Where do you rank Chandler amongst the NBA elites?

metrocard

Legend
Can we agree Tyson is in his prime? Had a strong season in Dallas, and has been probably one of the best 3rd guy you can ride with on your team (remember how good Paul/West/Chandler was in NO and in the playoffs?)

He has an 18.45 PER but I believe his impact go beyond the numbers.

My C ranking

1. Howard
2. Horford
3. Bynum
4. Duncan
5. Noah
6. Chandler
7. Nene
8. Lopez
9. Bogut
10. Gasol

fender0577

Rotation player
Can we agree Tyson is in his prime? Had a strong season in Dallas, and has been probably one of the best 3rd guy you can ride with on your team (remember how good Paul/West/Chandler was in NO and in the playoffs?)

He has an 18.45 PER but I believe his impact go beyond the numbers.
My C ranking

1. Howard-Perfect.
2. Horford-To short, but his is nice.
3. Bynum-Stay healthy.
4. Duncan-Kinda old, don't you think.
5. Noah-Can't complain, was my second choice, because he doesn't need the ball, like TC.
6. Chandler-My #2/3, See Noah.
7. Nene-Good
8. Lopez-Not as tough as TC, kinda soft.
9. Bogut-He's a buck, iv'e never seen the bucks play.
10 Gasol-He looks ok, but not the defender TC is.

metrocard

Legend
My C ranking

1. Howard-Perfect.
2. Horford-To short, but his is nice.
3. Bynum-Stay healthy.
4. Duncan-Kinda old, don't you think.
5. Noah-Can't complain, was my second choice, because he doesn't need the ball, like TC.
6. Chandler-My #2/3, See Noah.
7. Nene-Good
8. Lopez-Not as tough as TC, kinda soft.
9. Bogut-He's a buck, iv'e never seen the bucks play.
10 Gasol-He looks ok, but not the defender TC is.

Horford is better than Chandler...and even an old Duncan is still an impactful player.

Bogut is top 5 when healthy. IMO

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
To me the best big man in NBA is Gasol he scores, rebounds, passes and plays great defence. Over 50% from the field over 80% form the line. Was a main reason that Lakers went to finals 3 straight times - a perfect teammate for Kobe. Don't forget that he guarded Howard in 2009 Finals and outplayed him. Last playoffs he played poorly but entire Lakers team played like crap so it's unfair to judge him by that series against Mavs only.

I think Chandler is slightly overrated sure he had a good season but can he duplicate it in a team that's not defensive-minded? I hardly doubt that.

1.Gasol
2.Howard
3.Bynum
4.Bogut (when healthy)
5.Horford
6.Noah
7.Chandler
8.Lopez
9.Nene
10.McGee

metrocard

Legend
To me the best big man in NBA is Gasol he scores, rebounds, passes and plays great defence. Over 50% from the field over 80% form the line. Was a main reason that Lakers went to finals 3 straight times - a perfect teammate for Kobe. Don't forget that he guarded Howard in 2009 Finals and outplayed him. Last playoffs he played poorly but entire Lakers team played like crap so it's unfair to judge him by that series against Mavs only.

I think Chandler is slightly overrated sure he had a good season but can he duplicate it in a team that's not defensive-minded? I hardly doubt that.

I agree, Gasol is underrated. People downrate him because of his style.

fender0577

Rotation player
Horford is better than Chandler...and even an old Duncan is still an impactful player.

Bogut is top 5 when healthy. IMO
Have u seen Duncan the last few seasons, the guy can hardly move or jump, and i would take TC over horford, because he is a better defender, leader, and he is 3 inches taller.Horford should go to PF were he belongs.Did you see what the Magic did to them a few years ago?, that' because he is to small to play center.TC fits with this team better than any other center, because he doesn't need the rock to be effective.

iJoe

Rotation player
Both of the Gasol brothers are underrated and Bynum is overrated until he actually stays on the court and proves he can handle being the focus of the offense.

I agree that Duncan's impact days are pretty much over. He would have eaten Randolph and Marc Gasol for lunch back in the day.

Chandler is hard to rate because he had the advantage of playing with top notch PGs. Lets see how his offense holds up without CP3 or Kidd throwing lobs for him.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
You forgot about Gortat, he's definately better than Lopez. Okay, he's less of a scorer, but playing less minutes he averaged 3.3 more rebounds per game. Gortat played three and half year behind Howard and has plenty of talent, I expect him averaging 10+ rebounds and 15+ points this season.

Forrest17

Rotation player
1. Howard
2. Mark Gasol
3. Tyson Chandler
4. Al Jefferson
5. Andrew Bynum
6. Noah
7. Nene
8. Al Horford
9. Lopez
10. Bargnani

Forrest17

Rotation player
Perfect list.

thanks hah. I think Mark Gasol is incredibly underrated. He is one of the last true centers in the league imo. He is a fantastic low post defender, has a good mid range shot, he can do it all imo. His numbers dropped a bit last season but that was because of Zach Randolph being an absurd rebounder for a forward, on any other team he is a 15/10 center.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Duncan's not even top ten?

Not anymore. Hes close, maybe 12th or 13th but imo he is getting older and I think this season will be tough for him. His points per game and rebounding are still pretty decent but I feel like his defense has dropped off significantly. Over his career he is one of the best to ever play but the way I thought of this list is, if I had a team, and I got to choose who I wanted at center, who would I pick, and at this moment I would pick all those guys over Duncan at this point in his career.

Kiyaman

Legend
Tyson Chandler defensive skills as a center rank #2 in the NBA....

that was enough to lift a non-defensive team (Mavs) to win a Championship trophy.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Not anymore. Hes close, maybe 12th or 13th but imo he is getting older and I think this season will be tough for him. His points per game and rebounding are still pretty decent but I feel like his defense has dropped off significantly. Over his career he is one of the best to ever play but the way I thought of this list is, if I had a team, and I got to choose who I wanted at center, who would I pick, and at this moment I would pick all those guys over Duncan at this point in his career.

Yea i hear you.. He did kind of fall off last year (13 and 9, 2 blks). I'd put him at ten. I think he's still pretty good defensively, better than alot of the guys on that list imo. It's not like teams don't have to think about/prepare for him anymore.

Isn't Duncan more of a PF?

He's a center.

When you think of the guys that San Ant has started over the years at the center position its easy to see it as more of formality. Guys like Kurt Thomas, Nazr Mohammed, that dude Oberto, Rasho Nesterovic etc.. Pop had those guys there to take pressure off Duncan by letting them guard the other teams big guy.

I think Duncan had his reasons for staying listed as a PF after Robinson retired. Him coming in as a rook w Robinson as the HOF center/cap on the team already is one big reason he started off his career being listed at that PF position.

I think he stayed at the position for a few reasons:

1. The problematic All Star situation. There was another center by the name of O'neal who landed there at the 5 annually. It would make it difficult for him to start every yr if he listed himself as a 5.

2. I also think he wanted to defy the stigma of the plodding bigman with limited skills, ie inside game only.. TD could/can step out & shoot that little banker off glass from angle, hit 20 ft jumpers consistently, handle well and have the offense run through him completely, all in addition to his dominant low-post game.

3. Lastly, imo he likes for people to think of him as the GOAT at the PF. He can't claim that if listed as a 5, no way.

Make no mistake tho he is a center.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Have u seen Duncan the last few seasons, the guy can hardly move or jump, and i would take TC over horford, because he is a better defender, leader, and he is 3 inches taller.Horford should go to PF were he belongs.Did you see what the Magic did to them a few years ago?, that' because he is to small to play center.TC fits with this team better than any other center, because he doesn't need the rock to be effective.

1. Duncan last few seasons was the most efficient center behind Howard. Duncan's impact on the game still exist, despite him becoming slower and not being able to "jump or move". Skillset wise, Duncan is the best.

2. Horford is an NBA AllStar, and a better all around player who averages 16 and 10 playing out of position. He's a complete center that comes with a midrange game, mobility, strength and athleticism, rebounding, defense and passing. Horford also isn't foul prone and has a high basketball IQ. He rebounds well over taller centers than him.

What Howard did to Horford a few years ago doesn't matter. Horford was a rookie, and Howard is unstoppable.

We don't know if Tyson fits with this team, the season just started. You're too premature.

Here's the list of people to average a 14/10 (slightly rounded up) who didn't shoot like **** under the age of 25 in the 3 pt era:
http://www.basketball-reference.com...val=.57&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=per

That's pretty decent company, especially when you consider Horford is playing out of position.

Chandler's impact is beyond the stats, but so is Horford's.

iSaYughh

Starter
You can win championships with Chandler as your third best player. :smokin:

If he stays healthy...for our purposes, I'm inclined to rank him higher than Nene....possibly even M. Gasol, too.

Re: Horford, his passing alone merits extreme praise.

Horford is like a young Duncan Lite in certain ways.

CA7

Scoring Champ
There's only 4 Centers, if healthy I'd take over Chandler

Howard
Horford
Bogut, if healthy
Oden, if healthy