OFFICIAL IMAN (IMAX) SHUMPERT should be starting thread

CA7

Scoring Champ
I dont want Iman starting yet, I want him as the leader of the 2nd unit his energy is contagious bring him in when we're flat or when we wanna keep the pace going

nyk_nyk

All Star
I've always liked Fields, but his ceiling is not that high. He isn't really going to get a whole lot better from how he was playing in the first half of last season - mostly because he's already 22, and most of his development has already happened.

Iman on the other hand I think has a higher ceiling because he's much more athletic. Fields is a good player, but I think Fields is a good roleplayer on a playoff team.

There is absolutely no way for you to know that. You're seriously reaching with that one. On top of that, you only have a ONE season sample size.

nyk_nyk

All Star
If we're winning, leave things alone. The only definite change will be when B-Diddy is ready to play. If we run into any issues along the way and it appears our starting sg position is lacking then the move will be warranted.

Until then, let's not start shuffling the lineup before we even have a full official game in yet. I get we're all anxious to get started but settle down gents... we will be good either way.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Grunwald

A month ago we had 8 contracts and 7 spaces...which not only got filled but filled superbly I might add with the addition of a healthy Davis at some point. Everything else are details. They can all play but who did we have that could play with the likes of D. WADE or ROSE...or KOBE or against them ....thats my mind set. Again, we will not squeak into the playoffs like an old Cadillac coming off lease. I project 50-6 wins not last years 42.
As a native LI 'er I hated Dolan as he was sucked in by Issiah. The Donny Walsh's legacy is now been completed by Grunwald who signed Davis to a Veterans min 1.4 million.
With Amare, Carmelo, Chandler, and Davis....it's the first time in years I am going into a season hoping to be very competative and not embarrass ourselves. A healthy Davis is my Rx for this team . If the herniated disc at L3 responds to conservative treatment...As GERALDINE used say WATCH OUT!!!!

C'YA WEDNEDAY.....

Paul1355

All Star
Shumpert > Fields

I know we only saw one game from Shumpert but he obviously has more tools than Fields.

Fields is a better rebounder and probably has a better IQ.

BUT

Shumpert is more athletic, has better handles, is a better passer, has a sweet jumpshot which fields has to prove he has again, shump can drive better than fields, shump is more aggressive so he draws more fouls, he has more energy, and he is faster and I almost forgot his DEFENSE...Shumpert swiped the ball out of D Wills hands like it was nothing, this kid can play defense and Fields got torched by Ray Allen in the playoffs, I don't think Allen does that to Shumpert....so i think with all of those facts we should assume that Shumpert should start.

I think Shumpert should start once Davis is healthy unless Douglas sucks so much at passing that Shumpert has to start at PG.

Our lineup should be

Davis
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Chandler

Make Douglas a sixth man and lower Fields minutes. I love Fields but he doesn't deserve 30 min a game. He should of been benched as soon as he hit the rookie wall and especially before the playoffs. Mike D failed to realize that rookies just can't get through the wall.

Shumpert will starrt eventually. Now that Davis is here, Shump will take Fields' spot.

Fields is a better player off of the bench. He will bring energy and rebounding. Plus he can play some minutes at SF

skisloper

Starter
I think if Baron Davis is the PG you 100% go with Fields...He will compliment those 4 players. He is a hustler and thats the role we will need...

Paul1355

All Star
I think if Baron Davis is the PG you 100% go with Fields...He will compliment those 4 players. He is a hustler and thats the role we will need...
Watch some videos of Shumpert, he is a force off the ball. He always comes off screens and just slams it on people from the alley oop pass.

Shumpert is better but i see how you and other posters feel Fields will be the bette compliment.

Fields HAS to be the Fields of the 1st half of last season, or else we can all agree that he deserves to be on the bench with Shumpert taking his spot.

I just think Shumpert will be the starting 2 guard eventually, only a matter of time. He will impress so much that Mike D will be forced to increase his minutes.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Shump will already see a lot of minutes. 25-30 a game possibly. it will excel his progression and i think he'll surprise a lot of people day one when he does a great job on rondo. eventually i see him being considered for ROY. could be a perfect fit to this team and a gem that we need to add to the starting lineup. he's got out of this world skills and can definitely ball. has confidence and his shot has vastly improved look out for him

knickerbocka176

Benchwarmer
Dantoni shud really consider starting imax on wed. to see how well he does starting. In my opinion shump should start when we open the season it'll definitely boost his confidence. He will contribute more then feilds and feilds will contribute more off the bench:peace:

You talking about B-Diddy? Post a pic so we can see (no homo)

This dude Bibby is hurt already. Save him for emergencies only & some tutelage.

I don't have a shirtless pic (no homo) at the moment, but look at his face, really tells the story!

Fat Baron Davis (Warriors):

BaronDavis.bmp

In shape Baron (12/19/2011):

carousel_baronwithjonah.jpg

His cheeks are half the size, he's cut a lot of bodyfat!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Get back to this thread after 15-20 games.

Happy to have Davis on board for the min, and think Shump's and Douglas' roles will be determined/redefined by his play.

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;190868 said:
Get back to this thread after 15-20 games.

Happy to have Davis on board for the min, and think Shump's and Douglas' roles will be determined/redefined by his play.

This.

When Davis is playing, everything changes. Just because he was "cut", got signed for a "vet min" and played for some shit teams recently...I think our perception naturally isn't as "YES! WHAT A PICK UP!", as it should. This is on par with us bringing back Felton, IMHO, and with more upside in the playoffs especially.

Fields really shit the bed after Melo deal, and while Melo himself played a part, the dramatically altered (and slower) tempo of Billups was not a good thing. Baron is a high tempo leader, and not one with a major ego attached to that, who wants to act like a "Big Brother" to a fellow start player (*COUGH COUGH, Billups*). He also actually wanted to come play for us.

The hardest thing for a young guard to do is be a real distributor, leader, and have crunch time savvy.

Shumert & Co. will not be asked to do this with Baron at the helm.

Shumpert/Douglas/Fields is suddenly a three-headed beast of a rotation to be rotating in the SG slot, while also giving Baron some backup when it's not Bibby. Hell, we will prolly see Shumpert and Fields play some 3 this year to when it's advantageous to matchups!

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't have a shirtless pic (no homo) at the moment, but look at his face, really tells the story!

Fat Baron Davis (Warriors):

BaronDavis.bmp

In shape Baron (12/19/2011):

carousel_baronwithjonah.jpg

His cheeks are half the size, he's cut a lot of bodyfat!

I think his thick beard gives the illusion of fatness.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Even then, Fat Baron with the Warriors was a MONSTER

Baron fits into the Knicks' offense way better than Billups did. I love Billups and think he's a great player, but at the end of the day this is a full-court team that should overwhelm other opponents with athleticism so let's DO IT!!!

Red

TYPE-A
The way I see it

Every team has the challenge of finding the right mix of talent; the optimal mix of offense & defense, size, etc...

When we analyze our roster, and take the data from the ladder part of last season with STAT & Melo, we can conclude:

1. We lacked size in the middle, thus we performed poorly on defense and on the boards; partly due to our size, and the consequences of our system.

We addressed this deficiency by signing Chandler.

2. Our system resulted in being 2nd in offense with STAT & Melo among the league leaders in scoring- obviously. Scoring was never the problem. Either by design, or virtue of chucking up a volume of shots, we scored.

Now with our current roster, and taking into account the many variables such as: players are more familiar, shortened season with many back-to-backs

...and with our front court set

we really only need to decide the right mix in the back-court.

Yeah we hope it's B-Diddy running the point, if not we have short-term options. That leaves us with the two.

Landry brings rebounding, spacing, and passing, but is limited in on-ball defense, shooting, and he has an average handle. His success came on put-backs, the occasional kick-out three, and drawing fouls while driving.

If we could design the prototypical two for us with TC-STAT-MELO-B. DIDDY we would have to include some of what Landry brings, namely his overall hustle as most of the primarily important duties should be handled by the four mentioned above. But we would also HAVE to demand spot up shooting and something else Landry lacks... DEFENSE!

Yes we've addressed our size issue. But now the tweaking has begun. With Shumpert, if he can prove his shooting prowess; if he can mimic or eclipse Field's bball IQ (rebounding or not), he adds an element we need in my opinion...

PERIMETER DEFENSE. That's where defense starts, on the perimeter. Playing the passing lanes, thwarting penetration, help defense ALL HAVE TO BE INCORPORATED if we want to transform into a quality defensive team. Neither of the four-horsemen can do this. Fields cannot do this.

The issue isn't if Imax can do this... the issue is, is that the best decision for our success. Whatever drop-off that may result from replacing Fields, should be negated with what Imax brings.

Why would we leave an athletic defender on the bench for spot duty while missing one in our starting back-court? Field's skill set is perfect for a bench role. In a 66 game season, allow a confident, athletic freak hit the ground running. Allow Fields to settle into his new role. Stop forcing the round peg into the square hole.

START IMAX and watch him cause havoc on the perimeter.

We had the lead in many games last season... Imax can make sure we keep it this season.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Speed? Iman
Handle? Fields- only because when Iman dribbles it seems to be a bit high
IQ? Fields
Passing? Iman- but Fields has good reads with Stat
Defense? Iman
Offense? Iman but the scoring will not be an important role with Melo and Stat

For now Fields should start, TD will have time to prove himself and Iman should be the sixth man being able to play three positions. If Iman had to be placed in to start it would be TD, because I still think TD is better of the bench. Toney Douglas reminds me a lot of Jason Terry, he's best at scoring and bringing energy off the bench.

Red

TYPE-A
Speed? Iman
IQ? Fields
Defense? Iman

For now Fields should start, TD will have time to prove himself and Iman should be the sixth man being able to play three positions. If Iman had to be placed in to start it would be TD, because I still think TD is better of the bench. Toney Douglas reminds me a lot of Jason Terry, he's best at scoring and bringing energy off the bench.

But you gave Iman 3 out of 5, although you said one didn't matter.:shrug:

And yes TD is best suited for the bench.

And Imax IS A PG with way better handle.

So it comes down to overall defense vs rebounding (although we know MOA will favor a shooter)...

and we know "shooting" isn't really needed as much as "defense".

IMAX.

Let's not kid ourselves. Or do we need a greater body of better-than-Fields?

Ok...

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Speed? Iman
IQ? Fields
Defense? Iman

Shumpert was going fast with the ball. He seemed to be clearly the better ball handler.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Shumpert was going fast with the ball. He seemed to be clearly the better ball handler.

I might be wrong but when he dribbles sometimes to me he dribbles to high, where he could turn it over. Iman has better dribbling skills but in the end I believe he will turnover the ball more. Need to see him play more, and still thinks he is better fit giving the starters some rest on the bench.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
But you gave Iman 3 out of 5, although you said one didn't matter.:shrug:

And yes TD is best suited for the bench.

And Imax IS A PG with way better handle.

So it comes down to overall defense vs rebounding (although we know MOA will favor a shooter)...

and we know "shooting" isn't really needed as much as "defense".

IMAX.

Let's not kid ourselves. Or do we need a greater body of better-than-Fields?

Ok...

I like a team to be more leveled having some great players come off the bench. Seeing how the season is going to have many back to back games, bench players is going to be more important than ever. Iman work on being a leader and floor general off the bench giving our starters rest. Toney Douglas was to suppose to continue learning running the point but now is the only option to start.

Iman has better skills and more potential than Fields but Fields best fits the role of a starter. Fields has good chemistry with Stat and is a smart player. Fields knows his role, he won't have to use much energy on offense, will hustle for rebounds and spread the floor shooting. As of right now Fields is the better shooter until Iman has more games like his first pre season game.

Knicks need Iman to run the show off the bench creating for others and scoring.