13 Days And Counting..........Knicks @ Nets December 17 2:00pm - Preseason G1

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Everybody keeps moaning about Toney and Landry, but I checked the box score and... Toney: 6R/5A and Landry: 7R/2A/2S, they played well defensively + added some creativity at distributing, however I agree their offense sucked. Shumpert is a very good shooter, he won't play at #1, because he's isn't a real point guard either, but he fits perfectly into MDA's SSOL system.
This game was weird though, shooting guard leading in rebounds, center leading in steals and a deep bench guy being our best scorer. But if our bench keeps rolling like this, the MTA can play less minutes against teams lower listed teams and be 100% ready to kick some Celtics/Heat/Lakers asses. :)

iSaYughh

Starter
Baron Davis hasnt had a decent consistent spurt in the NBA
since being on the GS Warriors....Davis = Arenas

:alert:please.:alert:,

Just stop lying and acting like you can spew shit and have it fly like a plane...For the sake of continually promoting something you hold dear....In this case,

a man-crush on Toney Douglas.

Before, it was the NYK atrocity of bringing in another veteran PG -- Bibby -- to a MLE contract.....

Davis had a recent, two year stretch with the Clippers where he averaged 8assists and 15points.

And prior to joining the Clips, you conveniently forget that he led Golden State to their first playoff birth in over a decade, all while battling injuries, only to have a monstrous playoff series and orchestrate arguably the greatest NBA playoff upset ever against the Mavericks, who were supposed to be NBA champs that year.

iSaYughh

Starter
Could Balkman be the 3/4 that the knicks are looking for?

Hes always played with alotta heart but his foot speed looked very good today, he did a great job of cutting to open spots for open shots. He kept getting easy baskets and he hit some jumpshots too, i liked what i saw from him. He always got the A for effort but now hes added some other things

He did look like more of a complete NBA player. The effort really was always there....

We did select his ass over Rondo, no? It would be sweet to end up with Balkman playing legit minutes for us against the Boston Cripples in the playoffs, swatting down the 'dicks en route to a playoff series win and putting the final nail in Boston's coffin.

nyk_nyk

All Star
:alert:please.:alert:,

Just stop lying and acting like you can spew shit and have it fly like a plane...For the sake of continually promoting something you hold dear....In this case,

a man-crush on Toney Douglas.

Before, it was the NYK atrocity of bringing in another veteran PG -- Bibby -- to a MLE contract.....

Davis had a recent, two year stretch with the Clippers where he averaged 8assists and 15points.

And prior to joining the Clips, you conveniently forget that he led Golden State to their first playoff birth in over a decade, all while battling injuries, only to have a monstrous playoff series and orchestrate arguably the greatest NBA playoff upset ever against the Mavericks, who were supposed to be NBA champs that year.

And there you have it folks. +1

rady

Administrator
Staff member
It's just the Nets but damn it felt good seeing the Knicks again. Really impressed by Schumpert, Harrellson and Balkman!

Wargames

Starter
I dont want to crap o. Tony because he is in a bad position up to the tyson trade he was a backup pg who was being groomed to be a jason terry lite scoring threat who could play D. Now he is being asked to be a PG for a team with a volume shooter, A P'N'R PF , and a center who lives for alleyoops offensively. For him to be succesful he would honestly have to overachieve.

He did not however overachieve. This led to way to many movable part of the offense finding themselves in ISO situations. Amare would get the ball 18 feet out with sheldon williams right front of him waiting to take the charge....

Also Fields who was running around the court and over screens (which was good) was getting the ball either when the stars were not be over guarded and his defender was on him as well. Its fields fault alone that he didn't make those shots but TD wasn't helping with late passes that forced Fields to play ISO.

SHUMP SHUMP did his thing i very much doubt that last years draft produced 16 better players. Harrelson hitting that 3 was the most exiciting part of that game save for the Melo pass to Balkman. Also Balkman looks like he could take shawne William's minutes as well which is great. The Nets suck and the game was ugly but I feel that is gonna be norm this year due to the lack of summer camp and a proper preseason. As lobg as the knicls pull off the win I'm good.

AlsoTyson had a decent game but it was good to.not see Stat being abused by another teams Center for once.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
@Wargames: probably our front office smartheads are now asking themselves how to bring Raymond back to the city, he runs pick and rolls, feeds alley-oop junkies and could fill all our backcourt needs. I know he isn't available now and probably we won't have enough space to sign him via free agency next summer, but he's certainly that type of point guard we need.

Wargames

Starter
@Wargames: probably our front office smartheads are now asking themselves how to bring Raymond back to the city, he runs pick and rolls, feeds alley-oop junkies and could fill all our backcourt needs. I know he isn't available now and probably we won't have enough space to sign him via free agency next summer, but he's certainly that type of point guard we need.

well that's why I actually think getting Baron signed to the 2.5 deal for 2 years is so important. It gives the knick's room to use the MLE to improve the team instead of fixing it by using that MLE on a decent PG. Also I agree with you Felton was 7 million a year the year after he got owned in the Playoffs. I doubt he would take only 5 Million to join a team that traded him after promising him he would have a year to earn a long term contract with them. I think that MLE would go to a player like sessions who would look at the pay check as fair and has history with the teams coaching staff (assuming D'antoni is still the coach which is very feasible).

Now say they get Baron and use the Full MLE on a complimentary player in 2013 if the Knick's felt Baron did a good job they could go over the cap to pay him to stay for a few more years.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Fields sucks ass folks!

This guy looks like at 15th DNP man out there....roster filler nothing more.

Our backcourt is complete trash apart from Shumpert and maybe Bibby.

We need two new guards before the season starts or we're screwed....

:eek7:

1 preseason game, dude. A game in which Taz Balkman leads all scorers and Brooke Lopez gets more than 5 boards.

Calm.

Shumpert looked amazing. He is FAST, too. He brought passing, team defense, shot creating skills and patience. He was touted as a very confident individual before he got out there, after that, he's coming in to this season friggin' beaming!

I must say, Douglas looked a little lost. I think he's feeling the pressure. Next game he'll be more determined and in the flow.

la2ny

Starter
It was real cool finally seeing the Knicks again. Oh how I longed for some ball(pause).

Was really impressed by the Shumpshots and Shumpers Shump was draining. Dude looks real nice on D too. All in all, It's back fellaz!!! Im ready for Xmas

pat

Starter
Crazy⑧s;190500 said:
:eek7:

1 preseason game, dude. A game in which Taz Balkman leads all scorers and Brooke Lopez gets more than 5 boards.

Calm.

Shumpert looked amazing. He is FAST, too. He brought passing, team defense, shot creating skills and patience. He was touted as a very confident individual before he got out there, after that, he's coming in to this season friggin' beaming!

I must say, Douglas looked a little lost. I think he's feeling the pressure. Next game he'll be more determined and in the flow.

Maybe he looked a bit lost, but all in all we had very few turnovers. I only finished watching the game a few minutes ago and my impression is that he didn't do anything spectacular but all in all he was solid.

Also I cannot say that Fields was that bad. He does what he does: he rebounded well, was solid on defense and he put the ball into the open man's hand. He is going to hit his threes sooner or later. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water on two humble role players who are willing to do whatever it takes to make this whole thing work.
Although I agree with you guys that Shumpert's skill-set looked impressive, I have to say that he shot too much for a rookie in his first pre-season game, especially since some of his shots were ill-advised.
Melo's passing game looked better than I expected. I didn't like the STAT interview. Shooting the ball more from the perimeter is not such a hot idea. I can see his point, but Breen is absolutely right: he will have a hand in his face more often now that he is playing the four.

CoolClyde

Balkmania

this game was a showcase for Balkmania coming off the bench BEFORE Girafferies.
the Tazmanian Devil did it all, everything you want from a 3/4 bench player.
offensive rebounds, scoring in the paint, energizer! (and +8 on the +/-)

the Shumpanzee was one cool cookie, playing NBA ready. 16 points, +14 (+/-).
well-deserving of 6th man role, or even starting 2 if Laundry doesn't show up.

Jorts deserves to be in rotation, his 3 was major, and he didn't seem as lost as the Giraffe,
although neckface had a +13 (+/-) in 17 minutes.

I would've liked to have seen Jerome Jordan get on the court, but whattya expect first p-season game?

I like what Chandler is bringing to the Knicks in the form of communication and team spirit,
the 2-hour training camp special was interesting. however, STAT remains this team's captain,
and it's hard to say anything after 1 week of camp and 1 game, so much gellin' to do.

I like Wood-son's coaching presence moreso than Antoni's non-playmaking persona already.
doesn't seem to be a yes-man like the other greaser-geezers.

very disappointing first game for Toney D, does NOT look PG ready.
The Bib may very well earn starting PG, if he starts hitting some 3's.

oh look, Red Baron the Hernia King is now a Knick. let's see if he actually plays a game this season,
or just another bust.

Just a pre-season game folks, but it was great to see NYK basketball again.
:gony:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I didn't like the STAT interview. Shooting the ball more from the perimeter is not such a hot idea. I can see his point, but Breen is absolutely right: he will have a hand in his face more often now that he is playing the four.

Agreed, and what Clyde said was also true about him not changing his game to be more perimeter oriented but rather augment his game and just use it when needed. Hopefully Dantoni realizes this. If not, i'm sure Woodson will.

The guys Stat goes up against form now on will be better equipped to guard him. No more using his quick first step against slower centers. This is why I beg and plead for this dude to develop a back to the basket game. He likes to look like Melo on the perimeter but we don't need that from him too often.