Fitness Thread

metrocard

Legend
You need to eat everything.

Carb, protein, fats ? they?re all essential to your body; the key is moderation.
You need to eat at the right time.

Don?t starve when your body needs energy, and don?t over-eat when you have enough. Timing your meals allow you to stay full on less food.
Your diet should fit your needs.

Diets are not one-size-fits-all. Everyone?s bodies, lifestyles, diets, and dieting goals are different. A weight loss diet for one person might lead to weight gain for another.
Healthy dieting requires:
TIMING (of meals)
VARIETY (of foods)
BALANCE (of nutrients)
MODERATION (of portions)

Meat - Stick to white meat. It is easier for your body to digest, processes faster through your body, and doesn?t sit around in your stomach making you sluggish. Examples of white meat are chicken, turkey, and fish. Funny how white meat happens to be lean animals that can fly or move quickly? Red meat is the stuff you try to avoid if you can ? which is beef or pork. Maybe it?s because our cows and pigs are fed crap that it makes their meat less healthy for the body.

Proteins - Besides meat, eggs, tuna, greek yogurt, beef jerky and almond or soy milk are an excellent source of pure protein.

Fruits and Vegetables ? Everybody needs vitamins, this is a requirement to be a healthy person in general. Eat a wide variety of them. Remember the more colorful the better. Broccoli, Spinach, Blueberries, Apples, Oranges, Cherries, Carrots.

Liquids - Water, water, water! One gallon a day is minimum for everybody in general. Two to three gallons is a must if you workout hard and/or live in a hot state. Again, this is a minimum, if you can drink more, do it. Stay the hell away from alcohol, it will slow you down, fatten you up, and put you in more situations where you are likely to be straying away from the healthy boxer?s lifestyle!

Fats - Honestly, this has more to do with your genetic makeup than anything. If you have a body that builds up fat easily, stay away from saturated fats for at least five days out of the week. Mono and poly unsaturated fats are good.

55% - Carbs

25% - Fats

20% - Protein

Try to maintain that balance.

Knowing WHEN to eat,
is as important as knowing WHAT to eat.

Our #1 problem is figuring out when to eat. (Most people know what to eat. Fruits are good, junk foods are bad, etc) If you?re eating healthy but still not losing weight, it?s probably your timing that?s off. If you don?t eat at the right time, it matters very little whether you eat healthy or not?because the food gets transformed into fat anyway!

The #1 diet problem
Not eating when the body needs food,
and then over-eating when finally eating.

? so when do we eat?

The body?s daily energy use

Your body is constantly using energy, spiking its energy use during your workout.
Your diet should follow your energy use as closely as possible.

Bad diet plan of eating 3 big meals a day.

over-eating converts surplus nutrients to fat
fewer meals leaves you hungry & weak in between meals
starving often leads to more over-eating
One of the biggest diet mistakes is waiting too long in between meals. If you wait till your stomach is grumbling, your body is already starving (decreased energy and recovery rate). Extreme hunger is usually countered with the next diet mistake, over-eating, which increases fat storage. One mistake usually leads to the other, putting your body in a vicious cycle of starvation (decreased metabolism) followed by periods of over-eating (fat gain).

Good diet plan of 6 meals a day

smaller meals keep you energized and full throughout the day
snacks keep you from starving during long workouts and in between meals
smaller meals keep your metabolism high while avoiding over-eating
Eating smaller meals more closely matches your body?s energy use. Your biggest meals are in the mornings and the one before your workout. Smaller meals keep you satisfied without putting extra calories into you.

Start eating before you get too hungry.
Stop eating before you get too full.

Biggest Meal in the Morning

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It?s the first supply of nutrients for your day and kickstarts your body?s metabolism. Once you have a full breakfast, you can make it through the rest of the day on smaller meals to avoid getting hungry. Don?t be silly and skip breakfast as part of your weight loss plan. This leaves you hungry and sends your body into starvation mode (decreasing metabolism), making it stingy for energy and storing everything you eat as fat. You You need to have energy to start your day; you need to eat good breakfast.

Breakfast AFTER Your Morning Run

If you do your runs in the morning, it?s best to eat breakfast after that. First off, running on a full stomach is a terrible idea. Secondly, running on an empty stomach helps you lose weight because your body will be burning off stored fat instead of the food you ate that day. It?s not necessary to do your runs in the morning, but the common belief is that it burns off fat stored from the previous night and energizes you for the day.

Aside from breakfast, the workout meal is the second and only other big meal on your training day

iSaYughh

Starter
Most diets aren?t about action; they?re about thoughts.
You spend mad time thinking about not having food.
Either you follow your diet or you don?t. It?s all or nothing.

If only you had the willpower to step away from the mayonnaise. If only you could stop after four Pringles. If only you had the power, the strength, the discipline, the cojones, the energy, the drive, the motivation to control your waist, then you?d finally have the body you want. You?ve placed all the responsibility for dietary success or failure on your little 3-pound brain.

But you can?t defeat nature.
Truth is, your body is built for eating. It?s full of hormones and neurotransmitters whose jobs roughly translate into "pass the pound cake."

example:
Overeating is like drug addiction. Studies show that obese people have reward centers in their brain similar to the reward centers of drug addicts.
Stress eating is cyclical. When you eat to reduce stress, you activate the reward centers of your brain. When the feel-good effects wear off, you reach again for the thing that made you feel relaxed: food.
Heavy people respond differently to certain foods. For example, in heavy people, the parietal region of the brain -- the control center for the tongue, lips, and mouth -- is activated by sugar. In skinny people, it isn?t.

To expect that your will or your fortitude can override chemical messages like these is the equivalent of seeing my ex override being an attention whore.

To get on the road to waist management and stay there, you have to first strip away the guilt that comes with eating, the guilt that comes with diets, and the guilt that comes with occasionally enjoying foods that aren?t at the platinum level on healthy-eating charts.

And you have to start listening to your body and responding intelligently to your cravings and your emotions. You have to train your brain to stop obsessing about eating right.

Over time, you?ll learn what your body is saying and why, and you?ll learn how to eat right to manage those cravings. Because the unrecognized truth about dieting is that when you stop overthinking, you?ll stop overeating.

QuotedForGenius.

That's a premium 'article' on nutrition and diet right there.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Metro, I need some help.

Here's my situation.

I've really let myself go in the past 2 years or so. I'm about 6'1, 225 pounds, but most of it is in fat.

Honestly I seldom exercise and I truly don't know where to start. I want to lose most of this fat and gain quite a bit back in muscle, but considering muscle weighs more than fat, I don't know how much progress I will actually see if I work on both at the same time.

I'm 17 right now so I know this is a pretty easy time to lose weight compared to much later on in your life and I need a good place to start and a good system to implement.

I guess I also need help on my diet too.

If you need me to get into specifics about my diet I'll be glad to. I don't think it's all that bad.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I somehow have dropped a few pounds in the last few weeks even though I work out every day. Why? I even do a little more than I have the last several months.

KingCharles34

All Star
I somehow have dropped a few pounds in the last few weeks even though I work out every day. Why? I even do a little more than I have the last several months.

Im not an expert here but u might not be eating enough. And in alotta ways, its too your benefit to be stronger at a lighter weight. Its a huge advantage in sports if your built compact. Im 5'10 and a half, 147 but i look alot stronger then my weight would indicate. Some would instantly think i must be real frail. I've been this weight for a while and i work out every day too, doing squats, chin ups, sit ups, bicep curls (45 pounds, several sets of 6 and 8 until i lift the weights 50 times), pull ups, perfect pushup, pushup with a backpack on that has weights, wide and close, etc. In the summertime i rollerblade, run through the mountains like Im Steph Marbury, play basketball, bike ride. And no matter what i do my weight stays roughly the same. I dont really have a big appetite, maybe your like me but i think sometimes people like me and you need to forget about weight. If we're getting stronger progressively and more athletic, thats whats really good.

And I think I've seen Metrocard say stay away from weights, i shoulda took your advice fam. I only curl the 45 pound weights once a week now, i was starting to get bad elbow and forearm pain. They feel much better now, i used to lift them 3 times a week but now on the other 2 days i do pull ups (which i think means chin ups underhanded, right?) to work my biceps. I would wait for Metro's response but hopefully i gave something thats somewhat accurate to hold u over fam.

*edit*

Just read the previous page, RJ i see your exactly my height but 10 pounds lighter. I dont know how you were 120 at one point, the lightest i ever was since i was this tall was 132 when I was 18. The heaviest I ever was is 161. Not sure how it happened, i didnt seem to be overweight or anything at the time. I got on meds and dropped down to 141. Then i got off the meds, only gained 6 out of 20 pounds back but i vow that im far stronger at 147 then i was at 161. You'll get there bro

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Im not an expert here but u might not be eating enough. And in alotta ways, its too your benefit to be stronger at a lighter weight. Its a huge advantage in sports if your built compact. Im 5'10 and a half, 147 but i look alot stronger then my weight would indicate. Some would instantly think i must be real frail. I've been this weight for a while and i work out every day too, doing squats, chin ups, sit ups, bicep curls (45 pounds, several sets of 6 and 8 until i lift the weights 50 times), pull ups, perfect pushup, pushup with a backpack on that has weights, wide and close, etc. In the summertime i rollerblade, run through the mountains like Im Steph Marbury, play basketball, bike ride. And no matter what i do my weight stays roughly the same. I dont really have a big appetite, maybe your like me but i think sometimes people like me and you need to forget about weight. If we're getting stronger progressively and more athletic, thats whats really good.

And I think I've seen Metrocard say stay away from weights, i shoulda took your advice fam. I only curl the 45 pound weights once a week now, i was starting to get bad elbow and forearm pain. They feel much better now, i used to lift them 3 times a week but now on the other 2 days i do pull ups (which i think means chin ups underhanded, right?) to work my biceps. I would wait for Metro's response but hopefully i gave something thats somewhat accurate to hold u over fam.

*edit*

Just read the previous page, RJ i see your exactly my height but 10 pounds lighter. I dont know how you were 120 at one point, the lightest i ever was since i was this tall was 132 when I was 18. The heaviest I ever was is 161. Not sure how it happened, i didnt seem to be overweight or anything at the time. I got on meds and dropped down to 141. Then i got off the meds, only gained 6 out of 20 pounds back but i vow that im far stronger at 147 then i was at 161. You'll get there bro
Yeah, I need to eat more, sometimes I don't get enough time before school because I need to catch the bus. I should at least get breakfast bars. Might do that tomorrow. Yesterday I was 130, and recently I was 135.

Even recently though, I was eating a solid amount of food, and drinking protein shakes (only one pack of four, so only four straight days of them), and I was still losing. I bought them every week, but I don't have the money for them. No money also means no gym, my goal goes further than being in good shape. I am going for physique.

You're doing more than me. I'd love to do pull-ups and chin-ups, but the thing I have for that doesn't fit anywhere in my apartment, and it's an old apartment, so I don't want to risk anything. I just use it for dips now. I want to see if there's one in my school, first I gotta get a doctor's note so I can use the gym. Why not? It's free. Could do other things there too. Every other day I do push-ups, dips, a couple of forearm exercises with a chair (my forearms have not seemingly changed at all, aside from it not being difficult to do the exercises after a small amount of reps, which it was early on), three sets of squats while holding a ladder (12,16, then push myself further every time on the third set. I had to go easy a couple of weeks or so because my head was throbbing in pain after), another exercise with the ladder (raising it up then lowering it a bunch of times), some other stuff, then I use a tensolator my dad got from the 70s or close to than, do sit-ups and crunches, and finish off my workout with a cardio routine that lasts about nine minutes. I need to switch up the order again, maybe that will help me.

The other every other days I jog a little under thirty minutes. I jog around the lake, roads that are a little deep (not long roads), do a few jumps over some sort of railings in a parking lot, and finish it off by running up to the top of my apartment building. Recently I jogged up the huge road by me after getting off my bus from school after jogging a few minutes. It's tough, but I keep Bruce Lee in my head. It's worth finishing. First time I did it, which was my first day on my journey of working out, I saw stars and I was dizzy. I've done good, far from great, which I want to be.

Thanks for the response, man. I might have to eat some more fattening food. My metabolism doesn't play.

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
No problem fam

Sounds like you got a good routine, it sounds like your creative with some of the exercises you do. Im the same way, I just keep tweaking my routine to slowly make it tougher. Another thing u can do depending on the type of bed you have (no homo) is do pushups with it. Thats some prison sh*t right there, and i sorta know what u mean about that perfect pull up thing. Thats what i use, it only fits on my front door but no other doors. I have bad blisters from doing it, i copped some weight lifting gloves but they havent helped. That things also good for pushups. Theres 3 different kinds of pushups you can do with it. Wide, close, or the ones with your hands vertical. Or you can put your feet on a chair, thats what i do with the perfect pushup. And u can wear a backpack with some weight in it, I got two 7.5 pound weights and my books in mine so im guessing its about almost 25 pounds. Dips are real good too, I use the perfect chinup for that also. I put my feet on a chair when im doing them. I just thought of a place you can do chinups, at a park. I've done them before on the monkey bars.

Im not sure but i think too much cardio is bad when your trying to gain weight or get stronger. I've heard some people say u shouldnt do it more then once a week. I havent done any cardio at all this winter, letting my stamina go but as soon as Aprils here ill be back at it. I wanna give myself another month without it. But it sounds like your on the right track and your getting there, I think one of the keys is to continue to tweak your workout to make it more difficult and your doing that. Once Metro comes around here he'll drop some stuff that can help both of us, he dropped some knowledge on the previous page too

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
No problem fam

Sounds like you got a good routine, it sounds like your creative with some of the exercises you do. Im the same way, I just keep tweaking my routine to slowly make it tougher. Another thing u can do depending on the type of bed you have (no homo) is do pushups with it. Thats some prison sh*t right there, and i sorta know what u mean about that perfect pull up thing. Thats what i use, it only fits on my front door but no other doors. I have bad blisters from doing it, i copped some weight lifting gloves but they havent helped. That things also good for pushups. Theres 3 different kinds of pushups you can do with it. Wide, close, or the ones with your hands vertical. Or you can put your feet on a chair, thats what i do with the perfect pushup. And u can wear a backpack with some weight in it, I got two 7.5 pound weights and my books in mine so im guessing its about almost 25 pounds. Dips are real good too, I use the perfect chinup for that also. I put my feet on a chair when im doing them. I just thought of a place you can do chinups, at a park. I've done them before on the monkey bars.

Im not sure but i think too much cardio is bad when your trying to gain weight or get stronger. I've heard some people say u shouldnt do it more then once a week. I havent done any cardio at all this winter, letting my stamina go but as soon as Aprils here ill be back at it. I wanna give myself another month without it. But it sounds like your on the right track and your getting there, I think one of the keys is to continue to tweak your workout to make it more difficult and your doing that. Once Metro comes around here he'll drop some stuff that can help both of us, he dropped some knowledge on the previous page too
Good ideas with the backpack. I actually thought of Marbury running up steps lately with a backpack, I think maybe while I was jogging.

Regular push-ups in bed? Does that do something different? Other push-ups I do is finger push-ups (I haven't gone down much yet) and fist push-ups. Fist push-ups can be very tough on your body, but I also do them after my regular push-ups later on, so maybe that's why.

I use to use the arm of the coach for push-ups using the Iron Gym (I'll try to do my big set of push-ups only on that the next time. Haven't used it for push-ups in a while). I use the arm of the coach for dips with the Iron Gym. My feet go pretty high.

Yeah I was wondering if I was doing too much cardio. Also maybe doing a lot of reps with squats and not eating more is what's making me lose.

I actually started working out in the summer because I was thinking about Derrick Rose and I want to be fast. I want to be ripped and be very explosive. A lot of people have great cardio while being ripped so we'll see what metro has to say about that.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Metro, I need some help.

Here's my situation.

I've really let myself go in the past 2 years or so. I'm about 6'1, 225 pounds, but most of it is in fat.

Honestly I seldom exercise and I truly don't know where to start. I want to lose most of this fat and gain quite a bit back in muscle, but considering muscle weighs more than fat, I don't know how much progress I will actually see if I work on both at the same time.

I'm 17 right now so I know this is a pretty easy time to lose weight compared to much later on in your life and I need a good place to start and a good system to implement.

I guess I also need help on my diet too.

If you need me to get into specifics about my diet I'll be glad to. I don't think it's all that bad.

Read this

You need to eat everything.

Carb, protein, fats ? they?re all essential to your body; the key is moderation.
You need to eat at the right time.

Don?t starve when your body needs energy, and don?t over-eat when you have enough. Timing your meals allow you to stay full on less food.
Your diet should fit your needs.

Diets are not one-size-fits-all. Everyone?s bodies, lifestyles, diets, and dieting goals are different. A weight loss diet for one person might lead to weight gain for another.
Healthy dieting requires:
TIMING (of meals)
VARIETY (of foods)
BALANCE (of nutrients)
MODERATION (of portions)

Meat - Stick to white meat. It is easier for your body to digest, processes faster through your body, and doesn?t sit around in your stomach making you sluggish. Examples of white meat are chicken, turkey, and fish. Funny how white meat happens to be lean animals that can fly or move quickly? Red meat is the stuff you try to avoid if you can ? which is beef or pork. Maybe it?s because our cows and pigs are fed crap that it makes their meat less healthy for the body.

Proteins - Besides meat, eggs, tuna, greek yogurt, beef jerky and almond or soy milk are an excellent source of pure protein.

Fruits and Vegetables ? Everybody needs vitamins, this is a requirement to be a healthy person in general. Eat a wide variety of them. Remember the more colorful the better. Broccoli, Spinach, Blueberries, Apples, Oranges, Cherries, Carrots.

Liquids - Water, water, water! One gallon a day is minimum for everybody in general. Two to three gallons is a must if you workout hard and/or live in a hot state. Again, this is a minimum, if you can drink more, do it. Stay the hell away from alcohol, it will slow you down, fatten you up, and put you in more situations where you are likely to be straying away from the healthy boxer?s lifestyle!

Fats - Honestly, this has more to do with your genetic makeup than anything. If you have a body that builds up fat easily, stay away from saturated fats for at least five days out of the week. Mono and poly unsaturated fats are good.

55% - Carbs

25% - Fats

20% - Protein

Try to maintain that balance.

Knowing WHEN to eat,
is as important as knowing WHAT to eat.

Our #1 problem is figuring out when to eat. (Most people know what to eat. Fruits are good, junk foods are bad, etc) If you?re eating healthy but still not losing weight, it?s probably your timing that?s off. If you don?t eat at the right time, it matters very little whether you eat healthy or not?because the food gets transformed into fat anyway!

The #1 diet problem
Not eating when the body needs food,
and then over-eating when finally eating.

? so when do we eat?

The body?s daily energy use

Your body is constantly using energy, spiking its energy use during your workout.
Your diet should follow your energy use as closely as possible.

Bad diet plan of eating 3 big meals a day.

over-eating converts surplus nutrients to fat
fewer meals leaves you hungry & weak in between meals
starving often leads to more over-eating
One of the biggest diet mistakes is waiting too long in between meals. If you wait till your stomach is grumbling, your body is already starving (decreased energy and recovery rate). Extreme hunger is usually countered with the next diet mistake, over-eating, which increases fat storage. One mistake usually leads to the other, putting your body in a vicious cycle of starvation (decreased metabolism) followed by periods of over-eating (fat gain).

Good diet plan of 6 meals a day

smaller meals keep you energized and full throughout the day
snacks keep you from starving during long workouts and in between meals
smaller meals keep your metabolism high while avoiding over-eating
Eating smaller meals more closely matches your body?s energy use. Your biggest meals are in the mornings and the one before your workout. Smaller meals keep you satisfied without putting extra calories into you.

Start eating before you get too hungry.
Stop eating before you get too full.

Biggest Meal in the Morning

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It?s the first supply of nutrients for your day and kickstarts your body?s metabolism. Once you have a full breakfast, you can make it through the rest of the day on smaller meals to avoid getting hungry. Don?t be silly and skip breakfast as part of your weight loss plan. This leaves you hungry and sends your body into starvation mode (decreasing metabolism), making it stingy for energy and storing everything you eat as fat. You You need to have energy to start your day; you need to eat good breakfast.

Breakfast AFTER Your Morning Run

If you do your runs in the morning, it?s best to eat breakfast after that. First off, running on a full stomach is a terrible idea. Secondly, running on an empty stomach helps you lose weight because your body will be burning off stored fat instead of the food you ate that day. It?s not necessary to do your runs in the morning, but the common belief is that it burns off fat stored from the previous night and energizes you for the day.

Aside from breakfast, the workout meal is the second and only other big meal on your training day

1. No sugar
2. No saturated fat
3. Cut the bread out of your diet
4. Don't combine foods (burgers, sandwiches, etc)
5. Eat things seperate, for an example: a can of tuna
6. Think before you eat. Ask yourself why? Are you really hungry?
7. Take it as a challenge and be proud of yourself for taking care of your body.
8. Motivate yourself. You have a photoshoot of your body that will be posted on facebook in two weeks. What are you going to do about it?

KingCharles34

All Star
Good ideas with the backpack. I actually thought of Marbury running up steps lately with a backpack, I think maybe while I was jogging.

Regular push-ups in bed? Does that do something different? Other push-ups I do is finger push-ups (I haven't gone down much yet) and fist push-ups. Fist push-ups can be very tough on your body, but I also do them after my regular push-ups later on, so maybe that's why.

I use to use the arm of the coach for push-ups using the Iron Gym (I'll try to do my big set of push-ups only on that the next time. Haven't used it for push-ups in a while). I use the arm of the coach for dips with the Iron Gym. My feet go pretty high.

Yeah I was wondering if I was doing too much cardio. Also maybe doing a lot of reps with squats and not eating more is what's making me lose.

I actually started working out in the summer because I was thinking about Derrick Rose and I want to be fast. I want to be ripped and be very explosive. A lot of people have great cardio while being ripped so we'll see what metro has to say about that.

My bad, i meant to say bench pressing your bed, not doing pushups on it. U actually have to get under the end of your bed and then you can bench your bed but depending on how much room u have to slide under your bed, this can be very tough to do. I have to lift my bed, slide myself under while im still lifting it, and then bench it. It'd help if i had another person to hold my bed while im sliding under it....HA! I just figured out what i can do, I can shove something under my bed to prop it up so i can slide right under it.

Thats a great idea to use your couch, its probably higher up them most chairs. I might have to swagger jack that idea from you bro. And those types of pushups are hard, its hard to see gains with them but they are effective. Im finding that these pushups with a backpack on are making alotta my other exercises easier for me.

I dont even do that many squats because i have a lower back problem, It sounds like your doing a good amount though. Im not sure how much most ladders weigh but i do 20 without any weight. Then i do 20 more with 15 pounds, then 12 with 45 pounds, then another 12 with 45 pounds. I just started doing squats not too long ago so Im not trying to kill myself with them still but what I'm doing has been effective, my legs are much stronger then they were.

What i dont get is how people in the army do all that running but still get stronger. Maybe that cardio is bad for strength training argument is a false theory. I believe that if we both continue to put in work and tweak our routine's, we'll be Bruce Lee status before we know it. I watched a documentary on him recently and it was very motivating, Im about to train myself to be a much better kicker this summer. I can fight well with my hands but i wouldnt even think to kick someone in a fight at this point.

I just skimmed through Metro's quote, I wanna attempt that 6 meals a day plan. And i think its time for me to give up red meat too, I started eating tunafish in the past year. Greek Yogurt...thats another good idea. Eggs for breakfast...I dont really like eggs but im gonna give them another try. So much of it is discipline and effort

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
My bad, i meant to say bench pressing your bed, not doing pushups on it. U actually have to get under the end of your bed and then you can bench your bed but depending on how much room u have to slide under your bed, this can be very tough to do. I have to lift my bed, slide myself under while im still lifting it, and then bench it. It'd help if i had another person to hold my bed while im sliding under it....HA! I just figured out what i can do, I can shove something under my bed to prop it up so i can slide right under it.

Thats a great idea to use your couch, its probably higher up them most chairs. I might have to swagger jack that idea from you bro. And those types of pushups are hard, its hard to see gains with them but they are effective. Im finding that these pushups with a backpack on are making alotta my other exercises easier for me.

I dont even do that many squats because i have a lower back problem, It sounds like your doing a good amount though. Im not sure how much most ladders weigh but i do 20 without any weight. Then i do 20 more with 15 pounds, then 12 with 45 pounds, then another 12 with 45 pounds. I just started doing squats not too long ago so Im not trying to kill myself with them still but what I'm doing has been effective, my legs are much stronger then they were.

What i dont get is how people in the army do all that running but still get stronger. Maybe that cardio is bad for strength training argument is a false theory. I believe that if we both continue to put in work and tweak our routine's, we'll be Bruce Lee status before we know it. I watched a documentary on him recently and it was very motivating, Im about to train myself to be a much better kicker this summer. I can fight well with my hands but i wouldnt even think to kick someone in a fight at this point.

I just skimmed through Metro's quote, I wanna attempt that 6 meals a day plan. And i think its time for me to give up red meat too, I started eating tunafish in the past year. Greek Yogurt...thats another good idea. Eggs for breakfast...I dont really like eggs but im gonna give them another try. So much of it is discipline and effort
Oh haha. I can't do that, I sleep on a bunk bed.

Squats helped my knees and legs a lot. I was bothered by them sometimes and now I'm good (well, my legs feel tired now, but that could because I've been doing more).

Bruce Lee jogged thirty minutes minutes every day (except maybe on Sundays). I read in a book about him a few months ago that one of the older guys that he was training, who I think was his friend, the guy said that Bruce Lee made him jog six miles, at one point in that jog he told Bruce Lee that he felt like he was gonna have a heart attack and die because of how long he was jogging, then Bruce Lee said, "Then die", which made me laugh, and also inspired me. Lee was rumored to have done five-hundred pull-ups in one set. I wouldn't be surprised.

I've been wanting to do the six meals a day thing, but it's hard because of money and time, mainly money. Time can be fixed when motivated.

I haven't been into my exercises lately. In fact I dread it a lot. It's hard to be into it when basically doing the same things. I'm gonna be pumped once I get to a gym and get a personal trainer.

p0nder

Starter
RJ: Watch out for a lot of PT's. many of them are pretty bogus. Some are legit though and will put in the time to individualize your program, use your schedule, show you proper form, give you good advice etc. shop around.

I've been hitting the gym pretty regularly. I lift 3 days of the week, do at least 30 mins of cardio every day and play ball at least twice a week. I've been cutting down body fat % pretty steadily, tho my weight stays pretty much the same. I've dropped from 270lbs down to 245 but I've been steady at 245 for a few months. My body fat % went from over 35% to about 20% while I've been doing this. My basketball game has greatly improved during that time as well as pretty much all other aspect of my lifestyle have improved as well.

My diet has been the biggest change though. As metro has mentioned, eat clean, healthy items. I snack on cans of tuna, low-fat cheese, pickles, broccoli salad, etc. Breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal with some protein powder mixed in (proatmeal!) this gives me plenty of carbs to fuel my workout and a protein boost to help with recovery. Dinner is usually some kind of white meat (chicken usually) with a healthy serving of veggies (1-2 cups of mixed stuff) and a very small amount of starchy carbs (just cause hash browns/fries are delicious).

I think my issue has been snacking and eating out though. So many times I'll be invited out to a party and eat like 4 slices of pizza and have 2nds on the birthday cake. Alcohol consumption also gets me sometimes. a few beer and mixed drinks can add up quickly. I've recently switched to diet beer and only mix my drinks with diet pop now so that helps, but still, 6-10 diet beer adds up very fast.

Right now i'm trying to drop that BF% down to about 14% and increase my vertical jump. I also think if i dropped my weight down to about 220 my ball game is gonna get much better because i'll be able to move around the court better. Of course I also play the low post so it'll be harder to bang in the paint but the increase in my vert and athleticism will help me get more boards and help my team get more wins.

I'm starting this weight lifting/pylometric program on monday to help with my vertical: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drsquat18.htm

It's different from what i've been doing and have some movements in their I haven't done before but my hope is that it will help with those fast twitch response fibers and increase my vertical while helping me cut more body fat points.

metrocard

Legend
Anyone does kettlebell training?

Its very INTENSE, results are amazing...but a lot of rest is require (takes a lot of energy from the body as appose to weight training)

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
RJ: Watch out for a lot of PT's. many of them are pretty bogus. Some are legit though and will put in the time to individualize your program, use your schedule, show you proper form, give you good advice etc. shop around.
Definitely. I heard they give personal training certificates out like candy.

I think I did 82 squats yesterday. Scary stuff, but I'm glad I do them.

p0nder

Starter
Metro: Kettleball training seems really intense and possibly more advanced then I'm ready for. I will be trying to incorporate some kettleball work in the future, but currently my gym doesn't have a lot of them and typically are lower weights.

iSaYughh

Starter
any of you use ab wheel and does it really work or just some gimmick

One of the best core workouts out there. Don't need some gimmick shit onto it, though.

Just get an ab wheel to perform ab wheel rollouts.

One of the toughest movements around for your core.

Almost everyone will have to start with doing the roll-outs on their knees (using a little pad can help) for full extension.

Doing a single, clean standing ab wheel rollout (legitimately) is a pretty impressive mark of fitness.

quiggle

Starter
cool thanks i saw one at target for $10 and thought its too good to be true. do they come in adjustable resistance and how quick does it take to outgrow it?

iSaYughh

Starter
cool thanks i saw one at target for $10 and thought its too good to be true. do they come in adjustable resistance and how quick does it take to outgrow it?

No different resistances, or anything like that. It will take a *long* ass time to outgrow it -- truthfully, you never will.

A legit standing wheel rollout (all way out and back) is really difficult. Being able to rep that shit is a real challenge.

Progressions will make it a timeless exercise, and part of a core workout.

You can do them 1handed. But unless you're a freak, that type of core strength (and overal body strength) would likely take multiple years to perform.

Wheel rollouts on knees
Standing
1handed on kneels
1handed standing rollouts

Those would be the progressions, along w/ just increasing or adding other challenging core/ab exercises to your program.