How good are we? What are the expectations?

Blumatic

Rotation player
Ric Bucher was on the radio today and poured cold water all over my Knicks season. And he made alot of sense. I do think he underestimates out role players like Anthony Carter. Bucher feels that Knicks have nothing to improve upon. But teama get good by improving within. I think we are 2 real defensive committed players away. No one felt Miami could fill their roster last year. What you think guys.

metrocard

Legend
I don't like this team because of the system. If we were defense first, offense second, I would have more confidence.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I dont see how they're any better than 5th in the East and that's if they're COMPLETELY healthy and D'antoni croaks in the middle of the season and jared jeffries falls over into the grave with Dantoni at the funeral......

but for real tho? 5th in the East: STAT's health will always be an issue, I don't think Josh Harrelson and Jerome Jordan are the cure to our post D weakness and unless Melo becomes more rounded on offense and competent on defense, where are the Knicks going to make strides?

smokes

Huge Member
Ric Bucher was on the radio today and poured cold water all over my Knicks season. And he made alot of sense. I do think he underestimates out role players like Anthony Carter. Bucher feels that Knicks have nothing to improve upon. But teama get good by improving within. I think we are 2 real defensive committed players away. No one felt Miami could fill their roster last year. What you think guys.

We aren't like Miami in that we don't have 3 superstars and if we do get the 3rd we won't have the pieces/money available to have the same level of role players that Miami has. We also don't have 2 superstars who are very committed on the defensive end of the court. We also don't have a good coach.

You can't really compare the Knicks to Miami right now but depending on our offseason moves then I guess we could do alright this season. If we sign a decent big man, if Fields and Douglas continue to develop and don't disappear in the playoffs, if Amare and Billups both stay healthy for the entire season, if we retain guys like Shawne Williams and AC and add one or two solid minimums... We have a shot to go deep. A lot of ifs and it's a long shot but it's still a shot!:crossfingers:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
We aren't like Miami in that we don't have 3 superstars and if we do get the 3rd we won't have the pieces/money available to have the same level of role players that Miami has. We also don't have 2 superstars who are very committed on the defensive end of the court. We also don't have a good coach.

You can't really compare the Knicks to Miami right now but depending on our offseason moves then I guess we could do alright this season. If we sign a decent big man, if Fields and Douglas continue to develop and don't disappear in the playoffs, if Amare and Billups both stay healthy for the entire season, if we retain guys like Shawne Williams and AC and add one or two solid minimums... We have a shot to go deep. A lot of ifs and it's a long shot but it's still a shot!:crossfingers:

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
We also don't have 2 superstars who are very committed on the defensive end of the court. We also don't have a good coach.

You can't really compare the Knicks to Miami right now
so just stop it...

there, I fixed it for you...

for real tho, I'm a little disturbed at the lack of knowledge among Knicks fans I've spoken to (not so much here YET), in particular in college or at sporting events here in the city. People who just think "well we should just get this guy and that guy". And they have no clue about motivation, about schemes, about scouting or about statistical trends. When the talk of Melo started, I was excited but when the whole "well he wants to get a full deal" talk started, I cooled on him. He's not here to win a title. He's here for attention. LBJ shaved a few millions of his deal, but not Melo. That says alot.

Where's Melo or Amare coming out to a robust NY media saying that Dantoni isnt a good enuff coach? Why isn't anyone stepping up to say CP3 won't solve our post defense weakness?

This FRANCHISE (not the team) needs a lot of work and this fanbase needs a wake up call as to what they're paying for.

smokes

Huge Member
there, I fixed it for you...

for real tho, I'm a little disturbed at the lack of knowledge among Knicks fans I've spoken to (not so much here YET), in particular in college or at sporting events here in the city. People who just think "well we should just get this guy and that guy". And they have no clue about motivation, about schemes, about scouting or about statistical trends. When the talk of Melo started, I was excited but when the whole "well he wants to get a full deal" talk started, I cooled on him. He's not here to win a title. He's here for attention. LBJ shaved a few millions of his deal, but not Melo. That says alot.

Where's Melo or Amare coming out to a robust NY media saying that Dantoni isnt a good enuff coach? Why isn't anyone stepping up to say CP3 won't solve our post defense weakness?

This FRANCHISE (not the team) needs a lot of work and this fanbase needs a wake up call as to what they're paying for.

It's hard to say what might have been in the Melo situation. Possibly Melo and Amare would have been willing to restructure if it meant the prospect of adding a third superstar but AFAIK the new CBA prohibits the type of contract restructuring that allowed Miami to combine their big three.

Funny you should mention it but there were occasions last season where Melo looked to be doing just what you said about MDA. Not overtly but the undertones were there. I can remember some postgame where we just barely scraped a win, MDA's coaching almost gave the game away and Melo grinned at the reporter and told her to "ask coach" about the late game decisions. This is the NBA, players rarely if ever come straight out and bash the coach (I wish they would sometimes).

Just like anywhere there are the knowledgeable fans and the less so, there's plenty of knowledge on these forums but also plenty of blind optimism to wade through.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I didn't say that literally, but at least I did mention that our two young guards are defensive-minded players. I would like to see our young players develop. I have nothing against a possible trade that can take place, but I would certainly prefer to build a solid team on the basis of our talent. I've already posted how do I see us implementing our plan B in other thread, so if you're interested, just search and you'll certainly find it. No, this isn't about hate, I'd love to see Chris Paul playing hoops for Knicks, but I've already seen enough of our "medicore" players raising to solid role players or even leaders on other teams.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
It's hard to say what might have been in the Melo situation. Possibly Melo and Amare would have been willing to restructure if it meant the prospect of adding a third superstar but AFAIK the new CBA prohibits the type of contract restructuring that allowed Miami to combine their big three.

Funny you should mention it but there were occasions last season where Melo looked to be doing just what you said about MDA. Not overtly but the undertones were there. I can remember some postgame where we just barely scraped a win, MDA's coaching almost gave the game away and Melo grinned at the reporter and told her to "ask coach" about the late game decisions. This is the NBA, players rarely if ever come straight out and bash the coach (I wish they would sometimes).

Just like anywhere there are the knowledgeable fans and the less so, there's plenty of knowledge on these forums but also plenty of blind optimism to wade through.

I was under the impression that there was no restructuring. Weren't LBJ and Bosh free agents? I thought those deals were fresh but who knows? Actually, restructuring DOWNWARD has been outlawed for a while now in the NBA (unlike the NFL who never misses an opportunity to ask for money back from an aging vet).

Sorry if I sound angry but sometimes talking about the Knicks bring that out. I'm a huge Yankee/Giant/Buckeye/Cuse fan, so maybe I'm spoiled a bit. But when I here people talk about the Knicks its like "have we been rooting for the same organization?"

If Melo had anything to say about D'antoni, he can have it cuz I'm sick of him....

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I didn't say that literally, but at least I did mention that our two young guards are defensive-minded players. I would like to see our young players develop. I have nothing against a possible trade that can take place, but I would certainly prefer to build a solid team on the basis of our talent. I've already posted how do I see us implementing our plan B in other thread, so if you're interested, just search and you'll certainly find it. No, this isn't about hate, I'd love to see Chris Paul playing hoops for Knicks, but I've already seen enough of our "medicore" players raising to solid role players or even leaders on other teams.

this is all about Dolan......if Dolan wants to blow his wad on some star he'll do it....or he'll sign and trade for 15 million worth of David West or some other oft-injured jerk....

smokes

Huge Member
I was under the impression that there was no restructuring. Weren't LBJ and Bosh free agents? I thought those deals were fresh but who knows? Actually, restructuring DOWNWARD has been outlawed for a while now in the NBA (unlike the NFL who never misses an opportunity to ask for money back from an aging vet).

Sorry if I sound angry but sometimes talking about the Knicks bring that out. I'm a huge Yankee/Giant/Buckeye/Cuse fan, so maybe I'm spoiled a bit. But when I here people talk about the Knicks its like "have we been rooting for the same organization?"

If Melo had anything to say about D'antoni, he can have it cuz I'm sick of him....

LBJ and Bosh were sign and trades, I'm not sure if the deals they got were the ones their previous teams signed them to or whether they were able to restructure in Miami. I heard about restructuring but I really have no idea how it worked out.

Lol don't worry there's plenty of anger vented in these forums go back and look at some game threads from last season or wait until this one kicks off and we blow a game due to MDA's joke rotation policy or failure to take a TO or any of his awful tendencies as a coach.

Plenty of us here have been wanting MDA out for a long time and honestly I'm baffled to see him back here this year.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
We still have practically an entire team to sign so it's difficult to make any predictions. I don't think this team is as good as many fans think. If the plan is to save cap space for next year, then look for the Knicks to be very mediocre this year. I'm predicting 36-30, 4th or 5th seed.

finestrg

Rotation player
As is, we're good for 40 wins in this shortened season, maybe a couple more..We're still a team in flux -- do we trade half the roster for CP3 or not? We still need more, whether it's filling in around a team with CP3 or this current group. We're gettin' there -- not there yet though.

If we could win 40-42 gms and advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs, I'd consider that legit progress. Obviously, if everything clicks and the stars are aligned, maybe we do even better than that.

I expect us to go to the Conference Finals.

I think we're 2 good players away from doing that and we have the possibility to sign those2 players this offseason. We might need Paul to win a championship, but we don't need him to reach the Conference Finals, someone like Dalembert or DeAndre Jordan and a good and proven SG like Shannon Brown or Jason Richardson would be enough.

Dalembert
Stoudemire
Anthony
Shannon Brown
Billups

Douglas
Fields
Turiaf
Shawne Williams
Shumpert
Jeffries
Walker

only Miami are stronger, pretending our front office doesn't F this up and we end up with a few of those busts that have been mentioned like Nachbar or Wells. :barf:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
I expect us to go to the Conference Finals.

I think we're 2 good players away from doing that and we have the possibility to sign those2 players this offseason. We might need Paul to win a championship, but we don't need him to reach the Conference Finals, someone like Dalembert or DeAndre Jordan and a good and proven SG like Shannon Brown or Jason Richardson would be enough.

Dalembert
Stoudemire
Anthony
Shannon Brown
Billups

Douglas
Fields
Turiaf
Shawne Williams
Shumpert
Jeffries
Walker

only Miami are stronger, pretending our front office doesn't F this up and we end up with a few of those busts that have been mentioned like Nachbar or Wells. :barf:

Agreed.
I think a trip to the conference finals is definitely possible. Chicago vs New York? Yum, gimme some of that. It seems that we have the HEAT's number. Last season, the Knicks showed us that they can beat the Heat, even though we had average team defense. If everyone's healthy and Coach Woodson can get these guys to lockdown on D...........:peace:

Kiyaman

Legend
On December 24th would be the best time to give an expectation or
prediction of the Knicks 66 game season. Not now, before December
9th NBA fever of a short crazy transaction period.

My prediction and expectation is very low for this season right now with all
the Knicks media talk focus on CP3, and Knicks Fans top subject in every
Knicks forum is on CP3. And then Melo promoting CP3 over Billups who help
Melo get pass the first round of the playoffs dont look to well either.
Especially with a no-show Amare at the opening of the Knicks training gym,
the same Amare who canceled on 5 different occasion for a mini-camp work-
out this summer/fall.

Will the Knicks only give-out one year contracts on December 9th?
Will the Knicks sign 2 or 3 centers?
Will the Knicks add a center in the rotation consistently this season?
Will Amare/Melo/Billups/Dantoni/Woodson/Herb all work hard at being on the
same-page throughout this 66 game season?

Knowing a few of the answers in the above question would allow a person
to make a prediction, or have expectation of a Knicks 66 game season.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I don't like this team because of the system. If we were defense first, offense second, I would have more confidence.

I think it would be a horrible idea to play away from our strengths and try to play a system that does not take into account our roster. In theory, defense is great, important and you won't hear me argue against it. That said, a team devoid of a real center who can rebound/defend the paint and no real defensive stoppers has no chance of winning if they try to grid out W's with defense. Our only chance with this roster is to be 1-2 in the league in OFFENSE and middle of the road in defense. IMHO.

P.S. Overachieving on the defensive end would be great and def. make us a formidable team but we should not bank on it nor create a system reliant on it.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
BTW, defensive minded HOF coach, Larry Brown as coach of the Knicks was last(or second to last) in points given up. Why? Because our roster was devoid of DEFENDERS. A roster will always dictate the style of play even if a coach has a preferred method and specialty such as MDA.