Small roster moves I'd look to make right now

finestrg

Rotation player
I look at all of these as upgrades:

(1) Trade Jerome Jordan for a 2nd round pick. Immediately bring in Marcus Cousin to fill his spot. He's flat out a better NBA center prospect and would be more useful for us. Much more reliable game that D'Antoni would be able to utilize -- he's an EXCEPTIONAL jumpshooter out to about 20'. Good FT shooter too, about 80%. Plus he can body up and play physical, hit the glass, etc...Real solid jump hook and a smooth turnaround jumper in the post too...Where Jordan is the ultimate wildcard that just feels too green and inexperienced, this dude's entire game feels much more NBA-ready to me by comparison. Doc Rivers is starting to incorporate Purdue's JaJuan Johnson more and more now in Boston; I actually think Cousin has similar only better overall skills and he's bigger and stronger than Johnson (more of a true center at 6'11.75" 250+). I believe in this guy's game -- I honestly can't believe Cousin's not on an NBA roster somewhere right now.

(2) Either trade Walker (maybe in a package with Toney Douglas) or just flat out cut him/buy him out to open up the roster spot. Bring in either Manny Harris or Mo Almond (good call CA7) to replace him and back up Fields at the 2. I'd also take a real close look at 6'7" 215 SG/SF Mychel Thompson (Klay Thompson's brother) who was just cut by Cleveland. I know there's little to no evidence to support adding Thompson considering his 4-yr career numbers at Pepperdine (particularly the low FG%) and his cup of coffee with the Cavs were both underwhelming, but I dunno man, I see some good skills here with this guy, similar to his brother Klay. Listen, I know he's not Klay, all I'm saying is they play the game similarly...He actually played pretty well in the DL for a few games this past December and he did make that Cav ball club outta training camp which tells me he must've shown them something -- maybe the kid's a late bloomer and we could catch some lightning in a bottle.

(3) Find a way to clear one more roster spot (which is why I'd look to pull off a 2 for 1 trade for a player we could immediately cut or for a future pick we could tuck away for the time being --- maybe we look to package Jerome Jordan/Walker, Douglas/Walker, Jordan/Douglas --- and add one more frontcourt big, maybe one of these 3: Darnell Lazare, Greg Smith, or Marcus Lewis. Lazare's got a real good offensive game (post up, puts it on the floor well, reliable pick & pop jumper from 15-18'); Smith's a grinder that'll battle hard in close and so is Lewis, who's a very good rebounder and a double-double machine so far in the DL this yr.

Let's hear some more ideas -- minor roster moves to help better the club.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I would be all over the Marcus Cousin and Manny Harris moves. I don't really know anything about the other names on that list tho, I'll be digging up some info on them tomorrow during my spare time. You're usually spot on with all of these players.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
I look at all of these as upgrades:

(1) Trade Jerome Jordan for a 2nd round pick. Immediately bring in Marcus Cousin to fill his spot. He's flat out a better NBA center prospect and would be more useful for us. Much more reliable game that D'Antoni would be able to utilize -- he's an EXCEPTIONAL jumpshooter out to about 20'. Good FT shooter too, about 80%. Plus he can body up and play physical, hit the glass, etc...Real solid jump hook and a smooth turnaround jumper in the post too...Where Jordan is the ultimate wildcard that just feels too green and inexperienced, this dude's entire game feels much more NBA-ready to me by comparison. Doc Rivers is starting to incorporate Purdue's JaJuan Johnson more and more now in Boston; I actually think Cousin has similar only better overall skills and he's bigger and stronger than Johnson (more of a true center at 6'11.75" 250+). I believe in this guy's game -- I honestly can't believe Cousin's not on an NBA roster somewhere right now.

(2) Either trade Walker (maybe in a package with Toney Douglas) or just flat out cut him/buy him out to open up the roster spot. Bring in either Manny Harris or Mo Almond (good call CA7) to replace him and back up Fields at the 2. I'd also take a real close look at 6'7" 215 SG/SF Mychel Thompson (Klay Thompson's brother) who was just cut by Cleveland. I know there's little to no evidence to support adding Thompson considering his 4-yr career numbers at Pepperdine (particularly the low FG%) and his cup of coffee with the Cavs were both underwhelming, but I dunno man, I see some good skills here with this guy, similar to his brother Klay. Listen, I know he's not Klay, all I'm saying is they play the game similarly...He actually played pretty well in the DL for a few games this past December and he did make that Cav ball club outta training camp which tells me he must've shown them something -- maybe the kid's a late bloomer and we could catch some lightning in a bottle.

(3) Find a way to clear one more roster spot (which is why I'd look to pull off a 2 for 1 trade for a player we could immediately cut or for a future pick we could tuck away for the time being --- maybe we look to package Jerome Jordan/Walker, Douglas/Walker, Jordan/Douglas --- and add one more frontcourt big, maybe one of these 3: Darnell Lazare, Greg Smith, or Marcus Lewis. Lazare's got a real good offensive game (post up, puts it on the floor well, reliable pick & pop jumper from 15-18'); Smith's a grinder that'll battle hard in close and so is Lewis, who's a very good rebounder and a double-double machine so far in the DL this yr.

Let's hear some more ideas -- minor roster moves to help better the club.

so you want to get rid of whatever little depth we have for a bunch of D-Leaguers who Most likely wont be able to contribute in the NBA let alone brace the pressure of playing in MSG and will most likely will be cut and shipped back to the D-League?

The only 2 players on there that even look appealing is Mychel Thompson and Marcus cousins

if anything you trade Jerome/Td/Walker to the cavs for sessions proven nba player then you cut bibby you sign JR SMITH (if possible) maybe he takes the mle maybe not... Then you sign marcus cousins and mycheal thompson

Now you move fields to the position he should be playing (sf) he can come off the bench backing up melo so now your roaster should look like this

Baron/Lin/Sessions
Jr Smith/Shump/thompson
Melo/fields/Novak
Stat/jorts/balkman
Chandler/jeffries/marcus cousins

well balanced 15 man roaster with everyone playing the positions their supposed to be playing and point guard depth

CA7

Scoring Champ
or

trade Walker/Douglas/protected 1st for Flynn

trade Jerome Jordan for a 1st rounder(some team needs a big)

sign JR Smith, Morris Almond and Marcus Cousin

G- Davis/Lin/Flynn
G- Fields/Shumpert/Almond
F- Anthony/Smith/Balkman
F- Stoudemire/Jeffries/Novak
C- Chandler/Harrellson/Cousin

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
or

trade Walker/Douglas/protected 1st for Flynn

trade Jerome Jordan for a 1st rounder(some team needs a big)

sign JR Smith, Morris Almond and Marcus Cousin

G- Davis/Lin/Flynn
G- Fields/Shumpert/Almond
F- Anthony/Smith/Balkman
F- Stoudemire/Jeffries/Novak
C- Chandler/Harrellson/Cousin
this can work to flynn kind of injury prone though, idk who almond is have to do some research on him but this works to.

finestrg

Rotation player
so you want to get rid of whatever little depth we have for a bunch of D-Leaguers who Most likely wont be able to contribute in the NBA let alone brace the pressure of playing in MSG and will most likely will be cut and shipped back to the D-League?

The only 2 players on there that even look appealing is Mychel Thompson and Marcus cousins

if anything you trade Jerome/Td/Walker to the cavs for sessions proven nba player then you cut bibby you sign JR SMITH (if possible) maybe he takes the mle maybe not... Then you sign marcus cousins and mycheal thompson

Now you move fields to the position he should be playing (sf) he can come off the bench backing up melo so now your roaster should look like this

Baron/Lin/Sessions
Jr Smith/Shump/thompson
Melo/fields/Novak
Stat/jorts/balkman
Chandler/jeffries/marcus cousins

well balanced 15 man roaster with everyone playing the positions their supposed to be playing and point guard depth

Jesus, some of you guys man, I tell ya...LOL.

Bro, WTF are you talking about?

"Get rid of whatever little depth we do have" -- Huh?? Am I missing something here?? Billy Walker is TRASH my friend...Beyond trash...Completely unreliable and has shown me nothing that he's capable of taking the next step since he's been wearing a Knick uniform...This dude is what he is -- he'll pull a few 3s out of his ass now and again (and most are terrible shots btw, even the makes -- the dude's shot selection is the PITS), maybe even get hot for a stretch as we saw in the 1st half against DEN, in the game @ Miami, in a game @ Utah last yr, but then the next game he goes right back into hybernation for what seems like days on end -- the dude's pathetically streaky, very rarely puts it on the floor (never gets to the line) and is subpar defensively, all despite the plus size and athleticism. Plus he's woefully turnover prone...How is Billy Walker good depth? I'm dying to upgrade his spot -- I'd even cut him outright just to clear him off the roster in order to make the upgrade... Walker's a complete letdown...As far as I'm concerned, Manny Harris (who's finally 100%, over the foot problems and playing great ball in the DL now, not to mention he looked like he belonged in the NBA last yr with Cleveland) or Morris Almond would be substantial upgrades in my book...And while we're at it, I don't consider Jerome Jordan or Toney Douglas quality depth either. Jerome Jordan doesn't do any one thing well and TD has been given every chance in the world by this coaching staff to succeed and has failed miserably at every turn...Poor dude just lost his job..Looks to be out of the rotation now. On NBA-ready talent and skillset alone, I take Marcus Cousin over Jerome Jordan every day of the week and I'd actually look to use TD's roster spot to add a 2nd big (provided I added a nice off-guard prospect with upside like a Manny Harris), preferably a guy who can score in the paint to play behind STAT (which is why I like Darnell Lazare probably the best of the 3 DL bigs I mentioned. That dude has a real effective NBA-ready offensive game if you ask me). It's a little fuzzy, but he's some extended tape on Lazare I came across:

Seriously, some of you guys gotta get past this whole 'if you come from the DL, you can't possibly be any good' mentality... There are plenty of real solid players in the NBDL (and in Europe for that matter) that can play in the NBA, hands down. You gotta look with better eyes than that...If you're curious about a player and you don't trust the numbers, go on the DL web site, find out when that guy's team is playing and watch him play on Futurecast, right on the DL web site, then draw a conclusion based on fact, on what you see...That's what I do.

And how the F do you expect to get Ramon Sessions for Jordan, TD and Walker? LMAO..Come on dude -- that package is equivalent to a bag of rocks -- Jerome Jordan doesn't play at all, TD's been TERRIBLE and has lost his job/out of the rotation and Walker's garbage. I'm talking about trading these guys off for nothing, maybe for a 2nd rounder if we're lucky, just to clear the roster spots; you're talking about trading these guys for a starting-caliber PG...Two words: ain't happenin'.

I don't think we have the pieces to pull off a trade for a guy like Sessions (nor do I think we really need to) unless we start including guys like Lin, Shump and Jorts and I'm not inclinded to part with any these guys at this time...Lin's making great progress--we need to keep building on what he's done the past couple of games; Shump looks like he belongs and I feel he's only gonna get better (dude's a defensive stud already) and Jorts looked very promising before he went down....I feel we can make nice upgrades without parting with any true assets, just moving some useless pieces off the roster like trimming the fat off a piece of steak (letting Bibby go is another move we could make to open up a roster spot)...Every player I listed would be an upgrade over the bench players we have occupying these spots right now. The one player I'm probably least sure about is Mychel Thompson, although I'm curious about him, if he's really anything like his brother, etc.. He looks intriguing..

Last edited:

fender0577

Rotation player

"Get rid of whatever little depth we do have" -- Huh?? Am I missing something here?? Billy Walker is TRASH my friend...Beyond trash...Completely unreliable and has shown me nothing that he's capable of taking the next step since he's been wearing a Knick uniform...This dude is what he is -- he'll pull a few 3s out of his ass now and again (and most are terrible shots btw, even the makes -- the dude's shot selection is the PITS), maybe even get hot for a stretch as we saw in the 1st half against DEN, in the game @ Miami, in a game @ Utah last yr, but then the next game he goes right back into hybernation for what seems like days on end -- the dude's pathetically streaky, very rarely puts it on the floor (never gets to the line) and is subpar defensively, all despite the plus size and athleticism. Plus he's woefully turnover prone...How is Billy Walker good depth? I'm dying to upgrade his spot -- I'd even cut him outright just to clear him off the roster in order to make the upgrade... Walker's a complete letdown...As far as I'm concerned, Manny Harris (who's finally 100%, over the foot problems and playing great ball in the DL now, not to mention he looked like he belonged in the NBA last yr with Cleveland) or Morris Almond would be substantial upgrades in my book...And while we're at it, I don't consider Jerome Jordan or Toney Douglas quality depth either. Jerome Jordan doesn't do any one thing well and TD has been given every chance in the world by this coaching staff to succeed and has failed miserably at every turn...Poor dude just lost his job..Looks to be out of the rotation now. On NBA-ready talent and skillset alone, I take Marcus Cousin over Jerome Jordan every day of the week and I'd actually look to use TD's roster spot to add a 2nd big (provided I added a nice off-guard prospect with upside like a Manny Harris), preferably a guy who can score in the paint to play behind STAT (which is why I like Darnell Lazare probably the best of the 3 DL bigs I mentioned. That dude has a real effective NBA-ready offensive game if you ask me). It's a little fuzzy, but he's some extended tape on Lazare I came across:

Seriously, some of you guys gotta get past this whole 'if you come from the DL, you can't possibly be any good' mentality... There are plenty of real solid players in the NBDL (and in Europe for that matter) that can play in the NBA, hands down. You gotta look with better eyes than that...If you're curious about a player and you don't trust the numbers, go on the DL web site, find out when that guy's team is playing and watch him play on Futurecast, right on the DL web site, then draw a conclusion based on fact, on what you see...That's what I do.

And how the F do you expect to get Ramon Sessions for Jordan, TD and Walker? LMAO..Come on dude -- that package is equivalent to a bag of rocks -- Jerome Jordan doesn't play at all, TD's been TERRIBLE and has lost his job/out of the rotation and Walker's garbage. I'm talking about trading these guys off for nothing, maybe for a 2nd rounder if we're lucky, just to clear the roster spots; you're talking about trading these guys for a starting-caliber PG...Two words: ain't happenin'.

I don't think we have the pieces to pull off a trade for a guy like Sessions (nor do I think we really need to) unless we start including guys like Lin, Shump and Jorts and I'm not inclinded to part with any these guys at this time...Lin's making great progress--we need to keep building on what he's done the past couple of games; Shump looks like he belongs and I feel he's only gonna get better (dude's a defensive stud already) and Jorts looked very promising before he went down....I feel we can make nice upgrades without parting with any true assets, just moving some useless pieces off the roster like trimming the fat off a piece of steak (letting Bibby go is another move we could make to open up a roster spot)...Every player I listed would be an upgrade over the bench players we have occupying these spots right now. The one player I'm probably least sure about is Mychel Thompson, although I'm curious about him, if he's really anything like his brother, etc.. He looks intriguing..
Dude, you had me in tears, when you were killing BILL WALKER, every thing you said is dead on.Every time i see him and TD play, i sit their and wonder, how the hell are these guy still in the NBA, really sad.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★

While you make some good points here, lets be honest how many D-leaguers actually make it in the NBA or can play at NBA level? Very few do, yes our bench is trash walkers,td,balkman,bibby, ALL TRASH you can say we have a D-league bench even. And you want to dismiss the D-league bench the knicks currently have to bring in another D-league bench that leaves a big ? about if there going to come in the NBA and put up numbers immediately.

we already have a losing record as it is you dont dismantle the little chemistry we have to bring in all these new D-league players. D-league and NBA are two different ball games. The defense and talent wise in the NBA shatters the defense and talent in the D-league and it aint even close, even (jerome jordan) put up impressive numbers when we sent him and Lin there. If we had a winning record like the sixers where were 10+ games over 500 then we could fiddle around with these D-leaguers and see what we got, But with such a short hasty season and games coming within the blink of a eye we just have no time.

you have to take everything into consideration guys are going to have to learn the system learn how to play with each other get even more practice in. you dont throw d-leaguers into this type of situation. right now were fighting to even get back to 500. you work with what you have for the time being. if anything you sign 1 d-leaguer who you feel is the best out the bunch which most likely would be marcus cousins. i dont follow up on D-league much but i have seen cousins play and he would be a big help in our front court off the bench.

Last edited:

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
NBDL players are unproven and inconsistent. I understand finestrg's like for both development league and college players, whenever I'm watching the BayHawks I always have that feeling of a small town competition where everyone knows everyone. But, even the brightest NBDL stars have it tough in the NBA, how many perspective D-Leaguers who were invited into various NBA camps failed and didn't meet the expectations of their new teams? Rule number one: never give up your proven NBA player (even if not talented) for an unproven development/college kid.

We have two simple choices right now. We can try to trade Bibby/Balkman/Douglas/Walker (in various packages) to land a backup point guard for Lin/Davis or we can cut Bibby's corpse, make some room and give a D-Leaguer a shot using a 10 day contract. I opt for trading two of the above mentioned guys for a backup #1 and trying to get JR.

serendipity10

Benchwarmer
Best thing the Knicks can do is give Jerome Jordan and Balkman a chance. Another thing the Knicks could do is sign Devin Green to a 10 day contract, give him one last chance. If only it could be as easy as just signing Will the Thrill.

The Knicks struggle won't end any time soon with Melo sidelined, Baron looking doubtful for the season, and who knows how Amare will be mentally. The only way the Knicks are going to win games now is through defense. I know the Knicks aren't known for defense, but it is going to look look better the next two weeks.

J Lin - quick, stay in front of guys, talks on defense
Fields - quick hands, stealing a lot lately
Walker - getting better on D, only a fill in
Jeffries - always liked his defense, pokes ball loose, draws charges
Chandler - He is Tyson Chandler

Iman - top 3 in steals, and keeps guards uncomfortable

Defense will be the offense, and with an actual point guard who keeps his head up making great passes, could be enough to win games. Players need to step up and make the negative into a positive, time prove their game. Same goes for STAT, it terrible what happened, hope he keeps his head up and plays harder for his brother. Make the negative a motivation.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Whats with the hate for Bibby? All he's done is drained 3s and thats what you need to open the lane for stat to work his pnr magic. Walker and TD i can understand. Balkman almost.

jrdrny

Benchwarmer
I thought you guys were talking about demarcus cousins, i was like how the f are we going to get him for just that lol

skisloper

Starter
Stop dreaming you cannot get anything back for crap......

2 craps together does got u a better player.........does not work this way.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Whats with the hate for Bibby? All he's done is drained 3s and thats what you need to open the lane for stat to work his pnr magic. Walker and TD i can understand. Balkman almost.
There is no hate on Bibby, we just think it's incomprehensibe to keep around a guy who's always injured, he's missed 9 games already and he played below expectations in 14 out of 16 games, everyone can shine against Detroit or Washington and except of these two games he was absolutely invisible. Douglas at least tries and even if it doesn't work you see him trying, when Bibby checks in we practically play 4 against 5.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
I don't hate Bibby. Guy's an experienced player. He did great things for the Kings, and surprisingly, great things for the Falcons too.

I just think he's done with being "great". He's having trouble finding the hole as of late and his health isn't improving. If he few away defenders like the threat of Walker does, I'd be suggesting to put him in over Shumpert. At this point, I forget who said it on which thread, Bibby is like Eddie House -- the guy you put on the floor with other perimeter shooters (e.g. Novak and Walker) to keep opponents stretched.

Any change to an existing dynamic is disruptive. Not everyone can mix well with others. (See how the arrival of Baron Davis split the opinions of STAT and Tyson. Not everyone can work out like Victor Cruz did in under a year for the Giants.)

portega1968

El Cacique
I don't hate Bibby. Guy's an experienced player. He did great things for the Kings, and surprisingly, great things for the Falcons too.

:teeth: Falcons?
mike-bibby-laughing.jpg

Right now, Bibby couldn't keep up with Deb Sunderman with a flat tire if his life depended on hit. Even if he hits some threes, his PER would be lower than a starfish's IQ.