Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

red32

Benchwarmer
Lin is definitely playing with a "different team" than before.

He was basically playing with the current 2nd unit and Chandler, which as a whole, was faster and tough on defense. Plus these guys didn't necessary looking to score, which allowed Lin to take (and looking to take) more shots.

With the currently starters, Lin has to feed Melo and Stat the ball. When these guys don't hit (uh-huh), he has to try to score, but now thru the double-teams. Plus w/the bad defense (slower) of the first unit, his TO's are pretty much sure points for the other team.

elcol

Rotation player
the hugest difference between the linsanity stretch and now is NOT the point guard, it is the 2-4 spots assuming chandler was there for both linsanity and the current stretch. these guys just seem to work much more efficiently with either lin or davis on the floor(novak/shump/jeffries/etc) for some reason they simply outperformed the starters and that really helped make lin a much better player, now nobody in the starting 5 is in their groove, even landry played much better during linsanity but he is also falling off.. (we need SPACING)

GoKnicks!

Benchwarmer

He was basically playing with the current 2nd unit and Chandler, which as a whole, was faster and tough on defense. Plus these guys didn't necessary looking to score, which allowed Lin to take (and looking to take) more shots.

With the currently starters, Lin has to feed Melo and Stat the ball. When these guys don't hit (uh-huh), he has to try to score, but now thru the double-teams. Plus w/the bad defense (slower) of the first unit, his TO's are pretty much sure points for the other team.

Yes to all this, and worry about being pounded. That Kidd foul was wrong on so many levels. Knocks him in the head, then pulls his hair, and Marion hitting him in the chest. I know he has to pay his dues, but that's some ****ed up shit.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Lin does a lot more right then wrong.....There us absolutely no reason to change to Baron Davis....

what will you say if Davis starts to struggles or is not feeling 100% ?

we cannot be the team that is forever changing.......Right now is a real test for LIN. If he can get through this then we the Knicks get stronger.....worse case he struggles and Davis comes in......why mess with a guy when all he has done is play great minus the few games....

The " teams will be scouting him " his garbage.....Of course they will as they will every player of every NBA team.....

Lets see what LIN is made up and lets keep Davis healthy off the bench.....we will not win a playoff series unless both are healthy.....

Against Bos, Mia, and Dal Lin did a lot more harm than good the tone he set in all 3 of those games was so bad the starting lineup looks like trash mostly because of him.

He does not know how to handle traps and good defensive teams keying in on him.

He's def not as confident for some reason with Melo and Amare in the lineup not to mention he rarely hits them, how's two volume scorers supposed to get going if they don't get a lot of touches early he goes to Fields and TC way too much.

He looks way out control playing against these good teams on the road and their forcing him to throw these terrible passes that keep leading to mad turnovers.

In my eyes he'd be better off coming off the bench because there's less pressure, worse competition, and he played his best with basically the bench players.

I still think the kid has a bright future but he's not ready yet especially for what Knicks fans unless you guys are ok with a first round exit. As it stands right now NY will be playing either Miami or Chicago in the first round do any of you think Lin can handle those teams starting lineups defense because I really don't and I know it won't be pretty watching him wildly drive into the lane with no option to really pass or shoot and try to force something either way.

Now for Baron Davis I know he's not BD from 07 or a top 10 pg anymore or even fully healthy yet. The only thing that matters is he can handle pressure and knows how to effectively set the tone. Even he struggles scoring at least the game will be under control from the offensive end with on the court. And I bet he does a better job of feeding Melo and Amare.

skisloper

Starter
Yes to all this, and worry about being pounded. That Kidd foul was wrong on so many levels. Knocks him in the head, then pulls his hair, and Marion hitting him in the chest. I know he has to pay his dues, but that's some ****ed up shit.

Kidd beat his wife so of course he would take a shot at LIN.........

red32

Benchwarmer
Against Bos, Mia, and Dal Lin did a lot more harm than good the tone he set in all 3 of those games was so bad the starting lineup looks like trash mostly because of him.

He's def not as confident for some reason with Melo and Amare in the lineup not to mention he rarely hits them, how's two volume scorers supposed to get going if they don't get a lot of touches early he goes to Fields and TC way too much.

He looks way out control playing against these good teams on the road and their forcing him to throw these terrible passes that keep leading to mad turnovers.

In my eyes he'd be better off coming off the bench because there's less pressure, worse competition, and he played his best with basically the bench players.

I still think the kid has a bright future but he's not ready yet especially for what Knicks fans unless you guys are ok with a first round exit. As it stands right now NY will be playing either Miami or Chicago in the first round do any of you think Lin can handle those teams starting lineups defense because I really don't and I know it won't be pretty watching him wildly drive into the lane with no option to really pass or shoot and try to force something either way.

Now for Baron Davis I know he's not BD from 07 or a top 10 pg anymore or even fully healthy yet. The only thing that matters is he can handle pressure and knows how to effectively set the tone. Even he struggles scoring at least the game will be under control from the offensive end with on the court. And I bet he does a better job of feeding Melo and Amare.

Lin definitely needs to improve on handling trapping on p-n-r, but a lot of this is experience and knowing where your team mates would jump to. I think this is where D'Antoni should be focusing on. Hopefully there is still time and enough games left to sort this out.

Melo and Stat definitely need more touches, but they are not moving w/o the ball as well as Fields and TC. When you move and create spacing and opening, it makes it easier to the ball handler to get you the ball. Oh well, TC is taller than most, so it's easier to p-n-r with (Stat is not as easy that's why Stat usually ends up w/mid-range jump shots off the p-n-r instead of going to the basket, but when he doesn't hit...)

Lin is in a touch spot. He needs to make good decision on when to take the shot and when to pass. Maybe he should play more w/the 2nd unit, so he won't be criticized for not giving others touches. :)

I like the way BD is playing, but if you really compare he and Lin (the way they are defended), the other teams would not double-team BD, and they probably don't see him as a scoring threat - he gets room to operate. This is respect to Lin - they know that if they let up, he will make the good passes and score on them.

It may not be a bad idea to let BD start one game and see (without people/media making a big fuss, yeah right) since we still have time.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Lin definitely needs to improve on handling trapping on p-n-r, but a lot of this is experience and knowing where your team mates would jump to. I think this is where D'Antoni should be focusing on. Hopefully there is still time and enough games left to sort this out.

Melo and Stat definitely need more touches, but they are not moving w/o the ball as well as Fields and TC. When you move and create spacing and opening, it makes it easier to the ball handler to get you the ball. Oh well, TC is taller than most, so it's easier to p-n-r with (Stat is not as easy that's why Stat usually ends up w/mid-range jump shots off the p-n-r instead of going to the basket, but when he doesn't hit...)

Lin is in a touch spot. He needs to make good decision on when to take the shot and when to pass. Maybe he should play more w/the 2nd unit, so he won't be criticized for not giving others touches. :)

I like the way BD is playing, but if you really compare he and Lin (the way they are defended), the other teams would not double-team BD, and they probably don't see him as a scoring threat - he gets room to operate. This is respect to Lin - they know that if they let up, he will make the good passes and score on them.

It may not be a bad idea to let BD start one game and see (without people/media making a big fuss, yeah right) since we still have time.

I agree with you, you have some good points

Red

TYPE-A
I feel the need to mention that I am not ready to jump off the Lin bandwagon just yet.

Looking over the past several games, it seems to me that Lin is starting to learn how to deal with the trapping and various schemes being thrown at him. I believe in his ability to learn and adopt, though there will likely be more painful games in store.

I also want to mention that it would help if the rest of the team stepped up. Last night, Lin had a bad shooting night, but only 2 turnovers. When trapped, he did what he was supposed to and got rid of the ball without forcing things. He can do a better job of this by passing more quickly. But once those traps occur, it is up to the 4 others on the floor to swing the ball quickly and get what should be a pretty open shot. That never happened last night.

If a defense is determined to take the ball out of Lin's hands, there's not much he will be able to do other than trust the rest of the team to respond. Once they do, the trapping will decrease and Lin will have more openings to attack the basket.

Agreed. D'Antoni should have anticipated this and implemented how to beat the trap in practice- which he had time for. But I'd bet he didn't. I bet it was mostly shooting drills. I've seen guy's leave and not even know they are to inbound the ball. SMH.

Yes, this is why after MIA & BOS, and after viewing BD, it's clear BD is a better choice for starter, and finisher. Lin off the bench.

Yes, clearly a flagrant foul.

Agreed. It's not the popular thing to do, but fortunately we've seen enough scenarios to accurately gauge Lin.

grauser01

Rookie
the problem is:
There are Melo and Stats who always want the ball and isolation. They dont move at all! there is no rotation. Lin pass the ball to them, they shoot and miss.

Earlier without Melo and Stat, there were more movements, so Lin could penetrate.

Stat and Melo are great players but they cant co-exist.

Jeffries, Stats/Melo, Chandler, Shumpert, Lin.

That would be a balanced team. Either Stat or Melo to the 2. Unit. But its difficult because both of them are super high-paid stars

Den318

Benchwarmer
the problem is:
There are Melo and Stats who always want the ball and isolation. They dont move at all! there is no rotation. Lin pass the ball to them, they shoot and miss.

Earlier without Melo and Stat, there were more movements, so Lin could penetrate.

Stat and Melo are great players but they cant co-exist.

Jeffries, Stats/Melo, Chandler, Shumpert, Lin.

That would be a balanced team. Either Stat or Melo to the 2. Unit. But its difficult because both of them are super high-paid stars

+1
We will be back to 7 game under .500 soon with those two. Can we trade one of them before the march 15 deadline? I would like to keep Amare over Melo. Amare have a smaller ego.

Last edited:

KingofNy

Starter
+1
We will be back to 7 game under .500 soon with those. Can we trade one of them before the march 15 deadline? I would like to keep Amare over Melo. Amare have a smaller ego.

Are you smoking crack? Have you watched Amare play this season? I could go right around him for an easy layup. Our opponents attack him almost every time up the court when he's in the game. Then he goes out and our second team comes into the game and we start to catch up. Then he comes back in and our run vanishes. F Amare, He needs to GTFO NY. He can take MDA with him!

Rioferd

Benchwarmer
+1
We will be back to 7 game under .500 soon with those two. Can we trade one of them before the march 15 deadline? I would like to keep Amare over Melo. Amare have a smaller ego.

Those two are pretty much untradeable right now.

Den318

Benchwarmer
Are you smoking crack? Have you watched Amare play this season? I could go right around him for an easy layup. Our opponents attack him almost every time up the court when he's in the game. Then he goes out and our second team comes into the game and we start to catch up. Then he comes back in and our run vanishes. F Amare, He needs to GTFO NY. He can take MDA with him!

I am NOT saying Amare is great. He suck too, especially his D. But i will choose him over Melo if we have to trade one. Melo is cancer to the Knicks.

grauser01

Rookie
I am NOT saying Amare is great. He suck too, especially his D. But i will choose him over Melo if we have to trade one. Melo is cancer to the Knicks.

I can live with Stat's offense but I dont want to see him playing defense anymore. It's a pain to watch him being so slow and soft in the defense. He should be more like Chandler.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Amare seems to be slowly getting back to normal, Melo still can't really play his game, and Lin just is not ready yet. Those are the 3 biggest player issues but in my eyes the biggest issue is with MDA I think a better coach would have all these player meshing a lot better than he has by now.

czoneny

Rookie
Lin seems to have lost that killer instinct and aggressiveness that started the winning streak. Of course that was without our "Max Cats" in the lineup. Now Lin has to play NBA Politician and make sure everybody gets their shots.

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
The Best Way to Play These Cards..........

This is my first post on the Knicks forum.........

And I will admit, I'm here solely because of Jeremy Lin..... I have never been more addicted to an individual player. My team happens to be the Clippers, and they're now playing even worse than the Knicks.:boohoo:

First some observations......

As some here realize, Carmelo is a one-on-one clearout type player. I personally think he should be on the floor whenever Jeremy Lin is off the floor. The times they are on the floor, the team should mix plays through Lin and plays through Melo. But because Melo is passive off the ball, it becomes so much easier for the defense to converge on Lin. So these players should only be together against less-than-stellar defensive teams. The only time they should be on the floor together is at the start of a game, or if they need a big basket late.

The one thing nobody talks about in Jeremy Lin's game is his defense. I think this is the one part of his game that made "Linsanity" possible. (Steve Nash gets great offensive numbers, but his teams still lose because he can't play defense.) He does get a lot of steals, but he also alters a lot of shots, and is an above-average on-the-ball defender. He seems to be learning fast in fighting through screens. The only time Tony Parker had trouble driving to the basket was when Lin was guarding him. (Which I find surprising because Parker had no problem with Shumpert.) He was the only Knicks player that played decent "D" against the Spurs. My only worry about Lin as a defender is he should maybe play less pressure early, to avoid foul trouble.

I think Lin's weaknesses are curable...... Weak left hand, tends to shoot cold early (his shooting gets better late in games), and sometimes tends to look down when in traffic, losing sight of open players. But again all fixable.

And finally, we need a backup center whose purpose is to disrupt things in the paint. Harrellson is not quite that player, and should not be shooting three point shots.

Starting lineup: Lin, Stoudemire, Shumpert, Carmelo, and Chandler

First bench rotation: Novak or Fields for Shumpert, Jeffries for Carmelo, Harrellson for Chandler.
Second bench rotation: Baron for Lin, Carmelo or JR Smith for Stoudemire.

Second half and leading: Same as starting lineup. Maybe play Fields instead of Shumpert.
Second half and trailing: Jeffries or Novak instead of Carmelo.
Second half small lineup: Lin, Davis, Shumpert, Novak, Jeffries.
Crunch time offense: Lin, Carmelo, Novak, Shumpert, Stoudemire.
Crunch time defense: Lin, Shumpert, Jeffries, Davis, and Chandler.

Play Carmelo as much as possible whenever Lin is on the bench.

Last edited:

grauser01

Rookie
The one thing nobody talks about in Jeremy Lin's game is his defense. I think this is the one part of his game that made "Linsanity" possible. (Steve Nash gets great offensive numbers, but his teams still lose because he can't play defense.) He does get a lot of steals, but he also alters a lot of shots, and is an above-average on-the-ball defender. He seems to be learning fast in fighting through screens. The only time Tony Parker had trouble driving to the basket was when Lin was guarding him. (Which I find surprising because Parker had no problem with Shumpert.) He was the only Knicks player that played decent "D" against the Spurs. My only worry about Lin as a defender is he should maybe play less pressure early, to avoid foul trouble.

I think Lin's weaknesses are curable...... Weak left hand, tends to shoot cold early (his shooting gets better late in games), and sometimes tends to look down when in traffic, losing sight of open players. But again all fixable.

So true!

Yeah, Lin is not the best defender, but he is not the worst defender either.

He lacks experience, height, weight and long arms to be a great defender.

But he has speed and quick hands to make it difficult for any PG to dribble. Tony Parker didnt get so many points because Lin couldnt defend him. Duncan did a good job to block Lin , only Amare did a bad job to switch and to hinder Parker to shoot.

Lin has proven that he is a very good player who can lift his team. He should be aggressive again, but with Melo + Stat he doesnt play his natural style.

CalBunny

Rookie
Melo killed Linsanity and the Knicks season ONCE AGAIN. What's the Knicks record with him this year? 10-20?? 8-1 without him? Shooting 40%fg and under 30% from 3. Can we have a refund? God, please trade him before the deadline.