Fitness Thread

metrocard

Legend
Becoming an amateur boxer in March.
My client Xavier lost 25 pounds in 15 sessions, not bad, we have 85 more sessions. He can do 30 jump rope rotations. A month ago he couldnt even get over the rope. He's currently 270 lbs, started at 295.
My other client, Sherry lost 21 pounds, got 3 more sessions with her.

****ing cold weather is such a turn off though...I like to warm up my body really hot, it sucks going into HIIT with a cold body, so I do pre-longed warm up.

This week I am focusing on my endurance and cardio, boxing footwork, hand speed, and core strength and stability.

Not going too crazy on strength conditioning with the upper and lower region, probably do a regular 3 set/15-20 reps of chinups/pullups/dips and a 600 push ups in 15 minutes once or twice this week. Work on the kettle bell lightly, arnold presses, squats, everything light this week.

I'm 5"9 163...Looking to drop to 154 and stay strong there, walking around 154-162 lbs...so I'm not far off.

Hows everyone doing?
Any questions?

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I'm hitting track season in about 2 weeks and have struggled to get in shape so far. Any tips to getting myself in shape for sprinting the 100m and 200m? I was running around 11.1 seconds in the 100m and 200m 21.9 in the 200m and was looking to improve upon those times. But I can't seem to get in the kind of shape I was last year. I'm running about 1500 yards in sprints and build-ups and I'm hitting the weight room pretty hard plus I'm doing pool workouts as well for resistance. Any specifics to help me feel better when I'm running? because this season has not felt good and man do I feel out of shape. Not to mention my abs look like s*** as well. Anyway you could help me with all these problems? lol

metrocard

Legend
Lets see your profiles.

What are your favorite quotes for fitness?

Do or do not. There is no try.

Pain is your friend, It lets you know you are still alive

Believe and Achieve
Big isn't strong. Strong is strong.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.

When you?re happy and your smiling, haters are frowning. When you have a clear conscious and your mind is free, others are confused. When you can see where you?re going and no longer living in the dark, others are blinded by your light.

What are your favorite exercise for each muscle group and the max reps/load?

Quadriceps - Squat jump (12 reps X 80% of max)
Hamstrings - good morning (12 reps X 80% of max)
Gastrocnemius - Knee extention (12 reps X 80% of max)
Soleus - Toe Raises (12 reps X 80% of max)
Latissimus Dorsi - pullups (30 reps)
Rectus Abdominis - planks(5 minutes)/bowed leg set ups(30 slow controlled reps)
Obliques - russian twist (30 slow controlled reps)
Pectoralis Major - Pushups (88 reps)
Anterior Deltoid - Arnold Press (12 reps x 40lbs)
Lateral Deltoid - Cable Lateral Raise (12 reps x 80% of max)
Posterior Deltoid - Barbell Rear Delt Raise (12 reps x 80% of max)
Tricep - Dips (30 reps)
Bicep - Chin ups (28 reps)
Forearms - pronation (12 reps of 10lb dumbells)
Fullbody - kettlebells!!!!!

Favorite Cardio?[/b[
Jumprope and shadowboxing

Favorite Plyometric exercise?

Favorite Sport to preform?
Boxing

Favorite snack?
Almonds

Favorite cheat snack?

Fig Newtons

Height, Weight, Age, Body Fat %?
5"9
163lbs
21 years old
7% bodyfat

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
push-ups, sit-ups, squats, and 30 pound dumbells. ALL DAY, EVERYDAY.

6'1'', 172lbs., 25 y'o , body fat: ???

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Yo, I just switched to early morning work-outs. How do I stop from feeling like throwing up after work-outs??? :barf: don't wanna throw up. its not a good look for me :lol:

metrocard

Legend
Yo, I just switched to early morning work-outs. How do I stop from feeling like throwing up after work-outs??? :barf: don't wanna throw up. its not a good look for me :lol:

Gotta stay hydrated and well nutrition...and warm up for 10 minutes.

Can't run a car at its fastest in the cold without fuel and warming it up.

metrocard

Legend
http://www.answerbag.com/article/Th...c45-5bd2-e631-45fac568ae5f/shoulder-exercises

Defenders of stationary equipment argue that machines are designed to limit what you can do wrong. But seated machines often put heavier loads on the back and joints than is necessary, and almost always miss the mark when it comes to replicating the movements found in everyday life, according to Ultimate Back Performance and Fitness, by Stuart McGill, PhD, a professor of spine biomechanics at the University of Waterloo, in Ontario. For this list of exercises, we consulted McGill; Nicholas DiNubile, MD, author of FrameWork: Your 7-Step Program for Healthy Muscles, Bones, and Joints; and trainer Vern Gambetta, author of Athletic Development: The Art & Science of Functional Sports Conditioning.

1 Seated Leg Extension
What it?s supposed to do: Train the quadriceps
What it actually does: It strengthens a motion your legs aren?t actually designed to do, and can put undue strain on the ligaments and tendons surrounding the kneecaps.
A better exercise: One-legged body-weight squats. Lift one leg up and bend the opposite knee, dipping as far as you can, with control, while flexing at the hip, knee, and ankle. Use a rail for support until you develop requisite leg strength and balance. Aim for five to 10 reps on each leg. (If you are susceptible to knee pain, do the Bulgarian split squat instead, resting the top of one foot on a bench positioned two to three feet behind you. Descend until your thigh is parallel to the ground and then stand back up. Do five to 10 reps per leg.)

2 Seated Military Press What it?s supposed to do: Train shoulders and triceps
What it actually does: Overhead pressing can put shoulder joints in vulnerable biomechanical positions. It puts undue stress on the shoulders, and the movement doesn?t let you use your hips to assist your shoulders, which is the natural way to push something overhead.
A better exercise: Medicine-ball throws. Stand three feet from a concrete wall; bounce a rubber medicine ball off a spot on the wall four feet above your head, squatting to catch the ball and rising to throw it upward in one continuous motion. Aim for 15 to 20 reps. Alternative: Standing alternate dumbbell presses. As you push the right dumbbell overhead, shift the right hip forward. Switch to the left side.

3 Seated Lat Pull-Down (Behind the Neck) What it?s supposed to do: Train lats, upper back, and biceps
What it actually does: Unless you have very flexible shoulders, it?s difficult to do correctly, so it can cause pinching in the shoulder joint and damage the rotator cuff.
A better exercise: Incline pull-ups. Place a bar in the squat rack at waist height, grab the bar with both hands, and hang from the bar with your feet stretched out in front of you. Keep your torso stiff, and pull your chest to the bar 10 to 15 times. To make it harder, lower the bar; to make it easier, raise the bar.

4 Seated Pec Deck What it?s supposed to do: Train chest and shoulders
What it actually does: It can put the shoulder in an unstable position and place excessive stress on the shoulder joint and its connective tissue.
A better exercise: Incline push-ups. Aim for 15 to 20 reps. If this is too easy, progress to regular push-ups and plyometric push-ups (where you push up with enough force that your hands come off the ground), and aim for five to eight reps.

5 Seated Hip-Abductor Machine What it?s supposed to do: Train outer thighs
What it actually does: Because you are seated, it trains a movement that has no functional use. If done with excessive weight and jerky technique, it can put undue pressure on the spine.
A better exercise: Place a heavy, short, looped resistance band around your legs (at your ankles); sidestep out 20 paces and back with control. This is much harder than it sounds.

6 Seated Rotation Machine What it?s supposed to do: Train abdominals and obliques
What it actually does: Because the pelvis doesn?t move with the chest, this exercise can put excessive twisting forces on the spine.
A better exercise: Do the cable wood chop, letting your heels turn freely with your torso. Aim for 10 to 12 reps

7 Seated Leg Press What it?s supposed to do: Train quadriceps, glutes,
and hamstrings
What it actually does: It often forces the spine to flex without engaging any of the necessary stabilization muscles of the hips, glutes, shoulders, and lower back.
A better exercise: Body-weight squats. Focus on descending with control as far as you can without rounding your lower back. Aim for 15 to 20 for a set and increase sets as you develop strength.

8 Squats Using Smith Machine What it?s supposed to do: Train chest, biceps, and legs
What it actually does: The alignment of the machine?the bar is attached to a vertical sliding track?makes for linear, not natural, arched movements. This puts stress on the knees, shoulders, and lower back.
A better exercise: Body-weight squats. See ?Seated Leg Press.?

9 Roman Chair Back Extension What it?s supposed to do: Train spinal erectors
What it actually does: Repeatedly flexing the back while it?s supporting weight places pressure on the spine and increases the risk of damaging your disks.
A better exercise: The bird-dog. Crouch on all fours, extend your right arm forward, and extend left leg backward. Do 10 seven-second reps, and then switch to the opposite side.

10 Roman Chair Sit-up What it?s supposed to do: Train abdominals and hip flexors
What it actually does: The crunching motion can put undue stress on the lower back when it is in a vulnerable rounded position.
A better exercise: The plank. Lie facedown on the floor. Prop up on your forearms, palms down. Rise up on your toes. Keep your back flat and contract your glutes, abdominals, and lats to keep your butt from sticking up. Hold this pose for 20 to 60 seconds.

Push ups
Pull ups/Chins
Dips...

but

Nothing wrong with leg press. And the thigh abductor/adductor machine can be really good for rehabilitation.
it's unrealistic to expect people who currently do workout, to just enter a gym and start squatting, deadlifting, etc etc. The machines seem much less intimidating, which is why so many people stick to them. And something is better than nothing...

People who normally do machines are on Exercise Autopilot
They do the same thing each and every time you exercise. Same machines, same pace, same duration. Whilethe routine sure feels comfortable, the results have long since halted.
A plateau occurs when your body adapts to your routine and weight loss stops.

metrocard

Legend
Little note on my nutrition blog on FB.

Most diets aren?t about action; they?re about thoughts.
You spend mad time thinking about not having food.
Either you follow your diet or you don?t. It?s all or nothing.

If only you had the willpower to step away from the mayonnaise. If only you could stop after four Pringles. If only you had the power, the strength, the discipline, the cojones, the energy, the drive, the motivation to control your waist, then you?d finally have the body you want. You?ve placed all the responsibility for dietary success or failure on your little 3-pound brain.

But you can?t defeat nature.
Truth is, your body is built for eating. It?s full of hormones and neurotransmitters whose jobs roughly translate into "pass the pound cake."

example:
Overeating is like drug addiction. Studies show that obese people have reward centers in their brain similar to the reward centers of drug addicts.
Stress eating is cyclical. When you eat to reduce stress, you activate the reward centers of your brain. When the feel-good effects wear off, you reach again for the thing that made you feel relaxed: food.
Heavy people respond differently to certain foods. For example, in heavy people, the parietal region of the brain -- the control center for the tongue, lips, and mouth -- is activated by sugar. In skinny people, it isn?t.

To expect that your will or your fortitude can override chemical messages like these is the equivalent of seeing my ex override being an attention whore.

To get on the road to waist management and stay there, you have to first strip away the guilt that comes with eating, the guilt that comes with diets, and the guilt that comes with occasionally enjoying foods that aren?t at the platinum level on healthy-eating charts.

And you have to start listening to your body and responding intelligently to your cravings and your emotions. You have to train your brain to stop obsessing about eating right.

Over time, you?ll learn what your body is saying and why, and you?ll learn how to eat right to manage those cravings. Because the unrecognized truth about dieting is that when you stop overthinking, you?ll stop overeating.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=311984864905

th3realicon

Rotation player
Can you train an underweight man such as myself to have the Randy Orton build?

Can you save 15% or more by switching to Geico?

Sure you can budy, it will take a long arse time though. Weight doesn't go overnight. You would need the right mix of eating healthy and working out and you really want to be like Orton some roids and a good tatty artist would be needed as well.

metrocard

Legend
@metrocard
what're your stats? no homo, just curious
What are your favorite quotes for fitness?

Do or do not. There is no try.

Pain is your friend, It lets you know you are still alive

Believe and Achieve

Big isn't strong. Strong is strong.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.

When you?re happy and your smiling, haters are frowning. When you have a clear conscious and your mind is free, others are confused. When you can see where you?re going and no longer living in the dark, others are blinded by your light.

What are your favorite exercise for each muscle group and the max reps/load?

Quadriceps - Squat jump (12 reps X 80% of max)
Hamstrings - good morning (12 reps X 80% of max)
Gastrocnemius - Knee extention (12 reps X 80% of max)
Soleus - Toe Raises (12 reps X 80% of max)
Latissimus Dorsi - pullups (30 reps)
Rectus Abdominis - planks(5 minutes)/bowed leg set ups(30 slow controlled reps)
Obliques - russian twist (30 slow controlled reps)
Pectoralis Major - Pushups (88 reps)
Anterior Deltoid - Arnold Press (12 reps x 40lbs)
Lateral Deltoid - Cable Lateral Raise (12 reps x 80% of max)
Posterior Deltoid - Barbell Rear Delt Raise (12 reps x 80% of max)
Tricep - Dips (30 reps)
Bicep - Chin ups (28 reps)
Forearms - pronation (12 reps of 10lb dumbells)
Fullbody - kettlebells!!!!!

Favorite Cardio?[/b[
Jumprope and shadowboxing

Favorite Plyometric exercise?

Favorite Sport to preform?
Boxing

Favorite snack?
Almonds

Favorite cheat snack?

Fig Newtons

Height, Weight, Age, Body Fat %?
5"9
163lbs
21 years old
7% bodyfat
ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
In the Process of getting my Bachelors in Exercise Science

Currently in home training, independent training at local gyms, and an aspiring boxer looking to go pro by age 23.

Can you train an underweight man such as myself to have the Randy Orton build?

If you're 6"5, yes.

th3realicon

Rotation player
Btw what's the fuss about this Ab Circle thing? I spend almost 1 hour daily in between treadmill and elliptical machine and this hot Mama on TV is trying to convince me that i can get better results in 3 minutes using that?

Is it worth it?

metrocard

Legend
Btw what's the fuss about this Ab Circle thing? I spend almost 1 hour daily in between treadmill and elliptical machine and this hot Mama on TV is trying to convince me that i can get better results in 3 minutes using that?

Is it worth it?

Nope.....not at all.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
How much do you weight?
and how old are you.

I could write out a program for you.

Last year in January I was um...120?Something like that.Let's say I gained a pound since I ate more since then and worked out a tad bit.I have a fast metabolism.Nothing to do with lack of eating.

I'm 21.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Bump!

I'm 23 now and weigh about 136-137. Been exercising/working out since about mid-August. I work on my legs every other day (jogging 20-30 something minutes) and some other short exercises, and do some upper-body workouts every other day. I want to get a personal trainer.