"My God, he's a tremendous player" - Jerry West on Jeremy Lin

Credit: InsideBayArea.com
http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_19949911

If you know Jerry West, you know he loves great basketball, and he especially loves the players who create those moments and shake up the sports world.
If you know West, you know he has to love Jeremy Lin, right?
"My God, he's a tremendous player," West said Sunday of the New York Knicks guard, by way of Palo Alto High, Harvard, the Warriors and Houston Rockets.
West was in Southern California talking by phone, so I wasn't looking at him, but if he wasn't beaming and shaking his head at the same time, I'd be shocked.
"I thought he was a very good player," West said of Lin, "but as I've watched him, it's like a Cinderella story.
"Really a feel-good story, how hard he's worked, how dedicated he's been. Obviously his parents have been very supportive of him. ... I watched him play last night (in a victory over Minnesota). I said to myself, 'Where'd this guy come from?'"
West said he met Lin only briefly, years ago, and that he didn't scout Lin's college career at Harvard.
But watching Lin play with the Knicks in five memorable games -- and just four starts -- West said it's safe to conclude that Lin already has proved himself on the NBA level.
"He's just so clever," West said. "He doesn't overwhelm you with athleticism. But he's plenty athletic. He's just so clever, a little subtle change of direction.
"If you watch, Chris Paul looks like he's out there going to sleep playing basketball, just
little subtle shifts and maneuvers with the ball."

"(Lin)'s not as gifted with the ball as Paul, but he's really a very clever player. He's hard to read defensively; teams are putting different defensive players on him, and he just goes by them.
"It's great to watch, I'll say that."
Interestingly, while West was more than happy to talk about Lin and all things Lin-sanity, he laughed and immediately cut me off when I asked one specific question:
Did the Warriors' front office check with their most famous exec-board member before the team released Lin on the first day of training camp this season?
"I don't want to go there," West said, with a chuckle. A pause. "Just: No comment."
We'll have to make our own judgment on that one, then, but read what he has to say about Lin and I think West's view is clear on this one.
"So many times in sports we write and care about the guys who started out with a lot of attention," West said. "This is something all kids should look at. It's about more than him. He's living his dreams through adverse conditions ...
"I don't know him, wasn't aware of him. My son Ryan (a scout with the Lakers) liked him in college because of the way he played. I wish I knew him as a player."
So, Jerry, is Lin destined to remain an NBA starting lead guard?
More West laughter, like he couldn't believe the question. He possibly muttered a few words under his breath, but he did it merrily.
"I definitely think he's a starter," West said finally.
So what happens with the Knicks when Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire get back into the lineup?
"I don't know, but I see a completely different energy level (with Lin)," West said. "And maybe they need to play a different way. This kid has contributed something special.
"I hope it continues."

Wow. thats all I can say. I still cant believe we had a legit possible elite PG judt fall into our laps. wow

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Its still a shock to me too, I've been in linsanity mode for a week now
Same here. Usually on days when it's my turn for the TV I would have watched Knicks games on the standard definition TV in my room. Now I always go in the living room to watch it in HD because of Lin. Every game with him is a big event.

Man when you put it like that "we got two MAJOR pieces" this offseason its unreal.

I'm actually looking forward to the next game. I cant wait...

Forrest17

Rotation player
Same here. Usually on days when it's my turn for the TV I would have watched Knicks games on the standard definition TV in my room. Now I always go in the living room to watch it in HD because of Lin. Every game with him is a big event.

Yeah dude seriously. Its not just the wins either.. its the fact that he makes them SO MUCH FUN TO WATCH. Thats what I care about more than anything really. Earlier in the season even when we were 6-4 the games we did win were just ..UGH.. unwatchable, we just grinded out wins, there was never anything exciting about them.. no plays, nothing really interesting happening. I felt like we won because the other team sucked more not because we played better

But now, omg.. This is just too good. The games hes played in I don't even remember when I was this excited watching the knicks.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Upgrade C position from Ronny Turiaf (lol) to Tyson Chandler
Upgrade PG position from Billups (I like the guy but honestly he can't play P&R that well and well, look at the recent injury of his) to LINSANITY

Novak is looking good, Fields is playing great, and Shumpert is really starting to come into his own as the SG as opposed to the PG. It seems as if within the span of a week we've gone from a borderline lottery-level team to a team with a pretty solid 10-man rotation of:

Lin
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Chandler

Shumpert
Jeffries
Novak
Walker
Jorts

That's not half-bad. Maybe TD plays instead of Walker, they're both kinda "OMGWTFHEADDESK" players anyway

When Jerry West speaks, you listen.

As a Lakers fan, I was really disappointed that they didn't at least try to sign him before he got signed by Houston. Seeing as how we got and have been getting burned at the PG position for years now, I didn't understand why we never made a move for him or another young and fast PG.

The Lakers did have interest in him too. I knew about the kid when he was at Harvard and was really impressed when he went toe to toe against John Wall in Summer League and didn't back down.

At least the Knicks are on the rise. A lot of these moves here in Lakerland are making my head spin.

When I was in NY last year for work, all I heard was Lundberg whining all morning on the Leadoff Spot.

Thankfully that's turned around and you all have a hell of a lot of excitement to look forward to.

So, check out this Nike/Lin-inspired ad I did really quick. It's a great story and I love it.

Nike_Lin_logo01.jpg

petescud

Starter
Just think we actually atre talking more about one of our players then when will Dantoni get fired. Looks like Lin saved his job and our season. Go Jeremy

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It's just amazing. And look at the fandom even from all time greats.

What a story.

What a ride.

There's controversy or (progressively) far greater success on the way.

Danilo

Benchwarmer
The past few weeks have been so crazy. A little over 2 weeks ago Fields started playing like an NBA player again... now we had a SG. Then Lin actually gets some burn and looks like at the very least a top 10 pg, who completely fits D'antoni's system. Now we have a pg. We've clearly had a C the entire year. Now it's time to see if we have a sf and a pf. Amazing that at the start of the year thos were the two positions we were set at. (and I haven't even mentioned Shumpert)

tiger0330

Legend
Lin is fun to watch. Pulled a couple of rabbits out of his bag of tricks like the dunk against the Wiz along with that killer crossover against one of the fastest and most athletic PGs, John Wall. That spin move against DF had me rolling, what's he going to do next, stuff Dwight Howard at the rim.

West is right, the kid can play but he also makes the Knicks fun to watch.

That was a great setup and spin against Fisher, but I have to tell you....Fisher has been getting torched for a while. The lateral movement and foot speed just aren't there anymore. Clutch shooting, yes. Athleticism, no. But yes, great move.

I really want to see the Knicks against the Heat on the 23rd. Any chance to see them lose, then I have to watch.

Is Melo going to be back by then?

Number3

Benchwarmer
Dont forget about jared jeffries upgrading his offense and defensively playing a big role for us... he really stepped up