Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

Forrest17

Rotation player
I think some people either forget or blindly over look the simple fact of the Knicks having other great players on this team that is helping JLin look better than he actually is..

Do you remember last season at all?

We were DONE. After coming into the season with all the hype, we were so bad. Loosing, and loosing and loosing... And its not just that we were loosing it was how we were loosing and who we were loosing to. We got blown out by the Bobcats at HOME. The worst team in NBA history and we made them look like allstars...

Our offense was stagnant and DEAD. Amar'e got injured, Carmelo got injured. And there was really no hope for doing anything...

And then Lin came in. We stopping loosing games we should win. In the big picture that means a lot. Thats what teams who can be better than .500 8th seed teams do.

We were winning and it was most importantly exciting. Lin was playing with Chandler, Jefferies, Novak and Fields... Other than Chandler, our line up was piss poor. Novak can stroke the three but was useless without lins playmaking skills to get him open.

He has been the best thing to happen to this team in a long time. He makes this team fun and exciting. He can play if he stays healthy.

FrazierVocab

Benchwarmer
if worst comes to worst with the whole lin contract i say we work out a sign and trade for em with the rockets. i would love to have kyle lowry here in NY he's a terrific PG who can run a team. have him as the center piece and maybe a draft pick and we'd be in good shape. that being said, i think its highly unlikely we let lin go no matter the cost. im not too worried about the whole backloaded contract doubt the rockets would do another one and tie up their cap space on asik and lin in a couple of years. i heard reports its a 4yr 30 mill with 8 mill per year

Lowry just got traded to Toronto for a 1st rounder.

petescud

Starter
Keep Lin and figure moving Ama're next year....I think he's only going to get even better...he has much upside and is so young too

Fellas,

I just want to see more of him before we give him that much money. That one little stretch isn?t enough for me. Many players have gone on similar stretches then fizzle out for one reason or another.

I want to know if JLin is the real deal or if he was just the ?spirit of the moment?. We need a team that will compete with the Heat as well as other notable teams making big time moves. Giving this much cash to an unknown is a gamble I wouldn?t take. If he turns out to be a bust, or gets reinjured because of the way he plays? we will be stuck with another over paid underachiever.

He just had knee surgery, so I suspect his speed and cutting ability will be poor. Plus we don?t know if he has improved on any of his weaknesses.

Every team is going to go hard at him and if he?s not up to the challenge he and this contract will hinder our chances at a chip in the near future. I want the best for JLin but I want the best for the Knicks too, I?m iffy on taking that risk.

If life was as easy as a dream...I would give him a lucrative one year deal (with a fine print) so he can prove to himself and everyone what he's worth. If he does well?then he wins a better contract from us or another team. If he fails?I doubt we?ll lose much, but we should still be in a good position to right the ship. I just don?t see the value yet. What I saw was just another young player going through streaks of good and bad games. But not nearly enough games to know enough about his true abilities.

Kiyaman

Legend
The whole backloaded contract hysteria in signing Jeremy Lin is not as huge as everyone thinks it is if you ask me, there's no telling what will happen after 2 more years, we may not even have 1 of the other big contracts still here at that time.

I'm sure if the Knicks end up matching a backloaded contract for Lin then they will be looking to dump Amar'e after the 2014 season in a cap move similar to how Atlanta just dumped Joe Johnson on the Nets. He would only have 1 more year left on his deal then so it would be much more palateable then than it is now, assuming his knees & back can hold up that long (big IF admittedly, but I think people are overreacting prematurely a bit to the whole luxury tax scare in year 3 of Lin's next contract)

It does not matter how much the Knicks pay Jeremy Lin....the Knicks dont have a starter or backup PG for our $14M C-Tyson, $20M PF-Stat, and $20M SF-Melo (letting Melo run the offense lead to a 8-15 record).
Knicks fans at MSG will feel a huge disappointment at the start of the 2012-13 season if Jeremy Lin is not in a Knicks uniform. That's a Fact.

GM Grunwald were not wise enough to resign Jeremy Lin for a $24M 4 year contract with benefits of a 50 win season, 2nd round playoff, 3rd in assists, ect.
Grunwald was not wise enough to resign Landry Fields to a $20M 4 year contract.
Grunwald was not wise enough to resign Steve Novak to a $16M 4 year contract.
All three of the above Knicks RFA became very close friends to gell & co-exist as a 1, 2, 3, lineup to compete as a strong trio of starters with center Tyson Chandler leadership.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

For those who thought rookie Iman Shump performance was better than Landry Fields 2nd season performance know liitle about a starter n finisher. Fields is a starter/finisher when Shump is just a dynamic defensive finisher. Having both Fields & Shump on the court as crunchtime finishers won us alot of close games.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Yea I think Dolan will eat the cost of the luxury tax with ease. I'm sure J Lin jersey merchandise sales and sold out games to watch him will more than make it up in the long run. We aren't the Bobcats or the Raptors who would probably have to fold if they had the same situation. Dolan has made some really boneheaded moves (including this year's free agency fiasco) but if he doesn't see the marketability in Lin, if not future star potential, then he may go down as one of the dumbest franchise owners in sports history.

The decision is purely up to Lin now and no one else. Hopefully he realizes that the Rockets are irrelevant and will get him nowhere and comes back to us.

Kiyaman

Legend
Yea I think Dolan will eat the cost of the luxury tax with ease. I'm sure J Lin jersey merchandise sales and sold out games to watch him will more than make it up in the long run. We aren't the Bobcats or the Raptors who would probably have to fold if they had the same situation. Dolan has made some really boneheaded moves (including this year's free agency fiasco) but if he doesn't see the marketability in Lin, if not future star potential, then he may go down as one of the dumbest franchise owners in sports history.

The decision is purely up to Lin now and no one else. Hopefully he realizes that the Rockets are irrelevant and will get him nowhere and comes back to us.

Dolan will resign Jeremy Lin at any cost....but the Knicks having only 5 players under contract on July 1st. and Grunwald not sealing an agreement to resign our valuable 3 RFA players by July 2nd. so we could be the team giving out offersheets of MLE & LLE to the FA market of players on July 3rd. before all the good FA are gone.
Im waiting to count all the Knicks players under contract on July 15th.
Remember we didnt want to improve the Knicks on draft night.

Its like the Knicks hasnt stop their decade cycle of foolishness by rebuilding a new team each season. Dolan and all his dum-dum GM should be banish from the NBA.

STAT1

Starter
J-Lin is going to have to play a lot more games in order for me to see if he's worth that money.

I think some people either forget or blindly over look the simple fact of the Knicks having other great players on this team that is helping JLin look better than he actually is. If he (Lin) hasn't improved his handle, his defense, and his toughness/durablility...I'll pass on him and let Houston make fools of themselves again. I like JLin, but he is not a franchise player (yet), as of now...he's just a decent, smart, pass first PG with room for potential....potential that may be stunted due to his recent injury/surgury on his knee. If he's on a team with players that don't match the skill sets of the Knicks (Stat, Mello, Chandler, J.R) he and that franchise will have serious problems.

Let's also not be blind to the fact that Lin practically carried this team on his shoulders for 2 weeks when STAT & Melo were out with injuries & he had that Linsanity streak. This is not to say he'll do that again, but the kid obviously has the talent to be a VERY good basketball player & he's already 1 of the most promising young PGs in the league. Being hugely marketable with the Asian market (with every market really) doesn't hurt his cause either. The Knicks will resign him. If you don't believe me, take a look at all the "Linsanity" hats, tshirts & jerseys you see at every sporting goods store you go to these days. & It's not just Asian people that are snatching that up either. This kid is wildly popular with the Knicks' fanbase & the Knicks will milk that for all it's worth. They aren't going to let all that be put on clearance sale by not resigning this guy. Lol.

STAT1

Starter
It does not matter how much the Knicks pay Jeremy Lin....the Knicks dont have a starter or backup PG for our $14M C-Tyson, $20M PF-Stat, and $20M SF-Melo (letting Melo run the offense lead to a 8-15 record).
Knicks fans at MSG will feel a huge disappointment at the start of the 2012-13 season if Jeremy Lin is not in a Knicks uniform. That's a Fact.

GM Grunwald were not wise enough to resign Jeremy Lin for a $24M 4 year contract with benefits of a 50 win season, 2nd round playoff, 3rd in assists, ect.
Grunwald was not wise enough to resign Landry Fields to a $20M 4 year contract.
Grunwald was not wise enough to resign Steve Novak to a $16M 4 year contract.
All three of the above Knicks RFA became very close friends to gell & co-exist as a 1, 2, 3, lineup to compete as a strong trio of starters with center Tyson Chandler leadership.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

For those who thought rookie Iman Shump performance was better than Landry Fields 2nd season performance know liitle about a starter n finisher. Fields is a starter/finisher when Shump is just a dynamic defensive finisher. Having both Fields & Shump on the court as crunchtime finishers won us alot of close games.

First of all, Lin wanted to shop himself around & see what he could get. The Knicks knew this & let the market dictate his value. This is how business is done in the NBA. You don't bid against yourself & offer up a big contract until you know other teams would do the same (it's that type of mentality that led us to signing Allan Houston to that ridiculous $100M contract, remember?).

As for Shump vs. Fields, Shumpert has ELITE defensive skills already & he's every bit as good a finisher as Fields, along with a developing J. Yes, having both those guys running the wings won us games, you're right, but you can find guys with athleticism & finishing skills in the D Leagues if you look hard enough. What you cannot find are elite shutdown defenders like Iman.

Don't look now but the Knicks just solved their backup PG issues by signing Jason Kidd. So are you still going to be upset if we match Houston's offer to Jeremy Lin now?

STAT1

Starter
Its like the Knicks hasnt stop their decade cycle of foolishness by rebuilding a new team each season. Dolan and all his dum-dum GM should be banish from the NBA.

Not sure what's so dumb about our GM, he's the same GM who drafted Iman Shumpert & had the foresight to sign Jeremy Lin & Steve Novak off waivers. Oh & he also swung that trade to bring Tyson Chandler in here, the defensive player of the year, remember? Come on stop complaining & start giving this man his due. He has done a terrific job as our GM since he took over. Not sure what there is to complain about Lin would have shopped himself around regardless if we offered him a contract earlier or not. This is how free agency works.

STAT1

Starter
Question to the Cap-ologists:

Let's say the Houston offer is 4 years at $30M backloaded. Do the Knicks necessarily have to match that exact contract, or can they spread the dollars out evenly or even frontload the contract over those same 4 years for the same overall dollar amount? So let's say they frontload a contract to be $10M in each of the 1st 2 seasons, then it goes down to $5M per over the last 2 years when the luxury tax penalties become harsher? Is that feasible or is that not allowed under the current CBA?

Let's also not be blind to the fact that Lin practically carried this team on his shoulders for 2 weeks when STAT & Melo were out with injuries & he had that Linsanity streak. This is not to say he'll do that again, but the kid obviously has the talent to be a VERY good basketball player & he's already 1 of the most promising young PGs in the league. Being hugely marketable with the Asian market (with every market really) doesn't hurt his cause either. The Knicks will resign him. If you don't believe me, take a look at all the "Linsanity" hats, tshirts & jerseys you see at every sporting goods store you go to these days. & It's not just Asian people that are snatching that up either. This kid is wildly popular with the Knicks' fanbase & the Knicks will milk that for all it's worth. They aren't going to let all that be put on clearance sale by not resigning this guy. Lol.
I can run a clearance sale myself with the amount of knick Jerseys i brought over the years. I didn't buy Lin's (yet) because i knew he'll be a free agent. Houston is just acting like beyotches because they waived him....so now the knicks over pay so that Houston will feel a bit better. I dont like this part of the game....at all.

STAT1

Starter
I can run a clearance sale myself with the amount of knick Jerseys i brought over the years. I didn't buy Lin's (yet) because i knew he'll be a free agent. Houston is just acting like beyotches because they waived him....so now the knicks over pay so that Houston will feel a bit better. I dont like this part of the game....at all.

No one does, but it's part of the game. It's how business has always been done in the NBA. Teams try to screw other teams by driving up the players' price. Happens in every sport.

STAT1

Starter
Yes, and that leaves me very uneasy. The knicks have been unlucky in this department.

Nothing about Lin's contract worries me, he will more than make up for it in sheer marketing value to this franchise. What worries me is will Iman Shumpert return w/the same type of explosion in his legs that he showed all last year. :crossfingers:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah honestly the luxury tax is a non-issue for James Dolan. In the 2009-2010 season the team paid 44 million dollars in luxury tax in addition to 114 million in salary. They do not give a **** whatsoever.

fender0577

Rotation player
I'm not a big LIN fan, but i'll even admit, he has huge upside.The signing of kidd, would be the best thing to ever happen to LIN, i'm mean who better to learn the proper way to play PG from, than one of the best to ever do it.Learning from Kidd, he'll be an All-star pg in a few years.

Paul1355

All Star
Question to the Cap-ologists:

Let's say the Houston offer is 4 years at $30M backloaded. Do the Knicks necessarily have to match that exact contract, or can they spread the dollars out evenly or even frontload the contract over those same 4 years for the same overall dollar amount? So let's say they frontload a contract to be $10M in each of the 1st 2 seasons, then it goes down to $5M per over the last 2 years when the luxury tax penalties become harsher? Is that feasible or is that not allowed under the current CBA?

If that was possible then reporters would have mentioned it.

Pretty sure Knicks have to "match" that offer and would have to pay 9 mil in year 3 and 4, and honestly Lin should be worth every penny by that time.

Kiyaman

Legend
First of all, Lin wanted to shop himself around & see what he could get. The Knicks knew this & let the market dictate his value. This is how business is done in the NBA. You don't bid against yourself & offer up a big contract until you know other teams would do the same (it's that type of mentality that led us to signing Allan Houston to that ridiculous $100M contract, remember?).

As for Shump vs. Fields, Shumpert has ELITE defensive skills already & he's every bit as good a finisher as Fields, along with a developing J. Yes, having both those guys running the wings won us games, you're right, but you can find guys with athleticism & finishing skills in the D Leagues if you look hard enough. What you cannot find are elite shutdown defenders like Iman.

Don't look now but the Knicks just solved their backup PG issues by signing Jason Kidd. So are you still going to be upset if we match Houston's offer to Jeremy Lin now?

u got me mixed-up .... I dont give a flying F how much Dolan have to put out in the new luxury-tax rule (Big-Market teams went along with this rule so EFF'em, pay dat $3 for $1)....only one owner admitted he didnt like the luxury tax new rule, Cuban. So Dolan better match Lin & Fields offersheet plus resign Novak. WHY?
Dolan fast move in the Melo-trade made us Knicks-fans have to put up with another Marbury-fiasco for a season and a half .. not one Knicks teammate was happy with the "ISO-Melo bullshiiat offense" .. Knicks became the number 1 team with the most injury-prone players.

u act clueless of rookie Shump performance before the ALL-Star game....
Do u recall rookie Fields performance before the ALL-Star game in 2010-11 season?
Shump tore his ACL straining to be something he is not .. a NBA starter.
Shump will need a season of rehabilitation with a well known therapist to have the athletic speed he showed in the 2nd half of his rookie season, the rip in Shump ACL two months after surgery has Shump in a wheelchair shooting jumpshots (serious tear)....dont expect a 90% Shump back on court doin his thang until the 2013 summer league games. The Knicks medical staff has always been wrong as far back as trading a healthy Bar-brawling Anthony Mason for injury-prone Larry Johnson, or 3 seasons of no-show Mcdyess, or did u forget Allan Houston final 3 years .. Allan Houston Rule.