J.R. Smith set to return ( Wednesday )

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Please forgive me if this is on the front page. I am still waking up.

Staff report Sporting News
Text size A A A

After spending the last few months playing in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA), it appears J.R. Smith is heading back to the states.
Smith wrote Saturday on his Twitter account that he would be returning to the United States on Wednesday. That would make the unrestricted free agent available for any number of teams to sign.
77956-330-0.jpg
J.R. Smith spent last season in Denver but will be a free agent once he returns to the United States from China. (AP Photo)
He signed a reported $3 million in September to play for the Zhejiang Golden Bulls during the NBA lockout. The CBA legislated that NBA players who signed during the lockout were not allowed to return to the U.S. to play until their Chinese teams' seasons are over.
Asia-Basketeball.com reports that Smith has averaged 35.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists in 29 games while in China. Zhejiang has been mathematically eliminated from the CBA playoffs, according to Sportando.net.
Numerous teams, including the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago Bulls, Orlando Magic and Indiana Pacers, have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Smith.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...-to-return-from-china-this-week#ixzz1mGXdFOar

Number3

Benchwarmer
Who would be a better choice... wilson chandler or jr smith?? Man i wish we could get both and release a couple of our guys

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Wilson Chandler is a RFA and stated that he would like to go back to the Nuggets.

JR would be big for us, the true definition of instant scoring off the bench. Knicks fans better get on his ass and persuade him to play for the Knicks cause the Clippers are also making a hard push for his services.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
There is really no shot at anyone getting Will except Denver. They own his rights , and unless they cut him prior to March 1st ( RFA negotiating period closes ) he will have to wait until next season to play for someone else unless he can reach terms with Denver.

:2cents:Denver does not want to do us any favors I bet they are more upset about the Knicks resurgence more than our divisional rivals. It would be nice and a great way to finish building our team. Everyone could see he was coming into his own prior to the Melo deal. As soon as his name was thrown around in that trade he started to slump a bit. :2cents:

CA7

Scoring Champ
Well if JR likes Money we have the most

2.5M exception

every other team only has vets minimum

Imagine

G- Lin
G- Fields
F- Anthony
F- Stoudemire
C- Chandler

Bench
G- Shumpert
G- Smith
F- Novak
F- Jeffries
C- Harrellson

Oh Gawd

Number3

Benchwarmer
Same thing i heard... clips offer is less than us... so if thats true of course jr going for more money/fame/nyc/near hometown

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
Please forgive me if this is on the front page. I am still waking up.

Staff report Sporting News
Text size A A A

After spending the last few months playing in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA), it appears J.R. Smith is heading back to the states.
Smith wrote Saturday on his Twitter account that he would be returning to the United States on Wednesday. That would make the unrestricted free agent available for any number of teams to sign.
77956-330-0.jpg
J.R. Smith spent last season in Denver but will be a free agent once he returns to the United States from China. (AP Photo)
He signed a reported $3 million in September to play for the Zhejiang Golden Bulls during the NBA lockout. The CBA legislated that NBA players who signed during the lockout were not allowed to return to the U.S. to play until their Chinese teams' seasons are over.
Asia-Basketeball.com reports that Smith has averaged 35.1 points, 7.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists in 29 games while in China. Zhejiang has been mathematically eliminated from the CBA playoffs, according to Sportando.net.
Numerous teams, including the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago Bulls, Orlando Magic and Indiana Pacers, have been mentioned as possible landing spots for Smith.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...-to-return-from-china-this-week#ixzz1mGXdFOar

he's going to the clippers.. i can't see him going to ny. I would love if he does though

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
With Shump and Fields doing exceptionally well at the 2, never mind Smith's reputation as a disruption, is there really room for him?

I'm not so sure.

InGodsHands

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;206014 said:
With Shump and Fields doing exceptionally well at the 2, never mind Smith's reputation as a disruption, is there really room for him?

I'm not so sure.

exactly we already have Fields, Shumpert and Douglas we don't need 4th SG on this team.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Crazy⑧s;206014 said:

I'm not so sure.
Well if Bibby can get time, Smith sure as heck could. He might not have the best field goal percentage, but his skills and streakyness combined with Lin (and Baron when he comes back) controlling the ball most of the time is definitely a no-brainer imo. There's no one else to use the 2.5 million on, let's just get it done and figure everything out after.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
we dont even know that he'd be better than shumpert i dont really see the point. if were gonna bring anyone else in it needs to be a pure pg or a pure c to come off the bench.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
we dont even know that he'd be better than shumpert i dont really see the point. if were gonna bring anyone else in it needs to be a pure pg or a pure c to come off the bench.
Why do we need another pure PG with Lin and Baron? Smith showed he has good enough skills as a passer, he could even be a PG if need be. Smith is an electrifying and good player. This would be a GREAT fit for him and us.

Last edited:

portega1968

El Cacique
I don't want JR Smith because I believe he'll be disruptive to team chemistry.

Maybe I'm wrong, but, to those of you who are calling for the Knicks signing him, do you have any concern at all about his attitude and if it may affect the team mindset?

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Why do we need another pure PG with Lin and Baron? Smith showed he has good enough skills as a passer he could even be a PG if need be. Smith is an electrifying and good player. This would be a GREAT fit for him and us.

until i see baron average 15+ min for a week im gonna assume he wont be a factor. melo has skills as a passer if were gonna have someone thats not a pg run the offense (cant wait to hear what the haters have to say). honestly right now shumpert is playing at a level that i dont see any late additions matching. bringing in a sg would take minutes from two of our very promising prospects and if he gets chuck-happy it could ruin the chemistry we have. could you imagine melo seeing someone who needs to show hes worthy of a big deal chucking and saying hell no im gonna get my shots?

iSaYughh

Starter
JR is a novel addition to the team because he's the closest thing to a pure shooting SG that we'd have, and he has legit range.

These qualities will be made more important when Melo and Amare are put back into the lineup.

Baron Davis is going to be our backup PG for the remainder of the yr when he returns.

We're weak at backing up Melo at the 3, where Fields could help, and really, given where Douglas is currently at, a SG rotation of Fields/Shumpert isn't beyond the need for reinforcement. Especially when Baron is a question mark, and Shumpert could be needed to spell time at the 1 out of necessity.

Nobody should be sold on Fields as our starting SG, either, IMO -- especially when Melo/Amare are back.

Shumpert is still raw and prone to inconsistency; JR will allow us to use Shumpert more sparingly, perhaps, but also more effectively.

We need as much talent as possible; we could use a real shooter from the 2, with range.

If JR acts like a punk and plays like shit, he just won't be played. And he's going to be getting paid 2.5M on a team with Tyson Chandler, Amare, Melo, Lin, etc. If he acts like a punkbitch, the only ramifications will be him being branded a punkbitch.

edit --

Lin, Davis, Shumpert

JR, Fields, Shumpert, Walker

Melo, Fields, Shumpert, Walker

Amare, Harrelson, Novak, Jeffries

Chandler, Novak, Harrelson, Jeffries, Amare

I think that's ultimately the best 11-man rotation we can have this season. Shumpert will get modest, but very high-impact minutes, and be developed well in this situation. And having more depth in a season like this can't be discounted.

nyk_nyk

All Star
JR is a novel addition to the team because he's the closest thing to a pure shooting SG that we'd have, and he has legit range.

These qualities will be made more important when Melo and Amare are put back into the lineup.

Baron Davis is going to be our backup PG for the remainder of the yr when he returns.

We're weak at backing up Melo at the 3, where Fields could help, and really, given where Douglas is currently at, a SG rotation of Fields/Shumpert isn't beyond the need for reinforcement. Especially when Baron is a question mark, and Shumpert could be needed to spell time at the 1 out of necessity.

Nobody should be sold on Fields as our starting SG, either, IMO -- especially when Melo/Amare are back.

Shumpert is still raw and prone to inconsistency; JR will allow us to use Shumpert more sparingly, perhaps, but also more effectively.

We need as much talent as possible; we could use a real shooter from the 2, with range.

If JR acts like a punk and plays like shit, he just won't be played. And he's going to be getting paid 2.5M on a team with Tyson Chandler, Amare, Melo, Lin, etc. If he acts like a punkbitch, the only ramifications will be him being branded a punkbitch.

edit --

Lin, Davis, Shumpert

JR, Fields, Shumpert, Walker

Melo, Fields, Shumpert, Walker

Amare, Harrelson, Novak, Jeffries

Chandler, Novak, Harrelson, Jeffries, Amare

I think that's ultimately the best 11-man rotation we can have this season. Shumpert will get modest, but very high-impact minutes, and be developed well in this situation. And having more depth in a season like this can't be discounted.

Can you imagine the possibilities if Phil had the opportunity to coach this lineup?