Carmelo Publicly Backs D'Antoni

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
Carmelo Anthony has come out in support of Mike D'Antoni as the Knicks continue to struggle. New York has lost nine of their last 10 games.
“We support Mike 100 percent,” Anthony said. “He’s here with us, we’re here with him and we’re going to roll with that.”
Anthony is currently out with a wrist, ankle and knee injury.
Baron Davis said he joined the Knicks in part to play for D’Antoni, “a coach that I love."
lol I don't even know what to say about this.

I miss the 90's.

Thats kind of a P.C. say the right thing kind of comment.. like "hes here with us and were here with him" like were stuck with eachother till dolan fires him or trades us.. And Baron Davis is just happy someone was dumb enough to sign him and let him sit on the bench rockin sweater vests. I know alot of guy like D'antoni and respect him around the league. You should Hear Bill Walton talk about him like he did on a local radio show here called him a genius and one of the greatest minds in basketball history.... so maybe hes a good guy and a players coach.. but hes a loser and no good for NY anymore

mafra

Legend
Any player who wants to shoot whenever they want, not play defense, take bad shots, ball hog, not hustle or practice... Mike is their wet dream.

zshopa

Benchwarmer
Melo's opinion is worthless garbage, when he shows up to play I'll listen, in the meantime hes an overpaid underachieving ball hog, who spends more time talking than playing.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Wow the Melo hate is brewing.. lol

I'm rooting for Melo to acclimate to this system. It's happening slowly but surely despite the ugliness with which it's playing out on the court. Trust me on this..

Also, despite what some say, I don't believe there has ever been any issues between Carmelo and MDA.

MDA lets him run the point for crying out loud. Melo has his complete confidence.

I think they have a good relationship going back to their olympic days, with Boehim there. Boehim and MDA have a good relationship. There's just alot of respect between those three.

Melo and MDA are fine.

Wargames

Starter
Didn't we all learn from the end of Melo's Denver days that Melo is very good at maintaining a clean public image. The entire time he knew he wanted out of Denver he would give the Nugget fans public showings of support to avoid them hating him like Cleveland hates Lebron.

This is the same type of PR move. The last thing Melo wants is to be known as a coach killer. The smart PR move is to say this knowing you as a player (who is missing game to heal and thus cant help win anything) have no control over this. The other part of this that is wise as well is that the knicks will likely continue to lose for a while and the Media will need a new villian. A star that ran the head coach out would fit that story, so Melo wisely got in front of the story with these comment to control perception prior to D'antoni being fired. In fact him even making these comments just shows how close D'antoni is to being fired. Melo has been very mindful of his publix image ever since that flack he got for making gang references on that DVD all those years ago.

Also I am not saying Melo is a coach killer but the Media and Espn coukd and would spin it that way to get views from readers.

Last edited:

zshopa

Benchwarmer

I'm rooting for Melo to acclimate to this system. It's happening slowly but surely despite the ugliness with which it's playing out on the court. Trust me on this..

Also, despite what some say, I don't believe there has ever been any issues between Carmelo and MDA.

MDA lets him run the point for crying out loud. Melo has his complete confidence.

I think they have a good relationship going back to their olympic days, with Boehim there. Boehim and MDA have a good relationship. There's just alot of respect between those three.

Melo and MDA are fine.

Im definitely not hating on melo. Hes good, really good, but whatever it is right now whether its his body hurting or the System or lack there of, something needs to give.

and i think im tired of the press conferences after the game when MDA says "we just need to play better".

better than what? better than a college team? cuz i think we would get pounded by Duke right now.

zshopa

Benchwarmer
Didn't we all learn from the end of Melo's Denver days that Melo is very good at maintaining a clean public image. The entire time he knew he wanted out of Denver he would give the Nugget fans public showings of support to avoid them hating him like Cleveland hates Lebron.

This is the same type od PR move. The last thing Melo wants is to be known as a coach killer. The smart PR move is to say this knowing you as a player (who is missing game to heal ans thus cant help win anything) have no control over this. The other part of this that is wise as well is that the knicks will likely continue to lose for a while and the Media will need a new villian. A star that ran the head coach out would fit that story, so Meli wisely got in front of the story with these comment to control perception prior to D'antoni being fired. In fact him even making these comments just shows how close D'antoni is to being fired.

agreed! +1

why wouldnt melo back dantoni

if another coach replaced him

carmelo might actually be held accountable for being a real leader on both ends of the floor for once.

god forbid some one coach him like george karl did.

splat.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Melo and MDA are fine.

I really hope he does. The acclimation at this point is taking too long for my short breadth of patience. Hasn't it been long enough. Post injury, we're gonna need Melo to play out of control. It seems like only that will suffice.

On the bright side, since D'Antoni looks destined to stay, this vote of confidence from Melo is a good thing.

On a less cheery note is the record we have.

Things need to get moving, and fast.

No

NOTHING CAN HELP THIS TEAM.

Until we fire this coach

Until then there will be

"Too many forays to the basket, unimpeded" Jeff Vangundy.

No matter what the roster is.

Sage

Rotation player
If I was playing for the Knicks I'd prob think D'Antoni was awesome too. Jack up 3s, hog the ball, plus you get to take plays off if you like.

Case in point. George Karl is one of the best coaches of our time. He and Melo did not get along, partly cos George Karl had this zanny notion that Melo should play defense.

He doesn't have to worry about that here.

tiger0330

Legend
Well I guess Mike is staying. If Melo had only said "No Comment" when asked if the players were behind the coach, it would have been all over for the D'Antoni era in NY.

What did you expect him to say? You are not suppose to say bad things about your team or anyone within the organization...especially to the NY media, he knows better to not put himself out there like that.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
You guys really expected or wanted him to blast his current head coach? that woulda been a PR nightmare and hurt this team way more.

KingofNy

Starter
what do you expect him to say?

+1. People think players can talk sh*t about their coach openly? LOL :teeth: Play that sh*t backwards and I bet it says "He's the worst coach I've ever had and I'm tired of carrying this team just to be a .333 team".

Melo leaves the D'Antoni bashing up to us.