LAC To NYK: Davis Thrilled To Be A Knick After Hate In LA

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Baron Davis is nobody's savior. That much, Knicks fans, needs to be made clear right at the start.

Baron-Knicks.jpg

The Clippers deemed him an albatross. The Cavaliers decided he was amnesty worthy. And now New York -- which is sorely missing Chauncey Billups after deciding to amnesty the veteran point guard in order to pair sign Tyson Chandler -- is holding out hope that a 32-year-old whose back is still at least a month away from letting him hit the floor again can come to the rescue. The Knicks' 3-4 start means the seat under Mike D'Antoni is getting hotter by the day, and a starting backcourt of Toney Douglas and Landry Fields means the coach has no one to run the up-tempo offense he was hoping to revive.

Or does he?

Davis, who signed with the Knicks on Dec. 19 after clearing the league's amnesty waiver wire, isn't shying away from this challenge. And as he recently spoke of his new scenery and the unlikely role of a Knicks hero that could come with it, his fearless face lit up in the sort of convincing way that made you wonder if this could become a surprise story of the 2011-12 campaign.

Maybe he can return to "We Believe" form, dominating and distributing with an aggressive style that electrified Golden State fans during the Warriors' memorable playoff run in 2007. Maybe all those lessons learned in New Orleans will pay off in the twilight of his career, with a peaceful and potent Davis playing with the sort of spirited style we haven't seen from him in recent years.

KNICKS-articleLarge.jpg

"There's an excitement here, a willingness to be together and everybody has bought in," Davis said. "For me, really this is the first time in my career where all I've got to do is come in and be a point guard. This is a team, man. It's been a while since I was on a team that's all about team, and with a coaching staff that has a commitment to team and playing the best basketball. ... It's a chance to have a clean slate and not be judged, and to have the right opportunity with the right people I believe in."

In other words, it's everything his Clippers experience was not.

297199360-19185151.jpg

After signing a five-year, $65 million deal in 2008, he spent most of his two-plus seasons there pegged as an underachieving and disinterested has-been. His weight was constantly questioned by fans and coaches alike, with some citing sheer laziness as the cause while Davis pointed to the cyst behind his left knee that had been a problem ever since he had surgery in 2007. Acrimony led to absurdity in December 2010, when it was reported that Clippers owner Donald Sterling was routinely heckling Davis for his poor play during his team's home games.

r-BARON-DAVIS-KNICKS-large570.jpg

Davis, who was traded to Cleveland midway through last season before being amnestied to make way for No. 1 pick Kyrie Irving, said he chose not to speak out at the time with the hopes that his time there would improve.

"Whether it's fair or unfair, I had to deal with a lot," Davis said. "I learned how to be patient with myself, to not act out. Usually you fight fire with fire, and I'm used to fighting fire with fire throughout my whole career. But for the first time in my career, I didn't say anything. I was just quiet and just weathered the storm.

"There were times when I would second-guess myself as a basketball player. There were times as a person where I wanted to do things that probably would have put things in a compromising position or probably would have really given me a bad image ... and I withstood a lot."

His numbers dipped drastically from his Warriors days, and the Clippers were a combined 69-153 in his season and a half there. As if the injury wasn't enough, Davis spent most of his time with the Clippers dealing with the illness of the beloved grandmother who raised him. Lela "Madea" Nicholson passed away in early March while Davis was with the Cavaliers.

"She was dying," Davis said. "For the last few years with the Clippers, you didn't know. You're sitting there waiting for that phone call or you get a phone call and she's in the hospital and she might not make it and you're stuck on the road playing.

"You're playing knowing that your favorite person in the world is going to die, and then you're playing in a situation where you're not the most liked person in the organization."

When the Clippers drafted Blake Griffin with the top pick out of Oklahoma in 2009, it was supposed to give Davis a new lease on life in L.A. with newly hired coach, Vinny Del Negro. But Davis' knee continued to bother him and the duo never developed like the Clippers' brass had hoped.

"I didn't have any problem with Baron," Del Negro insisted this week. "I got along with Baron fine. [The trade to Cleveland] was just a decision we made as an organization to move in a different direction, and we had an opportunity to do that at the time.

"We knew he had some health issues, and he wasn't able to get out there and perform because of his health issues."

But there were perceived psychological issues to go with the physical, as Clippers officials were perpetually frustrated by what they saw as a lack of genuine effort on Davis' part.

"Baron is a special player when he's engaged," Del Negro said. "And when we have such a young team and we're trying to move this thing in a more positive direction, it just made everything a little bit more difficult.

Davis has nothing but good memories from his short time in Cleveland. He understood that Cavs' decision and cherished the chance to fix what was broken between him and coach Byron Scott. The two constantly tussled during Davis' early years in New Orleans, and Davis was determined to prove to Scott that he had changed.

knicks-sign-baron-davis.jpg

"I wrote him a letter when I was with the Clippers just apologizing to him," Davis said. "To have the opportunity to go out there and to play for him at no matter what percentage I was [health-wise] was great. He knew I gave maximum effort and we formed a bond.

"Even though Kyrie was the No. 1 pick, I was ready to do whatever I needed to do because I was happy playing basketball and being in a situation where an organization, team, coaching staff, players supported me rather than pointing fingers at me and using me as a scapegoat."

No one in L.A. is lamenting much of anything these days. The trade for Chris Paul has ushered in an unprecedented era in hype and expectations for the Clippers. Davis, of course, is hoping to create some buzz of his own when he finally joins the Knicks.

"I could write a whole book about that [Clippers] experience, but I'll just put it behind me," Davis said. "I think the Clippers are better for it and good things are happening to them now. I would say that I was the sacrificial lamb. Everything I went through, I was the sacrificial lamb."

A great and very insightful read.

This is going to quickly become a very captivating story within the organization.

I already am basking in anticipation just thinking what he's capable of with ShuMVPert in our back court, combining with our limitless front court.

It's an eloquently put together article, but whether or not we bite on the hype it provides remains to be truly determined by the way he fits in on both ends off an injury.

His will be one of the most interesting parts of a season already filled with pain and promise at the same time.

GOOD LUCK, B Diddy!

For your sake and for ours.

Some good info, things that I didn't know before.

Tough situation with his grandma....I know how it feels like to unexpectedly lose someone who's close to you...

Looks like he's found a new home in New York and that can do wonders at times. Let's hope he can retrieve his (remaining) potential!

Go Baron!

Wargames

Starter
I honestly think he is going to be great here. A lot of his lost potential was due to him zoning out more to the psychological side effects of everything. He wanted to go to the clippers to play with Brand and then Brand bounced. Then the family stuff and then sterling being an asshole didn't help and even then he didnt suck he just wasn't playing at his peak. But dude was a major part of Blake Griffin and D'eandre Jordan seeing success with "Lob City" and We saw how he was able to pick apart teams defenses from the PG position. So If this current momentum continues he won't be a "savior" but he could be a major piece.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Thanks for posting! Very good read.

Reading about Boom Dizzle's grandma almost put a tear in my eye. I can only imagine how sad it is not to be there while the person who raised you is dying. I got Baron's back and I'm gonna pray for a quick recovery.

Can't wait until we get to face the Clips. Go KNICKS!

CoolClyde

Baron Von Davis to the Rescue

"There's an excitement here, a willingness to be together and everybody has bought in," Davis said. "For me, really this is the first time in my career where all I've got to do is come in and be a point guard. This is a team, man. It's been a while since I was on a team that's all about team, and with a coaching staff that has a commitment to team and playing the best basketball. ... It's a chance to have a clean slate and not be judged, and to have the right opportunity with the right people I believe in."

that's all I need to hear. the man looks like he's in shape, he's pumped to be
part of the Knicks and bask in the limelight of NYC as a much-needed PG.

great read, thanks as usual to loco ochos for the mofo info.

Knowing we have Baron waiting in the wings has made this whole Toney Douglas ordeal alittle more durable.. Knowing that it will eventually be over...

Eman

Benchwarmer
Now with Mike Bibby finally finding his groove these past two games, the Guard position is looking bright.

New New York

Quiet Storm
hated the move intially, until I was shown how well he played with the Cavs

The knock on him has been disinterest and being out of shape, neither seems to be the case

BD has been trying to be a Knick since the year we signed Marbuary, I can remember watching PTI when they talked about it, I remember when he signed with LAC Chris Broussard saying "Baron Davis really wants to be a Knick" basically stating that The LAC move was somewhat of a settlement

My point is, that he seems up for the task!

A point not stated in that article that I think will make a world of a difference is that BD is not expected to be the leader of this team, he is expected to have a major role, but not be the face of the team and the main locker room presence, that to me is M-A-J-O-R!

He will have players who he knows and respect to hold him accountable

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The thing is I think at this time I think Baron might even take over the leadership role.

This is a guy who has been to the playoffs and was part of a team that proved its haters wrong when they upset the LOLMAVS in the first round of the postseason. That garners you respect.

Honestly I don't blame him for his time in LA, how would you feel if you were at work and working on a programming assignment or a coding assignment and your boss just yelled "you suck!" over your shoulder.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
A point not stated in that article that I think will make a world of a difference is that BD is not expected to be the leader of this team, he is expected to have a major role, but not be the face of the team and the main locker room presence, that to me is M-A-J-O-R!

He will have players who he knows and respect to hold him accountable

That is a big deal he's literally gonna have to just play D(he's a way better defender than he gets credit for), create plays for everybody Amare and Chandler are gonna flourish with him, and occasionally score.

When he gets back to 100% and in full game shape I wouldn't be surprised if he's top 5 or so in assists for the year he really is still one of the best passers in the league regardless of what anybody else says, his assists lead to more dunks and lay ups than even Nash or Rondo.