D Rose is a one man team

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Rose Already Has His ?Buddies? On Team

December 1, 2011 ? 3:28PM
blog_scribe_asch.jpg

? For the latest updates check out: NBA.com?s Free Agent Tracker
DEERFIELD, Ill. ? In this age of AAU-like ?buddy ball,? with NBA stars conspiring with other marquee guys to ditch rivalries and team up on mega-teams, Derrick Rose remains, well, refreshing.
?I?m not going to do that. If you want to come here, come here, but it?s not up to me to make that decision,? Rose said Thursday afternoon during his first visit to the Bulls? practice facility since the NBA lockout unofficially ended. ?I?m not paying them. I?m on my rookie contract.?
That soon will change ? Rose eventually will sign a contract extension worth $100 million that will kick in for 2012-13 ? but that part was a joke anyway. What wasn?t was the reigning NBA Most Valuable Player?s commitment to the Chicago Bulls teammates he has now or at any given point.
The electric point guard raised some eyebrows when he didn?t lobby in the summer of 2010 for LeBron James, Dwyane Wade or any of the other big-name free agents to join the Bulls. And he?s not lobbying now that another free-agent frenzy has begun ? with fellows such as New York?s Amar?e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony happy to woo Chris Paul or others to their team.
Rose?s stance now is the same as it was 17 months ago: Want to play with the Bulls? Great, we?ll win together. Want to play somewhere else? Great, we?ll try to beat you.
?I know there?s a lot of people that want to play here, just Chicago being a great market, a great city to live in,? Rose said. ?The fans are great ? we have the No. 1 fans in the world. But like I say, it?s not up to me, it?s up to them to make a decision. I?ll meet with Pax [Bulls VP John Paxson] and Gar [GM Gar Forman] and them and see what they?re going to do.?
The conventional wisdom is that Chicago needs a backcourt piece who can create his own shot and take some of the offensive burden off Rose ? an upgrade over the tag team approach of Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer and Keith Bogans. But the local guy (Simeon High) who has made good sees that talk almost as disloyal to the fellows on the current roster.
?I?m fine with my teammates,? he said. ?If they choose to, that?s up to them. But my teammates that I have right now, I?m fine with them.
?When I look at it, I?m hard on myself. Any mistake that I do during a game, I think that everything is my fault. I hold myself for everything that went on during a game, because I have the ball a majority of the time, 80 percent or 90 percent of the time.
?It?s like, when I pass to people and they make a bad shot or whatever, I think it?s my fault because I put ?em in that position. Being a point guard, you think that way.?
Rose was the first Bulls player to show up at the Berto Center, the club?s practice facility in the northern suburbs of Chicago. He arrived a couple hours earlier than he initially planned and, finding the front entrance locked, got an assist from media people already behind the double doors who were waiting for him.
Rose touched on a few topics during a group interview with them:
  • Any 2011 update on his ?Why can?t I be MVP?? prescient comment from training camp 2010? ?This year I?m just trying to do better than last year. We?re trying to go further than last year. Last year, of course, it was a good season. But it?s last year. You never know how it?s going to go this year.?
  • So how about MVP of the postseason? ?That would be great. But my whole goal this year is to win the championship.?
  • Given how new the Bulls? roster was a year ago, will continuity work to Chicago?s advantage now? ?That was our first time coming together, and we made it that far. This year, I think we?re more comfortable with each other, knowing what we can do on the court, where guys are on the court at all times. I think it should help us out at the beginning.?
  • How did the MVP spend his extended offseason? ?Traveling. I went everywhere this summer. China, I went to like six places there. I went to Hawaii. Traveling to Portland, traveling back from here to L.A. Houston. If the lockout wasn?t over, I would have been going to the Dominican Republic. Went to Bora Bora with my mom. I went to a lot of places.?
  • How did the shoe commercial shoot in Spain go? ?It was cool. It was very hot out there. It was like three days, I was out there in, like, 110 degrees. I had a guy following me around with an umbrella. The guy?s name was Nacho. Nacho did a great job making sure I had shade.?
  • Did he interact with any real bulls? ?I didn?t get close to them. But the matadors, I met all of them, took pictures of them. There was actually one of them that they compared to Michael Jordan, that he?s the greatest ever. He wasn?t there at the time, I wanted to meet him but I didn?t get a chance to.?
  • Did Rose come close to signing with any overseas team? ?I wasn?t close at all. You know me, I always think positive about everything. I was just, for some strange reason, I always knew the season was going to start. But I didn?t know when.?
  • What did he make of the lockout and the business of basketball? ?It?s about money but more, it?s about fans. It was hurting me to see that the season was almost gone because we couldn?t make a decision, couldn?t make a deal. It was hurting me, but thank God we got a deal done. And hopefully the fans are ready for us.?

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I have much respect for D Rose, wish other superstars were like him. The Heat trio ruined teams and the game. In my opinion this was one of the issues of the Lockout. Don't get me wrong I like the fact the Knicks got STAT and Melo but the way we got them wasn't the best way.

Many people I've talked when Lebron was going to become a free agent, asked why don't you want the Knicks to get him? I answer,he belongs in Cleveland, the team is doing what they can to keep him, and he can't handle the pressure. I also wanted Melo over Lebron, Melo is from NY, played in NY, and belongs on NY.

The Knicks got STAT for a bigger contract they shouldn't have offered him, and Melo was suppose to be signed not traded. The reason the way the Knicks had to do what they did was because of three buddies teaming up. D Rose is the man an will be more of a Legendary player than others who teamed up. If the Knicks don't win the championship in the near future, I would like the Bulls to win it.

Kiyaman

Legend
I have much respect for D Rose, wish other superstars were like him. The Heat trio ruined teams and the game. In my opinion this was one of the issues of the Lockout. Don't get me wrong I like the fact the Knicks got STAT and Melo but the way we got them wasn't the best way.

Many people I've talked when Lebron was going to become a free agent, asked why don't you want the Knicks to get him? I answer,he belongs in Cleveland, the team is doing what they can to keep him, and he can't handle the pressure. I also wanted Melo over Lebron, Melo is from NY, played in NY, and belongs on NY.

The Knicks got STAT for a bigger contract they shouldn't have offered him, and Melo was suppose to be signed not traded. The reason the way the Knicks had to do what they did was because of three buddies teaming up. D Rose is the man an will be more of a Legendary player than others who teamed up. If the Knicks don't win the championship in the near future, I would like the Bulls to win it.

I agree and I disagree.....I respect D.Rose as a young superstar living up to the first pick status. I'll also respect D.Rose after his 8th season in the NBA if he decides to go to the Lakers, Celtics, or Mavs as a FREE-FREE-FREE-AGENT. Bulls president Paxon builds & destroys teams....I still put Paxon success/failure record on his Boss. D.Rose have a deep-playoff roster that is missing a decent scoring-guard, and the resigning of Kurt Thomas.

Every High School and college basketball player workout double hard to play in the NBA (for the money) to become millionares $$$.
After a superstar been in the NBA for 8 seasons, he is no longer playing in the NBA for money $$$....he is strictly playing for a Championship Ring.
NO NBA superstar wants to end their 12+ year career in the NBA like Stocton, Malone, Barkley, Ewing, and the rest of the Dream Team roster that did not get a championship ring.

The Heat TRIO made the NBA future more competitive, the sameway Jordan & Pippin made the NBA future more competitive with the BIGMAN help of Bill Cartwright & Rodman.
The hate on Lebron-Decision were media-silly that speaded like hotcakes on a cold day. The past five years Lebron's annual gross from salary/endorsement had him buying a team at the end of his career. Lebron hooking-up with Pat Riley (NBA Genious) was a wise move for his career. Plus sellout crowds in every stadium he play in the next 6 years.

The savior of the New York Knicks deserve a $100M contract.
Amare actually saved the Knicks from being embarrased, Knicks having a low-cap with the intention of signing 3 max superstars in the 2010 NBA's biggest top-superstar FA market, and not one of the FA superstars showed any interest in signing with the Knicks other than Amare....b/c Phoenix offered to resign Amare to a half-guaranteed contract.
Do u really think Carmelo Anthony wouldve wanted to be a Knicks if Amare did not sign, and show extreme leadership his first 30 games as a Knicks?
I doubt Carmelo's wife would want Melo to be the only star player on the decade losing Knicks.

One man teams never go to the big dance. He has some help but his team is missing a few key pieces to really be considered a contender. If he goes down with an injury the whole team will struggle because their whole game goes thru Rose.