Carmelo: 'Maybe I should shoot less?'

KBlack25

Starter
Dude. Don't front about a player you know so little about, bc it just makes what he did to us, and that he will continue to improve, even worse.

I'm not trying to punk you, but it is what it is. Lotta people obv didn't understand Gallo when he was a Knick, and some still don't. Who really cares, since he doesn't even play here anymore...but let's just stop the bullshit. It was bad enough when Gallo *was* a Knick. Let it stop now that he is gone.

He is one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA. Kind of extra-important too, if you have a team with a "superstar(s)" on it.

.370%+ career 3pt shooter.

Above average rebounder.

Elite passer (and not just his assist numbers, but quality of passes).

Intelligent.

Not turnover prone.

Superb slasher.

.850%+ FT shooter.

Plays good defense, with good effort.

23 years old.

He has a 20+ PER this year despite shooting from behind the arc at a clip .6 below his career numbers.

Just don't front so much about the guy. There's no need anymore, he doesn't play here.

Never got a fair shake. There were people on this board that literally said he was bad b/c he was Mike D'Antoni's godson. And they said this totally seriously, a completely ridiculous argument.

I mentioned this before, but a lot of people critical of Gallinari also happened to be on "Team Starbury" who hated MDA's decision to sever ties with Stephon Marbury - is it any wonder that these same people said that Gallinari sucks b/c he's MDA's godson?

If Danillo Gallinari wasn't an MDA guy, wasn't related to MDA, same player same everything he gets a ton more props from a lot of people. And now that we lost him hopefully people can see what he was the whole time: a solid player that's getting better.

iSaYughh

Starter
Never got a fair shake. There were people on this board that literally said he was bad b/c he was Mike D'Antoni's godson. And they said this totally seriously, a completely ridiculous argument.

I mentioned this before, but a lot of people critical of Gallinari also happened to be on "Team Starbury" who hated MDA's decision to sever ties with Stephon Marbury - is it any wonder that these same people said that Gallinari sucks b/c he's MDA's godson?

If Danillo Gallinari wasn't an MDA guy, wasn't related to MDA, same player same everything he gets a ton more props from a lot of people. And now that we lost him hopefully people can see what he was the whole time: a solid player that's getting better.

Yep. Look at the people who have disliked MDA the most (from the very beginning)...same who hurled equally as damning critiques upon Gallo.

I see both situations being pretty similar. Obv the superficiality of the critiques are very different (coach vs player), but they are also remarkably similar in how the critiques began, and how they were constructed and developed.

Don't discount the Euro factor, either. And that Chandler had a lotta KO crushes.

KingCharles34

All Star
Why do people have so much vitriol and hate towards Danillo Gallinari?

I will admit I hate him for reasons that are not very good. I guess i got tired of Knicks fans rooting for Denver when hes over there talking about how we shouldnt have made the trade. Even though its true he doesnt have to rub it in, and Im so fed up with the Knicks vs Denver comparisons I see on ESPN, NBATV, etc. ever since we made the Melo trade. But I cant lie, i was rooting for Denver not too long ago. It just all caught up with me I suppose...

As a player hes very solid, hes versatile and Id say an average defender in my opinion. We could use more average defenders on this current team, Melo and stat are below average to me. With Stat its because he doesnt know how to play defense, with Melo its because he often forgets or doesnt care to play defense.

CA7

Scoring Champ
You guys are saying he should get better shot selection but let me ask you this, who is setting him up to get better shots every time he touches the ball he's 20 feet away with his back to the basket and 8 seconds left on the shot clock what the hell do you expect him to do right there

Sage

Rotation player
You guys are saying he should get better shot selection but let me ask you this, who is setting him up to get better shots every time he touches the ball he's 20 feet away with his back to the basket and 8 seconds left on the shot clock what the hell do you expect him to do right there

Yah this is what I was saying earlier. You're right, the offense needs to improve. By the time the clock gets to 8 seconds, that's plenty of time to have passed the ball around or run a simplistic play to get a decent look at the basket. But we're just getting into our offense by that stage, which is "Give Melo the ball".

If D'antoni analyses a tape ever, he'd see that pushing the ball and passing it around works. He's just got to get his players doing that.

P.S. KingStarbury3, who's the weird naked chick in your sig?

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The fact that this team takes 24 seconds to hoist up a terrible 3-pointer is a pretty simple sign that nobody on this team, from the coaching staff down to the players, has anything even remotely resembling a game plan whatsoever.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Yah this is what I was saying earlier. You're right, the offense needs to improve. By the time the clock gets to 8 seconds, that's plenty of time to have passed the ball around or run a simplistic play to get a decent look at the basket. But we're just getting into our offense by that stage, which is "Give Melo the ball".

If D'antoni analyses a tape ever, he'd see that pushing the ball and passing it around works. He's just got to get his players doing that.

P.S. KingStarbury3, who's the weird naked chick in your sig?

The fact that this team takes 24 seconds to hoist up a terrible 3-pointer is a pretty simple sign that nobody on this team, from the coaching staff down to the players, has anything even remotely resembling a game plan whatsoever.

This is where having a strong minded PG(Rondo, CP3) or a respected coach(Phil, Pop) gets his team to play his way. Melo and STAT are scorer, Melo is defending better than usual this year, STAT isn't. Melo has always had a great NBA caliber PG with him, Andre Miller and Chauncey Billups control their team, they tell guys what to do.

We need Shumpert to take on that role, similar to how Rondo didn't take over the Boston 3 until they said to him, yell at us, tell us what to do. We lack leadership from PG and Coaching, Tyson leads us on the defensive end so thats a plus, Melo can lead us on the offensive end if set up better.

If you dont have a system where you dont need a point guard(triangle), a PG who can make everyone better(Nash, James) or a coach who can adjust to anything and get his players to do what he wants(Phil, Pop)

We lack one of the 3, we actually lack a few pieces that our CS and FO doesn't see and need to get.

If Orlando trades D12 before the deadline I wanna make a move for JJ Redick, I also wanna go after Ramon Sessions and Kenyon Martin.

Guys like Toney Douglas, Jared Jeffries, Mike Bibby and Renaldo Balkman should be moved to make way for these 3 guys.

Dolan doesn't have a basketball mind, he doesn't understand how to put pieces together who can function properly and fluidly. Star power isn't everything but it still important.

G- Baron Davis/Ramon Sessions
G- Iman Shumpert/JJ Redick(interchangeable)
F- Carmelo Anthony/Landry Fields
F- Amar'e Stoudemire/Kenyon Martin
C- Tyson Chandler/Josh Harrellson

Others- Billy Walker, Jerome Jordan, Jeremy Lin, Steve Novak

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Gallinari is shit. He was not a team player and his shooting ability was/is average at best. So he had a good game. The potential the knicks have at the moment beats anything they would have had pre-trade.

Wow.. Just wow at the ignorance expressed here. "Gallinari is shit", Okay guy..

I'm going to revoke the word shit and replace it with 'nothing special', cos that's exactly what he is: Nothing special. I must have got a tad bit aggravated with the illogical pre-trade nostalgia that surrounds us today.

You didn't know what you were talking about in your first nonsensical post re Gallo. Don't try to clean it up after the fact.

nyk_nyk

All Star
lol I know, right. Anthony is a bigtime ballhog. I'm looking to see him take no more than 16 shots per game. He needs to learn what the word pass means.

I understand that Antoni wants him to jack up shots, but he needs to know when to stop.

Wow! Does the coach have no responsibility in all this? Melo hasn't changed his game. Why do you all of a sudden expect that to happen now? All this Melo needs to learn and Melo should do this is getting old. Some of you guys are the same people who claimed Amare couldn't be a better defender because he's never been one.

If Antoni wants the offense to look a certain way then they practice it and during games if anyone isn't adhering to the gameplan they sit. Simple! Give me a coach who has the players' ear and holds people accountable and we will improve. Karl made it work for years so what's the problem now???

Back in 2008, HOU lost their best player (Yao) and went on to win 22 straight! That team played half court offense and featured Yao but coach Adleman had to adjust to a more up tempo style to fit the players he had to work with. Also, T-Mac was in and out of the lineup with a nagging foot injury. THIS is what Antoni fails to be able to do. Putting players in position to be successful. Nash did this for years and it earned Antoni the "offensive genius" moniker. Fukk outta here!

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
LOL @ franchise player making commitments...

@alanhahn: Meanwhile, Melo downplayed his post game melancholy from Sat nite. Said he was being hard on himself. #Knicks

TakMan

Rotation player
Wow.. Just wow at the ignorance expressed here. "Gallinari is shit", Okay guy..

You didn't know what you were talking about in your first nonsensical post re Gallo. Don't try to clean it up after the fact.

Gallinari was shooting around 42% while he was a Knick. His assist rate is a remarkable 1.6 pg (career) and he grabs fewer rebounds than our current SG does. He was part of the Knicks worst ever defensive setup, and (much like Dwyane Wade), loved to force a foul during a drive gone wrong (which was more often than not). He's built for European style basketball which makes me extremely pleased that he's no longer part of the Knicks franchise.