What is stopping Jim Dolan from firing D'antoni?

knicksin60

Starter
Once again a team that has a lot of talent on their roster and overpaid stars are the laughing stock of the NBA.What a joke it has been to watch this team lose by double digits to every team that plays in the NBA on a nightly basis.The worst part about having to go through all of this is that this team had the highest expectations to win since the 90's Knicks teams had.You would think that a team with 3 star players would at least be competitive and be an 8th seeded team at worst, but no matter who they play and where they play they're the weaker team on the floor who falls behind in the game and ends up losing. I really feel like I'm watching a team that has a 90% chance of losing every game.The Knicks could be going up against the Liberty and I just know that once they fall behind they're losing big.

Is this a punishment from the basketball gods for the way the Knicks front office treated Donnie Walsh? Was the Layden and Isiah fiasco a punishment for the way the Knicks organization treated Patrick Ewing? It seems like the Knicks are a cursed franchise like the Clippers have been for most of their existence.It's like there is a dark cloud above them that doesn't want to vanish.Doesn't matter what the Knicks do, whether they try to draft the right players or whether they try to trade players and sign free agents or bring in hall of fame coaches, everything that they do seems to work against them.Has there ever been a franchise who's played in a big market, who's had a great fanbase, who's tried to do everything possible to be competitive but has failed miserably at it by letting down their fans and embarrassing themselves the way the Knicks have for the past 11 years?

I've always felt that the only person who could influence Mike D'antoni to get fired is David Stern.James Dolan doesn't have the testerone to fire this putrid bum of a man nor does he lose any sleep everytime the Knicks go deeper and deeper into irrelevance.The NBA has to stop allowing these wealthy owners, who know little to nothing about putting together a winning team and about basketball and who just look at NBA franchises as one of many money making commodities, to own these teams that so many die hard fans pay to support.

If I go into a five star restaurant and I am served food that is poisoned or of bad quality I would either sue the restaurant or ask for my money back. If I order an Apple computer online and the delivery person brings me a Dell I would either send that computer back so that they would give me exactly what I ordered or I would demand my money back.If people pay thousands of dollars a season to watch a team and that team underacheives tremendously either major changes have to be made from the front office/coaches down to the players or people should be entitiled to receiving every penny that they put into that team.One of the things that makes American capitalism look bad is how the prices of season tickets, concessions and products relating to the Knicks increase so that a multi billion dollar owner could have our money in order to pay 80 million dollars to a player who doesn't know the concept of team basektball, 80 million dollars to a player who is softer than Rebecca Lobo on the defensive end of the floor and 24 million dollars to a coach who gained a reputation because of a future hall of fame PG on his team and who has the lowest IQ when it comes to coaching.

The longer the Knicks go with this coach the worse things are going to get for them and the less likely that any good coach would want to coach them.Mike D'antoni had more than enough time to prove that he is an average at best coach but the Knicks are just as bad as they were when Isiah Thomas was fired. Jim Dolan has to listen to the fans and make the right decision.If Mike D'antoni isn't going to be here after next season there is no sense in holding on to him for the remainder of the season.At least if he was fired now we would be able to see how the Knicks would perform under Mike Woodson.Sure it took Woodson several years for him to have success in Atlanta but he has a track record of motivating his players to play for him and it wouldn't hurt the Knicks to give him a half a season trial as interim coach.And I feel that Woodson is more suited to coach this roster than D'antoni is.

There are several reasons why Dolan hasn't fired D'antoni.Either he doesn't want to pay 6 million dollars to a person that isn't working under him, he understands that D'antoni needs a legit PG in order to succeed and is waiting to see how D'antoni would do with Baron Davis, he is unaware that D'antoni is the main reason why the Knicks have been playing poorly, he just doesn't care about the Knicks woes or he just wants the Knicks to fail.But whatever reason it is he needs to wake up and fire this coach or he needs to sell this team.

Last edited:

CoolClyde

i don't think it's just about the Knicks winning, when you have an owner who cares more about the bottom line, it's whether the corporate accounts are buying a majority of the tickets, which is a given each and every year, whether the Rangers and/or Knicks are winning, which brings in a tad more money, and how the concerts and concessions are doing. this owner cares more about making friends with people like Zeke, having his picture taken with his stars, and making sure his corporate people are happy (ie $3/4 billion MSG makeover paid for by the fans). there are enough threads and websites that tell you what D'oh-lan has done since taking over, the restrictions he places on coaches and players, how many have left because of him and his overbearing ways (VanGundy, Brown, Sprewell, Camby), etc.

it all starts at the top. we have a clueless owner, a pawn in Glen Grunwald who has no balls, gumption, or power to fire Antoni, and eventually a superstar team with D'oh-lans footprints all over it. i've never seen a professional franchise blown up as many times over this last decade, starting from scratch with Starbury, Penny, Zebo, Crawfish, STAT, Melo, Chandler etc. it's always, wait wait wait for LeBron, for Melo, for CP3, for Baron von Hernia, instead of keeping the pieces that work (DLEE) and building a winning franchise. this is the type of corporate mentality, as opposed to a basketball mentality, this team has gone through in the D'oh-lan years.

shizzee

Benchwarmer
maybe he see MDA as Tom Coughlin. Just when you think he needs go he carries the team to the promise land. but we know Melo or Stat is no Elie

unloopme

Benchwarmer
I used to wonder the same thing about Isiah. I would always tell people that Zeke must have some photos or some shit on Dolan and farm animal sex, for him to have stuck around so long. Dolan didn't even flinch after paying out $11.6 mil to that Anucha trick. 'Antoni must have found a secret stash that 'ol Zeke left behind and is using the same leverage. Just a theory. :cool:

New New York

Quiet Storm
You know why Dolan hired Isiah?....because everyone told him it was a bad idea

You know why Dolan supported Isiah so much....to prove that he was right about him!

Why did Isiah get an extension the day after Steve Francis throws in that free throw, to prove that the ultimatum he put to Isiah worked!

Dolan forced a trade to happen that from what I have read Dantoni and Walsh were against, I imagine is some sort of bizare way Dolan would view firing Dantoni as validation to that trade not being a smart move!

If we have learned anything about Dolan is this....the man is stubborn and above all is a walking talking Rubic's Cube!

If I had to take a guess Dantoni will not be fired until we are mathmatically eliminated fron the playoffs!

fender0577

Rotation player
If I had to take a guess Dantoni will not be fired until we are mathmatically eliminated fron the playoffs![/QUOTE]Good, that won't be long then.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
You know why Dolan hired Isiah?....because everyone told him it was a bad idea

You know why Dolan supported Isiah so much....to prove that he was right about him!

Why did Isiah get an extension the day after Steve Francis throws in that free throw, to prove that the ultimatum he put to Isiah worked!

Dolan forced a trade to happen that from what I have read Dantoni and Walsh were against, I imagine is some sort of bizare way Dolan would view firing Dantoni as validation to that trade not being a smart move!

If we have learned anything about Dolan is this....the man is stubborn and above all is a walking talking Rubic's Cube!

If I had to take a guess Dantoni will not be fired until we are mathmatically eliminated fron the playoffs!

Please remove D'Antoni's name from this post. Who gives half a shit about what he wants?

The Knicks were 28-26 when that trade happened, 2 games above .500....he has no say in anything.

Paul1355

All Star
i don't think it's just about the Knicks winning, when you have an owner who cares more about the bottom line, it's whether the corporate accounts are buying a majority of the tickets, which is a given each and every year, whether the Rangers and/or Knicks are winning, which brings in a tad more money, and how the concerts and concessions are doing. this owner cares more about making friends with people like Zeke, having his picture taken with his stars, and making sure his corporate people are happy (ie $3/4 billion MSG makeover paid for by the fans). there are enough threads and websites that tell you what D'oh-lan has done since taking over, the restrictions he places on coaches and players, how many have left because of him and his overbearing ways (VanGundy, Brown, Sprewell, Camby), etc.

it all starts at the top. we have a clueless owner, a pawn in Glen Grunwald who has no balls, gumption, or power to fire Antoni, and eventually a superstar team with D'oh-lans footprints all over it. i've never seen a professional franchise blown up as many times over this last decade, starting from scratch with Starbury, Penny, Zebo, Crawfish, STAT, Melo, Chandler etc. it's always, wait wait wait for LeBron, for Melo, for CP3, for Baron von Hernia, instead of keeping the pieces that work (DLEE) and building a winning franchise. this is the type of corporate mentality, as opposed to a basketball mentality, this team has gone through in the D'oh-lan years.

LMFAO with your picure of Mike D holding a half body davis LOL!!!

Davis in a wheelchair could dish out more assists than Douglas, Shumpert, and Bibby

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Jesus guys. Are we going to have a new "Fire D'Antoni" thread after every loss? There's like 100 of them now.

D'Antoni will eventualy be gone. You can bet on it with 100% certainty. It may happen when Baron starts playing and the Knicks are still losing but it will most likely happen after this season is over. I wouldn't be surprised if D'Antoni doesn't even want to coach this team anymore and chooses not to resign, if even offered a contract, which will most likely not happen.

Dolan typically doesn't fire coaches in mid-season. Remember Larry Brown? Remember Isiah? Those teams were playing the same way but the coach was not let go until the offseason.

Patience. It will come. You will get your wish soon enough. Dolan listens to the fans and runs this team like an impatient fan and always gives the masses what they want. He just chooses to do it on his terms and his schedule.

And if you think getting rid of D'Antoni now and having Woodson as the head coach will make this team a contender, then you are just another impatient fan ignorant of how basketball is played and how a championship basketball team is constructed. We still need several pieces to even being close to contenders.

It doesn't matter if D'Antoni gets fired tomorrow or is not resigned this offseason. The result will be the same. So, in the meantime, if watching the Knicks now is causing you physical, emotional or mental stress, may I suggest you not watch them until D'Antoni is fired. Go out. Enjoy your life. Don't waste your life on this crappy team. It's not worth it.

Wargames

Starter
Jesus guys. Are we going to have a new "Fire D'Antoni" thread after every loss? There's like 100 of them now.

D'Antoni will eventualy be gone. You can bet on it with 100% certainty. It may happen when Baron starts playing and the Knicks are still losing but it will most likely happen after this season is over. I wouldn't be surprised if D'Antoni doesn't even want to coach this team anymore and chooses not to resign, if even offered a contract, which will most likely not happen.

Dolan typically doesn't fire coaches in mid-season. Remember Larry Brown? Remember Isiah? Those teams were playing the same way but the coach was not let go until the offseason.

Patience. It will come. You will get your wish soon enough. Dolan listens to the fans and runs this team like an impatient fan and always gives the masses what they want. He just chooses to do it on his terms and his schedule.

And if you think getting rid of D'Antoni now and having Woodson as the head coach will make this team a contender, then you are just another impatient fan ignorant of how basketball is played and how a championship basketball team is constructed. We still need several pieces to even being close to contenders.

It doesn't matter if D'Antoni gets fired tomorrow or is not resigned this offseason. The result will be the same. So, in the meantime, if watching the Knicks now is causing you physical, emotional or mental stress, may I suggest you not watch them until D'Antoni is fired. Go out. Enjoy your life. Don't waste your life on this crappy team. It's not worth it.

your right man. D'antoni sucks and a good deal of the roster sucks right along with him. I'm going to take a break.

insanity4289

Benchwarmer
LMFAO with your picure of Mike D holding a half body davis LOL!!!

Davis in a wheelchair could dish out more assists than Douglas, Shumpert, and Bibby

It would be better if it was BD's torso on the Operating table that Darth Vader was on, with Dantoni in the Background saying "we can rebuild him"

knicksin60

Starter
Jesus guys. Are we going to have
a new "Fire D'Antoni"thread after every loss?

There's like 100 of them
now.
It's obvious that as long as D'antoni is coaching this team and is producing the same results he will receive the same criticism and disgust from Knick fans. Maybe if the Knicks would start winning games people would cease to create threads calling for his release.

D'Antoni will eventualy be gone.
You can bet on it with 100%certainty. It
may happen when Baron starts
playing and the Knicks are still losing but it
will
most likely happen after this
season is over. I wouldn't be surprised
if
D'Antoni doesn't even want to
coach this team anymore and chooses not to
resign,
if even offered a contract, which
will most likely not happen

Nobody wants him to coach this team anymore except for the small minority of Knick fans who do not live in reality. I hope he doesn't allow the door to hit him on his way out the day he leaves the Knicks’ organization. His approval rating from Knick fans has declined each year that he’s coached the Knicks. It's not like some NBA team will want to hire him after he has been exposed to be such an overrated and terrible coach over the past 4 seasons.

Dolan typically doesn't fire coaches in mid-season. Remember Larry Brown? Remember Isiah? Those teams were playing the same way but the coach wasnot let go until the offseason.

Larry Brown and Isiah Thomas were in their first year of multi-year contracts. Larry Brown had finished receiving a five year contract and Isiah Thomas had received a contract extension after taking over for Larry Brown. It would have been utterly foolish for Dolan to have fired them mid-season and not have allowed them to complete at least one full season of their multi-year contracts. D’antoni is in his last year of a 4 year contract and most owners that care about the success of their team wouldn’t even allow the coach that they've hired half of the time table to run the team into the ground that D’antoni has been given. You think had the Chicago Bulls signed D’antoni for 4 years instead of the Knicks he would have not been fired mid-season for coaching them the way he’s coached the Knicks so far? Or had the Suns not had Steve Nash they would have kept D’antoni for a long time without firing him mid-season?

When does Dolan listen to the fans? How come he hasn’t lowered ticket prices? Or allowed the MSG Network to be on Time Warner? Or sold the Knicks? Or how come he still allows Isiah Thomas to speak into his ear despite the fact that the majority of Knicks fans disapprove so much of Isiah Thomas being associated with the Knicks? What moves has James Dolan made because he was influenced by the fans to do so? Dolan fired Isiah Thomas because David Stern had some influence on his decision. He acquired Melo not because he really cared about bringing the Knicks closer to a championship and pleasing the fans but because he knew the marketing value in a player like Melo. Unless he knows that he will make money because of it, James Dolan cares less about the desires of the fans than he does about the opinions of the people who clean the bathrooms at Madison Square Garden.

And if you think getting rid of D'Antoni now and having Woodson as the head coach will make this team a contender, then you are just another impatient fan ignorant of how basketball is played and how a championship basketball team is constructed. We still need several pieces to even beingclose to contenders.

I am not saying that Woodson would make them a contender but it sure wouldn’t hurt the Knicks to test how he would do with this group of players for the remainder of the season. Mike Woodson doesn’t need Steve Nash to win games and has proven that he could be successful in the Eastern Conference. I’m not denying that the Knicks are a few pieces away from being a contender but I would feel a lot more confident watching the Knicks not have a coach that tells his players to shoot 50 three pointers agame, doesn’t know how to run offensive plays, doesn’t have any defensive game plan and can’t succeed without a certain type of PG.

It doesn't matter if D'Antoni gets fired tomorrow or is not resigned this offseason. The result will be the same. So, in the meantime, if watching the Knicks now is causing you physical, emotional or mental stress, may I suggest you not watch them until D'Antoni is fired. Go out. Enjoy your life.Don't waste your life on this crappy team. It's not worth it.

Out of frustration and discouragement, I haven’t watched a single Knick game since their six game losing streak but that doesn’t mean that I won’t stop supporting them as a fan by wanting the right changes to be made for them. I’ve always said that any Knick fan who's survived through the tragic decade of Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas could survive through anything.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
In more Knick news: Antoni says Melo and Davis are doubtful for tomorrows game.

I swear I think there's more to Melo missing games than just getting his wrist and ankle better. He's not getting along with Antoni and there are problems that's being kept under the rug... for now.

MSGate

unloopme

Benchwarmer

I swear I think there's more to Melo missing games than just getting his wrist and ankle better. He's not getting along with Antoni and there are problems that's being kept under the rug... for now.

MSGate
I hope your right. We all know that in the battle between star player and coach...coach always loses. :argue:

pat

Starter

MSGate

Watching him since he arrived here, I wouldn't want him as a team mate either. It seems like it is not much fun to be on the floor with him.

This team not only hasn't got Steve Nash. They haven't got a point guard. No coach is going to win with that squad.

nyk_nyk

All Star
This team not only hasn't got Steve Nash. They haven't got a point guard. No coach is going to win with that squad.

Really? Why not? Just because we don't have a really effective PG?

If you don't think this team can't succeed no matter what then I guess you expect them to lose every game.

Be serious dude! A team with Melo, Amare and TC with average role players should at the very least be a .500 team right now. I didn't even mention the bums we lost against so far.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Watching him since he arrived here, I wouldn't want him as a team mate either. It seems like it is not much fun to be on the floor with him.

Honestly, have you ever seen Carmelo high fiving or chest bumping with his teammates? It's always like "look at me, look at me"...