MIA
BOS
@NJ
@CLE
@ATL
LAC
@CHA

=================

So here we are. Losers of 9 of our last 10 games. Carmelo hurting, Amar'e lost in the shuffle, TC can't get a pass, we have the worst starting G back court in NBA history, we chuck 30+ threes a game while committing about 20 unforced turnovers each contest, our coach looks apathetic.. gulp (pause for a breath)... Jared Jeffries is still running around, the trade rumors swirl, there are whispers of coaching changes, Isaiah Thomas is out to dinner with upper management, Time Warner still wont broadcast this mess, & Pitchers & Cacthers are soon to report!

We play tomorrow, get a day off, & then comes the daunting 1-2-3 (back-to-back-to-back) three games in three nights. Yikes! And what makes this even tougher, we play the worst of the 3 teams (Nets) on the 3rd night of this gauntlet. Could we go 0-3?

Are we at rock bottom? Or, are we just waiting for the foreman to bring down the jackhammer? WHISTLE BLOWS & I HEAR A SCREAM, WILMA!

We have 15 games before the All Star break. I'm thinking 10-5 would be a miracle. 8-7 might even be a long shot. At 7-12, could we be looking at the turning point or our we facing the abyss?

We shall see how we respond... but with this offense, this coach, these 2 "super" stars, our lack of even a viable college DIV-1 PG, no shooters, lazy defense, and Mr. Dolan... Is there any hope?

I'm looking at March... If we add Baron Davis, along with JR Smith &/or Kenyon Martin... Does this mean anything?

I think if we can hold the line... keep within striking distance of the playoffs (how sad is it we're praying for the 8th seed; so much for wanting a top-4 seeding). Anyway, I think we match up well against MIA.

Davis
Smith
Anthony
Amare
Chandler

Martin, Shumpert, Jeffries, Harrellson, Walker, Douglas

Does this do anything for you? Pump your nag?

Wargames

Starter
I think the knicks match up well with MIA as well simply because Tyson Chandler pretty much alone gives that whole team issues. If any or all of the players you mention join the knicks with about 75% of their skill set intact it would help. D'antoni will be fired unless he goes 2-2 over the next 4 games. Normally I would say its not a question but its looking like he lost the team more and more so who knows if they show up to buy him some time.

On the flipside if the Knicks fall to the bottom of the division and decide to fire the coach, do they then decide to tank the season for a top 5 pick? :barf:

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Nice post...

I'll tell you what, if we ever get out of this ultra funky play and bounce back with Boom Dizzle..... JR Smith and Kenyon Martin would be absolutely huge.

Not only are they solid role players, but having their fresh legs by the month of March, right on time for the playoffs (if we ever get in) after a greuling 66 game season. They could potentially come in as our biggest advantage in the playoffs.

iSaYughh

Starter
Yes. It looks like a pretty functional lineup. I expect big things. Both because of the talent added on an individual level, and the ramifications upon improving Amare and Melo as players (which will be a profound effect), and on the ability to run a coherent, extremely effective offense.

Why would anyone expect Amare and Melo to actually look good playing together in year 1, when every single problem they obviously have as

individual players and as teammates

is magnified to the most absurd extent by having the weakest and rawest backcourt and PointGuard position in the NBA.

Why would anyone honestly to look good having the weakest and rawest backcourt in the NBA?

Unless one or more of your frontcourt players are elite ballhandlers, playmakers, passers in their own right -- Lebron, eg, even Gallo types -- you are not going to be a good, well-run team.

And Amare and Melo are horrible passers and people you'd look to facilitate an offense through. Couldn't be worse for these purposes.

How the **** do people think offenses are run? Let alone sophisticated ones?

It actually wouldn't truly matter if we replaced Melo with Howard either (though it'd obv help). We still wouldn't be anything special.

You don't put on a condom unless you wanna ****.

You don't step into a shortened NBA season and expect to win without putting a ****ing point guard on your team to run it.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Nice OP,mafra. Very nice.

It's a big question, and at this horrible stage, something that irks a little enthusiasm, too.

To answer all your questions with questions, I need to ask the following:

I know Smith and Martin become available in March, but when in March? Early, mid, late?

If we add them - Smith and Martin - will there be enough time for them to readjust and settle in? Waivers, setting up both themselves and their families in new living situations, finding a niche amongst their peers in NY, handling the media, adjusting to Mike's system [much harder for K-Mart than Smith], the expectation of being key ingredients to a wavering team???

The list is as long as our losing streak.

And what about their off-court repute? These are 2 of the NBA's worst attitudes, or so it's read.

Seems like a very long shot. Longer than the long shots that ruin this team's hopes at any sort of positive recognition.

You don't put on a condom unless you wanna ****.

You don't step into a shortened NBA season and expect without putting a ****ing point guard on your team to run it.

:lol:

Nice analogy, my friend.

It is a lot to ask with our play at the point. 2 chuckers that chuck and suck.

Shump has already shown that he is not capable, at this stage, of being a reliable combo guard.

tiger0330

Legend
Both JR and KMart would help. JR with that 3 pt shot and KMart with toughness and a post-game.

Chinese basketball playoffs start Feb. 22 and the last game of the finals is March 30. If any of these guys are on playoff teams, I don't see their teams letting them go until they're eliminated.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Fiction can be fun, but I find the reference section a little more enlightening.

The players are available as soon as their Chinese teams are out of contention.

Just one question , with $$$ being a key factor with these guys going to China you think they are going to line up to play for NY for vet min. If we are lucky ( real lucky ) we are able to sign KMart or Smith to the 2.5 min. The only way that happens is if we are still in it ( championship ) contention. If we are not you will see the Bulls , Heat , or another team with actual playoff contention swoop in and sign these two " hot commodities "

This means zero I know but look at this :
Clippers guard Chauncey Billups said he has reached out to Martin, a former teammate of his in Denver, about joining him in L.A.
Asked by the L.A. Times how Martin responded, Billups said with a smile, "I'll let him tell y'all that.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...s-del-negro-confirm-interest-in#ixzz1kyO2K4dJ

I can pretty much Bet he told K MART how much of a joke are Coach and team are. They probally had a good laugh or two regarding the Knicks.

Last edited:
The players are available as soon as their Chinese teams are out of contention.

Just one question , with $$$ being a key factor with these guys going to China you think they are going to line up to play for NY for vet min. If we are lucky ( real lucky ) we are able to sign KMart or Smith to the 2.5 min. The only way that happens is if we are still in it ( championship ) contention. If we are not you will see the Bulls , Heat , or another team with actual playoff contention swoop in and sign these two " hot commodities "

Amen brother!

CA7

Scoring Champ
I mean if we can get JR Smith for the 2.5MLE and K-Mart for the Vets Min.

Subsequently releasing Jeremy Lin and Jared Jeffries

G- Baron Davis/Iman Shumpert/Mike Bibby
G- Landry Fields/JR Smith/Toney Douglas
F- Carmelo Anthony/Bill Walker/Renaldo Balkman
F- Amar'e Stoudemire/Kenyon Martin/Steve Novak
C- Tyson Chandler/Josh Harrellson/Jerome Jordan

If D'Antoni manages to lose with this team he should be killed fcuk fired

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Look if I turn into the next Ricky Rubio tomorrow at age 28 despite not playing much ball in the past few years, my loyalties would lie with the Knicks if I had a choice on where to sign. Unfortunately, if I am Kenyon Martin and can choose the Heat, Bulls, Spurs, Clippers or Knicks tomorrow, I know which one is on the bottom of my list. We can't really do enough financially to make up ground either. Basically he better either be real tight with C Anthony or he better be a guy that wants the challenge of helping a team that hasn't shown much spirit, because I doubt the small salary difference (by NBA standards) will be enough to keep him from preferring a stronger team with less mess on their hands.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
I mean if we can get JR Smith for the 2.5MLE and K-Mart for the Vets Min.

Subsequently releasing Jeremy Lin and Jared Jeffries

G- Baron Davis/Iman Shumpert/Mike Bibby
G- Landry Fields/JR Smith/Toney Douglas
F- Carmelo Anthony/Bill Walker/Renaldo Balkman
F- Amar'e Stoudemire/Kenyon Martin/Steve Novak
C- Tyson Chandler/Josh Harrellson/Jerome Jordan

If D'Antoni manages to lose with this team he should be killed fcuk fired

Looks good doesn't it? Sadly you and I could prob coach that team to more wins than Mikey D... Also, I'm at the point of believing Baron Davis will be our starting pg when I see it happen, was all pumped and now the whisperings of him not practicing today and perhaps being out until the All-Star break... idk if this is gonna work out or be another Kelenna Azubuike situation. I sure hope not but starting to grow pessimistic. Sick sig though I like it

Sage

Rotation player
Smith and Martin would be huge, and in retrospect would give the Melo deal some actual return value.

But how does this work with roster spots, I thought we were at 15 already. So who do we waive/buyout? Lin? I think he's got some potential. Bibby? That seems like a given. Jefferies? Please let it be Jefferies.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
anybody would help honestly sad to say but if martin and smith came here they would be the 4th and 5th best players on our roaster

mafra

Legend
I wonder what it's like to play on broadway? #hmmmmm!
bird.png
January 27, 2012 6:46 pm via EchofonReplyRetweetFavorite

@TheRealJRSmith JR Smith

================================
Andy Miller, Martin?s agent, reiterated by text Monday that Martin will make his decision ?by week?s end.?
The former Net and Denver Nugget is considering the Knicks, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers, San Antonio Spurs and Atlanta Hawks.
Martin, who helped the Nets reach two NBA Finals, cannot join an NBA team until his former Chinese team, the Xinjiang Guanghui Flying Tigers, finishes their season Feb. 16.
==========================================

Carmelo Anthony is good friends with K-Mart. KM also played in the area. We'll see if this carries any weight. I think it'll come down to NY or LA really. Returning from China, you might as well go to Hollywood or NYC to spend a few months until Summer, right.

I doubt we can afford both. I'm sure even a few million would sway/alter their thinking. BUT, if they both are pals with CA and we can offer both comparable to what other teams can... I see no reason why they would turn down playing at MSG.

IF we could only have 1 player... which would be the better fit?

Kenyon Martin adds depth to the front court. Should we just magnify what's our strenght. I believe a combo of Chandler-Martin-Amare would give MIA fits. DAL proved the way to beat MIA is to pack the paint and turn Wade-Bosh-LJ into jump shooters. We can go big. Add Carmelo and Davis, and BOOM!
BUT, this would probably make our offense even worse. The paint would be too clogged for Amare to do any work. Basically, our offense would be Davis-Melo, with some off rebounding points.

JR Smith is exactly what this team needs. A shooting guard who can actually shoot. A starting SG who can score. Smith gives us offense, and we can go to Shump when we need defense. Smith stretches the floor. However, how consistent is JR? Another ball hog chucking 3s would hurt us if he's cold. If he's not scoring, how much could he help?

Personally, this is why I would prefer Kenyon Martin. Just his being on the court would be enough to improve the team's defense, even if he's not scoring. Like '99, I think we're destined to face MIA in the 1st round. Let's plan to beat them. We can hope Davis is enough. Walker can get hot when playoffs come.

I'm not worried about either getting along with coach. BUT, I can't see JR giving MDA any issues. Our HC doesn;t mind if you play no defense and chuck deep 3s with 20 seconds left on the shot clock. Bombs away.

I honestly dont believe any combination of role players will really matter considering our issue is having two superstars who need the offense to run through them and a coach who has no clue how to make it work. Any one we bring in will be just another body on the court watching melo heav shots 8 seconds into the clock and stat settling for immidiate elbow jumpers. With the exception of bringing in a real pg.. i dont see anything changing this year.

Bottom line we need a star pg. If you remember Tyson chandler had probably his best offensive production as a member of the hornets with Paul.. they were on the highlight reel night in night out.. no reason Stat and Chandler couldnt be Griffen and Jordan out in Lob Angeles If we could have landed Paul instead of melo. Any other moves we make will be cosmetic and frivilous unless it gets us a true top notch pg imo..

mafra

Legend
I honestly dont believe any combination of role players will really matter considering our issue is having two superstars who need the offense to run through them and a coach who has no clue how to make it work. Any one we bring in will be just another body on the court watching melo heav shots 8 seconds into the clock and stat settling for immidiate elbow jumpers. With the exception of bringing in a real pg.. i dont see anything changing this year.

Bottom line we need a star pg. If you remember Tyson chandler had probably his best offensive production as a member of the hornets with Paul.. they were on the highlight reel night in night out.. no reason Stat and Chandler couldnt be Griffen and Jordan out in Lob Angeles If we could have landed Paul instead of melo. Any other moves we make will be cosmetic and frivilous unless it gets us a true top notch pg imo..

I agree it's obvious things wont work out as long as MDA is here. That's ok though. Phil Jax will be on the bench next season.

I'm just trying to patch together something to make a run this June. Ala 1999. I think Baron Davis, JR Smith & Kenyon Martin is enough to compliment Amar'e & Carmelo.

Remember, come playoffs... everything changes. You have rest and you are focused. We saw Game-1 what's possible with our 2 stars.

I think we could battle CHI or MIA in the first round, before either club gains post season momentum. We definitely could use battle-tested guys like these 3.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Q: do you guys have a feeling that Baron could turn into another Azu? Of course, we all want him to get back on the court, but doesn't all this return talk remind you of that situation? We constantly heard "Azu's almost ready", "Azu will be back soon", "it's a matter of days" and finally he didn't play even a minute last season...

No

NOTHING CAN HELP THIS TEAM.

Until we fire this coach

Until then there will be

"Too many forays to the basket, unimpeded" Jeff Vangundy.

No matter what the roster is.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Q: do you guys have a feeling that Baron could turn into another Azu? Of course, we all want him to get back on the court, but doesn't all this return talk remind you of that situation? We constantly heard "Azu's almost ready", "Azu will be back soon", "it's a matter of days" and finally he didn't play even a minute last season...

Yeah, but with Kelenna, at least he was young. If Davis turns out like Arenas or Bibby, at least we're not paying as much.

mafra

Legend
Yeah, but with Kelenna, at least he was young. If Davis turns out like Arenas or Bibby, at least we're not paying as much.

Come on people. Let's be realistic here. It's not all doom-&-gloom. AZU is nothing compared to Davis. HIs injury was much worse, even if he was younger. We were foolish to trade for him. It was understood when we signed BD that he would be out 8-12 weeks. Early reports suggested that he was way ahead of schedule, but as the play deteriorated BD has opted to "take things slowly." He's still on schedule. Probably better off to hold him out until after the ASB. Get him going, and running on a full tank of gas come playoffs.

Baron Davis averaged nearly 13 ppg last year, w/ 7 assists (including 20 & 9 game vs MIA). 15 & 8 the year before that. BD doesn't need to be as good as BD was even 3 years ago (or even as good as BD was last year). All BD needs to do is be better than TD & IS. BD at 50% is a huge upgrade over what we have now.

I suspect we get BD at 75% of what he once was. I anticipate a few performances where he just explodes. He loves the big stage, & I cans ee him becoming a legit threat come playoffs.

He's exacly what the Knicks need. Get the ball out of Carmelo's hand. Let the PG run the show, run p-&-r w/ Amare, or skip it to 'Melo.

Davis-Melo-Amare-Chandler should work well together on offense. The key is to have that PG. Right now, we're an offense w/ an al pro rb, wr, te, OL but have no QB.

Davis wont turn everything, but it will help.

Game is mostly mental. Get the talent on the right page, feeling good, playing team ball, and you'll see things tunr around quickly.

If we're sitting here in a game 7 against MIA in the first round, who will be screaming that we were 33-33?

Toss in JR Smith draining 3s. Kenyon Martin banging boards.

Plz tell me what team has a better top 7?

Then we use Shumpert in a defensive role, check in to see if BW or TD is hot, have Joorts & Jeffries to give fouls.