JR Smith To sign with Lakers

Oakman88

Benchwarmer
Sources tell me that J.R. Smith has already decided where he will sign once his season ends in Zhejiang, China. The talented shooting guard will forego better offers and the promise of a starting role in order to come off the bench for the Los Angeles Lakers. He sees the opportunity to play alongside superstar Kobe Bryant as too much to pass up. He also feels that, after a short stint in this season in L.A., he can then sign a long-term deal and recoup the money. Smith sees the Lakers as one more perimeter scorer away from being serious title contenders. Other teams with strong interest in J.R. are the San Antonio Spurs and New York Knicks.

http://blognbasketball.com/2012/02/s...n-with-lakers/

Martin Knezevic @NBAKnez Reply Retweet Favorite ? Open
Regarding J.R. Smith joining the Lakers: my sources are here in the U.S. and have known Smith a very long time. They're in frequent contact.

Personally I do not mind I dont think we need a ball stopper.

portega1968

El Cacique
http://blognbasketball.com/2012/02/s...n-with-lakers/

Personally I do not mind I dont think we need a ball stopper.

cosign_3d_lg.gif

p0nder

Starter
Honestly I don't care too much. He would start for us, but i am liking the shooting touch Novak seems to be bringing to the table. We would also be sacrificing minutes for fields/shump/lin by bringing him in. Those guys could use the floor time to get their confidence sky high and the chemistry right. I'm actually pretty excited to see this team play through a tough stretch without amar'e and melo. And when amar'e and melo are in the game, do we really need another ball dominant scorer or could we use more of the hustle/defense guys we have in fields/shump?

Friday against the lakers will be a great test for this team.

portega1968

El Cacique
TWITTER (JR Smith): Y'all really think kobe wants me on his team? Lol

Only place I've seen this JR 2 da Lakers was on this thread.

Nothing will be known until he gets his Letter of Clearance from FIBA

Still, I dont want this guy messing up the fine chemistry this team has right now.

mafra

Legend
With LIN playing like this: WHO CARES.

Actually, seeing Lin step up might sway JR to sign with the Knicks. Fields is stepping up. Novak gaining confidence. We'll bring somebody in before the deadline either way. A piece that will help. Plus we'll get Baron back.

Baron & Lin could be this year's version of Kidd & JJ B. Chandler is Chandler. Carmelo will be our Dirk. Amar'e our Marion & more. Shumpert our Stevenson.

Could it be?

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
With LIN playing like this: WHO CARES.

Actually, seeing Lin step up might sway JR to sign with the Knicks. Fields is stepping up. Novak gaining confidence. We'll bring somebody in before the deadline either way. A piece that will help. Plus we'll get Baron back.

Baron & Lin could be this year's version of Kidd & JJ B. Chandler is Chandler. Carmelo will be our Dirk. Amar'e our Marion & more. Shumpert our Stevenson.

Could it be?

Please don't make me get excited for this team again. lol

If everything works out.....

Toney Douglas- Jason Terry
Novak- Peja
Jeffries- Marion with no offense?
Jordan- Ajinca
Jorts- Haywood

mafra

Legend
Please don't make me get excited for this team again. lol

If everything works out.....

Toney Douglas- Jason Terry
Novak- Peja
Jeffries- Marion with no offense?
Jordan- Ajinca
Jorts- Haywood

This team WAS/IS always a PG away from a special run this season. All it takes is for us to get hot-healthy when the time comes.

Playing MIA in the first round, before they gather momentum might be exactly what's necessary. Plus we match up well with them.

We saw how lethal Carmelo-State could be in the first 2 games of BOS series last year. The key is having a PG contorl the rock and decide who gets the ball (Amare, Melo, other). Anthony & Stoudemire are 2 of the game's best finishers. But they're not facilitators.

Lin doesn't need to be Steve Nash. Just as long as he's much better than Douglas-Shumpert. Rondo, Chalmers, etc... benefit from playing with stars. Lin just gives us another scoring option, and allows us to run pick-&-roll.

You guys are crazy for not wanting JR Smith on this team. He would kick ass in this system and would be our 3rd scorer that we need. Plus we can move Fields to backup SF which I think would suit him better....... and I think the Clippers will try and go after JR Smith now with Billups done for the season.

New New York

Quiet Storm
You guys are crazy for not wanting JR Smith on this team. He would kick ass in this system and would be our 3rd scorer that we need. Plus we can move Fields to backup SF which I think would suit him better....... and I think the Clippers will try and go after JR Smith now with Billups done for the season.

I agree completley

We need a shooter who can also finish at the cup....the report does not appear to be official and The Lakers are working w/ The mini mid as well, maybe we can entice him with a starting spot and playing w his boy Melo!

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
yup Jr is not a MUST HAVE but it would be positive if we got him

Melo & Lin are the only 2 players that can play you one on one and break you off the dribble penetration that we have.

iSaYughh

Starter

This is spot on.

Until we are able to indulge our full MLE in the off-season (Mayo, eg...or Nash), having someone like JR *this* season will be a very big, immediate advantage for us.

When we're in a tight playoff series in the playoffs this year, a weapon will like JR would be very advantageous and give our attack greater balance and difficulty in game planning.

New New York

Quiet Storm
looks like the last 4 post have a common theme LOL!!!

I think JR Smith is more likely to choose NY, plus reports about the Lakers have been wrong all season!!!

Just last week Arenas was suppossed to be signing there for sure

KingCharles34

All Star
Hes a good player but I dont see how this works for the Lakers. I know they desperately need offense, and now that i think about it...its sorta like Kobe's the point guard most the time anyways. And as im typing hes defending Rajon Rondo. I definitely dont see JR Smith as a point guard