Patty Mills

finestrg

Rotation player
How 'bout this guy? Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski's reporting that Mills was just cut by his Chinese team -- he's been out 10 days with a bad hammy.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Supposedly he wants back in Portland. Surprising, considering they have Ray Felton at the point backed up by Nolan Smith, Armon Johnson, Crawford can handle the ball, etc.. Where's he gonna play on that squad? Plus, their roster's set at 15 right now anyway. I think he'd be happy to be back in the NBA playing for any club at this point...

Tell ya what, I like him. Hamstrings heal, so that's no big deal. Dude has a lot of talent man...Lightning quick, handles it well, can push the ball, and he can shoot and put up points. Plus he's got enough PG skills to get by, certainly more than what Douglas and Bibby are showing...I mean if we're not gonna give Lin a real shot, do we cut him and take a flyer on Mills? Could he be the bridge we've been looking for that gets us to Baron Davis? I think he's worth a look here. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
I tell you all right now, with no hesitation at all -- Patty Mills is a better basketball player than Toney Douglas, Mike Bibby and Jeremy Lin. We should sign him. He'd automatically become my starting PG. They're never gonna utilize Lin the way I would at this point and give him a real chance, Bibby's shot and all Douglas can really do is shoot the ball. I think Patty's just as good a shooter as TD anyway. Difference is Mills can also do about 1000 other things too. TD/Bibby can't hold a candle to this guy in terms of penetration, fast-breaking, passing, finding open guys...Even offensively -- this guy can go get his own offense much, much easier than Douglas or Bibby. I've been watching Mills since his days at St. Mary's --- he's the goods and he can play in this league..

We really should get Mills on board. Dude would be a gift for us right now. Instant PG upgrade w/o making a trade or anything. Just a little roster adjusting.

Last edited:

NYKnicks11

Benchwarmer
This board is fascinated by any undersized unproven PG that is available. First Barea, then Lin and now Mills.

metrocard

Legend
Good comparison -- I actually think Mills is better than Barea. An inch or two bigger too. Mills is 6'.

Mills is taller by an inch but that doesn't make him better. Barea is about two levels above Mills. Barea has been successful and competitive in every league he's been in. FIBA, NCAA, Portsmouth, NBDL, Summerleague, NBA Finals...Barea gets ratchet and is bringing a winning attitude to Minnesota.

Mills isn't established yet. When he becomes establish, then you may think that.

finestrg

Rotation player
Mills is taller by an inch but that doesn't make him better. Barea is about two levels above Mills. Barea has been successful and competitive in every league he's been in. FIBA, NCAA, Portsmouth, NBDL, Summerleague, NBA Finals...Barea gets ratchet and is bringing a winning attitude to Minnesota.

Mills isn't established yet. When he becomes establish, then you may think that.

I think that already. Mills actually has proven a lot to me already, at least enough to warrant getting a real shot to play in the NBA somewhere...Standout at St. Mary's, played UNBELIEVABLE against the NBA's best (CP3, D-Will, J-Kidd) a few years ago in the Olympics (tell me that wasn't an eye-opener), looked good the past couple of yrs in Portland when Nate McMillan got around to playing him and he played well in China recently before hurting his hamstring... If he was "established," he wouldn't be available right now. Look at it that way...

How established is Toney Douglas anyway? What has he really proven? Not much as far as I'm concerned. OK, he made a name for himself in college as a defensive player, winning ACC Defensive POY for Florida State, but honestly, that aspect of his game has not transferred over to the NBA. This guy's an overrated player defensively, plain & simple. I've watched every Knick game since the early 80s (pre-Ewing) -- seen every game Toney's played for us --- look back and think -- gimme one game in the NBA where TD's shined defensively. Gimmie one game where he locked down a real good PG. Even a middle-of-the-road PG...I can't think of any man. Not saying he's terrible defensively, obviously he's not--he's adequate, just not the all-world defender he's been played up to be. I don't see it anyway....So what's left?? Not much man...We're looking at an adequate defender with sub-par quickness, sub-par penetration skills, sub-par finishing around the basket (no elevation) and well below average court vision/passing skills. Yeah he can shoot the ball a little but that's not what we really need outta this guy. Of course we need him to knock down open looks and he can do that at least --- but what we need MUCH MUCH more right now is a PG that can push the pace and get everyone else involved first.

I was at the game last night and saw in person what I already know -- Douglas is a good kid that plays hard but he has very little to no idea how to run this team...And it's not like he doesn't have weapons here. Carmelo Anthony, Amar'e Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler, Iman Shumpert...Outside of a nifty behind the back pass to Chandler to open the game (and I was rubbing my eyes in amazement he executed that play), all the offense these players got (outside of a few more oop dunks from Chandler, some not even assisted by Douglas) was one-on-one basketball. Melo going one-on-one, forcing the issue...Amar'e going one-on-one, same thing...Shump trying to manufacture something outta nothing....All un-assisted buckets coming in the half-court set...Nobody got any easy baskets because Douglas simply can't push the pace/dictate the pace. It's a struggle for him. He just doesn't operate that way...Honestly, with the weapons we have, do we really need Toney Douglas taking 17 shots? Rondo wins games for Boston sometimes taking 5 shots or less..Why? Because he gets 10+ assists with ease..Because he pushes the pace, gets all of their key players the ball in transition and then when that's not there, he delivers the ball to these guys in other ways, knifing down the middle setting up players for easy buckets etc...We don't see that from Toney at all. Dude runs around in circles chewing up clock, then hands the ball off to another guy out high and lets them go one-on-one. I can't bear to watch it anymore. We need a change.

I understand Baron Davis will be back at some point but in the meantime, what do we do? Continue losing games to inferior teams? On our homecourt no less??

How'd DJ Augustin look to you guys last night? Pretty good to me...He didn't shoot the ball well but he did everything else well --- dictacted the pace with his superb quickness and then when the transition game wasn't there, he delivered the ball in other ways, mostly off penetration -- drive and kick, P&R...I think Patrick Mills is just as talented as DJ Augustin. Very similar skill-sets. Call me nuts but I think Patty has even more ability than Augustin...I can't believe they're willing to keep going with TD...D'Antoni wants to say after the game that the offense was fine and that it was the defense that was terrible -- that's true to a point. Defense did suck too..But I still don't like how they're playing offensively. We put up 110 pts on a good % because Melo & STAT are great players that can play one-on-one when nothing else is there..Because Shumpert can obviously play...Because Tyson Chandler can finish at the rim with the best in the NBA when he's being utilized properly...That's what kept us within striking distance for much of the game last night...Not anything TD did..It's a problem man. If D'Antoni can't see it, then management has to step in and do something. Make a minor adjustment. Cut Lin if he's not gonna be given an opportunity and bring in Mills. Let D'Antoni see in person in practice everyday what I already know -- that Patty Mills can play and help them play at the pace I know he's dying to play at.

I'm talking about Mills because he has good talent, plays the complete opposite of TD (unlike Douglas, Mills has the quickness and skill to dictate the pace and get out and run---plus, I honestly believe he'd be just as good a defender and an even better offensive player for us) AND because he just became available. We're not making a trade for a starting PG, not when we have Baron Davis supposedly coming back in a few weeks. They seem content to wait for that and so do I...But why can't we make a minor adjustment to see if we can get better in the meantime? I think we can with a minor move for Patty Mills. Why throw away these games waiting for Davis??? I'm not even saying bring in Mills outta nowhere to supplant Douglas as the starter --- keep Douglas as the starting PG. Just bring in Mills as a backup option and go from there. He's head a shoulders a better player than Bibby and Lin. I know he's a better talent than TD as well but I'd take him as a backup right now and work him in. Bring him in and let him prove to our coach what I already know. Dude's a very good talent and would allow us to at least play at an entirely different pace. I hate to pin it all on Douglas like this but to me, he's the biggest problem.

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
Interesting to read that Mills' Chinese team, the Xinjiang Flying Tigers, cut ties with Mills, claiming he was "faking" his hamstring injury. How crazy is that?? Why would he do that? He wasn't even asking off the team -- only for another couple of weeks to get his hammy right...What evidence do they have that he was faking the injury? Ludicrous...Now that team is trying to say that he can't sign with another pro club until after the Chinese League comes to an end, sometime in March. WTF?!?!?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/...ard-patrick-mills-says-he-faked-injury-010312

What a bunch of baloney, seriously. Mills and his agent should go on the offensive here and slap Xinjiang with a wrongful termination lawsuit. As if it wasn't bad enough that they embarrassed him (a guy that was putting up over 25 pts a game for them, leading them to a winning record thusfar at 9-7) and presumably stopped paying him --- NOW they wanna tell him he can't sign with another pro club??? F outta here with that shit. He didn't ask out or walk away from that team; THEY RELEASED HIM! He should be able to sign with whoever the hell he wants to sign with now. All players should be extremely leery about signing in China now after this crap...I can understand wanting to keep players once you sign them but if there's a decision made at any point by a Chinese team to cut a player, that player should have free reign to go wherever he wants to go. This smells fishy. Hopefully Patty can rectify this ASAP. And hopefully the Knicks are monitoring this situation. This is a player with a lot of talent (DJ Augustin equivalent skills, better imho) along with NBA experience. He could definitely help us..

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Toney Douglas fought for minutes and became a NBA starter...despite the circumstances, and I rather have Mills over Douglas but you need to accept the facts and stop being a fanatic. Winning an NBA starter job is something Mills has not done yet. Mills isn't really the Rubio, Nash or Paul type passer. His speed is great, but he's fragile as glass, very injury prone.

I support him and his career and think he can help the Knicks better than Bibby, Lin and Douglas. But please recognize his flaws.

finestrg

Rotation player
Well first off, let's not kid ourselves about how TD became the starting PG here. This guy's the starter because we assembled a roster to start the season that didn't have anything better. Bibby at this stage in his career is about on par with TD, probably worse. Lin's an enigma that was signed later on and a guy that Mike will never give a real opportunity to and BD is hurt..You're trying to come across like Douglas outplayed other guys along the way to get the gig. I don't think that's so. Who did he beat out to get the job?? For better or worse, Toney's all we have right now, until we get Baron back and who really knows when that'll be. Or unless Shump takes his place in the starting 5 but in actuality, if he does wind up in the starting 5, he probably replaces Fields who's struggling even worse than Toney... Last yr, Felton was the clear-cut starter, then Billups. TD never beat out either one of those vets -- he was the understudy to both players, as he should've been..Toney only started a handful of games when Chauncey got hurt. I'm not so sure I agree with the whole "he fought for mins and became an NBA starter" theory..I don't think he won the starting job -- he's the de facto starting PG right now 'cause we don't have anything better!

As for Mills, we seem to be on the same page more or less. You seem to agree that he has talent and that he could help us, though I feel like you're misunderstanding me somewhat. I don't know if Mills will ever be a star player and i don't think I'm being a fanatic about him. I know he has some shortcomings. True, he's slightly undersized and he has gotten hurt a couple of times in recent yrs. Only two injuries that I know of however -- the broken hand/wrist at St. Mary's that kept him out for a stretch and the recent pulled hammy in China, an injury his former team said he was faking btw -- not sure those two injuries alone are enough to call him "fragile as glass." EDIT: come to think of it, didn't he break his foot last yr or the yr before in Portland, at the beginning of the year? OK, maybe I can see what you're saying a little bit more now...Nevertheless, he's a better player all around than Toney -- we seem to be in agreement there. True he isn't that Rubio or Paul type of passer but not many are. My point is that he's better in that area than Douglas is. That's all I'm looking for -- a guy that's an improvement over Douglas that we can get right now w/o making a major trade that would cause disruption or possibly weaken the roster (I mean think about what Toronto would want for Jose Calderon or what Cleveland would want for Ramon Sessions for example -- Gilbert ain't gonna give Sessions to us for a bag of marbles. Even though he's behind Kyrie Irving all of a sudden doesn't make him any less valuable -- Sessions is still young and still starting PG caliber). I'm content to wait for Davis -- I personally think Davis, if healthy, will be a difference maker. I don't think they're looking to make a trade for a starting-caliber PG, not with Baron Davis waiting in the wings.. If anything, maybe a small move, like what they did to add Jeremy Lin..I just don't want to see them lose games in the meantime, hoping that TD finally gets it while waiting for Davis' back to fully heal. I got news for ya -- TD ain't ever gonna get it -- the dude's not a PG, pure & simple..And BD's back could take several more weeks... I'm looking for an interm solution/upgrade over TD and I think Mills is one of the best options out there for us at the moment. All I'm sayin'..

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Douglas is a better shooter and defender than Mills, with more NBA experience and a bigger and stronger body. Mills isn't better all around. That is false. Mills is just faster, can pass a level above douglas but not by much and is younger.

I rate Douglas a 68

Mills is a 65.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Douglas is a better shooter and defender than Mills, with more NBA experience and a bigger and stronger body. Mills isn't better all around. That is false. Mills is just faster, can pass a level above douglas but not by much and is younger.

I rate Douglas a 68

Mills is a 65.

That's a fair post. But I feel Douglas is the most overrated defender on our list. He has been torched by everyone this season.

Mills has proven himself in international games, and was absolutely dominant in his few dleafuw games.

I'd take him over Douglas any day of the week

CoolClyde

Patty Cake

aren't all players in Chinese league (Chandler, KMart, JR Smith, etc) forced to wait until season ends before signing with NBA club, sometime in March? by that time, Baron D will be Knicks starting PG... or is that just for NBA players who signed during lockout?

thanks for the TMI on St. Patty, finestrong!

finestrg

Rotation player
aren't all players in Chinese league (Chandler, KMart, JR Smith, etc) forced to wait until season ends before signing with NBA club, sometime in March? by that time, Baron D will be Knicks starting PG... or is that just for NBA players who signed during lockout?

thanks for the TMI on St. Patty, finestrong!

Yeah, that seems to be the case -- there seems to be a clause in all the contracts for players that opted for China that prohibits them from playing pro ball until the Chinese season ends, but how the hell does this apply to Mills? That's what I wanna know.. His situation seems totally different to me...He never asked out, just for some more time to get his hammy right. Not only does the team try to force him back on the court when he was injured, they then turn around and cut him, claiming that he was faking the injury...I've never heard of anything like that before in my life. And he was playing well for that team too - averaging somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 ppg and leading them to a winning record...Why couldn't this friggin' team give him the time he needed to mend?? Derek Jeter injured his hammy this past yr for the Yankees and I know for a fact he wasn't back in a couple of days -- it took a few weeks from what I remember. Hamstrings always do.. And you know the Yanks would never rush a player back from any injury, esp. Derek Jeter...Mills shouldn't have to wait until March...Why? That team cut him!!

metrocard

Legend
You are officially profoundly retarded. They didn't give him time because Mills is easily replaceable, ask Portland.

Mills doesn't deserve to have his name in the same sentence of the greatest SS of all time.

Derek Jeter. Learn how to respect.

finestrg

Rotation player
You are officially profoundly retarded. They didn't give him time because Mills is easily replaceable, ask Portland.

Mills doesn't deserve to have his name in the same sentence of the greatest SS of all time.

Derek Jeter. Learn how to respect.

WT flyin' **** are you taking about now?? Man, you know what your deal is -- you only skim posts for key words and then formulate opinions on what you think you just read, not what guys actually write...2nd or 3rd time now on this thread alone...And what's up with the nastiness?!? 'Profoundly retarded"?!? LMAO. Are you f'in kidding me?? FU JAGOFF! Wake up, pay attention and stop reading with one eye closed -- I gave Jeter and his organization respect in drawing the correlation by insinuating Jeter's worth it AND that the Yanks gave him the time he needed to heal and that they would never even think of rushing him back, or any player for that matter, from an injury of any kind...Do me a favor brah, either take the time to actually read what people are saying and then formulate a relevant, thought-out response or don't bother responding anymore. Half the time I don't even know WTF you're talking about...You made your feelings known on Mills already. Gotcha. You're on the record. Move on now..

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
The problem is

You're not writing much. You been replying to your own thread repeated yourself. Like a child in need of attention.

I have no feelings for Mills, he's irrelevant to life like he is to the NBA.

You been publicly sucking Mills dick, and its been a disgusting site.

Stop it, stop spamming this forum with this shitty thread and your gay post glorifying a 3rd string fragile PG.

Go get a GF. You spent too much time of your life on a man who has a female name.

finestrg

Rotation player
The problem is

You're not writing much. You been replying to your own thread repeated yourself. Like a child in need of attention.

I have no feelings for Mills, he's irrelevant to life like he is to the NBA.

You been publicly sucking Mills dick, and its been a disgusting site.

Stop it, stop spamming this forum with this shitty thread and your gay post glorifying a 3rd string fragile PG.

Go get a GF. You spent too much time of your life on a man who has a female name.

Possibly the most juvenile post I've ever read in my entire life, on any message board anywhere..LMAO..I'm not gonna even bother reponding other than to ask this question, which I've been wondering about since your first response: whose dick did you suck to get that 13 Rep Power? That's a mystery to me, because honestly, not only do you conduct yourself like a buffoon but you have nothing insightful to say. Ever.. Let me ask you this know-it-all: If Mills is so irrelevant, than why did Alan Hahn mention his name on the pre-game show and even spend a good 20 secs talking about this situation with his Chinese team specifically? Oh right, because he's irrelevant...GTFOH you idiot! Hahn put up a list of available FAs that could help an NBA team right now and Mills' name was on it..He even talked about Mills being a good fit for the Thunder, now that they lost Maynor...Hahn spend a whole segment on this topic. Guess you missed it coloring in your coloring book or something.. Time to go sit at the kiddy table fella and pipe down. You're annoying me now.

metrocard

Legend
Alan Hahn isn't the NBA.

The only dick sucking going on around here is you on Mills, congrats on being the 2nd homosexual poster on KOL. Don't stress out about my 13 rep power, its just a forum.

You're catching feelings, its affecting you. You're insults are 0/10. Just stop trying and go back to licking Mills nuts. It's embarrassing bro. Way to be known for good as Mill's cum sock. Sucio. :lol: