Reggie Williams?

finestrg

Rotation player
Man, I'd love to get both bro..Any idea how?

I think Shawne's waiting on us right now which tells me 1 of 2 things: (1) he may not really have the offers out there that he and his agent want us to believe he has (I've heard there's interest---Chicago from a few weeks ago, Indiana possibly, now the Warriors all of a sudden---but haven't heard of any concrete offers made which is kind of telling -- you usually hear specific numbers being talking about) and (2), I think he may be waiting to see if Crawford takes our 'room' offer or not. If Craw rejects it, the Knicks may have promised it to him. If Craw does take that offer however, would Shawne take the vet min for a year? Maybe. Maybe that's why he's still hanging around NYC, working out on his own -- hopeful of a $2-yr/$5M deal but willing to accept less on a brief 1-yr deal if the Knicks land Crawford. Hard situation to read right now with Shawne..

If he does indeed have offers from other teams, I wouldn't want to piss him off by offering the room exception to a guy like Reggie Williams after Crawford turns us down...He may take that as an insult and bolt. He might understand where the Knicks are going with Crawford but may take the same contract offer to a less-established player like Reggie Williams over him as an insult (in actuality though, is Shawne really all that more established than Reggie anyway? Not really when you think about it..You get the feeling that the Knicks are finally an attractive team for players -- playing for the Knicks sells itself now). That's if we wanted BOTH -- if push came to shove and I was forced to zero in on one guy only, like I've been saying, it'd be Reggie. To me, Reggie Williams covers just about everything we could be looking for right now in ONE package: affordability (unlike other players he should be satisfied with a 'room exception' offer which is a fairly substantial raise for him over last year---Shawne's probably ready to jump on that and he made more than Reggie last yr); 40% 3-pt shooter with a track record going back to the DL before Golden State (has Craw ever come close to shooting 40% from deep? I could be wrong but I don't think so---Craw's always been a volume shooter; this guy's more of a marksman); adept scorer/additional firepower off the bench or to start if MDA so inclines (why couldn't this guy ever win a 6th MOY award playing here? I think he could -- coming off the bench playing for Mike D'Antoni? Absolutely he could); enough size at 6'6" to play the 2 AND 3 (legit backup for Melo that we currently lack); has shown that he's capable of handling a much heavier scoring workload if he had to (God forbid Melo went down for a stretch -- who has a better chance of picking up his scoring, Shawne or Reggie? Easy answer.)... Also, I understand that unlike Shawne, he wouldn't be able to slide down and guard the post but I think we've beefed up the frontline significantly to the point where we wouldn't really require Shawne to do that anymore..The fact that he can do it is still a plus but it no longer feels like a necessity.

Now if I were the Knicks and I truly wanted Reggie AND Shawne, I might aggressively offer Reggie the room exception (plus a rotation spot on a much improved/possible championship caliber team playing for Mike D'Antoni--an offensive player's dream) and then turn to Shawne and say, look, take the vet min for 1 more yr (only 66 gms plus the playoffs -- so it's already a reduced schedule anyway -- if there's a yr for a guy to take less on a 1-yr deal, this is it) and we promise to give you the bulk of (if not the entire) MLE next yr. That actually may placate him. Something like that maybe.

Or, if there's any truth to the new CBA rumor that current players on NBA rosters can re-structure their deals to give management more cap leeway to offer another player, I say let Amar'e and Melo re-work their contracts just enough to allow Knicks brass to up their offer to Shawne to keep him in Orange and Blue. Could we do that possibly?? We're not talking a lot of money for STAT or Melo to divert here (I think STAT and Shawne became pretty tight btw -- weren't they working out together in FLA during the lockout? I could see Amar'e being open to the idea and convincing Melo. Plus, it'd be great for team chemistry for them to do something that for Shawne) -- only a negligible amount ($500-750k from both guys?) which could allow us to make more of a fair offer to Shawne and keep him happy, esp. if we wanna offer the room exception to someone else. Just a thought..

Last edited:

carlhil2

Benchwarmer
Knicks, Blazers, Bobcats, Pistons Emerge As Finalists For Reggie Williams
Dec 14, 2011 12:39 PM EST

The Knicks, Blazers, Bobcats and Pistons are the four finalists for wing Reggie Williams, according to sources.

Williams was a restricted free agent of the Warriors, but they rescinded their qualifying offer to sign DeAndre Jordan to an offer sheet.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter)
Reggie Williams, New York Knicks, Portland Trail Blazers, Detroit Pistons, Charlotte Bobcats, NBA, NBA Signing Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...s_Finalists_For_Reggie_Williams#ixzz1gX73KBsQ

moneyg

Starter
Knicks, Blazers, Bobcats, Pistons Emerge As Finalists For Reggie Williams
Dec 14, 2011 12:39 PM EST

The Knicks, Blazers, Bobcats and Pistons are the four finalists for wing Reggie Williams, according to sources.

Williams was a restricted free agent of the Warriors, but they rescinded their qualifying offer to sign DeAndre Jordan to an offer sheet.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter)
Reggie Williams, New York Knicks, Portland Trail Blazers, Detroit Pistons, Charlotte Bobcats, NBA, NBA Signing Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...s_Finalists_For_Reggie_Williams#ixzz1gX73KBsQ

i like this GM. if he pull this off.. remove the intrim tag

Wargames

Starter
Man, I'd love to get both bro..Any idea how?

I think Shawne's waiting on us right now which tells me 1 of 2 things: (1) he may not really have the offers out there that he and his agent want us to believe he has (I've heard there's interest---Chicago from a few weeks ago, Indiana possibly, now the Warriors all of a sudden---but haven't heard of any concrete offers made which is kind of telling -- you usually hear specific numbers being talking about) and (2), I think he may be waiting to see if Crawford takes our 'room' offer or not. If Craw rejects it, the Knicks may have promised it to him. If Craw does take that offer however, would Shawne take the vet min for a year? Maybe. Maybe that's why he's still hanging around NYC, working out on his own -- hopeful of a $2-yr/$5M deal but willing to accept less on a brief 1-yr deal if the Knicks land Crawford. Hard situation to read right now with Shawne..

If he does indeed have offers from other teams, I wouldn't want to piss him off by offering the room exception to a guy like Reggie Williams after Crawford turns us down...He may take that as an insult and bolt. He might understand where the Knicks are going with Crawford but may take the same contract offer to a less-established player like Reggie Williams over him as an insult (in actuality though, is Shawne really all that more established than Reggie anyway? Not really when you think about it..You get the feeling that the Knicks are finally an attractive team for players -- playing for the Knicks sells itself now). That's if we wanted BOTH -- if push came to shove and I was forced to zero in on one guy only, like I've been saying, it'd be Reggie. To me, Reggie Williams covers just about everything we could be looking for right now in ONE package: affordability (unlike other players he should be satisfied with a 'room exception' offer which is a fairly substantial raise for him over last year---Shawne's probably ready to jump on that and he made more than Reggie last yr); 40% 3-pt shooter with a track record going back to the DL before Golden State (has Craw ever come close to shooting 40% from deep? I could be wrong but I don't think so---Craw's always been a volume shooter; this guy's more of a marksman); adept scorer/additional firepower off the bench or to start if MDA so inclines (why couldn't this guy ever win a 6th MOY award playing here? I think he could -- coming off the bench playing for Mike D'Antoni? Absolutely he could); enough size at 6'6" to play the 2 AND 3 (legit backup for Melo that we currently lack); has shown that he's capable of handling a much heavier scoring workload if he had to (God forbid Melo went down for a stretch -- who has a better chance of picking up his scoring, Shawne or Reggie? Easy answer.)... Also, I understand that unlike Shawne, he wouldn't be able to slide down and guard the post but I think we've beefed up the frontline significantly to the point where we wouldn't really require Shawne to do that anymore..The fact that he can do it is still a plus but it no longer feels like a necessity.

Now if I were the Knicks and I truly wanted Reggie AND Shawne, I might aggressively offer Reggie the room exception (plus a rotation spot on a much improved/possible championship caliber team playing for Mike D'Antoni--an offensive player's dream) and then turn to Shawne and say, look, take the vet min for 1 more yr (only 66 gms plus the playoffs -- so it's already a reduced schedule anyway -- if there's a yr for a guy to take less on a 1-yr deal, this is it) and we promise to give you the bulk of (if not the entire) MLE next yr. That actually may placate him. Something like that maybe.

Or, if there's any truth to the new CBA rumor that current players on NBA rosters can re-structure their deals to give management more cap leeway to offer another player, I say let Amar'e and Melo re-work their contracts just enough to allow Knicks brass to up their offer to Shawne to keep him in Orange and Blue. Could we do that possibly?? We're not talking a lot of money for STAT or Melo to divert here (I think STAT and Shawne became pretty tight btw -- weren't they working out together in FLA during the lockout? I could see Amar'e being open to the idea and convincing Melo. Plus, it'd be great for team chemistry for them to do something that for Shawne) -- only a negligible amount ($500-750k from both guys?) which could allow us to make more of a fair offer to Shawne and keep him happy, esp. if we wanna offer the room exception to someone else. Just a thought..

I like Shawne but until he proves otherwise dude is a 2.5 million for 3 years player. The knicks will probably use the MLE on a pg next year unless Toney shows he can run the point effectively.

Reggue Williams sounds interesting though. He's young, not to expensive, and can put up numbers. I wouldn't use him as a starter but as a key part of the second unit that lacks scoring ability. He would also be good in situations against teams that have lockdown defensive wings (Miami) because he could negate the dropoff of a defensive scheme aimed at slowing Carmelo's game. Also if fields does not bounce back (though I think he will) reggie could be a starter.

Thats my only reservation about jamal crawford I don't know if he could function as a 3rd option in the starting unit and not chuck up shots based on reflex.

carlhil2

Benchwarmer
I'll say..Nice to see the Knicks' name added to the list. He makes too much sense for us not to be involved. I hope we get him. Thanks Carl!

since i build computers for a living, i am in front of one all day, and i am so excited about the upcoming season, i am everywhere trying to get info, god it feels good, living in Boston as a Knicks fan can be tough, been waiting for this since the JVG days, the Celtics are going to be caught sleeping, the Sports Talk radio stations here stay killing the Knicks, meanwhile forgetting that both Ainge and Rivers were about to be ran out of town, til Ainge and Mckale made that "i am about to be out the door, want my best player for a bag of balls:afro:" trade!

finestrg

Rotation player

Let's examine that list for a sec. I gotta believe we have a leg up on all 3 teams. I say the Blazers get Crawford -- they're offering double what we are and Craw's from the area (Seattle). The Bobcats are an absolute joke of a franchise with a hypocrite douche-bag owner that forgot where he came from and didn't wanna see the players get paid and the Pistons, another franchise not ready to win anything, have their hands tied right now trying to keep Rodney Stuckey (per hoopshype, he just turned down a 5-yr deal worth between $40-45M to stay). Unless these 3 teams offer a lot more than us, I think we could really get this guy man. I'm glad we got involved. We should've went HARD the other day when he first became available but better late than never I guess. Fingers crossed here guys. Man, this guy's offensive skills in a D'Antoni offense? Shit, sign me up son!

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
since i build computers for a living, i am in front of one all day, and i am so excited about the upcoming season, i am everywhere trying to get info, god it feels good, living in Boston as a Knicks fan can be tough, been waiting for this since the JVG days, the Celtics are going to be caught sleeping, the Sports Talk radio stations here stay killing the Knicks, meanwhile forgetting that both Ainge and Rivers were about to be ran out of town, til Ainge and Mckale made that "i am about to be out the door, want my best player for a bag of balls:afro:" trade!
LOL...Give 'em hell up there for us brother! Thank you & keep it coming man. You hear anything let us know.

finestrg

Rotation player
If I were Grunwald, I might offer this guy the starting 2G spot as well as the full 'room exception.' That's about all we can do. Maybe that puts us over the edge. All due respect to Landry Fields, who I like a lot and normally would've wanted to see continue in the starting role -- but this is different. I want this player. After all it doesn't matter who starts, it's who's playing well and who finishes the games in the 4th quarter that really matters. We might have to get creative here and offer a starting role. The Bobcats can't possibly be a serious destination in Reggie's mind, no matter what they're offering. F Michael Jordan -- who'd wanna play for him after the shit he pulled? Plus, that team sucks shit..

I think Portland and Detroit will be able to offer more money than us, esp. if they lose out on Crawford and Stuckey respectively. We might have to get creative -- I say offer a starting role at SG. Maybe that entices him..

Wargames

Starter
Ok we're out the crawful runnings so hopefully the knicks sign this guy and shawne.

Knicks bench

Shumpert
Harrelson
R. Williams
S. Williams
Bibby
Jefferies
Skywalker
Jordan
Green
Balkman
Hunter

I think that bench csn score about 20 - 30 .and can defend. Maybw thw fronr office can sign and trade the warriore balkmqn for reggies rights.

finestrg

Rotation player
Bullshit the Bobcats got him, like WTF stuck on Crawford and we let a gem get by us, those are the things I hate we should have been jumped on him

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217530/Reggie_Williams_Signs_Two_Year_Deal_With_Bobcats

Wow..I mean, lmao --- WOW...I can't believe it...Not only on Grunwald's part, but on Reggie's too...What the flyin' F is he thinking? What player in his right mind wants to go play for Michael Jordan after the role this idiot had during the CBA negotiations??? This a-hole didn't give two shits about the players during the entire process -- he didn't want them to get anything...PLUS that team is going NOWHERE!!! One of the worst franchises in the entire league..Actually I think that pathetic team should just fold -- they unnecessarily water the whole league down...Unless the Knicks were just lukewarm on Reggie all along and approached him as such -- then maybe I could see it from Reggie's POV. If the Knicks didn't come strong, then I guess I can't blame him. My thing -- why not go strong as in full room exception if you're NY? It was OBVIOUS Crawford wasn't coming here when he had at least 2-3 other offers on the table for DOUBLE!!!! So why fixate on him then?!?!? Go get the younger guy who's actually bigger, better and would've cost half the amount!!! Idiots...Good job overall this offseason getting Chandler and all but this one's a pretty big misfire on their part...Dude would've been perfect here. He would've killed 3 birds with one stone --> (1) extra bonafide scorer/legit firepower off the pine/would really strengthened the 2nd unit, (2) big enough to play SF and back up Melo at 6'6", (3) possesses 40% 3-pt shooting accuracy, a necessity in D'Antoni's system....It's not even like he went for $$ out of our reach a-la Crawford --- Charlotte offered him the room exception and he accepted. We had that to offer as well..I mean WTF, did we?? Lemme find out we didn't offer him that and tried to lowball him!!! WOW.

So WTF now?? Gotta go get Shawne Williams RIGHT NOW, if we even still can. Let's hope we don't F that up..I tell ya if Shawne decides to comes back, I gotta give him a ton of credit for waiting. Then what? Mo Evans? Is Baron gonna getting waived, amnestied or what? How bad is that back of his anyway?? Legit injury or smokescreen? Do we even take a chance on a guy with a bad back?? I try not to even think about Davis man --- Gilbert's playing games big-time and if he is amnestied, some team's gonna claim him well before we get a crack at him...Man am I chapped about this Reggie Williams thing boy..

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
I'm pissed we would have been set for the long run grabbing both Williams boys but NO we wanted Crawford so damn bad, not that we had a bad off-season cus our only real addition was Chandler but damn if we could have gotten Chandler, Williams, Williams and Bibby I would have been ecstatic but now we got Bill Walker and Renaldo Balkman as our back up 2 and 3

finestrg

Rotation player
Big-time similarities to Michael Redd/James Harden/Manu Ginobli here with this guy in my book. Harden was the 3rd pick in the draft a few years ago for Oklahoma City. Honestly, now that we've seen Harden as a pro for a couple of yrs --- is he that much better a player or capable of that much more than Reggie Williams? I don't think so. I don't see that much seperation in talent between the two. This is definitely gonna sting for a day or two bro.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Big-time similarities to Michael Redd/James Harden/Manu Ginobli here with this guy in my book. Harden was the 3rd pick in the draft a few years ago for Oklahoma City. Honestly, now that we've seen Harden as a pro for a couple of yrs --- is he that much better a player or capable of that much more than Reggie Williams? I don't think so. I don't see that much seperation in talent between the two. This is definitely gonna sting for a day or two bro.

More like forever, its moves like these that can take a team from very good to great to elite.........not everyday can you get a guy who fits perfect in your system at a discount price and lose him to the worst team in the conference, why are we stuck on name value IDK but if I had the choice of Reggie or Jamal(haha How High reference) I'm picking Reggie anyday especially with the team we have now.

finestrg

Rotation player
More like forever, its moves like these that can take a team from very good to great to elite.........not everyday can you get a guy who fits perfect in your system at a discount price and lose him to the worst team in the conference, why are we stuck on name value IDK but if I had the choice of Reggie or Jamal(haha How High reference) I'm picking Reggie anyday especially with the team we have now.

Absolutely..Ahh, what are we gonna do. Time to move on I guess. Charlotte Bobcats -- I still can't f'in believe it..LOL.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
If Reggie Williams would rather go play in CHARLOTTE than here then he can go **** himself. We don't need him, if he wants to be fighting for the #8 seed, then whatever.