So is going after Crawford and Davis mean that we don't realize what we have in Shump

New New York

Quiet Storm
This insistence on going after these backcourt players (non of which can defend) seems to point to us not expecting Shump to be in the rotation

as it is we have TD,Feilds,Bibby and Shump

so why all this attention on players like Davis and Crawford? non of them represent an immediate impact for us

our main focus should be trying to grab either a backup for Melo (ie. Shawne Williams) or Stat , not saying our backcourt is ideal, its just simply jammed at this point! and again we are not going after players who upgrade our situation in the backcourt.

I like what Glen has done so far, kinda confused about the focus on Crawford and Baron tho.

Without any game experience and just going off workout and college highlights I would take him over both Crawford and Baron Davis and I suspect he will be starting over Feilds by the end of the season

CA7

Scoring Champ
This insistence on going after these backcourt players (non of which can defend) seems to point to us not expecting Shump to be in the rotation

so why all this attention on players like Davis and Crawford? non of them represent an immediate impact for us

our main focus should be trying to grab either a backup for Melo (ie. Shawne Williams) or Stat , not saying our backcourt is ideal, its just simply jammed at this point! and again we are not going after players who upgrade our situation in the backcourt.

I like what Glen has done so far, kinda confused about the focus on Crawford and Baron tho.

Without any game experience and just going off workout and college highlights I would take him over both Crawford and Baron Davis and I suspect he will be starting over Feilds by the end of the season

I think its a matter of the shortened season, 1 he's a rookie, 2 there's not a lot of time for him to develop in practice so he's going to learn things on the fly and 3 I think they're unsure of where they seem him at, I would love to see him at the point with a scoring/defending 2 Guard like Reggie Williams as the back court of the future for us and letting Fields and Douglas come off the bench, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Forrest17

Rotation player
We can't know what we have in Shump until we see him play actual NBA games

This shortened season is going to be crazy, we are going to need more depth or every player is going to be exhausted by the time the playoffs roll around

Red

TYPE-A
I think everyone is enamored with the unknown.

When we needed bigs for rebounding and defense we assumed whoever wasa big on our roster could get starter minutes and they were the answer.

Now that we need a PG we assume we have one in Shump. I think that's normal wishful thinking. But...

Now that time has run out on future plans etc... we are in must win now mode. I can see MOA not wanting to experiment with this squad in his last year.

He wants something definite instead of assuming a new guard can come in and pick up the system quick.

That's why he tapped TD to be the starter over Bibby and why Shump would really have to be ahead of the curve and impress to crack the rotation.

B-diddy presents a viable passing option (avg 6+ assists) and should be hungry. Its not a knock on Shump. We need depth for all those back-to-backs, and 3 in 4 days games.

Shump fills a needed roll in MOA's system because he provides the ability to guard multiple positions and we all know MOA plays players out of natural position and values defensive guys who guard multiple positions...

Yet he will always defer to offensive skill sets first.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Shump will show everything he has, its just about making the team better. Cant put the Dice on a rookie when you can have known goods.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
I think its a matter of the shortened season, 1 he's a rookie, 2 there's not a lot of time for him to develop in practice so he's going to learn things on the fly and 3 I think they're unsure of where they seem him at, I would love to see him at the point with a scoring/defending 2 Guard like Reggie Williams as the back court of the future for us and letting Fields and Douglas come off the bench, but that seems unlikely at this point.

It doesn't hurt to have depth on any roster, anyone can step up for a spot. Shumpert has great work ethics and will develop, but I agree with CA7 not enough time this season. Mike Bibby contract is a one year contract and Davis if signed will most likely be a short contract as well. Both Davis and Bibby can teach TD and Iman a thing or two. Crawford is only wanted for his three point shooting.

I don't think the Knicks are going to sign neither Davis or Crawford. Crawford already turned down a contract and the sign and trade looks doubtful. Baron Davis is having severe back problems which might make the Knicks hesitant to sign, and plus he has to be waived.

Shawne Williams was offered a contract and now weighing his options from the Knicks, Nets, Lakers, Mavs, and Heat. Other teams offered more money, but we will find out tomorrow. The Knicks are also looking to sign Jerome Jordan.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Shump will show everything he has, its just about making the team better. Cant put the Dice on a rookie when you can have known goods.

exactly.. Plus if he plays Point guard, that leaves us pretty thin at shooting guard, but if he plays shooting guard, that leaves us thin at point.. We need at least one more player at either of these positions just to give us better depth

New New York

Quiet Storm

When we needed bigs for rebounding and defense we assumed whoever wasa big on our roster could get starter minutes and they were the answer.

Now that we need a PG we assume we have one in Shump. I think that's normal wishful thinking. But...

Now that time has run out on future plans etc... we are in must win now mode. I can see MOA not wanting to experiment with this squad in his last year.

He wants something definite instead of assuming a new guard can come in and pick up the system quick.

That's why he tapped TD to be the starter over Bibby and why Shump would really have to be ahead of the curve and impress to crack the rotation.

B-diddy presents a viable passing option (avg 6+ assists) and should be hungry. Its not a knock on Shump. We need depth for all those back-to-backs, and 3 in 4 days games.

Shump fills a needed roll in MOA's system because he provides the ability to guard multiple positions and we all know MOA plays players out of natural position and values defensive guys who guard multiple positions...

I don't see Shump at all as a PG!! I see him as a SG soley.

I actually mentioned Feilds as well in the potential backcourt logjam and he is clearly not a PG nor do I think Crawford is a PG

What I am saying is that we are going after backcourt players when we cleary have a few options there (and I did not mention Bill Walker) so that begs the question do we not realize we have a real player in this kid.

In terms of him being an "unknown", that could be said for any of the rookies in terms of not being able accuratley gauge how they are going to be as a pro, true there is not much to go on with Shumpert besides his Lockout League experience (which was one of the best of all rookies there) but we are coming off a year when we had a strong rookie outing from Feilds (who Miike Dantoni dismissed immdediatley but his brother who coached him in Summer League convinced him he had a player) so why would you not put more stock in the player you drafted?

Look more times then not I would dismiss this as a couch who does not want to put too much pressure on a rookie, but....Mike D has a track record of not recognizing young talent if their offense is not off the charts spectacular at first glance, in particular their jump shot.

Passed on Rondo due to a lack of a jump shot and like I said had to be sold on Feilds, so I just wonder has he already began to look past Shump?

iSaYughh

Starter

Yep. All this.

NNY, Shump is a rookie! Either we are or aren't a playoff bound team that wants to be a contender.

If you think you're a contender, you don't roll into the season resting hopes on completely unknown entities....Simple as that.

Adding Crawford, and Baron, give us known quantities, and true depth.

No offense, but some of the names you've trotted out (Billy Walker) are just trash....if you consider yourself a legit playoff team and contender.

And I like Walker. I like Shump.

But you're thread title even says "we don't realize what we have in Shump"....

Broheem.....*YOU* don't know what you have in Shump, in any meaningful way.

Right now we have some young combo guards, a guard/sf in Fields, and Bibby. Shump isn't defined as either a PG or a SG at this point in his career.

We're looking to add, on the cheap, a veteran SG and PG.

We don't have a lot of depth at *any* of our guard spots -- don't confuse volume with reliability and true depth.

Getting Crawford and Baron would be hugely positive moves; and if anything protect the value of a Shumpert, where he can develop his skills at his pace, and play a valuable positive role on the team maximizing what he can vs getting thrown to the wolves and failing.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
its not that were not confident in him, its that were trying to make our team deeper. lets face it having crawford come off the bench as the 6th man makes us a much more lethal team. and that allows shumpert to take his time with his offense and mainly help out on D, when he's ready he'll beast. maybe even from the get-go. Deep teams win championships and crawford adds depth thats why i want him so bad

Red

TYPE-A
I don't see Shump at all as a PG!! I see him as a SG soley.

I actually mentioned Feilds as well in the potential backcourt logjam and he is clearly not a PG nor do I think Crawford is a PG

Shump was a PG at GT, his athleticism off the charts, defense up to par, the only question was could he develop his outside shot- and supposedly he did.

Consider the MOA offense takes time to master; consider MOA is a lame duck coach, and the other current PG options and he's number three behind TD and Bibby. That's his natural position, not where you feel or MOA may decide to play him.

MOA is quoted as saying he expects much from Fields, who supposedly worked on his jumper. Fields will start at the 2.

If Shump performs better than either TD, Bibby, or Fields, make no mistake, not only will that be a feat, but MOA will start him or get him minutes off the bench.

What I am saying is that we are going after backcourt players when we cleary have a few options there (and I did not mention Bill Walker) so that begs the question do we not realize we have a real player in this kid.

In terms of him being an "unknown", that could be said for any of the rookies in terms of not being able accuratley gauge how they are going to be as a pro, true there is not much to go on with Shumpert besides his Lockout League experience (which was one of the best of all rookies there) but we are coming off a year when we had a strong rookie outing from Feilds (who Miike Dantoni dismissed immdediatley but his brother who coached him in Summer League convinced him he had a player) so why would you not put more stock in the player you drafted?

Crawford technically, with all his faults, if signed, would be the best 6th man option we have.

And B-Diddy would be the best PG option we have also (if healthy). Those wouldn't just be depth signings, but upgrades.

Again IF Shump can prove he can do better, more power to him. That would be a hell of a draft pick.

Look more times then not I would dismiss this as a couch who does not want to put too much pressure on a rookie, but....Mike D has a track record of not recognizing young talent if their offense is not off the charts spectacular at first glance, in particular their jump shot.

Passed on Rondo due to a lack of a jump shot and like I said had to be sold on Feilds, so I just wonder has he already began to look past Shump?

Let's hope Shump is off the charts spectacular his first chance.:beer:

Look at Shump as probably (currently) a poor-mans Wilson Chandler in our system; who hopefully has handle and decision making to grasp the system and run the point. If he can do that better than anyone mentioned

WE WILL WIN THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIP.:smokin:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

Which is why we need need to see him play in the NBA first.

Red

TYPE-A

Which is why we need need to see him play in the NBA first.

I'd say...

that's what makes you a fan and MOA the coach.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star

We don't know what to expect from Shumpert as far as pure point guard skills. We now he has athelticism and can dunk the ball and has been improving his shot. BUT

Does Shumpert have the handling and court vision to be a starting PG?

This is why we are pursuing Baron Davis and offered Barea a contract which he rejected.

I believe Shumpert has better court vision than TD, because frankly TD has no court vision.

We can go with a one year option at the point, a veteran presence to replace Chauncey's role. Let Shumpert come into his own and we'll see if he is better at the 1 or 2. Hopefully Shumpert can show to be a good PG so we can bench Douglas and play Fields, if Fields is improving.

Give us a big lineup

Shumpert-6'6
Fields-6'7
Melo-6'9
Amare-6'11(grew an inch according to Amare)
Tyson-7'1

We can't know what we have in Shump until we see him play actual NBA games

This shortened season is going to be crazy, we are going to need more depth or every player is going to be exhausted by the time the playoffs roll around

Exactly. Stat already came out and said he will miss a few games because he wants to have fresh legs for a playoff run. I m sure Melo will do the same with his knee issues.

no Idea what shump is going to be.. right now I would think he is not a better option then anyone else on the roster. What i know of huim from college and scouting reports pre draft is that hes more of a defensive gaurd with a high motor. not a true pg or sg or scorer and that will prob hold tru in the nba and could possible by a lockdown put him on their best back court guy in rotation spots to hold leads or stop bleeding.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks do not need an individual-scorer like Davis or Crawford in the
backcourt. I would cut both players on their lack of defensive effort and
their poor two-hand passin skills that leads to turn-overs.

Rookie Shump is a great PG on the defensive-end of the court, Shump
needs alot of work and playintime before he could be a full-time NBA PG.
Maybe next season this 66 game season is Shump developement as a combo.
PG-TD & SG-Fields need a better offensive strategic coach to work design
plays for Melo/Amare in a halfcourt settin and transition fast breaks.
The Knicks backcourt rotation of TD/Fields/Shump maybe young and inexperience
on the offensive end but their defensive-effort will make up for their offense.

The Knicks big picture is "Tyson Chandler" receiving 30 minutes of playintime to take
pressure off of Amare in rebounding and defending the paint.
Tyson Chandler will be a big-big challenge for headcoach Mike Dantoni.
:2cents: Knicks fans do not want to hear any excuses (injuries or whatever) on why
Tyson Chandler cant receive 30 minutes of playintime under coach Dantoni.
:boohoo:
The Knicks could use several different halfcourt-settin plays of Tyson Chandler
screenin for Melo to slash or catch-shoot on peremeter as time-out design
plays that works 9 out 10 times.

Kiyaman

Legend
Walsh & Isiah were equal and Dantoni & Brown Tanking were equal

Once STAT, Melo, And Tyson Sit Whos Gonna Score? Iman Shumpert?

Nah

Landry Fileds?

Nah

Thats Why We're Looking For More Scoring Guards

Your arguement is old....meaning that was lastseason big arguement when
GS offered SG-Monta Ellis $11M contract for a sign n trade David Lee.
Incompetent Donnie Walsh refuse that deal.
The Knicks having Amare/Gallo/Chandler/Ellis/Felton, with a pair of defensive
depth guards off the bench in TD/Fields and defensive backup centers
Moz/Jordan was the new Knicks team to build a contender around.

We got a total of $11.5M of nothing contracts in return for an All-Star fan
favorite David Lee in a sign n trade....incompetence which almost lead to the
return of Isiah Thomas if the NCAA & NBA didnt interfere.

Your arguement is old....meaning that was lastseason big arguement when
GS offered SG-Monta Ellis $11M contract for a sign n trade David Lee.
Incompetent Donnie Walsh refuse that deal.
The Knicks having Amare/Gallo/Chandler/Ellis/Felton, with a pair of defensive
depth guards off the bench in TD/Fields and defensive backup centers
Moz/Jordan was the new Knicks team to build a contender around.

We got a total of $11.5M of nothing contracts in return for an All-Star fan
favorite David Lee in a sign n trade....incompetence which almost lead to the
return of Isiah Thomas if the NCAA & NBA didnt interfere.

Everything Happens For A Reason, You Take Monta That Trade For Melo Might Never Happen

And Next Time You Mock Me Remember To Capitalize Every 1st Letter, Don't Half Ass It You Lazy Maggot