Knicks could get Tyson Chandler and Chris Paul

smokes

Huge Member
So news just came in that there is a new rule in the CBA that allows contracts to be extended for extra years and restructure the yearly cap impact down by up to 40%.

A big part of the NBA's new CBA will be a "renegotiation and extension" provision.

It will allow players to be paid a smaller amount over a long period, but the salary cannot decrease by more than 40 percent.

A renegotiated salary previously could only increase a salary.

This means that the Knicks can renegotiate Amare and Melo's contracts down to around 12 million next season (best case). We are looking at signing Tyson Chandler to a 4 year $54 million contract. This contract will most likely start in the 11-12 million range increasing to the 13 million range next season.

The current salary cap is 58 million and will probably be in the 60 million range next year. Even with all 3 contracts on a higher level we would have the ability to free up easily enough space to sign Chris Paul.

Now here's where the new CBA helps us even more. A player extending his contract cannot extend for the maximum number of years. Whoever Chris Paul gets traded to it makes no sense for him to extend at all because he would lose a year of money which would equate to $20 million dollars.

This means Chris Paul will almost certainly be a free agent next year.

By some miracle, it appears the Knicks may look like this:

2011:

Douglas
Fields
Melo
Amare
Tyson

2012:

Paul
Fields
Melo
Amare
Tyson

And that is disregarding any MLE or minimum contracts we may speculate about such as Baron Davis or Jason Richardson who are available this year.

This is certainly by no means a done deal but it seems very interesting that today we learned that the Knicks are doing everything they can to go after Tyson Chandler, only a couple of days after Chris Paul stated that any team who wanted to sign him would do well to sign his good friend.

It also makes a lot more sense that the Knicks would do this since I'm sure they knew about this salary re-negotiation before we did.

Discuss!

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I dunno B. I dont think Melo and Amare signed on with any thoughts of renegotiating.....maybe the reason Stat was on the table is because they knew he wouldn't restructure?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Amare and Carmelo have done everything possible to get their big bucks, I don't see them renegotiating their contract down to 40%.

smokes

Huge Member
I dunno B. I dont think Melo and Amare signed on with any thoughts of renegotiating.....maybe the reason Stat was on the table is because they knew he wouldn't restructure?

I don't believe STAT was ever on the table. Has there actually been even an elusive "source" suggesting that? Because I believe it has only been rumours and conjecture.

I'm aware many people are cynical about Melo and Amare and their wanting to WIN in NY as oppose to get rich in NY. But right now it does feel like the stars may be aligning for us... All 3 stars ;)

smokes

Huge Member
Amare and Carmelo have done everything possible to get their big bucks, I don't see them renegotiating their contract down to 40%.

It's not down to 40% its up to 40% reduction of the first year I assume, increasing each year. And remember they are not LOSING any money from doing this, they are getting the same amount of money over a longer period of time.

Yes it would mean they have 1 more year until a new contract but do we think Melo and Amare are that selfish? I don't know.

Personally I believe if CP3 Amare and Melo had all been FA at the same time they would have done the same as the Miami 3. However they were all FA 3 years apart and no one can guarantee what will happen from year to year so it made sense for them to sign maximum deals initially.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Melo forced us to trade half our team, all our assets and draft picks so he could make an extra $1.45 mil a year. I don't know. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to "sacrfice" for the team.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Melo forced us to trade half our team, all our assets and draft picks so he could make an extra $1.45 mil a year. I don't know. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to "sacrfice" for the team.

Would he do it for his BFF? though? If there's any chance it would be so these 3 could be together and they would all but know that a title was in the offing in the future.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer

i couldn't believe those numbers.....wut was it, 5 million total he'd have left on the table had he waited for free agency? dumb dolan smh.....

smokes

Huge Member

Yes but the NBA was in total uncertainty at that point with the impending lockout, and as I said Amare was a FA in 2010, Melo 2011 and Paul 2012 it would be silly to expect Amare and Melo to take crappy deals in the hope they might be able to team up with Paul in 2012.

This is a much more likely situation ALTHOUGH this has only been announced today and there may be many ins and outs to this rule that we do not yet understand.

Wargames

Starter
I was writing about this before and yeah the stars are not losing any money their just agreeing to play together for 1 additional year. Add in the fact that them making 12 their last year would be about right for 32-34 year old players and i can see them doing it. Also last but not least the Knicks would be spending about 50 Million for their 4 starters.... Thats 20 million to fill the roster out on a championship team.

CuseGirl

Benchwarmer
I was writing about this before and yeah the stars are not losing any money their just agreeing to play together for 1 additional year. Add in the fact that them making 12 their last year would be about right for 32-34 year old players and i can see them doing it. Also last but not least the Knicks would be spending about 50 Million for their 4 starters.... Thats 20 million to fill the roster out on a championship team.

and no one thinx Miami, Boston, Chicago, La, and any other team looking to become better is working on this? Especially with Dwight/D-will hanging out there?

Wargames

Starter
and no one thinx Miami, Boston, Chicago, La, and any other team looking to become better is working on this? Especially with Dwight/D-will hanging out there?

Oh no they are but the key is that Max players have to have a reason to do this for the benefit of the team. The Knicks may do it since the four players would be friends who want to win titles. Right now Miami will probably forgo this option since their contracts are already set up to share and they believe (rightfully I must admit) that they can win it the way their set up now. In the future yes I believe they will do it as well. Boston issue isn't money but age, Chicago is a team of Roleplayers who save for boozer are paid fair value. Boozer may do it when the time comes to sign Rose to his max deal. Lastly LA is gonna have a lot of issues getting the good will of their players to agree with do this considering that they just tried to trade everyone but Kobe.

Anyhow I actually think that extending contracts will become a trend as time goes on.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star

Eh. I think if he knew the new CBA would be done by this time and with these terms, he would've been OK with signing as a free agent.

The talk of a "franchise tag" and a lost season was what probably spurred Melo to "force" us to make that trade.

CA7

Scoring Champ
If Dolan and Grunwald bring STAT, Melo and TC in and say we can this, this and this and that will enable us to add Chris Paul and you guys will win multiple titles together and go down as probably the best Knick team ever along with the endorsements I mean I can see it already the Fantastic 4, the 4 Hourseman, 4 of a Kind I mean all types of marketing shit then add to that they can still MLE J-Rich as the knock down shooter, still have Shumpert and Jordan along with Shawne Williams and possibly Fields...OH MY GOD I wish Walsh was still in charge

CA7

Scoring Champ
He's being a punk, and with Chandler and possibly Davis, why do we need him? I see championships in our future without him...

Understandable but the opportunity of Paul-Anybody-Anthony-Stouedmire-Chandler is too good to pass up if we can make it work

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Understandable but the opportunity of Paul-Anybody-Anthony-Stouedmire-Chandler is too good to pass up if we can make it work
Of course you'd do it if you're the GM, that's a no-brainer, but I rather our starting line-up to be like the 1999 New York Knicks, except this time, the guy(s) carrying us won't be injured and almost retired. I'd be more excited about that, going to war against the other superstars, beating them, and holding the gold.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Of course you'd do it if you're the GM, that's a no-brainer, but I rather our starting line-up to be like the 1999 New York Knicks, except this time, the guy(s) carrying us won't be injured and almost retired. I'd be more excited about that, going to war against the other superstars, beating them, and holding the gold.

I feel you now