Fire D'Antoni

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Of course it's a conspiracy theory, but I thought it's worth sharing, we should wait and be patient, but if we keep losing like this (no effort, no movement, no plays) then I'd get convinced there is something wrong with this team and getting rid of D'Antoni could be reason of this mess.

Red

TYPE-A
I can't believe how you all fail to see it's the way the roster is assembled....

of course D'Antoni sucks for a place like New York, but come on and open your eyes people, this roster is not going to work!

Remember that 2004 USA team? They failed in the World Championships in Indianapolis, because the roster had NO chemistry and was terribly assembled. As a consequence they hired coach K and take a serious look at chemistry since then and not just big names or superstar status.

The 2010 team had hardly any superstars apart from Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose, but they played brilliant basketball and killed everybody because it was a well assembled team.

We can't believe you haven't figured out its the coach.

Get off it. You make no sense. "Team struggles" it must be the roster...smh!

Maybe you don't have the internet, maybe you don't read, maybe you haven't figured out how to search this forum, idk...

But what I do know is regardless of the players the results have been the same. And many like you have offered their 2cents and blamed the "roster"

And many like me have used statistical analysis to PROVE its the coach and his system... and that's been the case for years. Wake up.

The players on this team will be here before MOA.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I can't believe how you all fail to see it's the way the roster is assembled....

of course D'Antoni sucks for a place like New York, but come on and open your eyes people, this roster is not going to work!

Remember that 2004 USA team? They failed in the World Championships in Indianapolis, because the roster had NO chemistry and was terribly assembled. As a consequence they hired coach K and take a serious look at chemistry since then and not just big names or superstar status.

The 2010 team had hardly any superstars apart from Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose, but they played brilliant basketball and killed everybody because it was a well assembled team.

Is that you, Kiyaman?

Excluding Douglas, do you honestly think that this team's key issue is a personnel issue?

I'll have to give this post a resounding :no:

pat

Starter
Just asking. Hyothetically, what would you say in case we fired D'Antoni and Mike Woodson took over without making any difference?

shizzee

Benchwarmer
Why the hell would we trade Amar'e, one of the most talented big men in the game, for a dookie like Elton Brand? Just to get Jrue Holiday?

-----
you say that now but watch, regardless of who is coaching Stat is slow coming down from his peak and I hate to see an injury happen to him in this uniform consideraing how much we pay him b/c of style of play(wild). He is erratic and plays fast (transitional player) all the time and that does match the style of Melo (1/2 court) . In the playoffs everything slows down and 1/2 offensive excel in the later rounds of the NBA. oh yeah defense 2. We can't afford for him to take 1/2 the time off with his defense and rebounding b/c waste so much energy with erratic offense. More importantly we need PG who run this team no matter who is coaching. Having Davis great but relying on Davis is terrible. This trade must happen. Brand will have an expiring contract this offseason which will allow us to move him for better piece next season. having Brand with Jeffries as your backup brings more depth to your front court. Having fields in his natural position will bring back scoring Numbers and SHumpert and Holiday in the backcourt prevent every guard from breaking down our defense. the disparity between Holiday and Douglas is far greater than between Brand and Stat. Holiday although is not world beater is among the upper top 15 PGs. Douglas is the worst starting PG in the NBA. Brand is solid but limited, pretty soon you are going to say the same about Amare, but while he still healthy and has some value trade him now. Change Melo like Barkley into from SF to PF. creating mistmatches. for night were he is outsized start Brand and move Melo to SF. This backcourt helps so much with rebounding and defensive and Holiday is play maker. the can both hit the outside shot. If Chandler only has to protect Melo he can maintain instead 3 players. Melo and Stat DOuglas will make Chandler kill himself.

Holiday Shumpert Fields Melo Chandler

p0nder

Starter
3 games for the fire D'antoni thread to start...

Not bad. In years past it started in the pre-season... I'd say this is an improvment for him and the board. GJ team.

All the same, D'antoni looks sad. Like he just looks like he's got something weighing on him right now, beyond the bad play over 3 games. Perhaps he's grumbling about the hiring of woodson who is there to take his job and instead of fighting for it, he's laying down? I don't know, but i hope they all wake up soon. We cant afford head games and politicking right now. We need to win games in a shortened season to make it to the playoffs, first things first. Then D'ant can go cry about it.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Just asking. Hyothetically, what would you say in case we fired D'Antoni and Mike Woodson took over without making any difference?

This is a good point. Does anybody think the results will be much different if we make Woodson the head coach?

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
If you look at good coaches such as Spoelstra, Carlisle, Brown (both Mike and Larry), Skiles, Jackson, Riley, etc., they're constantly standing up during the games and instructing their players. They're constantly giving the players pointers in the middle of games, making sure they're doing what they need to be doing, and calling plays from the sideline because they're analyzing the other team's strengths and weaknesses.

Pay close attention people! THIS is what makes you a coach. Being able to adjust on the fly and using your players' strengths to circumvent your plan. Motivate! Telling TD to drive to the basket every now and then so the defense can collapse! Running a pick and roll with STAT and Melo! Letting Lin get more than garbage minutes! Not usinig STAT and JORTS as stretch 4s!!!

I hate Dantoni and wish he would either get fired or have to leave due to a mysterious medical condition... either way JUST LEAVE! I want booos raining down on him during the next home game.

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is a good point. Does anybody think the results would be much different if we make Woodson the head coach?

Yes I do! It would be a different philosophy all together. We actually have good players, so this is not a "no coach could make this team better" situation.

KBlack25

Starter
Reality check:

We are 1-2 with 2 road games, Amare has consistently been poor offensively which will not continue. In our 2 losses we have held our opponents to under 100 points - defense being the big issue in MDA's system.

Relax, breathe - because if the Knicks rattle off back-to-back wins (just 1 back-to-back) we are over .500.

Calm down.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Spoelstra.....it's not hard winning over 50 games with Lebron and Wade on your roster...Carlisle - yeah good coach, Larry Brown came here and failed, Scott Skiles is a ****ing racist - no black music in the locker room, no headbands, Riley didn't get us a championship either and Phil Jackson is retired.

You guys are missing the bigger picture, it's easy to blame the coach, but ask yourself for a second where the logic is in:

Hiring a run and gun SSOL coach only to acquire half court - slow pace players like Anthony and Chandler.

Signing a superstar PF who relies on the pick and roll about 80-90% and then trading away the only half decent point guard we've had since the early days of Marbury.

This roster is terribly assembled, one of the worst assembled, if not THE worst assembled roster in the league!
NO chemistry and the different types of players just don't fit together.
Our management thought they were playing fantasy basketball and just throwing 3 big names in the hat will make a championship team - bullshit!

I liked the early 10-11 roster much better, yes we were limited talent-wise, but we had chemistry and the players fitted together.

No coach in the world can solve the Amar'e - Melo problem and Chandler is completely wasted alongside them and only eating up cap space.

Amar'e was the first one here and he brought us back to contention, but Melo is younger and some kind of a local hero....tough decision, but one has to go or we'll be stuck around .500 forever......

Its not the roster, its the system being implemented. The players fit but there's no direction.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Reality check:

We are 1-2 with 2 road games, Amare has consistently been poor offensively which will not continue. In our 2 losses we have held our opponents to under 100 points - defense being the big issue in MDA's system.

Relax, breathe - because if the Knicks rattle off back-to-back wins (just 1 back-to-back) we are over .500.

Calm down.

For me its less about our W/L and more with how our offense is running even in our one win. I am tired of MDA not utilizing our "fouls to give", I'm tired of quick 3 pointers and I am tired of STAT having to create on his own offense from the wing. STAT is not an ISO player and needs the ball in motion.

I have been one of the people calling for time with MDA for years because we were rebuilding and I did not think it was fair to judge him under those circumstance. Yes, we are only 3 games in but all I see is more of the same. Further, we have moved away from a roster that plays into MDA's stregths and we would be better suited with a different system. MDA's system is reliant on specific types of players and except for STAT and possibly Novak the rest of our team are not MDA type players. It is possible to gain success once Davis comes back but to pin our system and hopes on an aging often injured PG is too many eggs in one basket. We need a system that can function with or without an above average PG.

KBlack25

Starter
For me its less about our W/L and more with how our offense is running even in our one win. I am tired of MDA not utilizing our "fouls to give", I'm tired of quick 3 pointers and I am tired of STAT having to create on his own.

I have been one of the people calling for time with MDA for years because we were rebuilding and I did not think it was fair to judge him under those circumstance. Yes, we are only 3 games in but all I see is more of the same. Further, we have moved away from a roster that plays into MDA's stregths and we would be better suited with a different system. MDA's system is reliant on specific types of players and except for STAT and possibly Novak the rest of our team are not MDA type players. It is possible to gain success once Davis comes back but to pin our system and hopes on an aging often injured PG is too many eggs in one basket.

Well no matter who we have as coach we are relying on Toney Douglas and Baron Davis and Iman Shumpert to run the point - that's bad news all the way thru.

We have actually played reasonably okay defense - we held the Warriors to under 100, that's a game we have to win - we have to score 90 at least against that team.

STAT has been awful, forcing jumpers and getting frustrated, and there is no offensive flow right now - but the defensive flow hasn't been as terrible as its been in recent years.

Again...we are 1-2. 1 game under .500 where we have played 2 road games and 1 home game. Everyone needs to calm down as I don't see this roster being much better with Woodson.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Yes I do! It would be a different philosophy all together. We actually have good players, so this is not a "no coach could make this team better" situation.

I am not a huge D'Antoni supporter and I could see Woodson improving the team a little, but I don't think it would be a drastic improvement. It's still an iso-team with lazy defenders.

Honestly, judging from his post game comments, I think D'Antoni doesn't want to be here either. Let him go to Toronto. That roster is built more for his system than ours. He would do well there. Plus Coangelo is still there, I think.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Well no matter who we have as coach we are relying on Toney Douglas and Baron Davis and Iman Shumpert to run the point - that's bad news all the way thru.

We have actually played reasonably okay defense - we held the Warriors to under 100, that's a game we have to win - we have to score 90 at least against that team.

STAT has been awful, forcing jumpers and getting frustrated, and there is no offensive flow right now - but the defensive flow hasn't been as terrible as its been in recent years.

Again...we are 1-2. 1 game under .500 where we have played 2 road games and 1 home game. Everyone needs to calm down as I don't see this roster being much better with Woodson.

If we had a system that wasn't so reliant on a PG the fact we are weak at that position would not be that much of an issue. LA had a dynasty with Derek Fisher who is at best a mediocre PG. Further, it's not like we see our PG's trying to run plays and failing...we don't see any plays run at all! If they were getting jammed up or turning the ball over I could see us blaming the PG but not even to run the play has to be leveled at coach.

I think the culture needs to be changed as well. MDA is too lax and too forgiving of bad shots and lack of effort. If Riley was our coach and STAT was giving the kind of effort he put forth in Golden State he would have been yanked regardless of the score and made an example of. This team needs focus, discipline and a more traditional offense to succeed.

KBlack25

Starter
If we had a system that wasn't so reliant on a PG the fact we are weak at that position would not be that much of an issue. LA had a dynasty with Derek Fisher who is at best a mediocre PG. Further, it's not like we see our PG's trying to run plays and failing...we don't see any plays run at all! If they were getting jammed up or turning the ball over I could see us blaming the PG but not even to run the play has to be leveled at coach.

I think the culture needs to be changed as well. MDA is too lax and too forging of bad shots and lack of effort. If Riley was our coach and STAT was giving the kind of effort he put forth in Golden State he would have been yanked regardless of the score and made an example of. This team needs focus, discipline and a more traditional offense to succeed.

If Riley was our coach a lot of things would be different, if I had wheels I'd be a car - but I'm not and we don't have Pat Riley.

Everyone forgets it took Felton a while to become more consistent with STAT - and with Douglas, a MUCH worse PG than Felton, I imagine it might take longer.

I am not saying MDA needs to keep his job at the end of the season, but can we wait until the season is more than a week old before we go hitting the panic button? Again: we are 1-2 with 2 road games - 2 road games where, BTW, we held the opponents in check defensively. The problem is the offense, where STAT has struggled and we are down to Toney Douglas and Mike effing Bibby to run the point.

Fischer may not be the best PG in the world, but he had chemistry with his guys and was a veteran leader. Douglas is not those things - it's apples and oranges in my mind.

Red

TYPE-A
I agree...enough is enough.

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT...

Trill finally acquiesces!

Extra-Extra-Read-All-About-It.jpg

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
If Riley was our coach a lot of things would be different, if I had wheels I'd be a car - but I'm not and we don't have Pat Riley.

Everyone forgets it took Felton a while to become more consistent with STAT - and with Douglas, a MUCH worse PG than Felton, I imagine it might take longer.

I am not saying MDA needs to keep his job at the end of the season, but can we wait until the season is more than a week old before we go hitting the panic button? Again: we are 1-2 with 2 road games - 2 road games where, BTW, we held the opponents in check defensively. The problem is the offense, where STAT has struggled and we are down to Toney Douglas and Mike effing Bibby to run the point.

Fischer may not be the best PG in the world, but he had chemistry with his guys and was a veteran leader. Douglas is not those things - it's apples and oranges in my mind.

I only brought up Riley as an example of the lax culture. Further, if it was just about giving time for our PG to acclimate I would agree but there are so many "structural" defects that have nothing to do with chemistry or time that I don't see how MDA will ever be an effective coach here. Again, our roster is not an MDA roster so why would we give it to the end of the season? The writing is on the wall and I think its best to make changes sooner than later.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT...

Trill finally acquiesces!

Extra-Extra-Read-All-About-It.jpg

Our roster has changed and we have moved from rebuilding to trying to compete. All my points over the years have been valid and had we kept an MDA type roster I would be calling for time for this team to gel. BTW, I stated this last year so simmer down.