Lin and Landry will be free agents this year

MadJack

Benchwarmer
We're going to have to pay Lin some decent cash. I would let Landry go. He still sucks. Shumpert should be the starting 2.

knicksin60

Starter
If Lin continues to play this way, Melo and Stat should restructure their contracts so that way Lin can be signed for the max.

KingofNy

Starter
If Lin continues to play this way, Melo and Stat should restructure their contracts so that way Lin can be signed for the max.

If Lin even plays 1/2 as good as he's playing now he's going to be a TOP commodity in the off-season. There's no way in hell he signs for the MLE as teams probably will be throwing close to the max at him. If this keeps up I'm thinking we're going to need to find a way to clear some cap by trading a star. Not the preferred plan but we can't let Lin slip through our hands if he chases the money. It's been 30 years since the Knicks had a PG that good.

If Lin even plays 1/2 as good as he's playing now he's going to be a TOP commodity in the off-season. There's no way in hell he signs for the MLE as teams probably will be throwing close to the max at him. If this keeps up I'm thinking we're going to need to find a way to clear some cap by trading a star. Not the preferred plan but we can't let Lin slip through our hands if he chases the money. It's been 30 years since the Knicks had a PG that good.

He would take the MLW for one year and then we'll have his bird rights and we'll be able to go over the cap and match any offer

iSaYughh

Starter
Unless Lin keeps up this precise level of play throughout the entire season and post-season (unlikely), I think signing him to a ML deal is extremely possible, and likely, even if he continues to be great (vs the ethereal level he is on now, which almost necessarily will decline some when Melo/STAT return).

Lin has little meaningful NBA or college pedigree, and has come out of nowhere to explode in the last week. NBA teams were dumping him like deuces at a bathroom stall a month ago.

IMO, we are (fortunately) off-kilter when we think teams (outside of a small handful, including us, and the Wolves, who have Rubio) would splash big, potentially franchise-crippling money longterm on him.

Likewise, there's always the league perception that players -- especially PGs -- have their play/stats elevated under D'antoni, and that they crash back to more normalcy shortly exiting a SSOL-positive environment.

And from Lin's perspective, he is in the most beloved basketball city he could play in, and was sleeping on a sofa bed as early as this past week.

Getting a long-ish term ML contract, that still sets him up for an in-his-prime MAX deal once it's over, isn't something he's going to sneeze at. Especially when playing for us would almost assure him of the huge $ deal he'd be poised for after a few seasons here.

Let's hope we can structure it so it coincides with Amare coming off the books; so, what, 3yr deal?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Unfortunately they can't

Are you sure about that?

I'm not sure myself, but I know of the instance in which Shawn Kemp restructured his in the late 90s. No doubt under a different CBA, but has this most recent CBA disallowed similar terms?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Getting a long-ish term ML contract, that still sets him up for an in-his-prime MAX deal once it's over, isn't something he's going to sneeze at.
I would have never thought of this. It's only his second season, so he might be willing to be patient. He's also gonna sell a lot of merchandise.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Unless Lin keeps up this precise level of play throughout the entire season and post-season (unlikely), I think signing him to a ML deal is extremely possible, and likely, even if he continues to be great (vs the ethereal level he is on now, which almost necessarily will decline some when Melo/STAT return).

Lin has little meaningful NBA or college pedigree, and has come out of nowhere to explode in the last week. NBA teams were dumping him like deuces at a bathroom stall a month ago.

IMO, we are (fortunately) off-kilter when we think teams (outside of a small handful, including us, and the Wolves, who have Rubio) would splash big, potentially franchise-crippling money longterm on him.

Likewise, there's always the league perception that players -- especially PGs -- have their play/stats elevated under D'antoni, and that they crash back to more normalcy shortly exiting a SSOL-positive environment.

And from Lin's perspective, he is in the most beloved basketball city he could play in, and was sleeping on a sofa bed as early as this past week.

Getting a long-ish term ML contract, that still sets him up for an in-his-prime MAX deal once it's over, isn't something he's going to sneeze at. Especially when playing for us would almost assure him of the huge $ deal he'd be poised for after a few seasons here.

Let's hope we can structure it so it coincides with Amare coming off the books; so, what, 3yr deal?

Such resplendent posting, my good man.

Once Lin has played out his current contract, yes, an additional 3 years will see both Amar'e's and Melo's contracts completed.

Lin's current contract matches Fields', which is a non-guaranteed $762,195

Can a capologist please inform us as to the ideal approach in locking up Lin The Merciless?

KingofNy

Starter
Crazy⑧s;204942 said:
Such resplendent posting, my good man.

Once Lin has played out his current contract, yes, an additional 3 years will see both Amar'e's and Melo's contracts completed.

Lin's current contract matches Fields', which is a non-guaranteed $762,195

Can a capologist please inform us as to the ideal approach in locking up Lin The Merciless?

Like I said earlier if he even puts up half of what he's averaging now other team's with cap space needing a PG will be all over him. I don't think he'll sign for the MLE if he gets double the offer from another team. He's from Harvard, he's smart enough to know what he's worth.

I hope I'm wrong but I might not be. If he stays on a 16 ppg 8-10 assists avg then I hope we find a way to package Stat for some depth and sign Lin to the longterm after the season. Lin is the closest thing I've seen to Rose, I doubt he'll come cheap.

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Our Salary situation doesn't look good.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$59,188,422[/FONT]
and with Landry,Lin,Novak, Jared, Baron, Bibby, Bill becoming FA.
IF
we can't afford to keep lin or if James.L Dolan is not willing to go over the salary cap, than trade Lin while his value is high.

My dream scenario is for us to keep lin.
We could go over cap like we did in 2006/07 but the new CBA enforce a new Luxury tax might make it hard for any owner be willing exceed the cap in 2013/2014 Season.

portega1968

El Cacique
If he keeps on playing this way, there is no way you'll see Lin play in another uniform because we got the Bird rights. Unless, of course, he decides to go for less money elsewhere like back home with GSW. Thats why he has to be treated right... Its not about money with this kid.

moneyg

Starter
If he keeps on playing this way, there is no way you'll see Lin play in another uniform because we got the Bird rights. Unless, of course, he decides to go for less money elsewhere like back home with GSW. Thats why he has to be treated right... Its not about money with this kid.

we can match any offer J Lin gets and we can go over the cap to do it..... not sure what the situation is with Landry tho.....

skisloper

Starter
LIN IS OURS FOR THE KEEPING

Lin will be a restricted free agent this summer, meaning that the Knicks can match any offer he receives without respect to the salary cap. So if the Knicks want to keep him in July, they have every means to do so.

The Knicks also own Lin?s ?early-Bird? rights, which means they can offer him a starting salary up to the league average, about $5 million. If a team with cap room exceeds that figure, the restricted free agency rules allow the Knicks to match.

skisloper

Starter

Starting PG for tHE KNICKS.....and Loves Dantonio's system.
hes not going anywhere