The Cons Of D'Antoni In His Entire Time With The Team

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Always Dantonio's faults....does not matter about the roster changes, The fact that we were 500 before the melo trade, we were winning with Randolph and crawford......now for this season...no PG , Melo Hurt all the time and Amare slumping....
who was the last knicks coach u were happy with

That's exactly my point. We all agree that D'Antoni wasn't the best selection for this team, but since he's here he should get a shot with a solid stabilized line up. There has literally been a different line up each season that he's been coach. Remember how excited we were about Crawford and Zach Randolph? (Well, some of us were excited.) Randolph was a double, double guy night in and night out. That team was on the verge of the playoffs but they cleaned house for the Lebron sweepstakes.

All that said, I don't like the 8 man rotation, relying on the "3" and the lack of interior defense (prior to Chandler) and scoring in the paint. I'm not a drone that thinks D'Antoni can do no wrong, but we've got to put this into a proper perspective. How do you judge a coach if the GM changes the line up each year? If the team doesn't make the playoffs or doesn't make it out of the 1st round, then I'm with you, let him go. But who the hell fires a coach when the team is winning and just a few games under .500?

skisloper

Starter
That's exactly my point. We all agree that D'Antoni wasn't the best selection for this team, but since he's here he should get a shot with a solid stabilized line up. There has literally been a different line up each season that he's been coach. Remember how excited we were about Crawford and Zach Randolph? (Well, some of us were excited.) Randolph was a double, double guy night in and night out. That team was on the verge of the playoffs but they cleaned house for the Lebron sweepstakes.

All that said, I don't like the 8 man rotation, relying on the "3" and the lack of interior defense (prior to Chandler) and scoring in the paint. I'm not a drone that thinks D'Antoni can do no wrong, but we've got to put this into a proper perspective. How do you judge a coach if the GM changes the line up each year? If the team doesn't make the playoffs or doesn't make it out of the 1st round, then I'm with you, let him go. But who the hell fires a coach when the team is winning and just a few games under .500?

I was being sarcastic....I 100% think Dantonio should say.
I do not agree with so much that he does but I do agree that with LIn running his system its like the perfect offensive storm.......

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Giving Dantoni a "FREE-PASS" every 3 months of a season for the past 4 seasons
is the same as a Judge giving a free-pass to a "DWI" driver 3 times in two years,
or a wife-beater 3 times in one year.

How can u not average a .500 record having "Tyson Chandler, Stat, and
Carmelo Anthony" as your frontcourt bigmen?
all that's needed is for your guards to bring the ball up court....with Tyson &
Stat screening & picking for a moving without the ball Melo is 2 points, and
Tyson & Melo screening & Picking for a moving without the ball Stat is 2 points.
A double team Melo or Stat equal alleyoop pass to Tyson or 10 to 15 feet
jumpers for the guards.
Where the hell does all this 3-ball shooting and no movement from our
frontcourt players come from?
I watched Jorts in the NCAA playoffs and he was all over the place like a hungry David Lee.
Jorts on the Knicks were always at the wrong place at the wrong time....
we did not need any 3-ball shooting from Jorts, or for Jorts to start hanging
out on the 3-ball line on offense. Jorts can not play that way with Lin-Sanity at the point.
Since Lin-Sanity took over the PG role....we have seen a forever moving
frontcourt of Tyson, Jefferies, and Novak (Novak dont rest on the 3-ball line),
but the biggest change is Fields, Jefferies, and Tyson Chandler always
coming to the foul line to pick or screen PG-Lin-Sanity defender.

I dont recall any Knicks players buying into Dantoni's system in 4 seasons....
what I do recall is Knicks players hustling for a new contract by being quiet
about the No-plan-system, and the bold players that commented on the
No-plan-system got DNP bringing their trade value worth lower than what it
was before being coach by Dantoni.

throw all this out the window....the dui thing makes absolutely no sense here. the PLAN was not to have dantoni coach 4 guys and my gma at pg, so he should not be penalized for having to do so. he hasnt been perfect but neither has anyone in the nba ever. the intended outcome of bringing him on was to have success with an elite and complete roster. you cant say he failed at that before he ever had that roster. there is no better system for lin, stat and novak. we've seen his system light up the nba with less talent than he'll have when jorts bd stat and melo come back. it would be extremely stupid to have him coach a team he cant win with for years only to fire him as soon as we get a team he can win multiple championships with.

what if we bring in a new coach and he slows the game down and totally kills lin's value? knick fans will burn the city down.

Kiyaman

Legend
Always Dantonio's faults....does not matter about the roster changes, The fact that we were 500 before the melo trade, we were winning with Randolph and crawford......now for this season...no PG , Melo Hurt all the time and Amare slumping....
who was the last knicks coach u were happy with

Having no set design play to rely on for 2 points is Dantoni's fault.
Having the same offensive-play every time on the offensive-end is Dantoni's fault.
playing "man to man" defense on every NBA oponent is Dantoni's fault.
Averaging 30+ 3 ball attempts per game is Dantoni's fault.

Dantoni's sturborness of only using a small-short 7-man rotation is what
change the Knicks roster each season....
Donnie Walsh 2010-Plan only consisted of trading 4 players (Zach, Curry,
Crawford, Jefferies) contracts that went into the 2010 season.

Last season Dantoni's foolishness to DNP bigmen Mozgov & AR with an injury
prone Turiaf lead to Stat playing 40 minutes per game the first two months of
the season, which made Stat cry-out to the media of being tired & aghausted
to miss a couple of games & practices for rest. The media in return printed
several articles of the Knicks needing another top-scorer to help Stat out.
Which lead to the Melo-Trade....Dantoni is the one that caused the Melo-trade
with his small-short 7 man rotation.

Dantoni been only playing a 7+ man rotation in this 4 game win streak....
Jeremy Lin has average 37 minutes in the past 4 games.
is that good or bad?

Kiyaman

Legend
Take his criticisms with a grain of salt. This guy begs for the Herb Williams era again. ::facepalm::

u need to stop....Herb & Aquire wouldve been 10 times a better coach to our
players than (kicked out of Detroit) Larry Brown, and (kicked out of Phoenix) Dantoni.

D'antoni is a good coach. His offense is a quality system. All he needs is a pg who is capable of creating not only shots for himself, but shots for everyone else. Someone who has great instincts and is a quick decision maker. Look at what he has had to work with. Marbury and Duhon were terrible. It wasn't until he got Felton that you started to see the potential of his system. Then what happened, we traded him and the rest of his offense away. Now he has a pg who fits his needs. Look at the results he's getting now. It's pretty obvious something is working. He is a good coach, all he needs is a player to run his offense. For everyone who wants phil jackson, look at the teams jackson coached. Bulls and Lakers both had 2 of the top 5 players of all time. So before we go saying he's the greatest coach of all time and he will bring us an instant title, take some of that into account. He is a great coach, but also it was not like he was taking the clippers or wizards to the finals every year. Give D'antoni a chance for the rest of the year and I think we will be very happy with the results.

skisloper

Starter
Having no set design play to rely on for 2 points is Dantoni's fault.
Having the same offensive-play every time on the offensive-end is Dantoni's fault.
playing "man to man" defense on every NBA oponent is Dantoni's fault.
Averaging 30+ 3 ball attempts per game is Dantoni's fault.

Dantoni's sturborness of only using a small-short 7-man rotation is what
change the Knicks roster each season....
Donnie Walsh 2010-Plan only consisted of trading 4 players (Zach, Curry,
Crawford, Jefferies) contracts that went into the 2010 season.

Last season Dantoni's foolishness to DNP bigmen Mozgov & AR with an injury
prone Turiaf lead to Stat playing 40 minutes per game the first two months of
the season, which made Stat cry-out to the media of being tired & aghausted
to miss a couple of games & practices for rest. The media in return printed
several articles of the Knicks needing another top-scorer to help Stat out.
Which lead to the Melo-Trade....Dantoni is the one that caused the Melo-trade
with his small-short 7 man rotation.

Dantoni been only playing a 7+ man rotation in this 4 game win streak....
Jeremy Lin has average 37 minutes in the past 4 games.
is that good or bad?

Is it good or bad ?
Well first of all we are 4-0. I say thats good.
We have no back-up PG so for these few games until Melo comes back to help at the point or if Davis comes back YES I can live with that.
Check out some of the minutes other PG"s around the league have been playing. I guess every coach is wrong.

If you are buying into LIN which for now lets assume you are. Then I have to ask you is LIN"s praise for Dantonio just BS....Or just maybe he is correct.

AGAIN with Anthony Randolph....He finished the season in Mimmy very strong but have you not noticed his minutes are now very limited and he has DNP"s next to his game ?

MOZGOV....He was a work in progress......Yes the guy has gotten better but last year he was very raw...I got in early to the garden one game and watched as they were trying to teach him to see the ball to get rebounds...something I do with my kids....His improvement has been stella to say the least...BUT if you blame Dantonio for Mozgov do u praise him for LIN...
sometimes its hit or miss...but every dantonio miss you pound away at.

Yeah buddy your right the media and stats crying lead to the Melo trade....The fact that the Knicks cleared enough room to get 2 superstars and then 3 all along was not the game plan until the media stepped in....DOLAN wanted melo and u saw that based on the negotiations,,,NOT DANTONI.

I agree he has his shortcomings as does every NBA COACH.......How many knicks coaches have we all bitched about ????

You cannot argue Danotnio did not play Randolph without giving him the praise about playing LIN.

skisloper

Starter
Just to be clear, I am not saying I want Dantoni as the Knicks coach next year and would be unhappy if Dolan extended him now. I do think if he is able to have this team Gel when we are healthy and we can make it to the Eastern Finals or close to it then YES he should be back.

Paul1355

All Star
Can we just clear this up:

MDA did NOT EVER say that Marbury has a clean slate. That quote was from then-GM Donnie Walsh and has been misattributed to MDA on this board repeatedly.

Mike D said that everyone would have a clean slate, which included Marbury.