MDA Truth Serum Thread: Only Facts Need Apply

MusketeerX

Rotation player
SSOL is a system that predicates a fast paced offense and quick shots at the expense of setting up the best shot.

The truth of the matter is that the most efficient shots are those right under the basket. There is a reason good post-up players have a premium on them in this league.

SSOL also leads to more fast breaks for opponents (long shots = long rebounds = quick run outs), while also hurting defense. When you run your players rampant, it leads to fatigue (especially in a shortened season like this) and more injuries.

Players like Amar'e and and Melo are literally worth 100s of millions dollars. D'Antoni's system runs them into the ground.

The priority should be on easy buckets, which quick buckets don't necessarily make.

The Knicks are currently playing at the second fastest pace in the NBA. 42 three pointers were shot two nights ago (at a pretty good percentage) and they still lost. SSOL is and always has been a flawed system.

Basketball is a simple game. Defense and easy buckets. D'Antoni's system does not lead to either.

What perplexes me the most is that D'Antoni tries to stick to this system when he knows he doesn't have the shooters or the point guard. To me this is really what makes him a bad coach. He doesn't know how to adjust to his team.

Look at Philly. They don't have the best team. They truly don't. Their players are average. However, Doug Collin's plays a system that enhances their strengths and masks their deficiencies. Someone made reference to Jrue Holiday, who is a great player, but not having a great season. Players matter, but so does coaching.

MDA doesn't know how to maximize the potential of this team. SSOL is not going to work. It didn't work with Pheonix, and will not work with this team.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Knicks got a coach that got his fame from a great PG that was a an MVP and he still couldnt get to a championship.

He is not a winner.

Ive vented too many times about Mike D and his flaws.

The Mike D experiment has failed.

We need a change.

jimkcchief88

All Star
No point in debating whether Damnphony is a good coach because his s**t record with the Knicks speaks for itself. That's a fact. I don't see many of the games being here in the CHI but what I saw Friday night was an eye opener:

1) For a coach known for offense, none whatsoever. Just whoever is open throw the ball toward the goal no matter where you are on the floor.

2) Terrible defensive rotatations. I mean the worst. Letting guys go baseline instead of sending them to the middle where there is help waiting, poor closeouts leading to wide open shots, and as our old coach JVG pointed out terrible floor balance which led to the dunk contest.

3)Not even knowing how to run a simple fast break. Our point guards(lol) refuse to give up the ball on fast breaks leading to charges and missed layups.

Its obvious that Nash was the straw that stirred the drink in Phoenix, not Damnphony. The good news is Melo/Stat are locked up and there is a nice mix of vets and young talent on this team. Damnphony is coaching himself out of a job this year so as much as it will hurt, we need to miss playoffs this year. Then we can get Phil and the line and bring the triangle to NY.