Fitness Thread

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Metro... Looking to start a running program... Trying to train to run a 10K marathon in July... Any help would be much appreciated man!

metrocard

Legend
metro, what are some good exercises to get a 6 pack and trim some fat around the stomach area?

Thats 70% of what you consume
Only beverage that should go in your body is water.
Stay away from high sugary food(anything above 14 g's of sugar)
Satured fats

Eat more fruits and vegetables.
Turkey/swiss sandwhiches, egg white roll with swiss cheese on a spniach wrap, tuna fish sandwich...lipton soup, all variety's of seafood. Chicken is awesome. Eat like a boxing champion.

Stay away from fried food.

If you can control this, you will be 70% there.

The rest is maintaing exercise cardio and body training.

Get a jumprope and learn how to, if you need help just ask me.
Do 20-30 minutes of high intensity intervals.
Basically
3 minute warm up

then
Cycle 1 is a 2 minutes a moderate pace(60% of your max effort), then 30 seconds at high intensity(90% of you max effort) pace, then 30 seconds at a low intensity pace.(40% of your max effort)
Cycle 2-6 is a 1 minute at moderate pace, 30 seconds at high intensity pace, then 30 seconds at a low intensity pace.

You could do this with jumproping, on the bike @ your local gym or on the treadmill by increasing the speed levels...or just running outside which can be difficult and I don't recommend.

Lastly, core exercises.

6 pack is more about cardio and what you eat. If you consume less calories than you burn, your body fat will decrease progressively.

Sometimes people ignore this, and think doing 300 crunches will turn their fat into a 6 pack.

The only thing that does is make their stomach bigger (adding more bulk and muscle along with the fat)...not really pretty.

I suggest for you to utilize the plank exercise. Followed by a series of bicycle crunches and various twisting exercises.

exrx.net has every exercise you need for the case.

http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html#anchor172895

Just don't over do it in one day, its all about maintain and making sure you do it atleast 5 times a week.

Core training is very important, alot of people like to work out their upper body and lower body, but what connects the two? The core. This should be trained every day.

metrocard

Legend
Metro... Looking to start a running program... Trying to train to run a 10K marathon in July... Any help would be much appreciated man!

I'm glad you asked this! I just took an ACSM workshop on marathon running, how to obtain goals in less and faster time.

This is the response I wrote to it.

I took an ACSM webinar, ?Big Goals ?Limited Time on 10-15-2009 conducted by Todd Galati. Poor goals plus poor plans equals sub optimal performance. Examples of these common training errors include ?just do it?, ?one size fits all? ?no pain no gain? ?weekend world champions? and the followers. Foundations of a successful training plans are setting the primary competition goals; the principle focus of the entire individualized program design, indentifying key sport specific skills and abilities; event distance/time, and weather, Assessing strengths and weaknesses; indentify strength and areas needing improvement to reach goals, training objectives for goal achievement; based on goals, sport specific skills and abilities and strengths and weaknesses and the work needed to create the desired response and last is training intensity markers; talk test, RPE, HR zones, HR at VT1, HR at VT2 and power.

To make sure goals are achievable, use SMART; Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-bound. Do you see any of these on your program? Cardiorespiratory and flexibility training 2 days per week is considered minimum for minimizing losses, 3 days per week is minimum to see gains, and over 4 days per week is improved performance.

Resistance training, 1 day per week is considered minimum to see losses, 2 days per week is minimum to see gains, 3-4 days per week will increase gains. For recovery, 48-72 hours between high intensity workouts is essential. A warm up and a cool down with all workouts is a part of total recovery. High intensity workouts should only be 2-3 per week to allow for adequate recovery and training adaptations.

Signs and symptoms of overtraining/overreaching prolonged increases to basal resting HR, inability to reach HR values during training, inability to sustain the required speed during high intensity workouts, failure to recover from training sessions, decreased performance, significant muscle soreness even after easy days, and inability to sleep or significantly disrupted sleep.
Personalized training plans using metabolic markers; during graded exercise test, the volume of air expired or minute ventilation increases linearly where significant ventilatory changes occur. VT1 is the first ventilatory threshold; metabolic marker associated with the first increase in blood lactate above that seen at rest. VT2 is second ventilatory threshold, associated with a rapid increase in blood lactate. The talk test can be used as a practical tool to assess if a client is exercising below VT1. As intensity exercise increases, more carbohydrates are utilized for fuel, O2 is needed and CO is produced. The ability to talk continuously becomes compromised, that is defined as the First Ventilatory Threshold (VT1). The sub maximal talk test assessment can be used to indentify HR at VT1. As exercise intensity continues to increase above BT1, fuel utilization from carbohydrates continues to increase and lactic acid accumulation rises. This causes an increase in CO2, resulting in greater need for CO2 removal that must be met by increased breathing rate. The decreased blood pH results in a strong stimulation of the respiratory system that brings about another marked increased in breathing rate defined as the Second Ventilatory Threshold. At VT2, speech is limited to single words. Exercise at VT2 can generally be sustained for only a matter of minutes due to the rapid increase in minute ventilation.

Trainers can determine a client?s HR at VT2 using the Field Test for VT2.
For endurance athletes, 80% of the time is below VT1, it works well for building the aerobic engine and recovery regeneration.

To improve anaerobic power; phosphagen energy pathways will improve to buffer large accumulations of blood lactate in order to improve short burst speed at near maximal efforts. Reassess HR at VT1 and VT2 for programming accuracy. Intensity should be at VT2 for 10 seconds, with 1 minute recovery. Total training volume should not progress more than 10% per week, with progression and regression of training variables based upon each individual client?s plans. Only clients with very specific high end speed goals will reach this phase.

I'll send you the slide show.

JayJ44

Starter
Thats 70% of what you consume
Only beverage that should go in your body is water.
Stay away from high sugary food(anything above 14 g's of sugar)
Satured fats

Eat more fruits and vegetables.
Turkey/swiss sandwhiches, egg white roll with swiss cheese on a spniach wrap, tuna fish sandwich...lipton soup, all variety's of seafood. Chicken is awesome. Eat like a boxing champion.

Stay away from fried food.

If you can control this, you will be 70% there.

The rest is maintaing exercise cardio and body training.

Get a jumprope and learn how to, if you need help just ask me.
Do 20-30 minutes of high intensity intervals.
Basically
3 minute warm up

then
Cycle 1 is a 2 minutes a moderate pace(60% of your max effort), then 30 seconds at high intensity(90% of you max effort) pace, then 30 seconds at a low intensity pace.(40% of your max effort)
Cycle 2-6 is a 1 minute at moderate pace, 30 seconds at high intensity pace, then 30 seconds at a low intensity pace.

You could do this with jumproping, on the bike @ your local gym or on the treadmill by increasing the speed levels...or just running outside which can be difficult and I don't recommend.

Lastly, core exercises.

6 pack is more about cardio and what you eat. If you consume less calories than you burn, your body fat will decrease progressively.

Sometimes people ignore this, and think doing 300 crunches will turn their fat into a 6 pack.

The only thing that does is make their stomach bigger (adding more bulk and muscle along with the fat)...not really pretty.

I suggest for you to utilize the plank exercise. Followed by a series of bicycle crunches and various twisting exercises.

exrx.net has every exercise you need for the case.

http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html#anchor172895

Just don't over do it in one day, its all about maintain and making sure you do it atleast 5 times a week.

Core training is very important, alot of people like to work out their upper body and lower body, but what connects the two? The core. This should be trained every day.

Thank you very much! You've been a big help.

iSaYughh

Starter
Cool thread. I compete in grappling tournaments and used to box competitively -- with my genetics I've always had to bust my ass in the gym and away from the gym researching.

Metro knows his shit.

p0nder

Starter
hmmm i guess i should get on this shit as i'm in need of some motivation/help with the fitness. Since finding out I'm gonna be a dad in about 6 months I want to drop some weight add some muscle and get back on the basketball court.

I'm 6'0', 244 lbs. I wear it well, cause i got broad shoulders but i know i was in a lot better shape when i was in the 200-210 range, hitting the gym and playing basketball, rugby and volleyball competitively. I want to get back to that level of fitness. I'm not afraid of the gym and I have a great work ethic about that part of my fitness.

My real trouble spot is my eating habits. I work full time (mon-fri, 9-5) and I'm a desk jockey so i get no activity here. I was buying shit from the store across the street, but I have started to bring some food in with me. I just don't know if i'm buying the right sort of thing, eating the right amounts etc. Also I have a bad tendency to eat late at night. I mean my eating habits are just terrible!

I'm also in need of a good starting work out split. I can get to the gym at least 3 times a week, probably more like 5. I know my way around the machines and free weights, but I just don't know how to put together an effective regimen. I have basic knowledge about it but I really need some direction. For example, what would be a good goal for cardio everyday?

Can you help me out?

crawford

Rookie
good stuff metrocard, do you have any leg exercises I could do to help my vertical leap I'm 5'4" but want to try dunking. good looking out on that.

metrocard

Legend
good stuff metrocard, do you have any leg exercises I could do to help my vertical leap I'm 5'4" but want to try dunking. good looking out on that.

Vertical Leap is all about power.

Strength + Speed.

Its all about glutes, hamstrings, and quads...and leaping technique.

Hit me up for cheap sessions to increase your vertical leap by 5 inches atleast.

I had to increase my vertical leap to 25 to pass a fitness test, did it in 2-4 weeks.

KingCharles34

All Star
good thread metro i was thinkin about startin one of these...i see alotta other forums with them

lmao @ snackin on nuts all day

maybe you can post some exercises to help kologero reduce his man boobs :lol:

Im 5'11 156pds....when i graduated high school i was only 132

I weigh more now but i still got really skinny arms...im tryin to build up my biceps. I workout everyday..i do 50-60 push ups, im doin chin ups now, liftin weights, and taking creatine. What excersises can I do to get bigger biceps?
wow...what a bitch I was then. I can do 100 push ups straight now, probably more. Im really 5' 10.5, and Im only 145 pounds now but im much stronger at 145 then I was at 156. I dont think i was chubby then, I dont remember ever being chubby...strange. I got the perfect pushup...shits done a job on my chest, neck, and shoulders.

crawford

Rookie
Vertical Leap is all about power.

Strength + Speed.

Its all about glutes, hamstrings, and quads...and leaping technique.

Hit me up for cheap sessions to increase your vertical leap by 5 inches atleast.

I had to increase my vertical leap to 25 to pass a fitness test, did it in 2-4 weeks.

thanks metrocard, how much are your sessions and how many times a week do they take?

metrocard

Legend
thanks metrocard, how much are your sessions and how many times a week do they take?

If you come to me (230th and Broadway) in the Bronx, its only 30
But if I go to you, it'll charge 35(basically a metrocard fee back and forth)

According to Dr. Sal Arria, president of NBFE, the average hourly rate for a trainer is $60-$70 per session.
However, trainers can charge as low as $25 per hour, while some high-powered trainers earn as much as $15,000 for a six-week session, depending on geographical location and their experience.

Basically, I'm giving you half of the average, and I'll throw in some discount sessions.

My availability is full time, just let me know asap so we can get started. I've implemented a lot of programs, helped a 54 year old female with breast cancer lose 10 pounds in two weeks...literally. Before I use to help college students bulk up and add mass, plus help their sports preformance(power and flexibility). Now I'm putting my services into that plus weight loss. Really going well so far for me, so let me know if you're ready to get pushed to your limits!

crawford

Rookie
thanks metrocard, what's the name of the fitness center at 230 and Broadway and what equipments is needed? I'm in Seaford, so it's a little of a distance away.

metrocard

Legend
Astral Fitness.

Basically, its a private gym.
You don't need anything.

I could get you a pass in there for free, plus the personal training sessions.
Solid.

metrocard

Legend
Food portions

teaspoon (5 ml)
about the size of the top half of your thumb

1 ounce (28 g)
approximately inch cube of cheese
volume of four stacked dice
slice of cheese is about the size of a 3 1/2 inch computer disk
chunk of cheese is about as thick as 2 dominoes
1 handful (palm) of nuts

2 ounces (57 g)
1 small chicken leg or thigh
1/2 cup of cottage cheese or tuna

3 ounces (85 g)
serving of meat is about the size of a deck of playing cards (3 exchanges)
1/2 of whole chicken breast
1 medium pork chop
1 small hamburger
unbreaded fish fillet

1/2 cup (118 ml)
fruit or vegetables can fit in the palm of your hand
about the volume of a tennis ball

1 cup (236 ml)
about the size of a woman's fist
breakfast cereal goes halfway up the side of a standard cereal bowl
broccoli is about the size of a light bulb
1 medium apple = A tennis ball

metrocard

Legend
exrx.net

Protein
individuals protein requirement increases in response to exercise, then changes in protein metabolism will become apparent. When the body is in a homeostatic state, protein synthesis is equal to protein degradation and the protein requirement of the body for tissue maintenance is satisfied. The most common way to detect changes in protein metabolism is to assess nitrogen balance of the body.

Positive nitrogen balance occurs when the total nitrogen excreted in the urine, feces and sweat is less than the total nitrogen ingested. Positive nitrogen balance must exist for new tissue to be synthesized. When dietary protein intake or total energy intake is inadequate to maintain tissues total nitrogen balance, negative nitrogen balance occurs and new tissue is unable to be synthesized. When the body is in nitrogen balance, protein and energy intake is sufficient to maintain tissue protein needs and the amounts of nitrogen entering and exiting the body are equal.

The results of nitrogen balance studies on endurance athletes indicates that these athletes have protein requirements that exceed the USRDA of 0.8 g/kg/day. A study found that endurance athletes (defined as training for at least 12 hours per week for at least 5 years) require 1.37 g/kg/day of protein to maintain nitrogen balance compared to 0.73 g/kg/day for sedentary individuals.

It appears that weight training can also lead to a daily protein requirement that exceeds the current USRDA. It has been found that 2.0 to 2.2 g/kg/day of protein was barely sufficient to maintain nitrogen balance during moderate intensity weight training. Furthermore, weightlifter's protein requirements increased proportionally to training intensity. Research has shown that 2.0 to 2.6 g/kg/day of protein are required for periods of very intense weight training, whereas protein intakes of 2.0 g/kg/day maintained a positive nitrogen balance during periods of less intense weight training.

It is clear that athletes need to consume more protein than the current USRDA for 0.8 g/kg/day in order to maintain nitrogen balance. Conversely, since the requirements of carbohydrates, and overall calories also increase with physical activity, the recommended proportion of calories from protein does not change significantly. With a calorie sufficient diet, protein requirement values needed to maintain positive nitrogen balance of both weight trained and endurance trained athletes constitutes intakes of 12% to 20% of total daily calories.

Average consumption for U.S. is 100 grams/day
Protein requirements
10% to 20% of the diet should be protein for sedentary individuals
40 grams/day for females
55-70 grams/day or 0.8 grams/kg body weight for males
Recommended protein intake for athletes or physically active people (Paul 1989)
Protein and carbohydrate requirements increase somewhat
more calories
ratio of protein to carbohydrates does not change
12% to 20% of the total calories
Increases slightly during an increase or change of training
Surprisingly protein requirements for endurance athletes are greater than weight trained athletes
Protein requirements increase when calories are insufficient

Weight Loss

Obese individuals eating a slightly higher protein diet (25% of calories from protein), lost significantly more weight and body fat than those eating a slightly lower protein diet (12% of calories from protein). (Skov, et. al., 1999)

Overweight women consuming a diet with a carbohydrate/protein ratio of 1.4 (125 g protein/day) lost more weight and body fat than those eating a ratio of 3.5 (68 g protein/day).

milchshake

Benchwarmer
good thread. IMOthere is no better exercise than pumping iron :teeth: you can do endurance, muscle, bodybuilding whatever you want. chinning bar is also killer. but there is no big result if you got wrong diet ... I change my diet many times to high protein also try some supplements but I can't get more weight, my body mass index shows that I balance on short weight line.

KBlack25

Starter
Interesting stuff about protein metro, I guess I never realized how truly valuable it was in a diet, and how much good it could do for you...

One question I have though is how do you feel about protein shakes, like the prepackaged stuff? I've read reviews online, mostly mixed reviews. Some say the stuff is valuable in a workout diet, others say the extra calories aren't worth it...I guess, what's the opinion of those in the field on the matter? Would you recommend them (and if so, any particular brand) or would you stay away altogether?

If you're gonna do any weight training, ya better get some whey isolate, Casseine for night time (digest slower)

Pro complex has two pretty good ones. They even have some in nutrition stores from grass fed cows, more natural, but lower protein per gram.

If you work 40 hrs a wk, very unlikely you will get the amount of protein needed to sustain muscle growth from food alone. Serious body builders take in at least a gram of protein per lbs of weight.