Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The only reason I'm angry at Dolan is because he lost Lin without getting anything of value back in return. That's just a huge F up, no other way to say it. I'm disappointed that Lin isn't a Knick anymore but more than happy to go forward with Felton, Kidd & Prigioni. The loss of a valuable asset is what irks me to no end. Think we could have used him to get at LEAST a 1st round pick from the Rockets in a S&T if Dolan had even the slightest inkling that he wasn't going to match that level of an offer. I think the Knicks mismanaged this situation.
Can't argue that. I hope there's a good reason, but it doesn't seem like it. A first round pick would have been great.

WeReady

Benchwarmer
Race was always a factor in all this. It's why Jeremy Lin enjoys such international appeal amongst the Asian fanbase, he is considered a folk hero someone who has broken down longstanding stereotypes & brought the Asian male into the spotlight in a positive way other than the typical martial arts action hero or Yakuza gangster movie star. It's central to why the Houston Rockets made him that huge offer to begin with, they understand his marketing appeal & want to cash in on it. This is all big business at work here. The Knicks chose to make it personal. They never dreamed that Lin would sign such a huge contract, they expected him to simply accept a reasonable deal & show his appreciation to the franchise for giving him his big break. Dolan is such a dunce he doesn't care that his decisions are costing the Knicks organization millions & millions of lost revenue, he would rather make moves to satisfy his own ego. Lin & the Rockets made a business decision, the Knicks made a decision based on pure emotion to try & prove a point & lost a promising asset without getting any value in return. Therein lies the true tragedy in this entire fiasco, not the fact that Lin is wearing a Rockets' uniform. As long as this franchise is being run by the same imbecile of an owner, expect things like this to be the norm.

Your post is dead on but this is not the first time Dolan has gotten rid of fan favorites due to ego. Remember Latrell Sprewell and Marcus Camby. Yeah two young's stars in their prime coming of the 99 finals run. Well they violated an antiquated media policy meeting and with minutes dolan told scott layden to trade them ASAP. From then on I knew what the real deal was once the franchise was turned over to this imbecile. He is just a trust fund baby trying to throw his weight around when he holds no true power. Honestly we should of all seen this coming as soon as it was reported that he felt "deceived" Man has been doing this for years leads with emotion instead of good business sense and thats why the Knicks will forever be suspended in mediocracy as long as Dolan is in charge

I just wish he will leave basketball decision to basketball people like he does with the Rangers. Look how they turned out, sadly this will not end.

WeReady

Benchwarmer
The only reason I'm angry at Dolan is because he lost Lin without getting anything of value back in return. That's just a huge F up, no other way to say it. I'm disappointed that Lin isn't a Knick anymore but more than happy to go forward with Felton, Kidd & Prigioni. The loss of a valuable asset is what irks me to no end. Think we could have used him to get at LEAST a 1st round pick from the Rockets in a S&T if Dolan had even the slightest inkling that he wasn't going to match that level of an offer. I think the Knicks mismanaged this situation.

Like I posted previously Grunwald was set to match the offer, but CAA didn't want him here to block Carmelo's spotlight and Dolan got taken to business school. The first thing you do in poker is never show your hand. As soon as they leaked we will match "up to a billion" Rockets took advatange and changed the terms of the agreement. Dolan felt like he he was made to look stupid (no doubt there was definitely some encouragement by CAA) and said to hell with him. What I find hilarious in this entire situation is Lin's agents were in contact with the Knicks FO and they knew the terms of the agreement prior to it being signed , poison pill and all. They told him to sign it and wait for their response.

Anyways these events have been dissected to the ground and this whole thing is a big cluster****. Everyone loss including the fans, The FO, and Jeremy Lin

novaman

Benchwarmer
Like I posted previously Grunwald was set to match the offer, but CAA didn't want him here to block Carmelo's spotlight and Dolan got taken to business school. The first thing you do in poker is never show your hand. As soon as they leaked we will match "up to a billion" Rockets took advatange and changed the terms of the agreement. Dolan felt like he he was made to look stupid (no doubt there was definitely some encouragement by CAA) and said to hell with him. What I find hilarious in this entire situation is Lin's agents were in contact with the Knicks FO and they knew the terms of the agreement prior to it being signed , poison pill and all. They told him to sign it and wait for their response.

Anyways these events have been dissected to the ground and this whole thing is a big cluster****. Everyone loss including the fans, The FO, and Jeremy Lin

Sorry but you are wrong here. Jeremy Lin came out of this a big winner. He has a Huge contract, the opportunity to start on a team that WANTS him, and he won't have to play with Melo.

Mark my words. In a few years this will prove to be a horrible horrible move by Dolan.

Den318

Benchwarmer
Sorry but you are wrong here. Jeremy Lin came out of this a big winner. He has a Huge contract, the opportunity to start on a team that WANTS him, and he won't have to play with Melo.

Mark my words. In a few years this will prove to be a horrible horrible move by Dolan.

Agreed, i don't think Jeremy Lin wants to play with Melo. His basketball IQ told him that no team can win with Melo as the main guy. Melo's history of 1 and out back that up.

WeReady

Benchwarmer

Im saying he lost in terms of not playing where he originally wanted to be (of course he won contract wise but i don't think he pictured himself anywhere else but playing for the Knicks and for of us the fans, so in a sense yes he lost too)

And P.S This is not the first time Dolan has done dumb **** get used it, its been going on now for 12 years, nothing is going to change

STAT1

Starter

I think Lin lost out on a chance to build himself an awesome legacy in NY. He could easily have gone down in history as a NY sports legend had he stayed and realized his full potential. He most definitely lost out on a ton of international marketing oops as well.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i know its late but i wouldnt have matched the deal either. Everyone talking like were retarded for not matching, but at the end of the day he's shown us only a small sample(25-30 games). So im not prepared to pay 30 mil for that. He didnt play in the playoffs with reports circulating that he was at 85% watching him in that game vs miami he was horrible and looked scared. theres too many question marks surrounding him to pay him. The isiah thing to do would be to match but thankfully we dont have isiah. Now i think we'll see it even more, with lin practically alone in Houston you'll see him get zeroed in on more and that will cause him tons of problems unless he makes a drastic improvement. I always saw him as a good starter at best and i honestly think we replaced lin with a good PG in Felton. i lost plenty of respect for lin when he reworked the agreed upon offer and signed a more difficult one for us to match, i dont blame him for getting his money but i did lose respect.

CoolClyde

Official Jeremy Lin Thread is Now

Attn: KO Posters

Now that Jeremy Lin is no longer a NY Knickerbocker, we are in the process of moving Lin-related threads into this Official Jeremy Lin Thread; in an effort to clean up the site, PLEASE keep all thoughts, posts and threads re JLin within.

thanks,
CoolClyde Modulator

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Attn: KO Posters

Now that Jeremy Lin is no longer a NY Knickerbocker, we are in the process of moving Lin-related threads into this Official Jeremy Lin Thread; in an effort to clean up the site, PLEASE keep all thoughts, posts and threads re JLin within.

thanks,
CoolClyde Modulator

Nice one, CoolC! Sh*t's gotta stop for sure. Don't even bother leaving redirects for threads either. Or leave an expiring one that cleans up after 2-3 days. Also, remember to watch this: http://www.slutload.com/watch/axqHb...m_medium=aggregator&utm_campaign=seth_06_2012 :barf:

Benchwarmer
2j2zuwm.jpg

:lol: :lol: Man, are you dedicated to your cause! I'm impressed by
your graphics, by the way.

:thx::thx: :thx:

The following statement isn't just for your eyes, it's
for all the folks on this forum who felt/feel the need to
"argue" with and "criticize" the folks who are diehard Lin
fans. Pssst: This thread is called the, Official Jeremy Lin Thread,
for a good reason. I suggest if you're all sick of reading
Jeremy Lin comments (or any other player in the future),
then stay away from the thread.

One of my favorite acronyms: K.I.S.S.

Have a good night, gentlemen.
Keep the faith, NY Knicks!

new_york_knicks_logo1.gif

"Negative thinking destroys your brain cells.........."

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Lin again

The dust has settled and I have a final thought about Lin. I saw a recent article, emanating from Houston, with quotes from the Houston front office.

There was plainly an original offer which included a team option year in the fourth year and just under $10M in the third year. It appeared rather clear that the Knicks would match. The Knicks then went out and signed Kidd and Camby to contracts that extended into that third year.

The first offer was apparently not "formalized," but that does not mean that it was not binding on the two parties -- Lin and the Rockets -- if one of them wanted to enforce it. There was at least a verbal "offer" and a verbal "acceptance."

Most jurisdictions have a legal doctrine known as the "statute of frauds" which applies to certain purely "verbal" contracts. The formation of the Lin - Houston original offer/agreement would probably be covered under the law of Texas.

The Texas statute of frauds provides that an agreement that is not to be fully performed within one year of the date of agreement is not enforceable against a party unless the agreement, or a memorandum of it, is in writing and signed by the party to be charged. These things do not necessarily require "inked" signatures and I doubt that the offer from Houston was not memorialized in some binding form or another.

The parties, of course, could, by another agreement, change the terms. Certainly, however, for public relations and other reasons, Houston could not renege on the original offer. Nor, for the same reasons could Lin, if another team came in with a better offer.

What follows from this is that Lin could have insisted that Houston honor its first offer. He would not lose that offer, though he would lose the extra $5M in the third year of the new offer. Lin and his agents had to know that the third year of the new offer, worth an additional $5M to Lin, would cost the Knicks because of luxury tax consequences something north of $20M.

Five million dollars is substantial, but success in the New York market would certainly have made that up in short time. Lin's decision to take $5M at a cost to the Knicks of likely more than $20M had to tick off the Knicks' front office.

It is my understanding that Lin signed the new offer without even notifying the Knicks first. I do not think Lin would have done it this way unless he wanted Houston where he can be the alpha male. The Knicks are, of course, Melo's team and Melo is the Knicks' alpha male.

WeReady

Benchwarmer
The dust has settled and I have a final thought about Lin. I saw a recent article, emanating from Houston, with quotes from the Houston front office.

There was plainly an original offer which included a team option year in the fourth year and just under $10M in the third year. It appeared rather clear that the Knicks would match. The Knicks then went out and signed Kidd and Camby to contracts that extended into that third year.

The first offer was apparently not "formalized," but that does not mean that it was not binding on the two parties -- Lin and the Rockets -- if one of them wanted to enforce it. There was at least a verbal "offer" and a verbal "acceptance."

Most jurisdictions have a legal doctrine known as the "statute of frauds" which applies to certain purely "verbal" contracts. The formation of the Lin - Houston original offer/agreement would probably be covered under the law of Texas.

The Texas statute of frauds provides that an agreement that is not to be fully performed within one year of the date of agreement is not enforceable against a party unless the agreement, or a memorandum of it, is in writing and signed by the party to be charged. These things do not necessarily require "inked" signatures and I doubt that the offer from Houston was not memorialized in some binding form or another.

The parties, of course, could, by another agreement, change the terms. Certainly, however, for public relations and other reasons, Houston could not renege on the original offer. Nor, for the same reasons could Lin, if another team came in with a better offer.

What follows from this is that Lin could have insisted that Houston honor its first offer. He would not lose that offer, though he would lose the extra $5M in the third year of the new offer. Lin and his agents had to know that the third year of the new offer, worth an additional $5M to Lin, would cost the Knicks because of luxury tax consequences something north of $20M.

Five million dollars is substantial, but success in the New York market would certainly have made that up in short time. Lin's decision to take $5M at a cost to the Knicks of likely more than $20M had to tick off the Knicks' front office.

It is my understanding that Lin signed the new offer without even notifying the Knicks first. I do not think Lin would have done it this way unless he wanted Houston where he can be the alpha male. The Knicks are, of course, Melo's team and Melo is the Knicks' alpha male.

You make several excellent points but why would the FO leak they would match up to a billion dollars? why would they ask him to access his market value?

Knicks were trying to bring him back on the cheap, by front loading the offer of 5-5-3 in the final year, but nothing was definite they were just floating it around, Do you consider that fair value? Jeremy has stated that his agents contacted the FO prior to the last offer sheet signed. They knew how much it was and told him to sign it anyway. Grunwald was set to match but got overruled by Dolan.

Benchwarmer
For you, you know who you are. :mrgreen:

"Well, I think Jeremy Lin is a good player. He's going to have more success.
Tebow is a good kid, but he's honestly going there to be the backup.
Jeremy Lin is going there to be the starting point guard, and he did some
incredible stuff. I want to see him do well. That's one of the greatest stories
I've ever seen, to be honest with you, as long as I've been involved with the NBA."

~Charles Barkley

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
For you, you know who you are. :mrgreen:

"Well, I think Jeremy Lin is a good player. He's going to have more success.
Tebow is a good kid, but he's honestly going there to be the backup.
Jeremy Lin is going there to be the starting point guard, and he did some
incredible stuff. I want to see him do well. That's one of the greatest stories
I've ever seen, to be honest with you, as long as I've been involved with the NBA."

~Charles Barkley
329922.jpg

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Post of the offseason.

Wow. Just wow. I have wow all over my face right now.

All subsequent posts are meaningless. Now we can all get over it! Hooray!

Thank you, OT, for putting this situation to bed. You are the juggernaut poster on this site. Damn that was good. :aplause:

Uncle Robo

Benchwarmer
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8179341/nba-jeremy-lin-six-degrees-separation-lin-camp

"Of course, the only official offer would be the one the Rockets actually presented to Lin (and to the Knicks, if Lin signed the offer sheet), and that one had not yet been finalized. Houston, whether spurred on by Woodson's comments or not, eventually offered Lin the maximum that it could in a three-year deal, giving him $14.9 million in the final year to bring the total to $25.1 million. Lin signed the offer sheet on July 13.

While Lin's reps didn't have to call the Knicks, they telephoned Knicks GM Glen Grunwald to tell him about the offer. After sharing the numbers with Grunwald, they asked him for a reaction. According to a source, Grunwald said the Knicks had three days to match and he'd let them know once they got the offer."

CoolClyde

boldtimer

...It is my understanding that Lin signed the new offer without even notifying the Knicks first. I do not think Lin would have done it this way unless he wanted Houston where he can be the alpha male. The Knicks are, of course, Melo's team and Melo is the Knicks' alpha male.
:agreed:
quite possibly post of the year. if I bothered to vote on those damn KO awards, Oldtimer would
get my vote for something, just don't know what, probably the Oldtimer award. every post
intelligent and informative.

thanks Oldtimer! your two cents make a whole lotta sense.

blahwoop

Benchwarmer
Grunwald refused to answer hotel room door

Talk about Lin-gering over a decision. The Rockets had so much trouble getting their Jeremy Lin-signed offer sheet to Knicks general manager Glen Grunwald that they had to ask the NBA for assistance, according to the Houston Chronicle.
The Knicks ultimately decided not to match Houston?s three-year, $25.1 million offer. But that was after Grunwald ?refused to answer the door to his room at the Mandarin Oriental or come to the front desk to accept the offer sheet,? the Chronicle reported.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07...efused-to-answer-hotel-room-door-for-rockets/

our GM is a stand up guy. great decision by Dolan to make him perm.