Reggie Miller: "WTF are we watching?"

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
He took the words right out of my mouth when he said that. WTF were we watching last night? This is beyond time to gel. The ball went to Melo or Amare and they Iso'd. There was NO BALL MOVEMENT. TO much Isolation, no body movements. No offensive sets. Amare looked lost. Melo tried to shoulder too much. Chandler was a NO FACTOR. The offense looked elementary.

Even Reggie said like its clear they don't have any offensive chemistry. Run some BASIC basketball sets. backdoor screens. Down screens..Dantoni is a freaking Idiot. :barf:

CoolClyde

i believe someone asked what type of Knicks basketball they were seeing,
and the answer was "hard to watch"
:barf::gony:

KBlack25

Starter
The problem is Amare and Melo are both ball stoppers - Amare was successful running pick and roll with Felton early last year, that was our bread and butter go-to play.

With Douglas, sometimes I feel like he holds on to the ball way too long and is not looking to distribute as much as I would like. The ball goes to Amare or Melo on the outside and they try and take it 1-on-1. They need a PG who will run the pick and roll or do something.

They really need Rubio to be honest.

To hell with this fake coach. Any real coach works with what he has/ he adapts and plays to his players to their strenghs. We signed and traded damn near the whole NBA to give him a chance and he still sucks. Why should we give him EXACTLY what he wants, who in the hell do he think he is? If a PG is not available.... then draw up some damn post plays or something for your Stat And Mello and stop having them around the 3 point line tossing them up.

All this talent and he can't do a damn thing with it becasue his lame ass needs a certain type of PG...:barf:gtfooh!

KBlack25

Starter
To hell with this fake coach. Any real coach works with what he has/ he adapts and plays to his players to their strenghs. We signed and traded damn near the whole NBA to give him a chance and he still sucks. Why should we give him EXACTLY what he wants, who in the hell do he think he is? If a PG is not available.... then draw up some damn post plays or something for your Stat And Mello and stop having them around the 3 point line tossing them up.

All this talent and he can't do a damn thing with it becasue his lame ass needs a certain type of PG...:barf:gtfooh!

Not saying MDA needs a certain type of PG - but I do think STAT and Melo do need a certain type of PG to make them most effective.

We agree that 1-on-1 on the wing every time down the court is an ineffective strategy - but I am not confident Douglas can effectively run the point in any system. He can run the point if we need a guy to score but in terms of a distributor I think he is sorely lacking.

Davis should help - but I would really like to see a pass-first PG in, until that happens - regardless of the coach - I think Melo and STAT struggle to play at their full potential.

Not saying MDA needs a certain type of PG - but I do think STAT and Melo do need a certain type of PG to make them most effective.

We agree that 1-on-1 on the wing every time down the court is an ineffective strategy - but I am not confident Douglas can effectively run the point in any system. He can run the point if we need a guy to score but in terms of a distributor I think he is sorely lacking.

Davis should help - but I would really like to see a pass-first PG in, until that happens - regardless of the coach - I think Melo and STAT struggle to play at their full potential.

2 guys on this forum agree with me...

I'm not counting sheep, but obviously I'm not alone with my oppinion that this is more about chemistry than just the coach or our point guard.....

Time will tell I guess, until then I have said enough for now. I'll just shut up for the next week about my theory why we struggle and follow oppinions on this board.

KBlack25

Starter
2 guys on this forum agree with me...

I'm not counting sheep, but obviously I'm not alone with my oppinion that this is more about chemistry than just the coach or our point guard.....

Time will tell I guess, until then I have said enough for now. I'll just shut up for the next week about my theory why we struggle and follow oppinions on this board.

Problem for us is Ricky Rubio isn't walking thru that door - we have to hope Baron Davis shows up healthy and in shape basically...

The issue with Melo-STAT has always been that they both tend to stop the ball, getting a guy who distributes well (like Raymond Felton) really helps those guys just find their way into open space to get a good shot rather than force them to take the defender off the dribble.

TD is not a true PG...But the coach is not a true coach either. If you constantly fail because you don't have a certain PG (but have a pg and other players with obvious talent) then......you need to adjust your coaching style instead of trying to change the style of the players. D'Ant problem is not being able to make plays, he depends on a PG to do that for him...which is why I think he is not a true coach....IMHO...

KBlack25

Starter
TD is not a true PG...But the coach is not a true coach either. If you constantly fail because you don't have a certain PG (but have a pg and other players with obvious talent) then......you need to adjust your coaching style instead of trying to change the style of the players. D'Ant problem is not being able to make plays, he depends on a PG to do that for him...which is why I think he is not a true coach....IMHO...

I think STAT and Melo also depend on a particular type of PG to make them effective...

Maybe Stat, but i disagree mello needs one....and all we need is someone to get the ball to them, no special pg's. We spend big cash on Stat and Melo because they can score without help. Our PG problems can easily be fixed through play designs. That's D'ant's main problem.

CA7

Scoring Champ
STAT has been the main ball stopper then he dribbles too much and turns it over or throws up some bull shit. Melo has only stopped it on the perimeter when the clock is 8 and under or he post up but still guys stand still.

I mean a basic play D'Antoni could run is Melo and Toney up top at the foul line extended out to the 3 point line. Chandler in the short corner on TD side, STAT in the short corner on Melo side, Fields in the long corner on Melo side.

TD sets a down screen for Chandler hopefully forcing a switch either during the down screen or ensuing pick n roll, Chandler sets a pick for Melo as Melo drives off the pick Chandler rolls, Melo reads the D either he has Douglas' guy on him, Chandlers guy or his guy most likely they switch because of the "movement" before the play, Douglas spots up, Fields spots up and STAT flashes high. With Melo working off the dribble and having 4 options in Chandler rolling, STAT flashing, and Douglas and Fields spotting up the defense not only have to react but they have to give something up. You either help on Melo and leave open Chandler or a shooter or stay with your assignment while Carmelo bullies his opponent.

This is very simple shit but effective.

Knicks#7

Rookie
:agreed::agreed::agreed:

nyk_nyk

All Star
STAT has been the main ball stopper then he dribbles too much and turns it over or throws up some bull shit. Melo has only stopped it on the perimeter when the clock is 8 and under or he post up but still guys stand still.

I mean a basic play D'Antoni could run is Melo and Toney up top at the foul line extended out to the 3 point line. Chandler in the short corner on TD side, STAT in the short corner on Melo side, Fields in the long corner on Melo side.

TD sets a down screen for Chandler hopefully forcing a switch either during the down screen or ensuing pick n roll, Chandler sets a pick for Melo as Melo drives off the pick Chandler rolls, Melo reads the D either he has Douglas' guy on him, Chandlers guy or his guy most likely they switch because of the "movement" before the play, Douglas spots up, Fields spots up and STAT flashes high. With Melo working off the dribble and having 4 options in Chandler rolling, STAT flashing, and Douglas and Fields spotting up the defense not only have to react but they have to give something up. You either help on Melo and leave open Chandler or a shooter or stay with your assignment while Carmelo bullies his opponent.

This is very simple shit but effective.

And this is what pisses me off about Dantoni! Here we have a poster on KOL designing a play to create better offensive flow and a million dollar NBA coach can't even do it! AND it doesn't matter if the above play would work... at least the offense is little more structured while doing it.

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
Wasn't Melo supposed to be a point forward for us this year? That lasted like, 2 quarters in the Celtics game?

I don't understand why we are just iso iso iso iso all the time. It's just inefficient offense.

KBlack25

Starter
Wasn't Melo supposed to be a point forward for us this year? That lasted like, 2 quarters in the Celtics game?

I don't understand why we are just iso iso iso iso all the time. It's just inefficient offense.

I hate the point forward - but to start the game last night he was the point forward.

quiggle

Starter
the play with him dribbing into the paint like he was a point guard and Kobe stripped him from behind was priceless

quiggle

Starter
Why? Are you really a Knick fan? Maybe you can show us the proper way of driving to the paint against Kobe. SMH

am I a Knicks fan? :gony: why should I be a fan of subpar basketball? I dont and neither should any of you owe allegiance to the players, they are contracted by the team. why some of you continue to sit and bite your tongues for this disgrace team is beyond me. show me the fire and heart, haven't seen this since the late 90's.

Kiyaman

Legend
The problem is Amare and Melo are both ball stoppers - Amare was successful running pick and roll with Felton early last year, that was our bread and butter go-to play.

With Douglas, sometimes I feel like he holds on to the ball way too long and is not looking to distribute as much as I would like. The ball goes to Amare or Melo on the outside and they try and take it 1-on-1. They need a PG who will run the pick and roll or do something.

They really need Rubio to be honest.

The two superstars need a strategic-headcoach....that knows how to use a
BIGMAN like C-Tyson Chandler on offense and defense.
Tyson is not a scorer, he is a wide-screener to pick for Melo peremeter-skills,
and to set screens for Amare pick n roll.

On defense Toney Douglas run into screens throughout the game....wheres
the comunication....how many screens or picks was set for Toney Douglas by
Melo, Amare, and Tyson in the past 3 games? None.
Would Melo, Amare, and Tyson be setting screens & picks for Billups? Hell Yeah!

All this talent and he can't do a damn thing with it becasue his lame ass needs a certain type of PG...

:agreed:
The Knicks now have a real 7.0 center in the starting lineup....and the headcoach
still got everyone playing the 3-point line on offense. Is it me, or is Dantoni
actually clueless on how to use a bonafide center in his rotation.
Amare suppose to be position in the middle on offense, while Tyson screens,
pick, block-out-paint, and be position for a put-back.
On Defense we need Tyson in the paint....not outside defending on the peremeter.

Paul1355

All Star
He took the words right out of my mouth when he said that. WTF were we watching last night? This is beyond time to gel. The ball went to Melo or Amare and they Iso'd. There was NO BALL MOVEMENT. TO much Isolation, no body movements. No offensive sets. Amare looked lost. Melo tried to shoulder too much. Chandler was a NO FACTOR. The offense looked elementary.

Even Reggie said like its clear they don't have any offensive chemistry. Run some BASIC basketball sets. backdoor screens. Down screens..Dantoni is a freaking Idiot. :barf:

It's amazing how we are just not a fundamentally sound team. Mike D never stresses fundamentals. He hopes that a players talent will just get him over the hump, meaning he'd rather have someone who just makes lights out 3's and has amazing court vision run his team than him actually running set plays and adjusting in the game.

I haven't liked this guy from day one, but the Knicks have had their good and bad stretches.

Right now we are seeing how bad his teams are without Steve Nash running the point, they are terrible.

His offense is stagnant without a pure PG.

Douglas is not a PG, he is a small tweener who is really a small 2 guard Jason Terry type.

Shumpert and Davis couldn't be healthy any sooner.

I never see any one passing to Chandler on pick and rolls, and why is Amare not picking and rolling anymore?

Why doesn't Douglas come off screens like Ray Allen and pop a three of a screen? Why don't we post up Amare more often instead of having him camp 20 feet from the hoop? He can't ball handle and is missing the mid range so it would make sense.

Too many questions.

I was calling for Mike D to be fired back when we had a crappy team. Then Amare came and we would have won more games. Then Melo came and the offense changed entirely.

Now we have a solid team. No excuses.

I don't care if Douglas sucks at PG....you can bring in Jeremy Lin who has better court vision. You can stop playing Fields so many minutes and play Walker more. You can STOP playing Amare at Center and use Harrelson and Jerome Jordan at the 5 and keep Amare at the 4 unless every big man is hurt. You can have your team attack the boards more instead of always running back for transition defense. All it takes is having Tyson or Fields always attacking the hoop for offensive rebounds then send everyone back, is it that hard?

How are we getting outrebounded with Douglas who is a good rebounder for a PG, Fields who is one of the best rebounders at SG, Melo who averages 6+ rebounds a game, Amare averages 8+ and Tyson averaged 10 rebounds a game last year????? Walker is also a good rebounder, Balkman is a good rebounder....why are we getting outrebounded?

Because Mike D's style makes us jack up shots then run back for defense, we don't focus on getting high percentage shots and getting rebounds. It's sickening.

The "system" only looks good when u have a good distributing PG and everyone hitting their shots.