Carmelo on pace to hoist 200+ 3-pointers in 66 games

mafra

Legend
Knicks are 20-28 since Camarshmello arrived. Denver is 31-16.

Carmelo Anthony has attempted 196 3-point shots in 42 games since arriving in NY, & playing in this SSOL (Shoot a 3 offense). He's 76-196 (38% from downtown). Carmelo is a career 32% shooter from 3-point range (& is shooting 32% exactly this season; 23-71).

SEVENTY-ONE 3s in 15 games?

He's on pace to hoist up at 200 3-point attempts this SHORTENED season. Carmelo normally takes about 170 3-pointers a season.

I know it would be easy to blame the coach. And, sure, D'antoni deserves plenty of blame. I mean, last night against DEN when Stoudemire takes ZERO shots in the 3rd quarter, 4 quarter, first OT... A real coach would call a timeout at some point and draw up a play for the big ALL-STAR PF. DEMAND he gets the ball.

But coach gives these millionaire NBA players the freedom to do as they please, so ultimately the players should be responsible for the decisions they make. While I'm no fan of the SSOL system, b/c I prefer quality over quantity & I hate relying on the low % shot. I do admit, the only way to run this system is to have a PG dominate the ball and make all the decisions. He should decide who shoots & when.

BUT BACK TO THE POINT. Allowing a player like Carmelo all the freedom is a terrible thing. It's evident in his game since coming to NY. You have to compel him to work for his points. POST UP players, drive often, get to FT line. Carmelo should have played close to the basket all night against DEN. Use his strenght in the blocks. Instead he got lazy and chucked up 8 3s (1-7).

It's no wonder he got hot in the 4th when he drove it 3 consecutive times, for 6 points. We tie it, then he goes back to playing 20 feet away from the basket.

The Knicks are 3rd in the NBA in 3-point attempts per game (23). The Knicks are tied for 23rd (with WAS) in the NBA in 3-point shootng % (.307) this season.

I could write off the Carmelo situation, chalking it up to CA getting used to playing w/ Amar'e. Maybe he's giving STAT the paint. I could even say he's a perimeter player now, a point forward, b/c we currently have no PG.

But this goes beyond CA. For a team that lacks any real shooter, there's NO way we should be shooting 23 3s a game. NO WAY.

Douglas was shot 9 3s last night. Carmelo shot 7. Amar'e took 9 shots total (2 of them 3s).

Carmelo shot 7 3s last night, but only 6 free throws. Gallo shot 3 3s last night, but took 20 free throws.

iSaYughh

Starter
Good informative post.

But the primary contention (or gripe?) of Melo and those 196 shots.....is somewhat blunted, by his 38%, no?

Yes, it is quantity -- and too much -- but there's also quality.

Melo shouldn't be taking that many, regardless, I agree. But that's a byproduct of not having a true shooter with range on the team (which, almost every contending has...and at least one).

And the offense running through Melo,

which you so correctly point can be corrected, and truly fixed, simply by having a starting NBA point guard on the team.

Melo's issues of offensive stagnation, "ball hogging", and simply doing what he wants for himself on the court were as much a problem in DEN, as they have been here.

Arguably, however, but running an attractive, free flowing, up tempo system -- of course, highlighted by having an actual PG you can trust run it and bringing the ball up -- you could have Melo get his points and do his thing, *without* running into the same problems he had in DEN, with Billups and that DEN offense.

KingofNy

Starter
If Knicks need a true PG, why hasn't Dolan traded for one yet? How many games are we going to lose waiting for Davis to come back? Most of the reports I read say Davis isn't even close to coming back. He's been able to shoot, run and jump for awhile but that he can't take ANY contact whatsoever. That sounds like a problem. If we're forced to keep D'Antoni, we need a true PG now.

Last edited:

KingofNy

Starter
^^ No valuable pieces to send away and no cap room to drop someone and sign an FA...

We have the 2.5M exemption. It's about time we use it imo. I know we're waiting for the players from overseas, but who know's if or when they're coming back and also if they'll want to play here for 2.5m.

Baron Davis needs to be an afterthought in my opinion for him to work. He can't be our savior. He's going to end up trying to do too much and hurt his back. Watch I bet you it happens. I dunno man, I'm just looking for solutions other the standard Fire D'Antoni which doesn't look like is happening anytime soon.

Also, how long have we been ONE PLAYER SHORT? That's been D'Antoni's excuse since he's been here. I just want him to have a real PG so we can hurry up and fire his @ss when we still lose.

fender0577

Rotation player
Also, how long have we been ONE PLAYER SHORT? That's been D'Antoni's excuse since he's been here. I just want him to have a real PG so we can hurry up and fire his @ss when we still lose.
LMAO, preach on, iv'e been saying the same thing.How many excuses will we give this guy, next it's going to be he needs MIKE JORDAN and SHAQ for his SSOL to be effective.Please.