nyk_nyk

All Star
Knicks lose to Raptors

Knicks Blog
Berman on Twitter

By MARC BERMAN
Last Updated: 8:42 AM, January 3, 2012
Posted: 2:19 AM, January 3, 2012

The jetlagged Knicks seemed in a post-California-trip haze during and after last night's 90-85 loss to the Raptors.
Nobody could get his story straight after this lousy Garden defeat regarding Carmelo Anthony's missed 3-point shot with 10.7 seconds left that would have tied the score. The miss killed the Knicks' comeback bid from 17 points down in the first half as they dropped to 2-3. Coach Mike D'Antoni said the team didn't run the correct play and could be seen speaking animatedly to maligned starting point guard Toney Douglas on the sideline afterward.
carmelo_anthony--300x300.jpg
Paul J. Bereswill
MELO YELL: Carmelo Anthony drives on the Raptors? Rasual Butler during the Knicks? 90-85 loss last night at Madison Square Garden that dropped the team to 2-3.

But both Anthony and Douglas, who had 21 points, including a 4-point play, thought he did the right thing and Anthony simply missed a good look that spoiled his 35-point evening. Anthony's trey attempt was their whopping 35th of the game.

"We forgot the play,'' D'Antoni said. "It's a learning experience. We didn't run the play right. [But] it shouldn't have come down to that.''

Trailing by three coming out of a timeout with 17.4 seconds left, Anthony took a feed from Douglas behind the 3-point line and bricked it. Douglas appeared to be in the wrong spot when he got the ball, or it is possible D'Antoni wanted him to attempt to drive first. The Knicks settled all night for long-range bombs, which could have been a result of their fatigue.
When told D'Antoni said they forgot the play, Douglas was confused. "It was get [Anthony] the ball at the end of the day,'' Douglas said. "We got to look at it on film. The play was to give him the ball. The game is so quick. [Today] at practice we'll be able to tell you all.'' D'Antoni would not specify what Douglas did wrong when asked. Anthony didn't know either.

"Coach told me to go quick,'' Anthony said. "That was the shot we wanted to go for. I asked him a two or a three, and he said whatever I wanted to go for at the time. If I had taken it to the rim, I probably would have had a worse shot than that. I figured we were down three with 17 seconds left. If I make it, it's a tie game. If not, we get a chance at the rebound.''

If the Knicks forgot the play, it was par for the course after taking a redeye flight back from California on New Year's Eve. They also felt the effects of missing Amar'e Stoudemire for a second straight game with a left ankle sprain, as replacement rookie Josh Harrellson left his magic in Sacramento.
Harrellson, the double-double hero in Saturday's victory over the Kings, did not convert a field goal, finished with two points and even his last-minute block of Amir Johnson could not propel the Knicks to victory. The Knicks shot a dreadful 28.2 percent in the first half. Harrellson was 0-for-4 -- all from 3-point range.

REALLY??? So much conflicting information here but I'm going to have to side with the players on this one. Dantoni wants to act like he had some elaborate play designed but wouldn't specify. Meanwhile, both TD and Melo confirmed that the ball was simply supposed to be given to Melo. The worst part about it was that MOA further displays his futile coaching by giving Melo the option to take whatever shot he wants!! What the f*** are you the coach for dude??? MOA should decide how he wants his team to proceed after a timeout. It should be his gameplan. I've never seen such bad coaching in my life!

Menwhile, Jorts is developing bad habits by playing like a wing player instead of a post player. SMH

Is anyone else seeing this crap!

quiggle

Starter
there is a team coming over to Brooklyn next season that might need some fresh faces and fans if some of you here are tired of this pee wee basketball

fender0577

Rotation player
He sounds like Rex Ryan saying he didn't know Holmes wasn't in the(Jets-Miami) game, what the hell are you lying for?No accountability.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
D`Antoni isn`t a basketball coach, he`s a phoney. This idiot couldn`t coach a salmon to swim upriver.

Are we really supposed to believe that D`Antoni had some elaborate play worked out and that Melo and Douglas blew it? the coach hasn`t come up with a play of any kind during the early part of the season and now he has a great play coming out of the timeout.

Stop lying Mike. the sooner we fire this clown the better.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
there is a team coming over to Brooklyn next season that might need some fresh faces and fans if some of you here are tired of this pee wee basketball

My man are you even a Knicks fan? You carry yourself with such a cynical manner on this forum.

quiggle

Starter
My man are you even a Knicks fan? You carry yourself with such a cynical manner on this forum.

certainly but you tell me what is there to be upbeat about after decades upon decades of failure? u should be lucky I havent looked for another team. its like putting with with a woman who has vaginal dryness, how much more can you take and stay positive before finding something more worthwhile and satisfying?

Wargames

Starter
certainly but you tell me what is there to be upbeat about after decades upon decades of failure? u should be lucky I havent looked for another team. its like putting with with a woman who has vaginal dryness, how much more can you take and stay positive before finding something more worthwhile and satisfying?

wow!!! Maybe its not the woman. Maybe its you..... lol

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer

I should be lucky you havnt found a new team? haha.... I hear where your coming from, but bringing up the past and past players does us no good. Whats done is done, and its time to move on brother. Being a sports fan espicially a team fan allows for an emotional rollercoaster. If people are not fully invested into a team through good and bad, might aswell be a Patriot, Spurs, Lakers or Phillies fan.

quiggle

Starter
thats true, but between you and me I did bandwagon a couple of times over to Lakers Spurs Heat and Mavs forums but two things about those places, the fans there are very fake not like here, and they cant accept any criticism, needless to say I was either banned or laughed off there so this is really only the place I feel at home with.

thats true, but between you and me I did bandwagon a couple of times over to Lakers Spurs Heat and Mavs forums but two things about those places, the fans there are very fake not like here, and they cant accept any criticism, needless to say I was either banned or laughed off there so this is really only the place I feel at home with.

You need to chill bro, hate the roster if you like, but don't EVER turn your back on the franchise!

How can you not love a franchise that had players like Clyde, Willis, Earl the Pearl, Pat, LJ, The Oaktree, Starks, Spree, H20, Bernard The King, Mase etc. ??????

As you should have noticed by now, I'm not a big fan of our current roster either, but I'd NEVER EVER quit on the Knicks. This is one of the greatest franchises in basketball, Dolan will have to leave one day and from then on things will get better for a long long time!

And **** the Nets! I'd never watch them, not even for free, not even if they add Howard, just fck em!

CoolClyde

squiggle ban

YOU? banned or laughed off? ahahahahahahahahahahah!
:sperm::ban:
get on the banned-wagon!

quiggle

Starter
yah i agree but I dont feel its justified to be paying these underachievers my hard good money, now the 90's I would have no problem spending because they definitely earned it but why am I paying more for the tickets to see inferior quality basketball? cant believe some of you here lick Melos nads when he is the one who will make it one day for some of you to be unable to go bring your kids to a game because cant afford the tickets.

quiggle

Starter
YOU? banned or laughed off? ahahahahahahahahahahah!
:sperm::ban:
get on the banned-wagon!

nah like when I was over at the Mavs forum I made a thread about jason kidd and his domestic violence past and got flamed pretty good by the peeps there. I did the same about Kobe and the colorado incident and got banned, but i think it was because i signed up during the playoffs and they misinterpreted me to be a troll or spammer, it was just bad timing I guess

yah i agree but I dont feel its justified to be paying these underachievers my hard good money, now the 90's I would have no problem spending because they definitely earned it but why am I paying more for the tickets to see inferior quality basketball? cant believe some of you here lick Melos nads when he is the one who will make it one day for some of you to be unable to go bring your kids to a game because cant afford the tickets.

The sport has changed, that's something we all have to accept bro!

Of course 90's basketball was better, I haven't met a dude who disagress on that, but the 90's are long gone - we have to accept that.

Having said that, there are still good defensive teams out there like the Bulls, but overall the game has changed to a more offensive (and softer) approach, but not only for us, for everybody.

A clown like Lebron wouldn't survive a quarter against the likes of Bill Laimbeer or Charles Oakley, but there are no Laimbeers or Oakleys in the league anymore.

And regarding ticket prices: Everything gets more expensive these days, not just ticket prices for basketball games, just look at the gas prices!
We have to accept that, it's part of capitalism, which also provides us with a lot of luxury, would you prefer comunism, where prices stay the same, but the standard of living is about as high as in a rat-hole?
Just look at North Korea...

And you can't say todays players don't deserve their payment, because the game is not as good/intense as it used to be in the 90s.....the market dictates the salary.

Of course salaries are too high these days, especially when you compare them to NFL salaries, where they actually risk their health any given sunday, but so were the NBA salaries of the 90s relative to football and 'normal job' salaries.

Do you remember how valuable $5 million used to be in like 94, 95? It was a huge amount dude.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Wait, Douglas messes up the inbounds play and it's D'Antoni's fault? Douglas apologized to his teammates today for screwing up the play. I'm fine with calling out D'Antoni but you guys take it to another level. Sheesh. Should we blame the economy on D'Antoni too? What about the violence in the Middle East. It must be D'Antoni's fault.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I haven't seen the apology from Toney, so that's whatever.

But when I watch the Miami Heat steal an inbounds play, from the Celtics, where a man is a decoy and runs a defender out of the paint, two players set a couple of successive screens for a player running baseline >> key >> baseline for a chance at a easy play at the rim, where the options are field goal/field goal+and-one/free throws, and the play that Douglas allegedly messed up was "get Melo the ball, and do whatever the **** it is that you want to do" on a night where shots aren't exactly coming at a high percentage out of the ISOs....I have a huge problem. DRAW. UP. AN. ACTUAL. PLAY. COACH!!!

Spin it as me blaming Mike D'Antoni for crime in the inner cities, the ungodly heat in Qatar, or the fact that women shop so damn much.

But he's the coach, he's not coaching, he politics with the refs and yells at no-name players.

Why is Melo even asking if Mike wants a 2 or a 3? Shouldn't the play specify EXACTLY what shot he's taking?

Are we even ****ing serious anymore? This is a joke right? Right?!?!?

Wait, Douglas messes up the inbounds play and it's D'Antoni's fault? Douglas apologized to his teammates today for screwing up the play. I'm fine with calling out D'Antoni but you guys take it to another level. Sheesh. Should we blame the economy on D'Antoni too? What about the violence in the Middle East. It must be D'Antoni's fault.

But according to Douglas and Melo.. Douglas made the right play.. Toney probably only apologized to cover his "coach" ass.