Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

TakMan

Rotation player
We are just analyzing the front offices moves, as is always done around these forums..

Why are you so butthurt?

C'mon. This forum has been anything but an analysis of FO moves, rather it has been an attempted analysis of one potential FO move with a variety of stories ranging from people declaring they are going to start supporting the Nets should Lin leave, to the effect this move will have on MSG stocks(?!?). In the meantime the Knicks have acquired Felton, Kidd, Camby, Thomas, and have re-signed Novak and JR Smith whilst keeping hold of our big 3 and one of the most talented rookies in 2011-12. There's much to look forward to next season regardless of whether Lin re-signs or not, though this is not reflected in the attitudes of many posters. I really get the impression it's others that are butthurt over this situation.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Carmelo Anthony, who recently called Jeremy Lin's offer signing with the Rockets "ridiculous", apparently wants Lin back with the Knicks.........

I guess Melo has separated the player from the contract offer.........

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...thony-says-he-wants-jeremy-lin-back-1.3842316

There is def ego problems with all ball clubs but Lin wont games single handedly and players dont forget that.

I know people think melo wants Lin out but I really think melo is just tired of coming short and even though Lin's contract is ridiculous, the player is a game changer.

And seriously, Melo is making max money so he can't talk about any contract being ridiculous. Simply getting paid 20 million is ridiculous compared to every person in this country dead broke from the economy.

You lose more by letting Lin go.

I still take the advice by Walt Frazier...sign him now and worry about later, later.

The Knicks will have a BUNCH of expiring contracts on lin's 3 year....Amare, Chandler, Melo, Kidd, and Felton will all be expiring contracts. Expiring contracts are trade assets.

Paul1355

All Star
Lin will be resigned

I am going against the grain here. Book it.

All of these sources really have no idea what Lin and Knicks management is thinking. They are trying to connect the dots.

Reporters have been saying Knicks would wait until the 11th hour and then possibly sign Lin, just to stick it to the Rockets. This can be the one true "source" because it makes sense.

Just think this way people....Knicks and Rockets have been in a chess match the whole off season. What a better way to screw Houston than to resign Lin, while making Houston wait 3 days where they could have made more moves to improve their crappy team?

If we resign Lin, Houston has no options for PG unless they trade for Calderon and the Raptors won't give him up cheap. Lin is their last hope to lure Dwight to stay and give fans something to cheer about and a reason to buy tickets for an upcoming dismal year.

Take the advice of Walt Frazier...."Worry about later, later" Clyde is a smart man....resign Lin, pay him 5 mil in year 1 and 2 which we can argue is under valuing a player like Lin that will only get better. Then when year 3 starts creeping around we will know by then if he fits with these players. If he doesn't fit, trade him and someone WILL take him. If Rashard Lewis, Gilbert Arenas, and Joe Johnson can all be moved, then Lin will with his crazy hype.

Also in year 3, we have Amare, Chandler, Melo, Kidd and Felton all in their final years of their deals....which means TRADE ASSETS.

Players in the last year of their deals are big trade assets and we have a bunch of them. Who is to say we can't get rid of someone in year 3 besides Lin?

And who knows what Lin will be in year 3? We say he is not worth it...yea not worth it now....but the Knicks felt he would be worth 9 million by then...what if Lin becomes an allstar by then and orchestrates the offense? Then is he worth a max deal for one year? The one player that can make everyone gel and score at a high rate at the same time? Is that not possible by year 3?

resign him, worry about year 3 when it comes around.

Or else we lose a diamond in the rough for nothing, this is bad business and stupid management.

Wargames

Starter
Your using logic when I fear this decision is being made based on emotion.... Whenever emotion is involved no one knows what's going to happen. Logic would say they already got Kidd bring Lin in and at worse look for the trade later. Letting him go for nothing is foolish as all hell.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
Ive also always had a strong feeling he will be resigned..

its not like he's not gonna be tradeable in the next 2-3 years, before the luxury tax...

my call is Grunwald and Co are gonna wait until late tonight to match.

Uncle Robo

Benchwarmer
Yep, it just doesn't make sense to let him walk.
Match, and Knicks can trade him for SOMETHING later, instead of getting nothing by letting him walk.

Smart move would be to keep him year 1 and year 2 for cheap, and trade him in year 3 if anything.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I am coming around to them keeping JLin. Smartest thing I've heard from anybody associated with the Knicks was from Clyde "Worry about later, later".

Now all the Knicks need to do is ask Isiah what the Knicks should and do the opposite. Wait, Zeke said pass on Lin, we have to re-sign the young man today.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
His marketability alone will do it after his first two seasons.

IMO its a win-win to keep him, he can either explode and become an amazing PG, or after 1-2 seasons if it doesnt work out we can always dump him.

Woody likes to switch it up when it comes to positions.. so i wouldnt be surprised seeing the PGs in the SG position as long as Shump is out.

onex0is0

Benchwarmer
I believe management will re-sign Lin too.

Or can Jimmy Dolan be that stupid???

Why in the world would you let a cash-cow walk away for free. Think about it.

Even if JLin sucks starting now till the end of his career. Yes the offer sheet sounds "ridiculous." I, the owner, will GLADLY pay him $25 million for the next three or so years, plus all the luxury taxes the NBA can handle. Hell, JLin can sit on the bench and not play, for all I care.

Why? Because I know I'll make over $100 million side money (easily) just by having Lin in a Knicks uniform. All I have to do is pull up the financial study on the Yao impact in Houston and the money Yao made for the Rockets owner in the U.S. and in Asia.

Importantly, JLin is an American and normal size (6'2" or 6'3"), so he will have a GREATER impact than Yao. There's nothing difficult about this. All I need to know is how much money did Yao pull in on the side for the Houston Rocket owner Leslie Alexander.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/walt-frazier-thinks-ny-knicks-jeremy-lin-match-rockets-offer-article-1.1115863

"If Lin was able to get MSG a $1 per month increase per TWC subscriber in a five year deal, he likely made MSG nearly $160 million, according to cable industry sources."

Let see..., I throw in $25 million plus luxury taxes, and I can get back $160 million in 5 years?

What a tough decision.

Last edited:

CoolClyde

How Knicks Can Avoid Poison-Pill 3rd Year Of Lin Contract

Another article in favor of signing Lin, written by John "Chocolate" Schmeelk

Schmeelk: How Knicks Can Avoid Poison-Pill 3rd Year Of Lin Contract
July 17, 2012 6:26 AM

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07...n-avoid-poison-pill-3rd-year-of-lin-contract/

As the clock ticks down to the Knicks? Jeremy Lin deadline, they need to consider an option that seriously reduces the risk of paying such a mammoth luxury tax bill in 2014-2015.

The new CBA included a provision to make it much easier for teams to release players with bad contracts. It?s called the stretch provision. Here it is right out of Larry Coon?s invaluable CBA FAQ that can be found here: cbafaq.com.

Otherwise (if the contract or extension was signed under the current CBA), the remaining guaranteed salary is paid over twice the number of remaining years, plus one, per the Stretch provision:

If the player?s salary payments are spread-out using the Stretch provision, the team may elect to stretch the salary cap charge to match2. For example, if two seasons remain on the player?s contract when he is waived, and the payment is spread-out over five years per the Stretch provision, then the team may elect to spread-out the salary cap hit over those same five years.
In other words, the Knicks will have the option after the 2013-2014 season to waive Jeremy Lin, take his third-year $15 million salary and spread it out with its cap hit over the following three seasons. In each of those three seasons, the Knicks would have $5 million of dead money on the cap. Doing that would all but eliminate the insane luxury tax payment the Knicks would have to endure in 2014-2015, which is supposedly stopping them from re-signing Lin.

Obviously, this isn?t an ideal plan or scenario. The Knicks wouldn?t be resigning Lin with the idea of waiving him after 2013. Instead, this is simply a way out if Lin turns out to be nothing more than a backup quality point guard. Having dead money on the cap for three seasons is obviously a bad thing, but it?s nothing the franchise couldn?t survive.

If Lin, on the other hand, turns out to be a star, the same stretch provision could be used on any number of other players on the roster (Novak, Kidd, Felton, Camby) to reduce the impact of the luxury tax penalty. Odds are that one or more of those players will either be rendered ineffective by age or performance by that time, so waiving them won?t cost the franchise much on the court.

Or, of course, Dolan could just write the big check.

We just don?t know where the team will be in three years. What we know now is that the Knicks would lose a young point guard with a ton of potential for no compensation if they choose not to match Houston?s offer sheet for Jeremy Lin. If the Knicks do match, they have options to avoid the financial penalties the luxury tax might impose on the franchise. It is simply another reason for the Knicks to match the Rockets? offer, as insane as it might be. The Knicks now have an out if Lin turns out to be a bust. The risk of matching is much smaller than anyone is willing to admit.

The Knicks must be aware of this scenario. If they aren?t, shame on Glen Grunwald and the rest of the front office. This potential escape makes the decision to retain Lin an even easier one. There?s no basketball reason to let him walk. If they don?t re-sign Lin, they simply lose him and can?t replace him with anyone. That money can?t be used elsewhere. There is absolutely no benefit. Matching won?t affect the team?s cap, and with the stretch provision option, the Knicks can avoid the luxury tax hit to a large extent as well.

With this in mind, if the Knicks don?t resign Lin, it can only be seen as personal. James Dolan and the rest of the front office must be so angry that he went back to Houston and renegotiated the three-year deal that they just don?t want him as part of the team anymore. That would be immature, childish and foolish.

Then again, these are James Dolan?s Knicks.

babydolan.jpg

word

CoolClyde

Takman, this decision is part of the big picture, MSG stock has EVERYTHING to do with re-signing Spike Lin. James Dolan is a business man, albeit a sh*tty one, it is ultimately his to decide whether the re-sign will impact the worth of MSG in dollars and sense. you SHOULD give a flying f*ck about the big picture in order to understand the thinking of the FO, which is what these forums are all about. Most folks on here are wannabe GM's, myself included, and like to guess who the Knicks will pick, sign, trade, etc., and what the future of the team will be, and what it ultimately costs the franchise. lighten up.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
With this in mind, if the Knicks don?t resign Lin, it can only be seen as personal. James Dolan and the rest of the front office must be so angry that he went back to Houston and renegotiated the three-year deal that they just don?t want him as part of the team anymore. That would be immature, childish and foolish.

Then again, these are James Dolan?s Knicks.

babydolan.jpg

word

Haha......Baby dick Dolan. It looks like this is all it's gonna come down to. I had read about and forgotten that there is the stretch provision. Interesting! I think there's a far greater likelihood that it'll be used on SHAT.

Good job getting the better and more interesting articles on the site, Clyde!

You deserve a coven of honeyed-teen-nun-lesbianal. Dolan would match that!

I hope we resign him, my dream and hope was to build around a starting backcourt of Lin and Shumpert in 2015+

Right now we're the oldest team and by no means good enough to beat Miami.

We gotta think about the future, when the Melo, STAT, Wade, Lebron generation start to decline.

A Lin/Shumpert backcourt looks intriguing to me.

But what do I say, it's the Knicks and Dolan is the owner so they'll piss their future away like always for immediate success which won't come.

Or maybe they show common sense this time, but our recent moves don't suggest that. Kidd? Felton? Camby? Kurt Thomas? Really?

I used to love Thomas and especially Camby, but this ain't 99.
Felton is a fat mofo who makes Melo look diced to the bone.
Kidd could be Nash's grandpa and apparently still likes to visit police stations.....

Like I said a long time ago, worst managed team in sports.

Question:

Would you guys trade our roster for the 2011/12 Bobcats roster if that means Dolan would be gone forever and replaced by somebody good (e. g. Spurs owner)?

I would. A team can be rebuild within 5-6 years at worst.

Dolan will keep you down for 20+ years....