Fitness Thread

metrocard

Legend
Metro! Sick motivation right there! I'm going to the gym in about an hour.

Also to OBM: 2 days is probably a bit light, even if you are doing HUGE volume workouts. That's 3 days rest between workouts. While rest is important you can do "active rest days" to decrease bodyfat% and get stronger. I'd say 3x a week is good for the beginner programs but as your strength and endurance goes up you can increase the # of days you workout.

Metro: i'm interested in your experience and knowledge. I wish I lived in NYC so I could pick your brain on the topic of fitness and nutrition in person. I'm currently dieting down from 230 to 200 in an attempt to look awesome for my wedding/honeymoon (September) But also to increase my vertical jump and my basketball skills/effectiveness/explosiveness. I'm not so much interested in "Bodybuilding" as I am athletic gains.

I've begun investigating various jump programs (http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/theultimatesplit.html) and The Vertical Jump Bible. Combining them with upper body workouts and progressive weight training to get into game shape for this upcoming basketball season (I'm a D3 player, play some D2 call up games).

The season starts in October so I'm hoping that by cutting to ~200 by then I will be more effective.

Is there a program you implemented for the D1 team that would be useful for me? Perhaps you can point me in the right direction or at least let me know if I'm on the right path with my choice of combining pylo and resistance training work.

We're all slaves on a farm. We become free once we leave the farm. Exercise is a modecule of freedom, freeing your body from sedetary lifestyle that makes you easier to control. The more fit your body is the more fit your mind will be.

230lbs is possible. It seems you have the motivation. Hold on to that. Feel angry at yourself if you skip a day or don't do what you PLANNED to do. Get emotional about it, this matters to you. You WANT to lose 30 pounds and thats where you're going to get.

My friend was 250, got him to 180 lbs in a couple of months. Had a lot of ladies over him, problem was; he met a woman who loved to cook and feed him. He replaced his fitness training with sex and his healthful eating with his girlfriend's food. My friend went back to 250lbs. Never seem got back to the 180 area.

I'm going to give you a periodization program, free of charge of course. A periodization program is a cycle split program that keeps your progression going to maximal fitness levels; basically no plateu; more results for the energy you put in.

Plan for your weightloss:

Combination of high intensity interval training (HIIT) and long distance training. (LDT) 5 days a week

HIIT
Duration: 15 minutes
Intensity: Intervals: Start with a 2 minute warm up of walking. Followed by a 1 minute run(Moderate intensity) > 30 second sprint (High intensity) then a 30 walk (Low intensity)

For example:

I get on my treadmill; put it on 3.0 Incline and 4.0 speed for a 2 minute walk
My interval cycle consist of:
1 minute run at 8.0 speed and 3.0 incline
30 second sprint at 11.0 speed and 3.0 incline
30 second walk at 4.0 speed and 3.0 incline

If you're starting, you can adjust the intensity of the speed and incline to where you're most comfortable. For example. 3.0 = LOW 5.0 = MODERATE 7.0 = HIGH

Does that make sense?

LDT
Duration: 35 minutes
Intesntiy: 45-55% of your max

For example:
I run 5 miles under 35 minutes; but that's at 60-70% of my max.

Does that make sense? Ask if you have a thought.

Now you will go through a 12 week program divided into 3 levels. Which level try to adjust the intensity higher.

Week 1-4 (Level 1)

Monday - HIIT
Tuesday - LDT
Wendesday - LDT
Thursday - LDT
Friday - HIIT

Week 5-8 (Level 2)
Monday - LDT
Tuesday - HIIT
Wendesday - HIIT
Thursday - HIIT
Friday - LDT

Week 9-12 (Level 3)
Monday - HIIT
Tuesday - LDT
Wendesday - HIIT
Thursday - LDT
Friday - HIIT

Once you ever level 3, you should see great results. Level 3 is used to maintain your results and continuing maximizing your max, plateus suck so my goal here is to increase your range of fitness results.

That's the CARDIOVASULAR PROGRAM.

Right after these cardio workouts, do some weight lifting, push ups, pull ups, squat jumps, burpees, shadow boxing, hitting the bag, working with kettlebells.

I'll post some cool videos later on about those ANAEROBIC workouts that will build MUSCLE and break down fat in your body.

The more lean muscle mass you contain, the more fat you burn. Muscles are fat burning machines.

I have to head back to work, but I will come back and answer your questions. I may give you an additional program, but its good to start with the cardio program and do an hour of lifting and plyometrics after that atleast 4-5 times a week.

Peace.

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I ordered Fat Gripz yesterday, I can't wait to get them. Tomorrow scheduled delivery.

But I realize now the problem, I do not have good hand strength, so all the strength I built up on the rest of my body, I cannot use this strength without strong hands and forearms!

I'm going to do all my sets with the Fat Gripz now, but it will require lowering the weight significantly so that the arms and hands will catch up. After the hands catch up, forget it, I'm going to blast through the poundage.

Before I discovered thick-bar work, I couldn't put my finger on what was missing!

Now we know!!!

Look at this guy, 330 pounds overhead press with a bar that's 2 and 3/8" thick!!!

gorner2.jpg

That's the secret, it's the grip strength, and no better way than to use a thick bar!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THEY GET HERE, THIS IS LIKE A REVOLUTION,

orangeblobman

Rotation player
I should elaborate,

the standard Olympic bar has a handle that is 1" thick. The part where you grab the bar to lift, this is 1" in diameter. And this is easy to grip so your hands and forearms do not have to work so hard.

With a thick bar, you're gripping a bar that's over 2" thick!! It is obvious why this is so good!!

Popeye hands and arms!

p0nder

Starter
We're all slaves on a farm. We become free once we leave the farm. Exercise is a modecule of freedom, freeing your body from sedetary lifestyle that makes you easier to control. The more fit your body is the more fit your mind will be.

230lbs is possible. It seems you have the motivation. Hold on to that. Feel angry at yourself if you skip a day or don't do what you PLANNED to do. Get emotional about it, this matters to you. You WANT to lose 30 pounds and thats where you're going to get.

My friend was 250, got him to 180 lbs in a couple of months. Had a lot of ladies over him, problem was; he met a woman who loved to cook and feed him. He replaced his fitness training with sex and his healthful eating with his girlfriend's food. My friend went back to 250lbs. Never seem got back to the 180 area.

I'm going to give you a periodization program, free of charge of course. A periodization program is a cycle split program that keeps your progression going to maximal fitness levels; basically no plateu; more results for the energy you put in.

Plan for your weightloss:

Combination of high intensity interval training (HIIT) and long distance training. (LDT) 5 days a week

HIIT
Duration: 15 minutes
Intensity: Intervals: Start with a 2 minute warm up of walking. Followed by a 1 minute run(Moderate intensity) > 30 second sprint (High intensity) then a 30 walk (Low intensity)

For example:

I get on my treadmill; put it on 3.0 Incline and 4.0 speed for a 2 minute walk
My interval cycle consist of:
1 minute run at 8.0 speed and 3.0 incline
30 second sprint at 11.0 speed and 3.0 incline
30 second walk at 4.0 speed and 3.0 incline

If you're starting, you can adjust the intensity of the speed and incline to where you're most comfortable. For example. 3.0 = LOW 5.0 = MODERATE 7.0 = HIGH

Does that make sense?

LDT
Duration: 35 minutes
Intesntiy: 45-55% of your max

For example:
I run 5 miles under 35 minutes; but that's at 60-70% of my max.

Does that make sense? Ask if you have a thought.

Now you will go through a 12 week program divided into 3 levels. Which level try to adjust the intensity higher.

Week 1-4 (Level 1)

Monday - HIIT
Tuesday - LDT
Wendesday - LDT
Thursday - LDT
Friday - HIIT

Week 5-8 (Level 2)
Monday - LDT
Tuesday - HIIT
Wendesday - HIIT
Thursday - HIIT
Friday - LDT

Week 9-12 (Level 3)
Monday - HIIT
Tuesday - LDT
Wendesday - HIIT
Thursday - LDT
Friday - HIIT

Once you ever level 3, you should see great results. Level 3 is used to maintain your results and continuing maximizing your max, plateus suck so my goal here is to increase your range of fitness results.

That's the CARDIOVASULAR PROGRAM.

Right after these cardio workouts, do some weight lifting, push ups, pull ups, squat jumps, burpees, shadow boxing, hitting the bag, working with kettlebells.

I'll post some cool videos later on about those ANAEROBIC workouts that will build MUSCLE and break down fat in your body.

The more lean muscle mass you contain, the more fat you burn. Muscles are fat burning machines.

I have to head back to work, but I will come back and answer your questions. I may give you an additional program, but its good to start with the cardio program and do an hour of lifting and plyometrics after that atleast 4-5 times a week.

Peace.

Thanks for the Cardio Program! I think this will work great for me. I am very motivated to get my weight down and fitness levels up. No worries about me being like that other guy. I found the woman of my dreams already but she's a lousy cook (seriously, she burnt our daughters toast twice this morning). I do 90% of the cooking in our house. I mostly try to stick with good meat choices (chicken breast, Turkey, fish, lean cuts of pork and steak) and good carbohydrate sources like lettuce and spinach, veggies of all kinds, a small amount of oatmeal.

I think this will work great for me. I've been floundering around with my cardio. I had done some HIIT, using elliptical and the bike, and I did some "LDT" on the treadmill/outdoors. I may replace one LDT run with an LDT swim (if you think that's cool?) and maybe switch to a stationary bike for one HIIT session a week (keeping the same principals in mind of actually doing HIGH intenisty intervals). I mention this because I'd love to be able to run a "Sprint" triathalon comfortably/with a good time (somewhere in the 1hr+20 minute range). My focus though is still on basketball and getting better on the court.

Before I was only doing cardio training maybe 3 days a week maximum (more like 2 days and one would always be sub-optimal). While i'm not sold on the effects of extra cardio on weight loss/fatloss I know that having a healthy cardio system will allow me to get up and down the court faster and quicker, will ensure I'm not tired when I get in position and will allow me to get to my spots on the floor when I need to. I plan to implement this cardio routine starting on monday. I'm also going to supplement it with another 30-45 minute swim on saturday. (like you said it's all working).

Currently my weight lifting routine has been in a total flux as I've been attempting to incorporate plyometic work into the system. I was even considering dropping back to a very basic routine that looks like this:

Monday:
Deadlifts
Chin-ups

Tuesday:
Plyometrics

Wednesday:
Bench press
Push-ups

Friday:
Squats
Plyometrics

Let me know the kind of things you would have me work in there. I'm open to lots of suggestions and implementing things like jumpsquats, burpee's etc. I don't have access to kettleballs at the moment, but I have pretty much everything else I would need.

Thanks again for your time in putting it together! I look forward to showing off my progress (and who know's maybe online coaching/training could be a thing for you!)

p0nder

Starter
OBM: i've heard a lot on fitocracy about fat gripz and how they have helped some people get serious new PR's on their deadlifts. I have a grip strngth issue as well. My squats are almost equal to my DL's and i know it's because of my grip. (typically DL's are much higher then squats, especially for a relatively tall/long arm guy like myself (6'1").

orangeblobman

Rotation player
It's gripping the nation. You gotta realize guys at the turn of the last century, all they knew was the thick bar. It is this modern idea to lift with a thin, easy to grip bar. Switch everything to thick bar work and watch your arms and hands crush heads of enemies.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

iSaYughh

Starter
Fat grips are a worthy addition to a training program.

Fat grips are not essential, and aren't a "miracle". Sorry to say.

Nobody has some out of control strength, but weak hands and grip that negate it . :smokin:

The only ppl who do, are people who aren't really that strong (ie someone who just benched a lot and got real good at the bench).

When you train hard and right, your grip strenght and hand strength will invariably go up, in unison, as you progress.

When you lift and throw around heavier weight, your hands and grip get trained.

Surely, supremely strong hands and wrists are a plus -- especially if you are a fighter, for injury prevention purposes. But you can train your hands, grip, and wrists with a couple mini workouts throughout the week, and get great results.

You don't need a fat bar. I like fat bars, though, and probably will buy one soon. I feel I can lift more weight with them, as it increases my body-weight connection.

Same reason I train (and run) in a pair of Adidas Adipiures.

p0nder

Starter
Isayughh, i agree that grip strength goes up with lifting bigger weights but there seems to be some kind of a disconnect as I deadlifted 300 yesterday and my back isn't very sore. I feel like it I used straps/chalk i would be able to lift significantly more and get that "pump" but I don't want to get into using "crutches" for my lifting.

There are plenty of exercises to do to increase grip strength though, So i am going to start incorporating those to try and get my deadlifts up to snuff. I should be pulling closer to 400 based my my leverage and squat strength.

metrocard

Legend
p0nder Im going to get back to you with additional methods for your program, I just been caught up with new clients, a new work schedule and boxing training.

I don't think I'm ready for my fight on the 11th =[

What should I do ?

BTW, I measured at 7% body fat yesterday, trying to get it down to 5.

p0nder

Starter
Eat/sleep/breath the fight, break down any tape on the guy, barring that break down other classic fights in your weight division. Envision your win. close your eyes and visualize the fight as it's going to go down, round by round, blow by blow. imagine what you'll do in the corners, on the ropes, with your feet, with your jab, with your defense. Most importantly visualize how you are going to feel after you win this fight. Own that feeling. go into the ring with that feeling fresh in your head. You can't lose. You can only win. you must dominate and fight your fight. Game theory demands that you implement your game plan immediately and do not deviate. Believe that you will win and you WILL.

Go to 2-a-day training if you haven't already, eat like a ****ing BEAST (chicken breast all day....beef jerky for snacks). 5% is kind of low for a lot of athletics. Many ball players i know do better at a higher %. You may be better served fighting at 7-10%.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the program, I understand that life is hectic. I'm gone to the beach for a week anyways today, so I won't be implementing any weights until at least the 13th now. So sand sprints and body weight stuff while i'm out there. Bit of swimming too because cold north atlantic water makes men out of boys and beasts out of men.

Good luck with the fight Metro! I know you are gonna kick some ass!! GET IT!

metrocard

Legend
Thanks brother. I was training like crazy all weekend to found out the guy called out of the fight. I'm still going to train like I have a fight on sabado.

KingCharles34

All Star
good thread metro i was thinkin about startin one of these...i see alotta other forums with them

lmao @ snackin on nuts all day

maybe you can post some exercises to help kologero reduce his man boobs :lol:

Im 5'11 156pds....when i graduated high school i was only 132

I weigh more now but i still got really skinny arms...im tryin to build up my biceps. I workout everyday..i do 50-60 push ups, im doin chin ups now, liftin weights, and taking creatine. What excersises can I do to get bigger biceps?

Wow Im 145 now but alot stronger and faster. I feel way better at this weight, i must have been chubby. Smh at myself for weighing that much, my weak ass was probably curling 25 pounds at that time too
smh.gif

Im gonna neg rep my old account
icon13.gif

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I've done P90X and had good results. Now I'm doing Insanity and getting pretty cut. One problem though, I have a lot of lower back soreness from Insanity. Anyone try this program and had the same problem? Any suggestions to help alleviate lower back soreness, or will this eventually go away as Insanity's primary focus is core strengthening and intense cardio?

iSaYughh

Starter
My gf did P90x, a lot of her friends have done Insanity. I coached her through a lot of her workouts.

They are definitely quality, but injuries can be very common when people do them. You aren't alone.

It sounds like you aren't sore in the "good" way. The lower back itself is a muscle group which can and should be trained, and you will feel sore (dead lifts, supermans, back extensions, etc).

It's really vital to have a strong lower back, too, for overall health and injury-prevention.

It is a typically neglected muscle; often times, especially in reasonably strong/fit people, you are much stronger in the primary muscle groups, and your fitness in these areas really outweighs the oft-neglected areas (lower back....but also, to throw it out there: neck, wrists/hands, core).

My guess is: you've been working out hard, making good progress, and are able to vigorously train within a program that has a very high intensity level (and is scalable: ie, if you train like a mad man, the workout will be very intense/high level...but also you need to be able to handle that intensity + style of training).

I have no idea how bad this back issue is/isn't.

But I would actually scale back on the core workouts, as this may well be what is causing the lower back issues -- a strong core is great for the lower back (it's part of it), but it can also cause lower back pain if your lower back isn't up to the task (even if your primary core musculature, and overall physicality, can handle the workout load).

Wait until the pain/soreness goes away, and start up slowly with the core routines, and make sure you add in lower back exercises (supermans, back extensions)...idk if Insanity includes those or not already.

p0nder

Starter
started metro's cardio program yesterday, heading into the gym again now for a LDT (its raining out).

did 23 minutes of HIIT training yesterday, looking forward to a more leisurely pace today. I'm not lifting today either so it'll be a nice rest day activity.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I'm losing weight again. I was 129 yesterday. Guess I have to manage to eat at least six times a day, rather than the three-four.

I started adding jumping squats with the ladder about two weeks ago. It's crazy.