Melo Stood To LOse $5.8M If He Signed As A FA

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
alg_knicks_melo_mar201.jpg

The difference between Carmelo Anthony?s existing contract and the one he could have received as a free agent under the rules of the new collective bargaining agreement comes out to a total of $5.8 million over the same four years.

$82.69 million is the total value of Anthony?s existing contract, which arose out of the extend-and-trade transaction sending Anthony from Denver to the Knicks before the trade deadline last season. Had Anthony opted to terminate his contract and become a free agent in the coming days, he would have been eligible for a maximum-salary contract of $76.89 million over a period from this 2011-12 season through the 2014-15 season, the identical term of his existing contract.

Note that the extension Anthony did sign was built off the $18.52 million option year he held in this 2011-12 season. Any new free-agent max deal would have reset and started at $18.01 million. That lower starting point and the lesser annual raises of 4.5% ? compared to the 10.5% annual raises that governed Anthony?s contract under the previous CBA ? account for the $5.8 million of compensation that Anthony would have lost by becoming a free agent on December 9. Essentially Anthony would have taken a seven percent reduction in pay.

In the months before the trade to New York, Anthony gave mixed signals about his willingness to wait for free agency and risk a new salary cap that could significantly decrease his earning capacity. But it was believed that Anthony?s representatives at Creative Arts Agency were determined that their client would have the security of a signed deal before the CBA expired. The Nets were in the hunt to trade for Anthony and extend his contract, and the Nuggets reportedly preferred the Nets? offer, both teams hoping anxiety about the impending labor dispute would compel Anthony to sign off on a move to New Jersey.

At the time, some at ESPN were predicting that Anthony could face dramatic salary compression approaching $40 million if he passed on the extension and tested free agency this season.

Existing Contract Under Previous CBA

$18,518,574
$19,444,503
$21,388,953
$23,333,456
------------
$82,685,486

Hypothetical Contract Under New CBA

$18,006,705
$18,817,007
$19,627,309
$20,437,611
------------
$76,888,632

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man. Only $5.8M.

That is basically chump change for someone who has already made well over $100M.

I know that what's done is done, and he is as good as he is, but considering what we let go for his wallet being $5.8M fatter, I can't help but look back and say: "****"

Imagine the flexibility $5.8M would afford us now if Melo had signed as a free agent. Not to mention our ability to trade Gallo, Chandler, Randolph, Felton to round out the team as best as possible.

A mere $5.8M would be a huge boon for us come December 9th.

Instead, we've got the blind faithful thinking we can offer Billups, Shumpert, Fields and all our picks (leaving is with none for nigh on a decade), for CP3.

420x316-alg_felton-gallinari-mozgov.jpg

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216830/Carmelo_Would_Have_Lost_$58M_Without_Extend_And_Trade#ixzz1f9JkIkXC

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Timofey Mozgov, Anthony Randolph, a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, $3 mil in cash and all cap flexibility and assets so Melo could make an extra $1.45 mil a year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

And Eddy Curry's half paid contract to Minnesota for their cap relief.

God ****ing damn.

You/I/we/anyone, can not call this a good trade with any conviction.

Painful to read.

Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Timofey Mozgov, Anthony Randolph, a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, $3 mil in cash and all cap flexibility and assets so Melo could make an extra $1.45 mil a year.

ummm nooo
because with melo signing here in the off season

you are telling me we would of been able to keep felton, galo, chandler, moz , randolph ? haha

why is every one still illogically stuck on the wrong math.

essentially we traded either

chandler

or

gallo

plus mozgof for melo

randolph was traded to get rid of curry's contract for this and next offseason

chandler or gallo both would never of been able to be resigned

and mozgof sucked balls

felton was decent, but I would rather have billups

we didnt trade melo for all those guys

we traded billups 14 mil plus veteran abilty to still play coming off the books

plus melo a 26 year old superstar who is still improving

and financially got rid of chandler and gallo

stopppppp

cryinnnggggg

of course it was a bad trade

NOTTTTT

because gallinari is going to bring chris paul to NY ???

because felton is better than billups haha

because gallinari is better than Melo

oh oh wait wait

chandler and mozgof are future hall of famers

you are all morons
im sorry

I try to be nice but you provoke me to spill the beans on all you fake wannabe fans on this forum.

We have CARMELO ANTHONY

AMARE STAT

and are on the verge of having chris paul run our offense ????

WTF ARE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT JESUS CHRIST

2 years ago we had al harrington nate robinson and david lee as our big 3

F@#@# GALLO

F@#$@!#@! CHANDLER

F@$#@#@# Felton

F#$#$# MOZgof

and F@#@#@#@ randolph

all those dudes are losers

inconsistent

passive non super star material players who wont amount to more than 6th man of the year honors.

Im so angry with you people at this point its unreal.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Crazy 8 is right. Those numbers don't lie. The idea of having Chandler, Mozgov, Randolph and Galli on the team with Melo would be great. Not to mention we would have some first round picks.

Melo was frigging greedy.

We made the deal because we hadto, and there should be no regretting that. However,with the benefit of hindsight, it would have been better if Melo just waited (and he wouldn't have lost out on that much).

Also, DFDH, to see you write about guys, who helped to bring our team out of the brink, with such disdain is upsetting, to say the least.

Chandler, Mozgov, Gallinari, Felton, and even Randolph were fun to watch and talented players.

You shouldn't be so disrespectful.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Okay, some math and stats (especially for DFDH) :

Gallinari, Mozgov, Felton and Randolph are all under contracts of total value of $17,1M in the 2011/12 season. Billups and Balkman have contracts worth $15.9M, so there is a difference of $1.2M in our salary cap, but don't forget Anthony would earn $0.5M less than he does now, which means the gap between both caps would reach max. $0.7M.

Thanks for saving me the time to expound to the mathematical non-enthusiasts there.

of course it was a bad trade

I try to be nice but you provoke me to spill the beans on all you fake wannabe fans on this forum.

We have CARMELO ANTHONY

AMARE STAT

and are on the verge of having chris paul run our offense ????

Are you honestly so inane that you can not see past your opinion? I mean, we get it, your opinion is very, very important to you, (so much so that you'll insult others just to stroke it) but come on.

We're on the verge of signing Chris Paul, are we? If so, then so is the rest of the league.

Is this a basketball version of blind faith?

I'll put the term 'moron' down to total irrationality on your behalf, but as far as being called a fake fan goes, **** you!

My fandom is not determined by your self defensive opinion.

Speaking of which, why don't you make a stake to your claim, and rationalize your point of 'on the verge of having CP3 run our offense?

Firstly, because it's apparent you need some algebraic assistance, why don't you have a look at Dzwonnson's post, and then proceed.

Show us all how the post Melo trade Knicks can acquire CP3, while teams like New Jersey and Boston are throwing All Star calibre players and first round picks at N.O.

Do you have so much blind faith in CP3 saying 'I won't sign an extension with X team'?

This is right in line with your 45-37 season prediction with David Lee, rookie Gallo, Chandler and Harrington as our core a couple years back. Warped.

I still rate you highly as a KO member, by the way.:smokin:

mafra

Legend

Couldn't have stated it better than this. You've been consistent all the way on this issue too. Like I mentioned when the deal went down: If Knicks fail to win a title, or at least battle for a few Eastern Conf. Finals & a NBA Championship title loss or something (akin to Ewing error), Carmelo Anthony has to take heat for a collosal missed opportunity. EPIC FAILURE.

I'll take a wait-&-see approach on this one. BUt Carmelo has nowhere to hide now.

Here we are. All Anthony had to do was wait and he could be a Knick today.

"Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Timofey Mozgov, Anthony Randolph, a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, $3 mil in cash"

Well, Chandler would still be a free agent (& probably in China still), & we might've dealt AR anyway. But even so...

Carmelo would be joining a group that includes Amar'e, Gallo & Felton.

Felton
Fields
Carmelo
Amar'e
Turiaf

Gallo the 6th man & 4th Q sniper. Shump.

Now, would we rather have that or Billups?

We could also have trade chips (Felton & Gallo) for Chirs Paul.

NOW.. to find out all this was done to preserve less than 2 mil per year for Carmelo? Stupid cat doesn't realize he LEAVES $ on the table... Had he come here and won NBA title this year... His mktg value would have skyrocketed and he recoups that 2 mil plus some.

SO, this is on you Anthony. Let's hope we don't regret the move.

I mean, we pulled the trigger to get you here early, to bring Billups here... And what we got was a first round sweep. Not good.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I actually wanted to revise my calculations, so I deleted my previous post (the one that 80s quoted), so below I'm serving you another portion of (corrected) numbers:

I want to compare our financial (salary cap) situation and possibilities for both 2011 and 2012 offseasons concerning which way we'd choose to acquire Carmelo Anthony.

Everyone knows how our current and 2012 salary cap will look like, so allow me to present you how it could look like if we decided to land CA via his free agency.

Gallinari, Mozgov, Felton and Randolph are all under contracts of total value of $17,1M in the 2011/12 season. Billups and Balkman have contracts worth $15.9M, so there is a tiny difference of $1.2M in our salary cap, but please mention that Anthony would earn $0.5M less than he does now, which means the gap between both caps decreases to max. $0.7M.
Our salary cap in the 2011/12 season is approximately $59.6M (9 players), acquiring CA during his free agency would lead to a cap of $60.3M (11 players). If we added our rookies (Jordan, Shumpert, Harrellson) and signed a vet (minimum salary, multiple years) our cap would increase up to $64M (way below the luxury tax threshold). During the 2012 offseason the Knicks' cap would again decrease to $47.9M level. Then we could use our amnesty rights to wipe Randolph's $4M contract off the books, which limits our financial burden to a $43.9M (7 players) salary cap. $14M would probably be enough to convince Paul to wear blue and orange. We sign a preferable player making use of our full MLE rights, resign Gallo using the Bird exception, Raymond via non-Bird exception and sign our 1st round 2012 rookie under rookie scale contract. We have still three spots left we can fill signing preferable players under the minimum salary exception and we got our BIG 3 + some talented role players.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@mafra: Billups presence in the locker room and his championship experience are unquestionable, but if we put it down to effectiveness he isn't much better than Felton.

Billups: 31 MPG, 40% FG, 33% 3P, 90% FT, 3.1 RPG, 5.5 APG, 17.5 PPG
Felton: 38 MPG, 42% FG, 33% 3P, 87% FT, 3.6 RPG, 9.0 APG, 17.1 PPG

p0nder

Starter
And what if Melo got traded to the Nets instead and we didn't make the playoffs, didn't secure a 2nd superstar talent and we're sitting here with STAT and a thumb up our ass cause we didn't pull the trigger?

Does Melo leave a team that's moving to brooklyn, has a young cast of good players and money to spend on building a team so he can wear orange and blue?

Are we even in consideration for CP3 then? Does a cast of felton, fields, gallo, chandler and STAT even make the playoffs? I don't think we'd be competing for a ECF berth with that cast.

Better the devil you know, then the devil you don't.

Honestly I think some people get so attached to these players that they get blinded by the realities of the business and the game. I am betting a lot of people crying about Melo's trade are the same people that felt replacing D.Lee with STAT was a lateral move. smh.

Making the trade when we did allowed STAT MELO and BILLUPS to gel, work together, work with the coach and get some playoff basketball in NY. These intangible benefits won't show up on any contract or # crunching analysis. But they are a force that will show up on the court this year and serve us well when we reach the playoffs.

My point is that there is more to the game then the #'s in contract negotiations.

Crazy 8 is right. Those numbers don't lie. The idea of having Chandler, Mozgov, Randolph and Galli on the team with Melo would be great. Not to mention we would have some first round picks.

Melo was frigging greedy.

We made the deal because we hadto, and there should be no regretting that. However,with the benefit of hindsight, it would have been better if Melo just waited (and he wouldn't have lost out on that much).

Also, DFDH, to see you write about guys, who helped to bring our team out of the brink, with such disdain is upsetting, to say the least.

THE BRINK OF WHAT

FOOLS

the only reason those members of our former team were on the brink of anything was because of
AMARE

AMARE
AMARE
AMARE
AMARE

we would of been tanked in the bottom of the league with a top 5 lottery pick again if it was left in the hands of Gallo and Chandler to lead us to the BRINK.

Im sorry
and yes my opinion is very important to me

but its beyond an opinion

our team was made up of role players and bench players and chuckers
and inconsistent scorers

now we have a core of veterans

proven winners

gold medal winners

perrenial all stars

and world champions

please stop for a second and recognize the insanity.

mafra

Legend
@mafra: Billups presence in the locker room and his championship experience are unquestionable, but if we put it down to effectiveness he isn't much better than Felton.

Billups: 31 MPG, 40% FG, 33% 3P, 90% FT, 3.1 RPG, 5.5 APG, 17.5 PPG
Felton: 38 MPG, 42% FG, 33% 3P, 87% FT, 3.6 RPG, 9.0 APG, 17.1 PPG

True. But we know what CB brings in the post season. NYK was poised to win Game-1 until Billups got hurt. But, let's also remember that we could called DEN/Melo's bluff... but would we be cool with NYJ trading for him?

Then again, UTAH would have accepted our package for Deron... And ball would be in Melo's court right now. We could be sitting here with Amar'e, Deron and hoping that Carmelo would sign... BUt Carmelo wouldn't leave a few mil on the table, right?

I have mixed emotions here... Had so the entire time. If I was Walsh... I have to make the deal. If you can get a player of CA's caliber, you don't hesitate... you don't blink... you just do it.

Remember Game-2 in BOS? CA was a monster!

Gallo may never be the player we hope he'll become. Felton is good, but is he the product of D'antoni's system (remember how Nelson & ORL ate RF alive). Wilson Chandler lacks motivation to be GREAT. Will be a good player. But he was a free agent anyway, and not consistent enough to invest millions/years on, no? The draft picks? Man, late 1st round picks just aren't going to do much for you anyway.

Getting a premier SF/PF combo in Amar'e & Carmelo is ideal. When Walsh took over, if he was to GUARANTEE that pair... plus cap space in 2012... We all would rush to build a statue for him in Duffy Square. He did that.

Plus he left us Douglas, Fields & Shumpert. He got something productive for us out of his 3 drafts. I think PLAN-A was to draft 2 lottery kids, and place those 2 pieces next to Lebron. But fate teased us, and we just missed out on guys like Westbrook & Curry.

I think after the 2009 playoffs, and with Westbrook off the board, the saw Gallinari is the type of player to excel in the D'antoni system. The went with who they envisoned had the most potential.

I think this plan was spoiled during the Olympics in China, and especially when Curry went to GSW.

If we had Curry & Gallinari... I believe we would have been cool with calling DEN's bluff, knowing if Melo went to NYJ, then we would just chill and wait for Howard.

Curry
Gallinari
Amar'e
Howard

This would have been the direction I go...

But Curry went to GSW. Lebron went to MIA. Walsh had to alter his plan.

I think the big mistake was going all out to get under cap, dealing JJ to HOU was FOOLISH. Not that Jordan Hill is all that, but trading Hill and a lottery pick... Well, that really hurt us last season.

We would've had plenty of pieces to deal for Deron or Melo, while keeping 2 of these 3 Felton-Gallo-Chandler.

Still, all this is mute. We have Carmelo & Amar'e. Let's forget about how we got here. We're here. Remember where we've been since Ewing-Spree-Houston. All those crappy rosters.

We have Billups-Amar'e-Carmelo in 2011. It all sort of builds itself from here on... Let's just hope we don't mess this up. It's all up to Amar'e-Carmelo now. Go prove yourself. Be a stud.

We must be shrewd and pick up a free agent (or 2) who can help. We really need Fields to progress, for Douglas to improve and for Shump to be legit.

Shump & Douglas could be a better version of Childs-Ward.

Fields could be a poor man's T-Prince.

I sense we sign Grant Hill and a BIG.

Billups/Douglas
Hill/Shumpert
Carmelo/Fields
Amar'e/Shawne Williams
Turiaf/Brown

Something like this might work?

mafra

Legend
What might be somethign that pisses us off for years... Imagine having Kenneth Faired instead of Shumpert.

The dude can rebound, defend and block shots.

I probably prefer Faired to THE MOZ.

Now DEN has both!

Not sure why we would roll the dice on a 6"6 G who can't shoot or handle the point. A major risk here. He can guard the wing? Great. Like anybody is stopping Lebron or Wade anyway.

Like trying to draft CB... Just stack your DL and you'll stop the pass.

Knicks should've been focused on protecting the rim.

Still, this will be D'ant's last year. Our failure was not getting him a PG in 4 years. Makes no sense to me.

Phil Jackson will step in.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@p0nder: we would make the playoffs without Carmelo, actually we had a better record before the trade. Maybe you're not seeing it, but nothing changed after the trade, we won some huge games the same way we did before the trade, we got on a wrong track that led us to a 6 games losing streak in March like we got to the same point in November...
This season will be crucial, will show us whether Carmelo was worth the price or we did a bad move..

p0nder

Starter
Would we have made the playoffs? That's speculative at best, as is all of this discussion and so it's mostly pointless. I feel in a trade scenario you can only really compare the value given up for the value received. No speculation on "what if he waited for free agency". There are way too many variables to accurately say "Melo should have waited until Dec. 1st, 2011 to sign with the knicks and then we'd be in a better place". While that may be true, it's also unreasonable to expect that would have been the outcome of *NOT* doing the deal. Someone else would of made the trade hoping he'd sign, Maybe Denver goes deep in the playoffs with him make the finals and he decides he'd rather stick it out in Denver. Maybe Boston or NJ or the Clippers make a huge play for him and he signs else where. Maybe the entire season (or more) is lost in the lockout and he signs with China and can't escape. Maybe, maybe, maybe... Just too many variables at work.

If we compare talent levels of given up players to what we got in return, I think we flat out "Won" the trade. 2 super star level players for a bunch of guys that barely fill out a roster? That's a no brainer.

And back to the intangible benefits of the trade; I think allowing Carmelo and co. to go through those experiences last year will be crucial in building their chemistry going forward. And crucial to this season's success. Instead of all those hiccups going on now at the beginning of a short season they are mostly done with. Moving forward from here is much easier with Carmelo and Billups already in place.

We are actually a leg up from where Miami was at this point last year because of it. We saw the struggles that they had last season in getting going and we saw that with the Knicks as well after the trade. But now that a season is done with I fully expect that the Knicks have it together enough to be competitive with Miami.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Can I end this non-sense

STAT and CB4 goes down during the 1st round series with Boston

does Ill Will or Gallo go for 42 and 17 while also running the offense...................HELL NO

Raymond Felton gets his ass bust by Rondo just like Toney Douglas, Mozgov gets torn up by KG, JO and Shaq

Who makes game winners against Indy and Memphis, who hits a game winner then makes the game winning block, does Gallo or Ill Will out perform LeBron in Miami and help make the defensive stop to save the game

Melo, CP3, STAT, Shumpert, Jordan>Anything the Knicks could have had and you fools wanted them to have

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
For ****'s sake.

Illiteracy is rife on this site.

How have any of the posters who see the pristine clarity of the issue with the Melo trade actually compared him to those that were traded? We KNOW that his talents eclipse theirs. ****ing hell.

Their, my, our, his take is not about talent VS talent, it's about scenario VS scenario! All for the sake of an extra $1M/year for one individual!

I beg you, get out your abacus and tally. Tally ho!

Do you not understand!?

Eye read word - brain get message - brain no work: seems like the process of deliberation is precisely that, honestly.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Could you remind me what is our record against the C's after acquiring mighty Carmelo? 0-6, we will get back to this topic when we finally win against Boston, because in G1 mighty Carmelo scored just 15 points (5-18!), added just 4 rebounds and missed the final shot. I'm not saying Carmelo is overrated, he's ****ing talented and G2 showed he can dominate all around, on both ends, but he simply suffers lack of motivation to play 100% in every game. Tell me when he's going to play consistent, hits 30+ points in 9 consecutive games or lead us to an 8 game winning streak...