Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
As I understand it, the Knicks only made that Felton trade when they were notified that Lin was going to sign that 2nd offer sheet from the Rockets. They had every intention of matching that 1st offer sheet that was verbally agreed upon in principle by Lin & his agent, but when Lin decided to try & squeeze more out of the deal it pretty much sealed his fate. Please do not try & put this on the Knicks, Lin is a smart guy he went for what he wanted, the money plain & simple. No hate on him for doing what he thought was best for himself, but disappointed that he is trying to put this "I wanted to be a Knick" BS out there to make the Knicks look like they're the ones who drove him away.

What is wrong with some of you people? Beside being spoon feed by idiots like Steven a smith and frank isola, can you guys think for yourself?

There was No offer from the Knicks. The rockets initial offer could not be signed until July 11th. Shortly after the first offer, the Knicks FO said they would match anything up to a billion. This was right out of the Knicks from office. As soon as the Rockets front office heard about that, they went all in with the 14 mil in the 3rd year. Lin got the offer and it was the ONLY offer out there. Before he signed, the Knicks flinched and quickly went after Felton. They got him BEFORE Lin could sign. After hearing the News LIN had No other choice. The Knicks already brought in Kidd, they then brought in Felton and promised the doughboy the starting gig. What the hell WOULD any of u do? Don't sign it. Wait for some ridiculous low ball contract? His negotiation with the rockets need to be in good faith. It's unethical for him to NOT sign that and take a 50% haircut to potentially sit on the NYK bench. He had no other option folks. Get your thumb out of your ass and draw your tongues away from Steven a smith's butthole.

There is no one to blame beside the front office of the Knicks. This is a screw up of biblical proportions.

WeReady

Benchwarmer
What is the 2nd offer sheet that people keep referring to because i thought there was only one offer sheet and then an agreed upon amount prior to him signing the offer sheet or am i missing something?

STAT1

Starter
What is wrong with some of you people? Beside being spoon feed by idiots like Steven a smith and frank isola, can you guys think for yourself?

There was No offer from the Knicks. The rockets initial offer could not be signed until July 11th. Shortly after the first offer, the Knicks FO said they would match anything up to a billion. This was right out of the Knicks from office. As soon as the Rockets front office heard about that, they went all in with the 14 mil in the 3rd year. Lin got the offer and it was the ONLY offer out there. Before he signed, the Knicks flinched and quickly went after Felton. They got him BEFORE Lin could sign. After hearing the News LIN had No other choice. The Knicks already brought in Kidd, they then brought in Felton and promised the doughboy the starting gig. What the hell WOULD any of u do? Don't sign it. Wait for some ridiculous low ball contract? His negotiation with the rockets need to be in good faith. It's unethical for him to NOT sign that and take a 50% haircut to potentially sit on the NYK bench. He had no other option folks. Get your thumb out of your ass.

There is no one to blame beside the front office of the Knicks. This is a screw up of biblical proportions.

First of all take your condescending response someplace else. I replied respectfully, please do the same.

When did I ever say there was more than 1 offer sheet signed? Please re-read my post before going off on some ridiculous rant. I said the original OFFER was VERBALLY AGREED UPON & the Knicks made it known that they planned to match. There was no signed offer sheet, no kidding! I never said there was!

News broke that Lin was planning on signing that original offer sheet on July 5th.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/07/05/jeremy-lin-jason-kidd/index.html

News broke that Lin had signed the REVISED offer sheet on July 13th.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/s...-offer-sheet-putting-knicks-on-the-clock.html

News broke that the Knicks traded for Felton on July 15th.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...6/knicks-blazers-raymond-felton.ap/index.html

Please get your facts straight & your timelines in order before posting this nonsense that the Knicks traded for Felton & forced Lin's hand to sign with Houston. That is not how things went down.

Who's the one with their thumb up their ass now? ;)

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
First of all take your condescending response someplace else. I replied respectfully, please do the same.

When did I ever say there was more than 1 offer sheet signed? Please re-read my post before going off on some ridiculous rant. I said the original OFFER was VERBALLY AGREED UPON & the Knicks made it known that they planned to match. There was no signed offer sheet, no kidding! I never said there was!

News broke that Lin was planning on signing that original offer sheet on July 5th.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/07/05/jeremy-lin-jason-kidd/index.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/14/s...-offer-sheet-putting-knicks-on-the-clock.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...6/knicks-blazers-raymond-felton.ap/index.html

Please get your facts straight & your timelines in order before posting this nonsense that the Knicks traded for Felton & forced Lin's hand to sign with Houston. That is not how things went down.

Dude, again you need to stop being spoon feed. If Lin had signed the offer on July 13, it would had given the Knicks a deadline of July 16. This is a fact. The Knicks have 3 days to match. This confirms what Lin said.

The actual date of The Match deadline was Tuesday July 17th which means he signed sometime on July 14th. The news of Felton's signing was Saturaday July 14th too. The Felton trade was in the works days before.

Again, why don't you keep that tongue right where it belongs.

STAT1

Starter
Dude, again you need to stop being spoon feed. If Lin had signed the offer on July 13, it would had given the Knicks a deadline of July 16. This is a fact. The Knicks have 3 days to match. This confirms what Lin said.

The actual date of The Match deadline was Tuesday July 17th which means he signed sometime on July 14th. The news of Felton's signing was Saturaday July 14th too. The Felton trade was in the works days before.

Ummm. Yeah. Lin signed on the 13th or 14th. Knicks had until the 17th to match. They instead chose to trade for Felton on the 15th. The Felton trade happened AFTER Lin signed the offer sheet, not before. See how time works?

WeReady

Benchwarmer

Again, why don't you keep that tongue right where it belongs.

To be honest with you and i will find the tweet I don't the knicks organizations was blowing smoke up Lin's ass because Felton was at Dolan's July 4th party telling a reporter than that he was going to be the Knicks new starting point guard take the information how you want it

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
Ummm. Yeah. Lin signed on the 13th or 14th. Knicks had until the 16th or 17th to match. They instead chose to trade for Felton on the 15th. The Felton trade happened AFTER Lin signed the offer sheet, not before. See how time works?

Dude, the Felton news broke on Saturaday July 14th. Lin saw the news hit as confirmed by SI. He have no other offer. He signs on the 14th shortly after the Felton news. This matches everything that Lin said in the article. The Knicks had one dateline. It was July 17th 11:59 pm.... Not 16. In order for the dateline of 17th, he had to sign on the 14. A signing on 13 would have set the dateline on 16. It's simple math.

Get your facts straight. Felton tade first then he signed. This has already been confirmed on the SI article.

LINvincible

Benchwarmer
To be honest with you and i will find the tweet I don't the knicks organizations was blowing smoke up Lin's ass because Felton was at Dolan's July 4th party telling a reporter than that he was going to be the Knicks new starting point guard take the information how you want it

Of course. You just don't sign a player in a few hours. It's been in the works for a while...

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer

Here's the point that I think LINvincible is trying to make: Yes, we all know about the first offer that was reported on July 5th. We know about it because it was leaked by guys like Frank Isola, Stephen A, etc. HOWEVER, as it turns out, the actual offer sheet delivered to the knicks was the one with a third year worth 15 million, 5 million more than what was originally reported. Because of this discrepency, it would seem like Lin Signed the first one, told the Knicks, then tore it up, then signed the second one. However, what actually happened was that the report on July 5th was wrong. Sportswriters these days are desperate to be the first one to report the trade, the first to report the contract, all in some effort to be seen as an "insider." In reality, contracts are negotiated non-stop until the player has signed on the dotted line. Of course Lin's agent was going to negotiate for more money, when you are negotiating a contract, whether in basketball or any other business, you always try to get the best deal possible. Moreover, this was not some effort to get out of NY, because Lin knew the Knicks had te freedom under the cap to match any offer.

So, what we have here are two scenarios.

The first is the one that Stephen A and Isola want people to think: Lin agreed upon one deal on July 5th, finalized it, told the Knicks about it who gave him the assurance that they would match it. He then used this "inside information" to get a better monetary offer from Houston.

The second is one in which Lin's agent and the Houston FO were negotiating a contract. During this negotiation, the talks were in the ballpark of 3 years 20 million, but nothing was finalized. Somebody then leaked information to Stephen A or Frank Isola, who reported it as an agreed upon value. In reality, all sports agents and people in the FO use leaks as a way to increase leverage and gain information during a negotation. Why do you think we have seen Dwight Howard already traded 4 times in the past 12 months.

With the report out and seeming acceptance that the Knicks would match the offer, the contract was renegotiated to the 3 year 25 million offer sheet. We do not know whether it was the Houston FO or Lin's agent who leaked the July 5th report, but the bottom line is negotiations are ongoing and no offer is agreed upon until the offer sheet is signed. .

Unsurprisingly, it is the same writers who ran with the July 5th report that are playing up the whole Dolan being offended by the "2 offers" angle. It is in their best interest to preserve their title as "insiders," because without it they are just idiots with a twitter. It just bothers me that these guys can never admit to getting a story wrong.... When they report a trade that ends up not happening, the deal "fell apart." When it's a contract like this, the guy "went back on his offer." Contracts/Trades are not final until it is in writing. Period.

And as far as how pissed he seems in his post....the guy's handle is "Linvincible..." you gotto cut him some slack. It has been a very rough few days.

STAT1

Starter
Dude, the Felton news broke on Saturaday July 14th. Lin saw the news hit as confirmed by SI. He have no other offer. He signs on the 14th shortly after the Felton news. This matches everything that Lin said in the article. The Knicks had one dateline. It was July 17th 11:59 pm.... Not 16.

Get your facts straight. Felton tade first then he signed. This has already been confirmed on the SI article.

http://[B]sportsillustrated[/B].cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/13/jeremy-lin-houston-rockets-offer-sheet.ap/index.html

Posted: Friday July 13, 2012 11:40PM

A person with direct knowledge of the move says Knicks guard Jeremy Lin has signed an offer sheet with the Houston Rockets. The person spoke to The Associated Press on Friday night on condition of anonymity because the move was not announced.
Another person familiar with the negotiations says it's a three-year deal worth about $25 million. The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the terms had not been announced, says the third year is worth about $15 million.

http://[B]sportsillustrated[/B].cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/16/knicks-blazers-raymond-felton.ap/index.html

Felton and the Knicks agreed to a multiyear deal Saturday, providing them another option if they decline to match the offer sheet Lin signed with Houston.

Once again, the Felton trade happened after Lin signed, not before.

WeReady

Benchwarmer
attachment.php

Pay attention to the timestamp at the bottom of the tweet the fix was in long before 16th of July

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 12.15.07 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-07-19 at 12.15.07 AM.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 26

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
http://[B]sportsillustrated[/B].cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/13/jeremy-lin-houston-rockets-offer-sheet.ap/index.html

http://[B]sportsillustrated[/B].cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/16/knicks-blazers-raymond-felton.ap/index.html

Once again, the Felton trade happened after Lin signed, not before.

This issue is moot....It doesn't matter whether the Knicks already had felton or not. It's Lin's job to get the best offer possible and then it's the choice of the Knicks to either match it or let him walk. The Knicks could have still matched even with Felton. Yes, they made the trade as a replacement, but the point is the Knicks knew that they would have the flexibility under the cap to match any offer, and decided not to do so.

STAT1

Starter
Here's the point that I think LINvincible is trying to make: Yes, we all know about the first offer that was reported on July 5th. We know about it because it was leaked by guys like Frank Isola, Stephen A, etc. HOWEVER, as it turns out, the actual offer sheet delivered to the knicks was the one with a third year worth 15 million, 5 million more than what was originally reported. Because of this discrepency, it would seem like Lin Signed the first one, told the Knicks, then tore it up, then signed the second one. However, what actually happened was that the report on July 5th was wrong. Sportswriters these days are desperate to be the first one to report the trade, the first to report the contract, all in some effort to be seen as an "insider." In reality, contracts are negotiated non-stop until the player has signed on the dotted line. Of course Lin's agent was going to negotiate for more money, when you are negotiating a contract, whether in basketball or any other business, you always try to get the best deal possible. Moreover, this was not some effort to get out of NY, because Lin knew the Knicks had te freedom under the cap to match any offer.

So, what we have here are two scenarios.

The first is the one that Stephen A and Isola want people to think: Lin agreed upon one deal on July 5th, finalized it, told the Knicks about it who gave him the assurance that they would match it. He then used this "inside information" to get a better monetary offer from Houston.

The second is one in which Lin's agent and the Houston FO were negotiating a contract. During this negotiation, the talks were in the ballpark of 3 years 20 million, but nothing was finalized. Somebody then leaked information to Stephen A or Frank Isola, who reported it as an agreed upon value. In reality, all sports agents and people in the FO use leaks as a way to increase leverage and gain information during a negotation. Why do you think we have seen Dwight Howard already traded 4 times in the past 12 months.

With the report out and seeming acceptance that the Knicks would match the offer, the contract was renegotiated to the 3 year 25 million offer sheet. We do not know whether it was the Houston FO or Lin's agent who leaked the July 5th report, but the bottom line is negotiations are ongoing and no offer is agreed upon until the offer sheet is signed. .

Unsurprisingly, it is the same writers who ran with the July 5th report that are playing up the whole Dolan being offended by the "2 offers" angle. It is in their best interest to preserve their title as "insiders," because without it they are just idiots with a twitter. It just bothers me that these guys can never admit to getting a story wrong.... When they report a trade that ends up not happening, the deal "fell apart." When it's a contract like this, the guy "went back on his offer." Contracts/Trades are not final until it is in writing. Period.

And as far as how pissed he seems in his post....the guy's handle is "Linvincible..." you gotto cut him some slack. It has been a very rough few days.

Billy, I'm not saying that Lin signed the original offer sheet, only that it was widely reported that he had already verbally agreed on it on July 5th. LINvincible somehow interprets that as me saying that Lin had signed 2 different offer sheets. Not sure where the disconnect is happening here but it's definitely not on my side. I'm aware of the the sequence of events that led to Lin leaving NY. Our friend here seems to have his sequence of events out of order. Felton trade did not happen before Lin officially signed, it happened after.

STAT1

Starter
This issue is moot....It doesn't matter whether the Knicks already had felton or not. It's Lin's job to get the best offer possible and then it's the choice of the Knicks to either match it or let him walk. The Knicks could have still matched even with Felton. Yes, they made the trade as a replacement, but the point is the Knicks knew that they would have the flexibility under the cap to match any offer, and decided not to do so.

Never said a disparaging word about Lin seeking the best offer. That's how business is conducted in free agency. I'm well aware of this. What I have a problem with is his spin doctoring of the story to make it seem like it was the Knicks that made him feel unwanted & pushed him out the door. His fans seem to have bought into the same kool-aid. The facts are what they are, Lin went for the most money & the Knicks traded for Felton & let him walk because they felt betrayed. Not sure why people are interpreting things in any other way.

BillyHoyle

Benchwarmer
Billy, I'm not saying that Lin signed the original offer sheet, only that it was widely reported that he had already verbally agreed on it on July 5th. LINvincible somehow interprets that as me saying that Lin had signed 2 different offer sheets. Not sure where the disconnect is happening here but it's definitely not on my side. I'm aware of the the sequence of events that led to Lin leaving NY. Our friend here seems to have his sequence of events out of order. Felton trade did not happen before Lin officially signed, it happened after.

Right but I think part of the disagreement is the wording, "verbally agreed upon." In reality, the negotiation was probably ongoing, but falsely reported as agreed upon due to a leak either by the Houston FO or Lin's agent. Saying "agreed upon" implies that Lin went back on an agreement for more money, which may suit Isola and Stephen A, but is probably not true.

Never said a disparaging word about Lin seeking the best offer. That's how business is conducted in free agency. I'm well aware of this. What I have a problem with is his spin doctoring of the story to make it seem like it was the Knicks that made him feel unwanted & pushed him out the door. His fans seem to have bought into the same kool-aid. The facts are what they are, Lin went for the most money & the Knicks traded for Felton & let him walk because they felt betrayed. Not sure why people are interpreting things in any other way.
You really buy the whole "betrayed" thing.....I'm interpreting it a different way because i don't think a billionaire would feel betrayed about a 23 year old trying to get a good offer. What i think is that The Knicks wanted to save the money (because they are cheap, not because of any cap reason), and saw Felton as a cheaper option.

STAT1

Starter
Right but I think part of the disagreement is the wording, "verbally agreed upon." In reality, the negotiation was probably ongoing, but falsely reported as agreed upon due to a leak either by the Houston FO or Lin's agent. Saying "agreed upon" implies that Lin went back on an agreement for more money, which may suit Isola and Stephen A, but is probably not true.

That's fair, but when news outlets are widely reporting that the offer was "verbally agreed upon", the Knicks obviously became aware of the terms of that initial offer, whether it was actually "agreed upon" or not. The fact remains Lin signed the best offer he received & the Knicks made it known that they planned on matching all along until the news broke out about the "2nd" offer. Not sure what all this stuff about the Knicks not making Lin feel wanted is based on but if that was really the case then the Knicks would never have put it out there that they wanted to keep him around in the first place.

STAT1

Starter
You really buy the whole "betrayed" thing.....I'm interpreting it a different way because i don't think a billionaire would feel betrayed about a 23 year old trying to get a good offer. What i think is that The Knicks wanted to save the money (because they are cheap, not because of any cap reason), and saw Felton as a cheaper option.

Why would a billionaire who has spent so many wasted millions on guys like Jared Jeffries, Jerome James, Eddy Curry, Larry Brown, Jalen Rose & Steve Francis blink an eye over saving money? Doesn't make a bit of sense to me. I read this situation as clearly Dolan's ego taking precedence over business. We've seen this pattern of behavior before (Camby, Spree, Isiah), Dolan is know for this.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
@STAT1

All this talk about the time period of what happened doesn't matter that much. The bottom line is, you're saying that Lin got greedy and signed onto Houston for a higher paycheck. That's not true. If Lin was really greedy for more money, he would have settled for smaller paycheck in NY and made 10 times more money off of endorsements in NYC.

He even says in the most recent interview that he's sick of people assuming he's in it just for the money. And he says he had a chance to sign for a crapton of endorsements but only signed 3.