Shumpert's Stats Soaring Significantly

KingCharles34

All Star
Spree >> Starks

half of starks is what Landry Fields should be but instead he's more like one fourth or maybe even one eigth

I believe Shump will at least be better then starks but not as good as Sprewell. Its tough to say, Spree had alotta clutch moments. He was an above average shooter, a very good slasher, and a great defender. He also knew how to play a team game. We missed the most athletic Sprewell, he was amazing with the Warriors. Looking back i wonder how we woulda done against the Bulls with a young Sprewell guarding MJ. Starks defense was good but Spree was more athletic and woulda had dunks on MJ, not just the dunk

Sage

Rotation player
Spree >> Starks

half of starks is what Landry Fields should be but instead he's more like one fourth or maybe even one eigth

I believe Shump will at least be better then starks but not as good as Sprewell. Its tough to say, Spree had alotta clutch moments. He was an above average shooter, a very good slasher, and a great defender. He also knew how to play a team game. We missed the most athletic Sprewell, he was amazing with the Warriors. Looking back i wonder how we woulda done against the Bulls with a young Sprewell guarding MJ. Starks defense was good but Spree was more athletic and woulda had dunks on MJ, not just the dunk

It always burns me that we picked Hubert Davis instead of Spree. That team would have been killer.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I'll judge him after 66 games of regular season and playoffs (if me make the playoffs). Last year Fields started hot too and we all saw how he finished.

I think his rooke stats will be 12 ppg 2.5 rebs 2.5 as 1.5 stl 40% shooting.

Yea he playing good so far and I think he should continue starting even when BD gets healthy at the 2, but I'm not gonna be jumping on this guys bandwagon so soon.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
WTF? It's turned in to a Starks war in here! :lol:

Don't see the comparison AT ALL. Height and position and defensive mindset only.

Shump is 10 times the passer Starks ever was, and is clearly less likely to have a mental breakdown.

Shan't we get back on track, gents?

Shump has a big gig ahead of him against Holiday tomorrow. 2 very adept defenders going hard at one another will be interesting.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Spree >> Starks

i like the way you evaluate players mostly kingstarbury. i think you overrate marbury, but usually i agree w your assessments as w the one above. For my money:Spree> Shump>Starks.

Shumpert kinda reminds me of a more athletic, more poised for his age cross between Gary Payton n Chauncey Billups. he's quickly becoming my fav Knick. dude is an absolute stud defender!! shump defends w swag. y'all see the way he stripped Augustine on that one fast break where he made em fall down.. he kinda telegraphed and like karate-chop- stripped em.. it was so well-timed n nonchalant. he has tremendous natural feel on the defensive end n the atheleticism to make awesome things happen. he doesnt play w his arms gets his chest into his man n moves laterally EXTREMELY well. n he has powerful, quick hands. luv this kid! so impressed w him.

to the dude who said Shump is much more athletic than Spree.. smh. not MUCH more dude. they r comparable in this regard. when Spree was on Goldenstate he was a friggin beast...

n i think what Red meant was that Shump will surpass Starks. i dont think he was tryin ta knock ole John boy. that said, when i was young i really didnt have that much respect for Starkie. I was a Bulls fan as i grew up w basketball n Jordan used to just toy w him.. had the poor man on a string on many an occasion (as w most guys but John got absolutely no mercy from MJ)... then The Dunk happened n i looked at him a lil differently from then on. but basically he was a average- gd player who overachieved at times/periods in his career. He really benefited from playing w Patrick.

i like the comparison of Starks to Fields. Fields looks like he doesnt belong in the nba some nights not unlike Starks at times throughout his career. but they both play hard n give their all. i think Fields questions himself at times as to whether he really can play in the league. his confidence is in the toilet right now. Starks had to go thru that type ish too.

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
Oh damn Shump vs Spree in terms of athleticism...thats a tough one. Spree was a beast in GS

Shumperts an absolute beast on defense, his reflexes are amazing. Hes got great hand speed, there was a play at the end of the game last night where i think breen thought someone on the bobcats made a pass while they were being doubled by two knicks (one of them being shumpert). I thought it looked like he poked the ball away which we've seen him do several times already.

While i do consider Marbury to be a better point guard then Magic Johnson, i thank you for liking some of my other opinions.

And i think your on point about Fields too, his biggest problem is his confidence. Hes a talented player that can rebound, pass, and shoot. He can also get to the rim, hes got all the tools...It hurts my soul that he cant even average 10 points a game. I like that GP and Billups comparison too with Shumpert

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Iman is why I get excited watching the Knicks this year. I love his game, energy and potential. The sky is the limit for this dude and I saw it from draft night when I compared him to Wade. At this point his trajectory looks more like that of Arenas minus the personal issue and injuries. :)crossfingers:) Add in some Payton on the ball defense and we are set for years with this steal at 17.

Last edited:

unloopme

Benchwarmer
... Sorry If I won't hope that he becomes half the player that those guys were. He is much more athletic than Spree, with the intangibles that Starks had. He can be something really special... half of starks or spree doesnt even crack the surface.
Figure of speech man, considering how good those guys were for the franchise.

I have to agree with the others that his frame, athleticism, defense, etc...more closely resembles Sprewell. But as KingStarbury pointed out, Sprewell was a DAMN good shooter, and clutch as hell too. So time will tell if Shump can match that...we can all hope he does.

Sprewell is/was and always will be better than Shumpert, unless Shump becomes the second Gary Payton :thumbsup:

Sprewell in Golden State was a top 3 shooting guard in the league at that time....he made ALL-NBA First Team, All-Defensive Team and is a 4 times All-Star.

18.3 ppg and 1.4 spg on average for his career.

24.2 ppg, 6.3 apg and 4.7 rpg and 1.7 spg in his most productive season.

Spree is one of the all-time most underrated players. That guy had HOF-potential in him, but different circumstances prevented him from fulfilling his promise!

Still, he had a great career and is one of my all time favourite Knicks, in fact my favourite Knick from the era I've watched (I wasn't born in the 70's when Clyde, Earl and Willis played).

In todays NBA the Golden State version of Spree could produce D-Wade like numbers imo.