Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

metrocard

Legend
Nice link LeFume!

aef6bd0c5fde11e299e022000a1fb043_7.jpg

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
So how would you guys rate Shump within the current 10 SG of today?

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Dwayne Wade
3. James Harden
4. Manu Ginobili
5. Joe Johnson
6. Montana Ellis
7. Shump?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It's a bit early to start ranking Shump as a top 10 SG in the league, bro. He's a great defender and has a lot of potential, but that's a long way from being a top-10 full-time starter.

We need to see more of him. If he develops a serviceable jump shot and improves his shot selection, he'll be in the top 10 easily just because of his defense.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
It's a bit early to start ranking Shump as a top 10 SG in the league, bro. He's a great defender and has a lot of potential, but that's a long way from being a top-10 full-time starter.

We need to see more of him. If he develops a serviceable jump shot and improves his shot selection, he'll be in the top 10 easily just because of his defense.

Well a lot of people on here seem to rate him really high..where as other basketball forums, people dont even mention him in the top 10. He needs a good jumpshot and more experience to finish at the rim I agree

metrocard

Legend
I did my own ratings in NBAK13 because I feel like the regular ratings are never accurated.

Shumpert was rated an 80.

I believe he has 20/4/4 potential like Sprewell.

1. Bryant
2. Harden
3. Wade
4. Ginobili
5. Igoudala
6. Mayo
7. JR Smith
8. Crawford
9. Afflalo
10. Shumpert (defensively the best on this list)

on the fench
K. Martin, B. Gordon, E. Gordon(injury prone), JJ Redick, Ray Allen, Matthews, Louis Williams, Monta Ellis

tiger0330

Legend
Only thing that keeps him from becoming a top SG is his knees. Had a scope in college, knee tendonitis and ACL surgery in his rookie year is not a good sign.

Did hear on that broadcast yesterday that the Knicks shooting coach is getting him to not elevate as much on his jump shot so maybe that takes some stress off his knees.

repted, and thank you.

Agree, I remember when we drafted Shump and over half this forum was like ?WTF?! Who the hell is this guy? but right away I knew he was a solid pick from GT. Simply because we were a team in need of a defensive presence. But most fans couldn?t or didn?t understand that, not until this new look Knicks team started to show who and what they were about.
Now some fans think he?s an allstar...How? he has yet to develop a consistent offensive game. He was never that type of guy, but that doesn?t mean he won?t come close to it. As of now, I just want him to do what I know he can do, I?m not going to pretend he?s one of the elite players until he actually is. He?s not an offensive dude but he can contribute if the team is clicking. And when Woody took over the coaching job I had no doubts this team was going to be a very hard team to beat because defense opens up your offense.
Shump will (should) get better with time, but it was his defensive and athletic skill set that impressed me and got him to where he is now, those 2 attributes alone creates energy and the Knicks seem to thrive when feeding off of that energy.

finestrg

Rotation player
Wow!!

Words can't describe how impressed I was with Shump yesterday. I mean to miss all that time and come back looking the way he did -- it looked like he didn't miss a beat. Moving around great, hitting a couple of corner 3s, the steal and reverse finish, the drive and setup for Chandler and best of all -- when he took off baseline for that one-handed dunk attempt -- WOW!! I mean he didn't convert (terrible no call by the officials on that btw - that was either deflected or a foul), but to even attempt something like that this early...Just shows how ahead of schedule he looks mental and physically right now...Think about the process STAT's going through to get back to what he was or close to it and then how Shump looked yesterday after such a long layoff from a terrible injury...I mean who knew he'd look this ahead of schedule so soon?!? Unbelieveable!! Beyond encouraging...We're in good shape here fellas.

Forget all about adding a guard -- we're fine in the backcourt. Felton's saying he wants to play in Boston Thurs. but the team is being overly cautious, so good news there too (I read that Ray said he's gonna try to convince Woody he can go in Boston). Good to know Ray's right around the corner...Ray/Shump backed up by Kidd/JR Smith, sprinkle in some Brewer/Prigioni...That's PLENTY GOOD...I still, however, think we could use one more big man that can fill in right away and contribute. You guys know how I feel about this already -- I want a better option than KT...If they wanna continue to wait on Sheed, that's fine..I think he's worth waiting for too. But cut KT and go get a better/younger DL big (the best one we can get our hands on) that's capable of some legit production if his name gets called. If we could swap out KT for a real contributor, with Shump and Felton back, Amar'e continuing to round into form, this team could be scary again, man.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
Edit: You know, to be fair, I keep forgetting about the 6'8" 230 lb. Chris Copeland, who's starting now. Wish he was a little bit better defensively & on the boards (still time for that to improve some however -- Woody's all over him every day about it---and to be honest, he isn't terrible here, better than Novak anyway) but what he does bring is legit scoring punch. That part of his game is definitely NBA caliber. His scoring at the beginning of games is much needed and has helped us hopefully put an end to all these slow starts (think the NO game last Sun and even yesterday to a smaller degree).. He takes a lot of pressure off Melo right at the beginning. Nice adjustment by Woody here.

I'd still unload KT in favor of a younger/bigger/better frontcourt option for a little more rebounding/shot-blocking and overall toughness, but whatever -- with Copeland in the mix and contributing, it's prob. not the necessity I thought it was.

5 - Chandler
4 - Melo/Copeland
3 - Copeland/Melo
2 - Shumpert
1 - Felton
--------------------------
5 - STAT
4 - KT (the only spot I'd like to see a minor upgrade -- imagine 6'11" Chris Johnson here, Luke Harangody or dare I say Hassan Whiteside)
3 - Novak
2 - Swish
1 - Kidd
Prigioni
Brewer
Sheed (definitely moves up in the rotation when ready)
Camby
White

We get all that firing on all cylinders, we could be very dangerous man. You line it all up like this, suddenly looks like everything we need to win is there pretty much.

Last edited:

deamon

Benchwarmer
1. Bryant
2. Wade
3. Harden
4. Ginobili
5. Mayo
6. Crawford
7. Martin
8. Iguodala
9. Smith
10. Ellis
11. Johnson
12. B. Gordon
13. Williams
14. Shumpert

metrocard

Legend
Only thing that keeps him from becoming a top SG is his knees. Had a scope in college, knee tendonitis and ACL surgery in his rookie year is not a good sign.

Did hear on that broadcast yesterday that the Knicks shooting coach is getting him to not elevate as much on his jump shot so maybe that takes some stress off his knees.

What's the deal with Chicago guys and their knees?

metrocard

Legend
Edit: You know, to be fair, I keep forgetting about the 6'8" 230 lb. Chris Copeland, who's starting now. Wish he was a little bit better defensively & on the boards (still time for that to improve some however -- Woody's all over him every day about it---and to be honest, he isn't terrible here, better than Novak anyway) but what he does bring is legit scoring punch. That part of his game is definitely NBA caliber. His scoring at the beginning of games is much needed and has helped us hopefully put an end to all these slow starts (think the NO game last Sun and even yesterday to a smaller degree).. He takes a lot of pressure off Melo right at the beginning. Nice adjustment by Woody here.

I'd still unload KT in favor of a younger/bigger/better frontcourt option for a little more rebounding/shot-blocking and overall toughness, but whatever -- with Copeland in the mix and contributing, it's prob. not the necessity I thought it was.

5 - Chandler
4 - Melo/Copeland
3 - Copeland/Melo
2 - Shumpert
1 - Felton
5 - STAT
4 - KT (the only spot I'd like to see a minor upgrade -- imagine 6'11" Chris Johnson here, Luke Harangody or dare I say Hassan Whiteside)
3 - Novak
2 - Swish
1 - Kidd
Prigioni
Brewer
Sheed (definitely moves up in the rotation when ready)
Camby
White

We get all that firing on all cylinders, we could be very dangerous man. You line it all up like this, suddenly looks like everything we need to win is there pretty much.

Do you feel Knicks can out run teams now with a back court of Felton/Shumpert/Smith? They're not Barbosa or Ish Smith fast but they're A level to me.

I felt like Knicks sometimes don't reach full potential in terms of running the fast break when they have Kidd and Stoudimire on the floor

Our fastest lineup is probably

Felton
Shumpert
Smith
Anthony
Chandler

Kiyaman

Legend
repted, and thank you.

Agree, I remember when we drafted Shump and over half this forum was like ?WTF?! Who the hell is this guy? but right away I knew he was a solid pick from GT. Simply because we were a team in need of a defensive presence. But most fans couldn?t or didn?t understand that, not until this new look Knicks team started to show who and what they were about.
Now some fans think he?s an allstar...How? he has yet to develop a consistent offensive game. He was never that type of guy, but that doesn?t mean he won?t come close to it. As of now, I just want him to do what I know he can do, I?m not going to pretend he?s one of the elite players until he actually is. He?s not an offensive dude but he can contribute if the team is clicking. And when Woody took over the coaching job I had no doubts this team was going to be a very hard team to beat because defense opens up your offense.
Shump will (should) get better with time, but it was his defensive and athletic skill set that impressed me and got him to where he is now, those 2 attributes alone creates energy and the Knicks seem to thrive when feeding off of that energy.

u right, Im one of those fans still upset about picking Shump in a draft where Kenneth Faried were still on the board at the 17th pick .. Faried was suppose to be a top-10 pick.
I like Shump's defenive skillz in the backcourt his decision-making on offense need a lot of work, but i agree Shump is far from being a all-star .. Shump is a 2nd season player who came back to early from a ACL surgery.
Plus Shump & Novak's best consistency performance as a Knicks were with Linsanity uptempo game.

Shump didnt look well in our ISO halfcourt-offense lastseason .. and Shump's not playing well in this season ISO-offense system, plus being the 3rd guard in the lineup.