Fitness Thread

metrocard

Legend
198245_466313803395522_100000507204512_1743034_1878378502_n.jpg

1100 lbs.

I'm 159 right now btw, trying to get to 155lbs

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I was just gonna come on and post a thread on something like this, was gonna call it physical activity or whatever; wanted to see what other members do to stay fit.

So it's cool that I found this thread.

Metro, machines suck, you need the freeweights.

Gang, check out my power rack that I built last year. I hit a 1 rep max of 240 earlier this year before developing a stress fracture in my left shin (from basketball).

Now I'm starting squatting again.

hx6k9d.jpg

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Nice to know we got fighters on here...do some Muay Thai and a lil bit of MMA myself, no competing tho, maybe someday.

What do u think about cross fit workouts btw? just started it last week and been getting killed every week with the workouts. Just want to increase my overall athletic ability and I've heard good and bad about it.

p0nder

Starter
Metro: That's really impressive weight especially at your BW of 160ish. Even if it is in the leg press. I was talking to a guy today that does a ton of lifting, deadlifts 600lbs easy. He mentioned that he has switched from squats to leg press (+other movements) because of the stress on the joints and that he can increase the weight more safely on the leg press. I personally want to be squatting 1.5x my BW before I will move off of the squats though.

NYNYK: Cross fit is a really great cardio/resistance program. it's not going to get you bench pressing the most or increasing your size but as for athletic ability and transference to sports it's got a lot of supporters. Personally I find that crossfit tends to encourage the breakdown of form and the development of bad habits around those form cheats. But as far as a program to drop fat and increase cardiovascular ability crossfit will be great. There are possibly other programs out there that may be better for you. depends on goals, sports of choice, etc.

Orangeblobman: That's really fine workmanship on the power rack! If i could make one of those (and had the space for it) I would probably be able to cancel my gym membership. Good luck getting back into it.

Also guys, i participate in a site called fitocracy, where i log my workouts and get points/acheivments for breaking milestones in thegym and on the court. If you interested in joining up use this invite: http://ftcy.me/cZyiXs I can follow u and we can talk more about fitness there. Lots of helpful support there as well. I hope Rady doesn't mind me posting this here. I've found it a huge help to my fitness goals to have a support system like this.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
Orangeblobman: That's really fine workmanship on the power rack! If i could make one of those (and had the space for it) I would probably be able to cancel my gym membership. Good luck getting back into it.

Thanks, man! It's been about a year now since I built it and it went through its first winter, had a summer, now a summer again and it's really settling in, getting better with age.

Squats are going great I started pretty low but I'm doing them with much more intensity, much more control, keeping abs really tight. Progressing nicely should be around 200 soon.

I love the squat but it's becoming clear to me that my lift is the deadlift. I'm 6'3" with long arms, great deadlift build, so that's where I will put a lot of work in.

1.5bw squat is also my goal.

iSaYughh

Starter
I was just gonna come on and post a thread on something like this, was gonna call it physical activity or whatever; wanted to see what other members do to stay fit.

So it's cool that I found this thread.

Metro, machines suck, you need the freeweights.

Gang, check out my power rack that I built last year. I hit a 1 rep max of 240 earlier this year before developing a stress fracture in my left shin (from basketball).

Now I'm starting squatting again.

hx6k9d.jpg

That's a sweet power rack.

I'm not big on machines myself, but that's still an impressive amount of weight to move no matter how you slice it -- and plenty of superb athletes use machines, so.....all depends on the person, and situation. I'm not a hardliner anymore, tho I personally haven't touched a machine outside of a rower in over a year...but at end of day, results are results.

I did a 3-month bulking cycle that ended last month. Gallon of whole milk a day, zero cardio outside of some biking and walking in nyc, and only 3 workouts/week, with 5 exercises in total spread throughout them.

Went from 200 to 225, with a pretty good ratio of muscle to fat gain. Strength -- through the ****ing roof.

Squat
Deadlift
Pullups
Power cleans
Bench
Shoulder press

All sky rocketed.

Just switched back to more fight-based fitness, where I'll shed a ton of fat too.

Ross Enamait based training. Highly rec him, especially for athletes/boxers....but for anyone really. Great source of truth and information, and his programs are a lot of fun (crossfit style, but more flexibible and adaptive to your goals).

p0nder

Starter
Sorry if I missed it isayughh, but are you training for MMA/boxing? just curious. I trained in wing chun kung fu for years and later did Jeet Kune Do/BJJ/Wrestling/Boxing/Escrma stick fighting.

I've since moved away from hand-to-hand combat training as my philosophy on violence has changed drastically. As I've gotten older basketball training is where I place my focus.

I've moved to a more "bodybuilding friendly" routine, away from the SL 5x5 program. To build size you'll need more then 5 reps in a set. Always focus on the compound movements and anything extra you do should be with the idea of improving your big lifts.

Glad that we have a somewhat active fitness thread here as I suspect some Knicks fans might be more of the "armchair coach/GM" variety. lol.

metrocard

Legend
I don't use machines often, before I graduated with a bachelors in Exercise Science, I had to perfect a variety of olympic lifts before passing my Anaerobic Training class. This included preforming and instructing. Its easy to preform an exercise, but being able to teach the skill to someone else is a whole different thing. This is why most people who work out shouldn't be out given advice if they don't really understand the background of what they're doing.

The most I ever squat was 405 lbs X 5 reps, max a little higher than that.

I don't need to lift big though because I box. Squating is a vital exercise for me though because I do modeling for a calendering for extra cash.

My formula is 4 sets, with 15 seconds of rest cut in between. 12 reps each set with 40-55% of my 1RM in each rep. Last set I may put 3 plates on each side just to add the resistance.

I don't lift much, my ab routine is insane, planking for 10 minutes straight along. I work out my upper body with pull ups(200 a day, except on Weds and Sunday) and pushups (600 a day except on Monday and Friday).

I work a lot with kettlebells for strength gains also, but like I said before being an amateur boxer I do a lot of agility drills and work on the track, sprints, bounding, box jumps, I run atleast 5 miles a day by Yancey Park by Yankee stadium....I try to keep all my fitness components well conditioned, Strength endurance, Speed, Flexibility, Agility, Power(combo of speed and strength in certain time), Balance, Cardiovascular endurance, and my brain.

I feel like the brain is the most underrated muscle in terms in fitness.

Its improtant to always clear your mind before you work out and know how to get into the ZONE you're producing optimal arousal, I'll explain more about that later.

I have a fight coming up in the last week of July and I'll let you guys know how well that'll go.

BTW heres a simple tip for you guys.

Everything works.
No one does jumpjacks anymore because they seem so basic, they're really great at burning calories and losing up the shoulders and hips.

But like I said, everything works, just work out. People are too caught up these days with the new exercise trends and doing the coolest workouts or copying someone's program.

If you work out hard to 60-80% of your maximum, AEROBICALLY and ANAERBOICALLY, and if you rest 7 hours a day, results are automatic for everyone.

5 days a week is all thats needed. 7 days in a week is just not enough time for your body to recover.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
5 days a week is way too much for most people. You are probably genetically atypical in that you can gain muscle by just looking at weight haha.

2 days, 3 tops is what will give the best results for regular guys lifting heavy weights.

I'm on a truncated routine now where I squat bench and row one day, second day I deadlift, overhead press and bang some pull ups out.

iSaYughh

Starter
Working out 5 days/week is fine for the vast majority of people who aren't obese or severely weak/unconditioned.

It just depends on the intensity of the sessions, and what you are doing.

Sure, only well trained athletes can train 5x/week with intensity, including boxing etc.

But 2 to 3 dedicated strength sessions per week, along with several cardio (bike ride, tennis, eg) or metabolic conditioning routines are fine for people.

Of course, diet and rest are key. And everybody is different.

It also depends on your goals. My best all-around range of fitness, was when I was just training 3x/week, and doing zero cardio (except for walking and casual biking).

I've also trained 4 to 5x/week, including multiples in a given day.

Metro said the absolute best and most true thing tho: just ****ing train, train hard and with intensity (for whatever level of fitness you might be), and be consistent n logical with your goals.

It will all come together from there.

iSaYughh

Starter
Sorry if I missed it isayughh, but are you training for MMA/boxing? just curious. I trained in wing chun kung fu for years and later did Jeet Kune Do/BJJ/Wrestling/Boxing/Escrma stick fighting.

I've since moved away from hand-to-hand combat training as my philosophy on violence has changed drastically. As I've gotten older basketball training is where I place my focus.

I've moved to a more "bodybuilding friendly" routine, away from the SL 5x5 program. To build size you'll need more then 5 reps in a set. Always focus on the compound movements and anything extra you do should be with the idea of improving your big lifts.

Glad that we have a somewhat active fitness thread here as I suspect some Knicks fans might be more of the "armchair coach/GM" variety. lol.

Sup. I'm not currently, but I trained and competed in bjj for many years; and muay thai, also, which I've had 3 fights for. I have a couple years of pure boxing experience, and boxing is what I'd like to dedicate myself to if I get back into a sport.

Might check out Mendez Boxing soon in the city.

Right now, I'm just training for fitness. Bike a lot, am getting back into tennis a bit, and going to do a combat-style training regiment for the next 2months. I weigh 225 right now, and would like to get down to 205 by the end of it, and see whats what.

If I start boxing again, I'd look to cut even lower to 195 or so, and start focusing on making myself as big a beast as possible at a 195 walk around weight, and ultimately compete in 180 or whatever weight class is around there.

I hear you on not focusing on combat sports, though. It's not for everyone, and it can take a toll on you. Since I've stopped, I'm amazed at the stuff I've done, just in the training alone....The excellence of any quality fighter, amateur or pro, is beyond the comprehension of most people -- even most people in great shape and who go to the gym, but don't really train or compete.

Personally, I think you can gain plenty of size doing 5x5 style programs -- I gained the most muscle mass in my life, over a couple short months, doing a basic 5x5, 3x/week, and drinking a gallon of whole milk each day.

It's really about your diet, and like you said compound lifts are good, and going extremely hard in the gym, and then making sure you recover -- if your recovery sucks, even with a good diet and going hard in the gym, you might not see much.

In theory, I would agree w you that a "body building" style program is best for gaining muscle; however, I don't believe it is mutually exclusive.

If you like that style, though, by all means, and it is the "best" for muscle. :)

I did wing chun, too, btw, way back when. Not my thing, but pretty damn cool ****.

edit -- on topic of body building.....at end of my 5x5 (squat, bench, power cleans, shoulder press, deadlift, weighted pullups) I deadlifted 605, with a 450 ass to grass squat; for the hell of it, I went to do some curls after my cycle, and handled 65lbs dumbbells curls with ease and measured over an inch on each bicep. Just fwiw :) And bc I think some people get too wrapped up in "body building", and lose sight of other areas and things that come into play. Though for many, body buiding is certainly a great option and if you enjoy it and like doing it, nothing better.

metrocard

Legend
5 days a week is way too much for most people. You are probably genetically atypical in that you can gain muscle by just looking at weight haha.

2 days, 3 tops is what will give the best results for regular guys lifting heavy weights.

That's pretty much like brushing your teeth 2-3 times a week.

The best results?
Are you sure about that?
Have you tried other training methods?
The best results in what? Strength and Size?
What about flexibility, breathe control, cardiovascular endurance, strength endurance, agility, balance, body composition, body fat%, core strength, and stability...you may very well be inferior in all these components.

The truth is, it takes more than 2-3 days to train these components.

Also important, whats your reason for exercise?

Ask yourself that.

Now ask yourself, why did the first man exercise? What is the original reason of exercise? Is that reason lost? When you go into a gym, it is hard to recognize what the true reason for physical training is. Everyone is so full of **** these days... modern training has lost its roots.
The truth is, the history of physical training, or working out, is based on WAR. Ancient warriors would train so they would be prepared to protect themselves, their families and their property from attack. Their training was not so much about looking better, but performing better. I think modern day exercisers should take this cue from Ancient Warriors.

397287_368556786504558_799027327_n.jpg

This guy was trained to KILL YOU.

You work out twice a week. The days you rest, sit on the couch and watch TV...theres someone out there training 4-5 days more than you in preparation to kill you as you rest.

If you were unfit, you didn't survive! That's how it was back in 1300 in Puerto Rico with Tainos, even in more accient times of the Greeks and the Chinese. Training, and getting the physical improvements from training, was not about looking good in spandex or taking your shirt off at the beach. Their motivation for training was nothing less than SURVIVAL.

Imagine workout out as if your life depended on it. I really mean that.

Forget about what the bodybuilding community tells you about training muscles. Exercise is really about movement. Two types of movement really... The movement of your own body AND the movement of objects.
I see you do your squats, various olympic lifts and pullups, that's GREAT. I love those exercises.

Bodyweight calisthenics are the best way to train your body to move in the way it most naturally moves. Every movement of the body can be trained and improved with bodyweight exercises. On the other hand, dumbbells or kettlebells are the best ways to train the body to move objects. Just like an Ancient Warrior, combining bodyweight and dumbbell workouts are the best way to build a strong, attractive and functional body.

I understand quality over quanity. Yes. I apply that to my fitness.
Sometimes less is NOT more. Sometimes less is just less.
People seem to spend a lot of time and energy trying to AVOID the one thing they often need more of which is time on task.

For example, when I start my boxing session; I shadowbox my life away in 5-6 rounds. That means I act like as if I'm fighting and giving it all my energy. By the time I spar, I'm so tired that can an old lady can beat me up with the ammount of energy I have. That's my secret. Because when I come back the next day, my body is prepared physically and mentality to do demage. Why? I trained my stamina and muscular endurance to a level that I raise the peak every time. Its doable, so why not do it?

I tell you what, the biggest complement I get in my gym is my foot and hand speed, time, swiftness but most important is my endurance.

I sparr 4 times a week.
Everyday I sparr 3 men, 3 rounds each for a total of 9 rounds.
I continue my workout after that, hitting the bag, hitting the pads with my training, speed bag, working under the rope, skipping rope, 250 pull ups, 600 push ups...whatever it may be, it's just for the reason I'm training for...these are simply workouts because theres fighter's in my gym who do more than I do and at a higher quality.

It's not just related to boxing, I use to be a strength and conditioning assistant to the Manhattan Jaspers, D1 basketball team in the MAAC. They do what you do in a week times 2 in a their monday workout routine. Theres a reason why they're D1 athletes, theres a reason why I'm an amatuer boxer, and theres a reason why you're blobman.

metrocard

Legend
Sup. I'm not currently, but I trained and competed in bjj for many years; and muay thai, also, which I've had 3 fights for. I have a couple years of pure boxing experience, and boxing is what I'd like to dedicate myself to if I get back into a sport.

Might check out Mendez Boxing soon in the city.

Right now, I'm just training for fitness. Bike a lot, am getting back into tennis a bit, and going to do a combat-style training regiment for the next 2months. I weigh 225 right now, and would like to get down to 205 by the end of it, and see whats what.

If I start boxing again, I'd look to cut even lower to 195 or so, and start focusing on making myself as big a beast as possible at a 195 walk around weight, and ultimately compete in 180 or whatever weight class is around there.

I hear you on not focusing on combat sports, though. It's not for everyone, and it can take a toll on you. Since I've stopped, I'm amazed at the stuff I've done, just in the training alone....The excellence of any quality fighter, amateur or pro, is beyond the comprehension of most people -- even most people in great shape and who go to the gym, but don't really train or compete.

Personally, I think you can gain plenty of size doing 5x5 style programs -- I gained the most muscle mass in my life, over a couple short months, doing a basic 5x5, 3x/week, and drinking a gallon of whole milk each day.

It's really about your diet, and like you said compound lifts are good, and going extremely hard in the gym, and then making sure you recover -- if your recovery sucks, even with a good diet and going hard in the gym, you might not see much.

In theory, I would agree w you that a "body building" style program is best for gaining muscle; however, I don't believe it is mutually exclusive.

If you like that style, though, by all means, and it is the "best" for muscle. :)

I did wing chun, too, btw, way back when. Not my thing, but pretty damn cool ****.

edit -- on topic of body building.....at end of my 5x5 (squat, bench, power cleans, shoulder press, deadlift, weighted pullups) I deadlifted 605, with a 450 ass to grass squat; for the hell of it, I went to do some curls after my cycle, and handled 65lbs dumbbells curls with ease and measured over an inch on each bicep. Just fwiw :) And bc I think some people get too wrapped up in "body building", and lose sight of other areas and things that come into play. Though for many, body buiding is certainly a great option and if you enjoy it and like doing it, nothing better.

Come to World Wide Boxing Gym in the Bronx.
Its only 120 for 3 months
Trainers are 25 a week.
I don't know what part of nyc you're in but if you're around the 4train check it out, its by Bedford Park/Lehman College.
When you start up, I'll let you sparr with me(I'm 160 lbs but I sparr people from 140 lbs to 190 lbs), I'll let you throw your punches and work your combos, I work with new people so they can get comfortable with being in the ring. It'll be a good experience if you want to get into the boxing and need someone to give you a helping hand.

Peace brother.

iSaYughh

Starter
Come to World Wide Boxing Gym in the Bronx.
Its only 120 for 3 months
Trainers are 25 a week.
I don't know what part of nyc you're in but if you're around the 4train check it out, its by Bedford Park/Lehman College.
When you start up, I'll let you sparr with me(I'm 160 lbs but I sparr people from 140 lbs to 190 lbs), I'll let you throw your punches and work your combos, I work with new people so they can get comfortable with being in the ring. It'll be a good experience if you want to get into the boxing and need someone to give you a helping hand.

Peace brother.

Yo. I actually most definitely will check out your gym, and take you up on your offer bro. That sounds ideal, and I appreciate it.

I'm around 10th st and there's a 4 pretty close by too, so work out well.

Membership + training sounds like a beast deal.

It's not easy finding a legit pure boxing gym that doesnt rape you in price and isn't some cardio-boxing place.

I'll for sure you hit up on here in PM next month or two when I can check it out n be able to sign up. :smokin:

orangeblobman

Rotation player
That's pretty much like brushing your teeth 2-3 times a week.

The best results?
Are you sure about that?
Have you tried other training methods?
The best results in what? Strength and Size?
What about flexibility, breathe control, cardiovascular endurance, strength endurance, agility, balance, body composition, body fat%, core strength, and stability...you may very well be inferior in all these components.

The truth is, it takes more than 2-3 days to train these components.

Also important, whats your reason for exercise?

I don't see it as exercise, it's just gaining strength. I want to be as strong as possible for my body.

Strength has a functional component outside of warfare. If you are strong, your life is better.

The 2-3 days lifting weights is more than enough for impressive development. I go by "progressive poundages in good form" and I go conservative to avoid injuries and get more out of my training in the long-term. The rest is just as important as the training.

CoolClyde

Yo. I actually most definitely will check out your gym, and take you up on your offer bro. That sounds ideal, and I appreciate it.

I'm around 10th st and there's a 4 pretty close by too, so work out well.

Membership + training sounds like a beast deal.

It's not easy finding a legit pure boxing gym that doesnt rape you in price and isn't some cardio-boxing place.

I'll for sure you hit up on here in PM next month or two when I can check it out n be able to sign up. :smokin:

I'd like to see Metrocard vs iSayUghh in the ring.
Metro, can KO members come to your fight to root you on?

i think next season it's due time for NYC KO members to get together for a game and/or eats at Clyde's Wine n Dine.

metrocard

Legend
Bulking_Up_Your_Brain.jpg

How Exercise Leads To A Better Brain.
For more than a decade, neuroscientists and physiologists have been gathering evidence of the beneficial relationship between exercise and brainpower ? and recent discoveries suggest that training may beat studying when it comes to building brainpower.

Using sophisticated technologies to examine the workings of individual neurons ? and the makeup of brain matter itself ? scientists have discovered that exercise can actually build a brain that resists physical shrinkage and while at the same time enhances cognitive flexibility.

In short: A team of researchers led by Justin S. Rhodes, a psychology professor at the Beckman Institute at the University of Illinois, gathered four groups of mice and set them into four distinct living arrangements. Group One lived in a world of sensual and gustatory plenty. Group Two had access to all of these pleasures, plus they had small disc-shaped running wheels in their cages. A third group?s cages held no embellishments, and received standard, dull kibble. The fourth group?s homes contained the running wheels but no other toys or treats.

After several months, Rhodes?s team examined his subjects? brain tissue ? and found that the toys and tastes, no matter how stimulating, had not improved the animals? brains.

?Only one thing had mattered,? Rhodes says, ?and that?s whether they had a running wheel.? Animals that exercised, whether or not they had any other enrichments in their cages, had healthier brains and performed significantly better on cognitive tests than the other mice.

Why would exercise build brainpower? In VERY short: The brain, like all muscles and organs, is a tissue, and its function declines with underuse and age ? and exercise can slow or even reverse its physical decay.

http://www.definitions.com/exercise-science/i-lift-therefore-i-think/

p0nder

Starter
Imagine workout out as if your life depended on it.

Metro! Sick motivation right there! I'm going to the gym in about an hour.

Also to OBM: 2 days is probably a bit light, even if you are doing HUGE volume workouts. That's 3 days rest between workouts. While rest is important you can do "active rest days" to decrease bodyfat% and get stronger. I'd say 3x a week is good for the beginner programs but as your strength and endurance goes up you can increase the # of days you workout.

Metro: i'm interested in your experience and knowledge. I wish I lived in NYC so I could pick your brain on the topic of fitness and nutrition in person. I'm currently dieting down from 230 to 200 in an attempt to look awesome for my wedding/honeymoon (September) But also to increase my vertical jump and my basketball skills/effectiveness/explosiveness. I'm not so much interested in "Bodybuilding" as I am athletic gains.

I've begun investigating various jump programs (http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/theultimatesplit.html) and The Vertical Jump Bible. Combining them with upper body workouts and progressive weight training to get into game shape for this upcoming basketball season (I'm a D3 player, play some D2 call up games).

The season starts in October so I'm hoping that by cutting to ~200 by then I will be more effective.

Is there a program you implemented for the D1 team that would be useful for me? Perhaps you can point me in the right direction or at least let me know if I'm on the right path with my choice of combining pylo and resistance training work.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I just read Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik and the secret of weight training was revealed in this book: THICK BAR work!!!!!

You're only as strong as your hands and forearms, the weakest link, and working with a thick bar will make your arms and hands very strong, so that you will handle huge weights and gain the slabs!

My goal is to be like one of the old-time strongmen.

Already my core is becoming so strong and getting the 'look'. It's a big difference between the guys that have awesome core strength and the guys who do not have this core.

But 2 days is MORE than ENOUGH if you're lifting HEAVY and HARD!!!! MORE than enough. You can become a MONSTERRRR by lifting 2 times a week for 30-60 minutes.