How good can this team be?

WrongIslander

Rotation player
if Melo and Stat buy in?

Do we still need another coach?

Personally I don't know if we do any more. My main problem with the Knicks was fourfold.

1) Lack of heart - No hustle, bad attitudes and a "Melo and Stat will do it all" mentality.
At the same time Melo and Stat are competing with each other rather than working together to be part of a cohesive unit. Jorts is a player who I believe also helps in this department.

2) Lack of ball movement and movement off the ball. Lin has sorted this out sure but it's not that simple. Chandler is improving massively as an offensive threat, Fields and Shumpert's movement seems to improve by the game.

3) Lack of defense - As big to the Knicks as the start of the Lin Dynasty has been the defensive play of Bill Walker, Jared Jeffries and Tyson Chandler and when you see Steve Novak facing up Pau Gasol and getting the steal then you know it's rubbing off in a good way. We've got high energy and smart defense all over the court now so there are very few easy baskets for teams and when you have Lin beasting at the same time we're at this moment a match for anyone.

4) Lack of leadership - Lin and Chandler are clearly the leaders of this team now and thought different in style they compliment each other well and the others seem happy to follow them.
The ball movement and PG is down to MDA. Sure he got lucky but sometimes you need a little luck and he's using Lin brilliantly and the offense as a whole is improving by the game and that's not ALL down to Lin because Lin is learning as well. It's a great mentoring job so far from MDA and credit is due.

Defensively? Yeah this isn't down to MDA at all. When I hear statements like the one he came out with about JJ then I know that we're moving in the right direction.

So whose name hasn't come up who is I believe at the centre of this revolution?

MIKE WOODSON.

The whole persona of this team has changed and even it seems the attitude of the coach and that can't just be a coincidence. I believe that MDA has bought into Woodson and so have the players and when you've got a player like Chandler to lead that defense, you've got someone who can carry that message home.

Melo and Amar'e should NOT be allowed to just walk back into this team and resume their sub par attitude and performances. They will have to adapt, realise they arn't the be all and end all any more and buy in. If they do that we could be frightening. If they don't the only question will be what kind of package we should look to accept for them.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks will be championship contenders next year, if they fire Antoni.
That's too much of an opportunity to pass up. Antoni's gotta go.

Jeremy Lin is the new head coach of the Knicks.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
The Knicks will be championship contenders next year, if they fire Antoni.
That's too much of an opportunity to pass up. Antoni's gotta go.

Jeremy Lin is the new head coach of the Knicks.

dude you gotta stop with this shit...hes 4-0 with a pg this year.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
If Lin can't make Melo and Stat play to an elite level I don't think Chris Paul would have.

Agree with this. It's not down to the PG position any more, it's down to them and if they are prepared to adapt to survive.

I don't' care how bad offensively JJ, Walker, Jorts etc are I'd rather see them out there working as a unit than go back to watching Melo and Amar'e jack up stupid shot after stupid shot.

As I say, they have the talent to take this team on to contention but they have to buy into the new mentality that has engulfed this team.

If they do that then the sky really is the limit.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
In all honesty when and if this team gets Melo and BD healthy and STAT recovers emotionally from his brothers death this team has potential to be one of the best in the league.

The biggest issue is like some of you said Melo and STAT have to buy in mostly Melo STAT has played this style and thrived before on the offensive end. Melo has to play off ball more, keep the ball moving, and focusing on just finishing plays.

As for BD when and if he gets back healthy if he's coming off the bench that would be a huge plus, if he could play like he did for the Cavs last year he can be a legit top 6th man and a real leader for the Knicks 2nd unit.

Kiyaman

Legend
dude you gotta stop with this shit...hes 4-0 with a pg this year.

So u think a 1-9 no-strategy coaching Dantoni had something to do with the 4-0 LINS....
ha ha ha....u shouldnt do this to yourself....a mind is a terrible thing to waste

KingofNy

Starter
Absolute championship contenders when Melo and Stat buy in.

This is the only answer.

I don't think they really need to "buy" in. They need to NOT hog the ball and let Jeremy run the offense. When Jorts and Baron Davis come back our bench will be DEEP! Skies the limit guys!

if Melo and Stat buy in?

Do we still need another coach?

Personally I don't know if we do any more. My main problem with the Knicks was fourfold.

1) Lack of heart - No hustle, bad attitudes and a "Melo and Stat will do it all" mentality.
At the same time Melo and Stat are competing with each other rather than working together to be part of a cohesive unit. Jorts is a player who I believe also helps in this department.

2) Lack of ball movement and movement off the ball. Lin has sorted this out sure but it's not that simple. Chandler is improving massively as an offensive threat, Fields and Shumpert's movement seems to improve by the game.

3) Lack of defense - As big to the Knicks as the start of the Lin Dynasty has been the defensive play of Bill Walker, Jared Jeffries and Tyson Chandler and when you see Steve Novak facing up Pau Gasol and getting the steal then you know it's rubbing off in a good way. We've got high energy and smart defense all over the court now so there are very few easy baskets for teams and when you have Lin beasting at the same time we're at this moment a match for anyone.

4) Lack of leadership - Lin and Chandler are clearly the leaders of this team now and thought different in style they compliment each other well and the others seem happy to follow them.
The ball movement and PG is down to MDA. Sure he got lucky but sometimes you need a little luck and he's using Lin brilliantly and the offense as a whole is improving by the game and that's not ALL down to Lin because Lin is learning as well. It's a great mentoring job so far from MDA and credit is due.

Defensively? Yeah this isn't down to MDA at all. When I hear statements like the one he came out with about JJ then I know that we're moving in the right direction.

So whose name hasn't come up who is I believe at the centre of this revolution?

MIKE WOODSON.

The whole persona of this team has changed and even it seems the attitude of the coach and that can't just be a coincidence. I believe that MDA has bought into Woodson and so have the players and when you've got a player like Chandler to lead that defense, you've got someone who can carry that message home.

Melo and Amar'e should NOT be allowed to just walk back into this team and resume their sub par attitude and performances. They will have to adapt, realise they arn't the be all and end all any more and buy in. If they do that we could be frightening. If they don't the only question will be what kind of package we should look to accept for them.

Good post. After tonights win my hate towards MDA is waning. On a scale from 1-10 I was at 100. I almost blew a gasket last week when we played Boston.

I'm still hating him plenty but I'm down to a 10 on a scale from 1-10. I would still like to see him play Jordan some.

MDA seems to be more involved on the sidelines now. He even called some timely timeouts.

Drew up a play after a T O for a three to Novak.

Didnt overuse the kid Lin to badly the last two games.

I think we'll be a force, BUT we have to hit our outside shots at a better clip.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
WHEN

1. when our 2 stars learn to FULLY gel together

2. When our 2 stars learn to move the ball around MORE

3. when we get ALL our players back at full health

4. When Stat&melo bring the defensive intensity every night like (shump, and chandler) :crossfingers:

THEN and ONLY THEN will we be unstoppable :thumbsup:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Well ball movement with STAT won't be a problem if he has a PG running the PnR for him. The stagnation came when no one was there to create for him, he might occasionally get the ball and bring it down low and get it swiped at and stolen, like he did so many times last year, but I expect him to be more comfortable on the court with Lin.

And I don't see the situation with Melo being that much different from when Billups got traded to Denver, and Melo deferred and let Chauncey run the show. Melo played off the ball more than he ever did at any point in his career after Billups got there. The issue is that Karl's system is predicated on scoring inside and getting to the free throw line, which would sometimes manifest itself in Melo holding the ball and taking his man one on one. But he was also fed the ball in the post, and we know he's a good passer, and willing passer (you don't average 4 assists if you're super selfish, he's 5th amongst SF's in assists per game behind James, Pierce, Iggy, and Hedo) So there's no reason why he can't move the ball if he trusts his teammates, and with the way things are going, and how he was talking to Lin & co. all night during the game last night, I don't see why he wouldn't trust them.

No more Melo playing point forward, and STAT has a PG to get him the ball, where he wants the ball.

Now it's just up to buying in on the defensive end, playing with heart every night, avoiding stupid mistakes, and MDA managing minutes and his rotation.

WHEN

1. when our 2 stars learn to FULLY gel together

2. When our 2 stars learn to move the ball around MORE

3. when we get ALL our players back at full health

4. When Stat&melo bring the defensive intensity every night like (shump, and chandler) :crossfingers:

THEN and ONLY THEN will we be unstoppable :thumbsup:

Well said, although I would definitely include Jeffries in the bracket under point 4 - he's been immense on defense.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
So u think a 1-9 no-strategy coaching Dantoni had something to do with the 4-0 LINS....
ha ha ha....u shouldnt do this to yourself....a mind is a terrible thing to waste

there was no pg to run plays and the team wasnt going anywhere so theres no reason to run plays. do you honestly think he was brought in to coach the MTA with no one else? of course not, we brought him in with the intention of giving him a complete and elite team. now we finally did that and you want to get rid of him.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't think they really need to "buy" in. They need to NOT hog the ball and let Jeremy run the offense. When Jorts and Baron Davis come back our bench will be DEEP! Skies the limit guys!
Melo needs a complete attitude adjustment and that quote I read about D'Antoni saying he doesn't understand spacing but he will tells me we might have "Melo/George Karl Part 2' between him and D'Antoni. He's a ball hog and I'm not sure that is ever going to change.

BachaCho

Benchwarmer
Melo needs a complete attitude adjustment and that quote I read about D'Antoni saying he doesn't understand spacing but he will tells me we might have "Melo/George Karl Part 2' between him and D'Antoni. He's a ball hog and I'm not sure that is ever going to change.

Yeah thats's Melo he will always be one but he is adjusting his game for the team he is starting to read the court a little better and is passing better... But with Lin and Melo and Stat the team should be extremely good because now theres just too much people to double team, if they double teamed Melo, just pass it to Lin for the drive to the basket and then he could pass it back to Melo for a open shot if he cant do it etc, if they doubled Lin pass to Stat or Melo for a mismatch or open shot etc imagine the possibilities

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Yeah thats's Melo he will always be one but he is adjusting his game for the team he is starting to read the court a little better and is passing better... But with Lin and Melo and Stat the team should be extremely good because now theres just too much people to double team

Also add Chandler to the mix -- although I doubt many players want to be near him in the paint.

While I agree that Melo will probably always be a ball hog, if the team limits his touches (because someone else will be scoring), 'Melo has the potential to turn every touch he gets into a score (either by himself or by drawing a triple-team).

If everyone was healthy and on the same page, we have perhaps the best team on the East. Our biggest weakness is likely Lin, or more specifically, no one to sub in when he needs to rest. Davis is still an X-Factor -- will we see Baron Davis of 2011, or will we see Gilbert Arenas of 2011?