Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

Red

TYPE-A
anyone who believes lin wanted to be a knick... Smack yourself. Then ask yourself what part did lin play in this?

Did he search for offers? Yes, as a restricted free agent we can match any offer

did he get offers? Yes, and in order for us to match he must sign and we must match until the clock runs out (72 hrs from delivery)

could he have been a knick if he wanted? This is the tricky part. Reports say yes we wanted to match the orignal offer. Reports also show how we presented kidd with an opportunity to teach lin. We got kidd. We reported our intentions. Lin knew our intentions.

Now what's the only way this deal doesn't get done?

Lin, knowing our intentions to match, flew to vegas and got another offer... For a different amount. An amount that equates to 54mil in total. An amount that matches lbj, durant and others in his 5th year.

Could lin have not signed that yet told us, perhaps negotiated? Yes

he did the only thing he could do to f*ck this up.

Don't try any excuses. He's an econ major from harvard.

My instincts say he didn't want it. He couldn't handle it. It was settling in, and he knows he can't handle it.

This is not about money. Subtract and find the difference between the 2 deals and tell me that was the selling point.

Please.

I don't want anyone, i repeat anyone who doesn't want the knicks.

F*ck this n!gga

we will make it a priority to sh*t on houston this year. Good luck, he could have had an opportunity to play with perenial all-stars. To be "linsanity".

But just as what happened under fire in mia, this coward shrivled.

Den318

Benchwarmer
anyone who believes lin wanted to be a knick... Smack yourself. Then ask yourself what part did lin play in this?

Did he search for offers? Yes, as a restricted free agent we can match any offer

did he get offers? Yes, and in order for us to match he must sign and we must match until the clock runs out (72 hrs from delivery)

could he have been a knick if he wanted? This is the tricky part. Reports say yes we wanted to match the orignal offer. Reports also show how we presented kidd with an opportunity to teach lin. We got kidd. We reported our intentions. Lin knew our intentions.

Now what's the only way this deal doesn't get done?

Lin, knowing our intentions to match, flew to vegas and got another offer... For a different amount. An amount that equates to 54mil in total. An amount that matches lbj, durant and others in his 5th year.

Could lin have not signed that yet told us, perhaps negotiated? Yes

he did the only thing he could do to f*ck this up.

Don't try any excuses. He's an econ major from harvard.

My instincts say he didn't want it. He couldn't handle it. It was settling in, and he knows he can't handle it.

This is not about money. Subtract and find the difference between the 2 deals and tell me that was the selling point.

Please.

I don't want anyone, i repeat anyone who doesn't want the knicks.

F*ck this n!gga

we will make it a priority to sh*t on houston this year. Good luck, he could have had an opportunity to play with perenial all-stars. To be "linsanity".

But just as what happened under fire in mia, this coward shrivled.

Bigger font size = the truth!!! :teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth::teeth:

elcol

Rotation player
I don't care who is to blame, that can be argued all day, We also will never know how well Lin would have played if he had decided to sign here.

What we do know is that Dolan completely failed by giving Lin up for nothing....

CoolClyde

So I get an infraction for nothing, but you and Crazy get to tee-off on me, call me names because I was right and the KNICKS let your boy walk. And who is the baby??? And who is emotional??? and who has no SENSE??? Look in the mirror and stop yourself....(and resorting to name calling means you ran out of anything sensible to say and I win:)

hey stupid. NOW I'm calling you names. I was responding to 2 different quotes, one from you, where I took back what i said, and the other one about Jim Dolan, the stupid f*cking owner. just because you're both named Jim doesn't mean I was dissing you, but you're so dumb you couldn't see that.

and I didn't give you an infraction, i don't know who did, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to argue with you. if you think you won, whatever that means, good for you. you're a d*ck. btw, peace.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
hey stupid. NOW I'm calling you names. I was responding to 2 different quotes, one from you, where I took back what i said, and the other one about Jim Dolan, the stupid f*cking owner. just because you're both named Jim doesn't mean I was dissing you, but you're so dumb you couldn't see that.

and I didn't give you an infraction, i don't know who did, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to argue with you. if you think you won, whatever that means, good for you. you're a d*ck. btw, peace.

He got an infraction for being a provocative, racist person. Doesn't mean sh!t really, but Jim will no doubt cry hate crime.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
To all those who think Lin didn't want to play for the Knicks, you're wrong.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...says-interview-preferred-stay-new-york-knicks

If he had it his way, Jeremy Lin says he'd still be with the New York Knicks.

But Lin woke up Wednesday morning as a member of the Houston Rockets after the Knicks declined to match Houston's three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet.

"Honestly, I preferred New York," Lin told Sports Illustrated. "But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me. I wanted to have fun playing basketball. ... Now I'm definitely relieved."

Lin's comments shed light on the Knicks decision not to match his offer from Houston and the process that led to it.

A team source told ESPNNewYork.com earlier this week that the third year of the Rockets' offer -- worth $14.8 million -- caused the Knicks to consider letting Lin go. If the Knicks matched the offer, they would have been subject to a luxury tax in the third year, potentially bringing their total out-of-pocket cost for Lin to about $43 million in 2014-15.

The Rockets' offer to Lin will pay him $5 million in the first year, $5.225 million in the second and $14.8 million in the third, according to sources.

Lin told Sports Illustrated that he'd never considered the idea that the Knicks wouldn't match his offer until the team traded for point guard Raymond Felton last Saturday, confirming what a source told ESPNNewYork.com on Tuesday.

Lin had been given several assurances that he'd be back in New York prior to the Felton trade.

In late June, the 23-year-old had dinner with Knicks coach Mike Woodson in Los Angeles to talk about his future with the club.

"Woodson was saying, 'You're going to be a starter, you're going to be a big part of the team,'" Lin said. "I came away really excited."

"Felton's signing was the first time when I thought, 'Oh, wow, I might not be a Knick,'" Lin added.

That became a reality late Tuesday night, when the Knicks officially announced that they'd be letting Lin walk, confirming what ESPN's Stephen A. Smith had reported over the weekend that New York had no plans to match the offer.

Shortly after the Knicks announced their decision, Lin tweeted, "Much love and thankfulness to the Knicks and New York for your support this past year...easily the best year of my life#ForeverGrateful."

"Extremely excited and honored to be a Houston Rocket again!!#RedNation," Lin added in another tweet.

The Knicks stated publicly after the season that they had every intention of bringing Lin back.

But New York's thinking changed when Lin signed his final offer sheet with Houston.

Original reports stated that the Rockets' offer to Lin was for four years and $28.8 million, with the third and fourth years for $9.3 million each.

But New York balked at the final offer sheet, which was heavily backloaded in the third season.

With Lin out, the Knicks will turn to Felton at point guard. Jason Kidd, 39, will serve as Felton's backup.

As for Lin, he joins a Rockets team that finished in ninth place in the Western Conference last year and underwent a major overhaul in the offseason. Houston is said to be interested in obtaining Dwight Howard from the Orlando Magic.

Sports Illustrated reports that Lin is "happy" with his new employer, even though the Rockets had cut him before this past season. A source close to Lin told ESPNNewYork.com late Tuesday that he was "warming up" to the idea of playing for the Rockets.

The Knicks' decision to cut ties with Lin ends his brief but unforgettable run in New York.

The 23-year-old averaged 14.6 points, 6.2 assists and 3.1 rebounds in 35 games with 25 starts before his season was cut short because of surgery to repair torn cartilage in his knee.

Lin tried to rejoin the Knicks during the playoffs, but wasn't able to play. He declared himself "85 percent" healthy before Game 5 of the Knicks-Heat series but did not suit up. According to a team source, that caused friction in the locker room.

"Other guys were hurt, playing at less than 85 percent, so some of them didn't like that," said the source.

Lin addressed the injury and the surrounding circumstances with Sports Illustrated.

"Every single vet on our team that has been in the league longer than five years pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't play," Lin said. "And I had arguments with them about why I should."

Sports Illustrated also reports that Lin clarified his "85 percent" comment. According to the magazine, Lin claims that he was 15 percent from the "absolute minimum threshold to play."

"People think it was easy for me to sit there and watch us lose, like I had nothing to do with the season," Lin said. "I was dying to play. I didn't miss a game due to injury in seven years until this past season, and people are acting like I wouldn't want to play in the playoffs? Of the NBA? In my first season?"

Lin also said that Dolan, the Knicks owner, supported his decision.

"I have plans for you in the future," Lin remembers Dolan saying, according to SI. "This is a long-term investment. Don't rush back."

In the 35 games he was healthy, Lin went from an end-of-the-bench afterthought to an international phenomenon.

The undrafted guard out of Harvard, who was also cut by the Warriors in the preseason and played in the D-League, set the league on fire in February, leading the Knicks to seven consecutive wins. He scored at least 20 points in nine of 10 games during that stretch.

Lin, a restricted free agent who made $788,000 last season, expressed to SI his appreciation for Knicks fans during his incredible run last year.

"I love the New York fans to death," Lin said. "That's the biggest reason why I wanted to return to New York. The way they embraced me, the way they supported us this past season, was better than anything I've ever seen or experienced. I'll go to my grave saying that. What New York did for me was unbelievable. I wanted to play in front of those fans for the rest of my career."

KnickolasMGL

Benchwarmer
business decision:
let go of an international phenomenon earning millions of dollars in few short weeks for nothing.
-bad.

basketball decision:
let go of a 23 year old point guard with all the potential in the world for nothing in return
-bad.

what are the excuses?
1) too much to pay?
-please - and that's coming from an organization that put themselves in hole for loading up on the likes of Eddy Curry and Jerome James?
Not to mention that the contract could have been traded away if needed be.

2) pissed off the owner?
-please - so intelligent decisions are supposed to be based on that?

Houston's FO just outsmarted everyone in this.

Lin will be an All Star simply because he is an internationally popular player who can actually score and dish enough to put up good numbers in the league - not to mention again how young he is.

...Well hey, then again we're talking about DOlan's Knicks.
Now you wonder why LeBron would stay the **** away from Dolan owned Knicks.

jimkcchief88

All Star

Whatever dude you and Crazy 8's are both pissed at me from the thread rady locked up. Maybe two of us told y'all the KNICKS should walk LIn because it made no sense to keep him for that money. Now that it happened, you are even more pissed so you are now abusing your little new found power. Sucks to be wrong don't it???? Now you call me names and when I call you on it's like:"oh I was talking about the other jim, btw your stupid". Whatever. This is an open forum being viewed by everyone.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Crazy⑧s;244011 said:
He got an infraction for being a provocative, racist person. Doesn't mean sh!t really, but Jim will no doubt cry hate crime.

So Red using the N**** word in his post isn't "racist"???? BTW, I ain't the one crying. It's you LIN lover's crying. Need a tissue(or is that too provocative)?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
This is an open forum being viewed by everyone.

Hence the infraction for blatant, unnecessary racism, Jim. If you could refrain from doing that as you were asked, nicely I might add, you wouldn't be maligned or penalized for it.

Has nothing to do with abusing power, because infractions are less than a slap on the wrist, really. Deterring others from this site with unacceptable racism goes against the premise of the site itself. I'm sure that must make some semblance of sense to you. Now that Lin's gone we'll have to see what sort of acrobatic provocation you can pull to get back off topic.

Name calling isn't worth moderating. Racism is. It's a pimple on the face of this earth and should be discouraged. The question is, why are you so obsessed with it, and why have you had to go so far as to bring up old back and forth posts based on racism, that you yourself were the instigator of?

The whole fat and lazy comment. Ridiculous, unfounded, provocative, pointless.

Don't put words in people's mouths, twist the meaning and then go on a rant about unjust racism. That's what YouTube is for.

CoolClyde

Whatever dude you and Crazy 8's are both pissed at me from the thread rady locked up. Maybe two of us told y'all the KNICKS should walk LIn because it made no sense to keep him for that money. Now that it happened, you are even more pissed so you are now abusing your little new found power. Sucks to be wrong don't it???? Now you call me names and when I call you on it's like:"oh I was talking about the other jim, btw your stupid". Whatever. This is an open forum being viewed by everyone.

you're right because the idiot owner did what you thought should be done?
two stupid Jims don't make a right.

check out my post and tell me how I'm dissing you and not Jim Dolan
http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=243902&postcount=916

i don't know what thread you're talking about being locked up and I don't care, and I don't know WTF you mean by abusing new found power. you're one of the first people i've ever had a problem with on this forum, but you just continue to pour salt into the new wounds of losing Lin. "I told you so, I win, blah blah woof woof". i'm sure most KO posters would agree, you're an immature pseudo-racist douchebag.

STAT1

Starter
To all those who think Lin didn't want to play for the Knicks, you're wrong.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...says-interview-preferred-stay-new-york-knicks

Not for nothing, but all that stuff from Lin about him wanting to play somewhere he was wanted is a load of crap. He needs to be real & just admit that this was all about the money. If it wasn't & he really wanted to be in NY he would have just signed the initial offer sheet & not tested fate. He made a business decision for himself & that's that. I completely respect that. But the spin he's putting on this whole situation is beyond laughable. I wish he would stop trying to make the Knicks out to be the villain here & just be happy that he's got his money now. The primadonna act does not suit a guy who was about to be playing in the D Leagues just a few months prior. Linsanity is a tremendous story & we were all lucky to witness it. He needs to keep himself grounded & check himself. God does not look favorably on those who are vain. The Good Book should have taught you this by now Jeremy. ;)

STAT1

Starter
I don't care who is to blame, that can be argued all day, We also will never know how well Lin would have played if he had decided to sign here.

What we do know is that Dolan completely failed by giving Lin up for nothing....

Agreed 100%. Losing Lin without even getting anything back in return is the #1 failure in this whole scenario. The Knicks really mismanaged this entire situation from that standpoint. If a poison pill contract of that level was never going to be matched then we should have looked to trade Lin before he ever signed that offer sheet. I have a hard time believing the Suns wouldn't have given us Steve Nash for Lin in a straight up trade if we ever had doubts about keeping Lin around for the longhaul. But instead we had to not only lose Lin, but also give up future assets & another promising young player in Papanikolaou for Raymond Felton. To me that is not a fair tradeoff or consolation, as much as I think Felton will be a solid player for us.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Thoughts from D'Antoni, Melo, Tyson and McEnroe (wtf?)

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND (AP)
Mike D'Antoni was there for the start of Linsanity, Kobe Bryant on the wrong end of its greatest highlight.

LINSANITY!
Get the latest on the Jeremy Lin phenomenon. We've got it covered from every angle.
Knicks officially let Lin go
Gardner: Here and gone in NYC
Corcoran: No longer the underdog
Neither imagined next season opening without Jeremy Lin on the New York Knicks.

''No. Not when the kicker was they can match. I'm thinking, for sure,'' said former Knicks coach D'Antoni on Wednesday before the U.S. Olympic team practiced. ''Even when I was there, well at least we got him, we don't have to worry about him blowing up and us not being able to afford it.''

But the Knicks ultimately decided they couldn't or wouldn't.

Lin became a Houston Rocket on Tuesday night when the Knicks refused to match a three-year deal worth about $25 million, ending a brief but amazing run as New York's point guard.

The Knicks had repeatedly said they planned to keep the restricted free agent, and Olympians Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler both believed they would.

''I know the Knicks organization wanted him back, I know his teammates wanted him back, I felt like Jeremy wanted to come back, but can't pass up what Houston threw out there,'' Chandler said.

D'Antoni, who gave Lin a chance to play in February, resigned a month and a half later when the Knicks were struggling. He remains a firm believer in the undrafted point guard from Harvard. Bryant had no choice but to become one after Lin scored a career-high 38 points, outplaying one of the NBA's biggest stars during a nationally televised victory over the Lakers.

CASHING IN
The NBA's top 10 free agents all landed lucrative new deals.
''The plays that he was making, it didn't seem like he had too much of a difficulty making them. He seemed like he was pretty comfortable in making those plays and he was pretty consistent afterwards,'' Bryant said. ''His numbers weren't 30 and 15 assists or whatever, but they were more than solid numbers. He can play, he's a very good player.''

How good is impossible to predict, because Lin made just 25 starts before his season ended because of surgery to repair torn cartilage in his knee. His numbers were already falling by then, a combination of fatigue and a lesser role in the offense once Mike Woodson replaced D'Antoni, who is now an assistant coach on the U.S. Olympic team.

''I mean, I don't think nobody really has an idea what his ceiling is,'' Anthony said. ''What he was able to do for that little stretch that he played before he got hurt, he was at the all-time high, from a game standpoint doing what he was able to do, averaging 20 something-plus points, almost 10 assists. I'm ready to see what's next.''

He would have seen it in New York, but the third year of the contract, worth nearly $15 million, could have cost the Knicks more than double that in luxury tax payments.

''Houston threw something in the game that was kind of crazy,'' Anthony said.

Tennis great and New Yorker John McEnroe has gone to so many Knicks games in his life he long ago lost count. He was at Madison Square Garden with his 12-year-old daughter for that Lakers game.

''It had to be one of the top five of all time as far as the excitement,'' said McEnroe, who was in Times Square on Wednesday talking about playing tennis at the Garden in November in the PowerShares Series. ''My daughter was like, `I love Lin,' and she doesn't really follow the team. It was so amazing to be there; the noise decibel was just deafening.

''He sort of saved things, it seemed like. There was such an energy. I don't understand it.''

It's possible Lin may never live up to the deal, but D'Antoni refuses to rule it out. And he won't accept the idea that Lin was only a creation of his high-scoring offensive system.

''First of all, I think that's not fair to anybody, I think especially not to Jeremy,'' he said. ''For 20 games he was one of the best in the league and he was dominating from the headlines to even on the basketball court. So you can't discount that he'll never be able to do it, because not only did he do it, he did it at the highest level possible.

''So I'm happy for him, I think it's a great contract for him and Houston could find themselves a very, very, very good basketball player. At least he's going to be a good player. The guy's got quickness and determination, so he's going to be good. Now it depends on what level, nobody knows that, but I wouldn't bet against him.''

STAT1

Starter
You don't GET it. Felton was BROUGHT IN FIRST BEFORE HE SIGNED IT....
The Knicks NEVER made him an offer. What was he suppose to do?

As I understand it, the Knicks only made that Felton trade when they were notified that Lin was going to sign that 2nd offer sheet from the Rockets. They had every intention of matching that 1st offer sheet that was verbally agreed upon in principle by Lin & his agent, but when Lin decided to try & squeeze more out of the deal it pretty much sealed his fate. Please do not try & put this on the Knicks, Lin is a smart guy he went for what he wanted, the money plain & simple. No hate on him for doing what he thought was best for himself, but disappointed that he is trying to put this "I wanted to be a Knick" BS out there to make the Knicks look like they're the ones who drove him away.

Hayato

Benchwarmer
This wasn't an act of treason. This wasn't a violation of some sacred trust or blood oath. This was a player with the collectively bargained right to find out how much he was worth on the market doing so. This was another team with an interest in that player and the salary cap space available to sign him exercising its collectively bargained right to offer him a contract that increased its chances of doing so. This was how free agency works. Weeping and gnashing your teeth at that indicates that Dolan, general manager Glen Grunwald and company don't actually understand the rules of the game they're playing, which is about as apt a description of the way the New York Knicks organization has been run for the past dozen years as any I've yet read.

ouch.......

wow, this still going...

Maybe they know more about Lin?s abilities than the casual fans and the ppl on this board?. Did any of you guys ever considered that? I?m sure somebody within the organization was watching his rehab and if his game was effected by the injury. Maybe they know his knee will be an issue. And if he sucks and/or gets re-injured? not only will it be a waste of good money, but it will cause dissention within the team because there are players on the team that have been putting in consistent work over years (not days) and have yet to get such a pay day. That?s contract turned into Air Jordan money; do you honestly think he?s on that level?
People say we can trade him later?but who are we going to trade him to if he?s sucking and possesses a hugh contract? Who is going to want to pay a waived player for not playing?

If nothing else?remember the following clear facts. He?s an undrafted player waived twice, shipped back and forth to the D-league, and busted up his knee. NY media has blown up everybody that played on the Knicks. At one point TD was the toast of the town too?but we see what happened to him, right?

Also, I will ask this seemingly avoided question again?Has anyone here seen JLIN play after he tore up his Knee?

How many players do you know make a 100% healthy return after tearing up their knee and played exactly the same way before injury? I?m not talking about knee sprains here?. I?m talking about a tear that has the potential to tear again when that area of the knee is constantly going thru strain, flexing, bending, pounding, sudden movements such as cutting and jumping, and constantly hitting the floor. As reckless as JLin is? it?s only a matter of time before he hits the ground again and the IR list. No one here or elsewhere has seen him play any other way, no one knows if this undrafted, waived d-leaguer can change his game up so he doesn?t crash and burn during an 82 game season. Did some of us forget the fact that linsanity died before he got himself hurt? Perhaps amnesia is one of the symptoms that come with the linsanity syndrome?

One thing?s for certain. The ppl within the Knicks organization and around the league know JLin way better than all of us here?and their involvements (and lack of involvement) tell it all. The only ones going linsane is Houston and the casual fans. Houston just wanted their Asain market back; they care little about winning right now. But what?s the excuse for the fans? Well actually?The answer is quite obvious. We all know Dolan has the money, and has paid plenty of underachievers, but his reluctance to match Lin, IMO was a sign of being responsible and finally showing some dedication to the team FIRST. He doesn?t need that JLin money and we should all know that by now. Get over it and move on peeps. There's absolutly nothing we can do about it...other than whining.

Come on Real NY. This is the same org that gave Jared Jeffries that huge contract and he was a straight bum. If they seriously looked at Lins game and didnt want to sign him after they saw how he lit up teams first hand we're wrose off than I could have ever imagined...