll get a raise since he plays in NY or LA, the BIG 3 will be on every billboard, talk show, no to mention he'll get a percentage of his merchandise since it will sell like hot cakes.

NBA Contracts aren't the only places stars make money, Shaq has stated he has yet to spend a cent of his NBA money, The reason LeBron took less was to win he is going to make money regardless same for Chris Paul, who is back in the public eye after his great playoff series

Here's the trade

Chris Paul and Emeka Okafor for Chauncey Billups, Landry Fields, Toney Douglas, Ronnie Turiaf, Josh Harrelson, 1st Round Pick(2016), 2 2nd round picks, 3mil cash

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Guys, The Hornets have no choice, either Paul signs less in a New York and get every endorsement possible, he has Jordan which is under Nike which means he'll get a raise since he plays in NY or LA, the BIG 3 will be on every billboard, talk show, no to mention he'll get a percentage of his merchandise since it will sell like hot cakes.

NBA Contracts aren't the only places stars make money, Shaq has stated he has yet to spend a cent of his NBA money, The reason LeBron took less was to win he is going to make money regardless same for Chris Paul, who is back in the public eye after his great playoff series

Here's the trade

Chris Paul and Emeka Okafor for Chauncey Billups, Landry Fields, Toney Douglas, Ronnie Turiaf, Josh Harrelson, 1st Round Pick(2016), 2 2nd round picks, 3mil cash

Even with the $3M cash that trade is approx $4M short of being within trade regulations.

EDIT:

I have a question for anyone capable of answering:

If CP3 is traded under his current contract and extends, will he still receive higher (higher than pending CBA) annual increments to his salary BECAUSE he is extending his current CBA contract?

nyk_nyk

All Star

Here's the trade

So you think NO will take Billups (rental and disgruntled), Fields, TD (undersized SG), Turiaf (Injury prone), Jorts (unproven), 1st rd pick (5 yrs away), two 2nd rd picks (not nearly as valuabe as a 1st plus we'd have no picks for years) and 3 mil? Really, all this mediocre stuff for their superstar PG? The best PG in the entire NBA?

We might as well give up all our role players because 3 max salaries can't accomodate everyone.

p0nder

Starter
I honestly don't think it's about the money in this situation. I think these guys saw an opportunity to align in new york, and given the miami super friends situation they realized they might not have a chance to win any rings unless they do so.

Without a Paul or Howard caliber player on the court I don't know if the knicks will beat the heat in a series with the players we have now. In saying that I think we will see that in the end of the year as I fully expect both teams to make it to the ECF if they don't face off before then.

That will also stand as my expectation of the team this year. Either make the ECF or at least defeat one of the top teams in the east in a series. I expect that the knicks will finish in 3rd in the east behind the heat and the bulls. If they get into the playoffs at 5 or less I won't be impressed and I think we'll have to look at a bigger shake up either in coaching or personnel.

I expect Paul to do what Melo did and refuse to sign an extension with any team other then the Knicks. I think he has played enough ball on a less then stellar team to realize that even if he goes to the clippers on a rental deal, he'll be better off in NY. I think Paul is a mature person, even though he is so young.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Could Cablevision offer Paul a $40Mil endorsement to promote their non-Knick related services to make up for him taking a lower salary? I doubt it, and there probably is rules against that type of manipulation but I have never actually read that it was illegal. Does anyone know for sure?