Iman Shumpert WILL be in the 2012 Sprite Slam Dunk contest!

CREDIT: Marc Stein ESPN

He won't be dunking, exactly, but New York Knicks sensation Jeremy Lin has been invited to take part in the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest at All-Star Weekend in Orlando.
Sources with knowledge of the league's plans told ESPN.com that Knicks rookie Iman Shumpert -- one of four dunk-contest entrants alongside Houston Rockets forward Chase Budinger, Indiana Pacers swingman Paul George and Minnesota Timberwolves rookie Derrick Williams -- will be enlisting Lin to "assist" him in a manner similar to the help 2011 champion Blake Griffin got from then-Los Angeles Clippers teammate Baron Davis.

Lin, a second-year point guard, has started six games and led the Knicks to seven straight wins. His strong performance the past two weeks has drawn international attention, including from President Barack Obama, and led to debate about whether he would be invited to participate in All-Star Weekend.
The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that the NBA is expected to make Lin part of the field for the Haier Shooting Stars competition during All-Star Saturday night, which would enable him to join Shumpert's dunk routine as well. NBA commissioner David Stern told USA Today earlier this week that Lin will not be a special late addition to the annual Rising Stars game featuring rookies and second-year players All-Star Weekend.
Griffin is not defending his dunk title, but sources said that the annual dunk contest has a new format which will consist of only one round and in which the winner will be solely determined by fan vote.
All four competitors in the 2012 dunk field are first-timers and will be formally announced later Thursday, sources said. Each entrant will get three dunks, with fan voting to open after the foursome completes their first dunks.
When Griffin won on his home court at Staples Center last season -- most notably leaping over the hood of a car and slamming home a lob from Davis as the former Clipper peered out of the sun roof -- dunkers had to complete two rounds, with the first scored by a panel of courtside judges which determined the two finalists.
Only fan voting will be utilized in the new format, via Twitter for the first time, in addition to online and text voting.

:gony::gony::gony::gony::gony::gony:

Shump vs DWill in the finals

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Not sure how I feel about the voting. On the plus side Kia can't buy the winner, but why let people vote with 67% of the competition left? I guess it could be worse, I don't see a name that's gonna get votes regardless of what they do.

I'm not surprise, this dude has some serious hops.

imo, maybe it's just me...but the dunk contest isn't what it used to be.

The creativity has been lacking. I'm still shaking my head at Griffins lame dunk over the hood of a small car (he should have done the cannonball one in his commercial).

If they want to turn allstar break in to advertisement weekend...i'll pass until they get back to displaying unique skillz...something that will make me jump the **** out of my seat.

Wargames

Starter
Oh its going to suck but I like Iman there they snubbed him for the rookie sophmore game. He has been a consistent top 10 on the rookie ladder with a lot of time in the top 5 rookies. So there is nothing wrong with him getting some all star shine somehow.

Also you know they have to get Lin involved in All Star weekend.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Oh its going to suck but I like Iman there they snubbed him for the rookie sophmore game. He has been a consistent top 10 on the rookie ladder with a lot of time in the top 5 rookies. So there is nothing wrong with him getting some all star shine somehow.

Also you know they have to get Lin involved in All Star weekend.

Yea, but what does the NBA say to the car company that paid for John Wall to win in the vicinity of their car when he now has to go against lin?

tiger0330

Legend
Congrats to Iman but that dunk contest gets weaker and weaker every year. WTF, Chase Budinger a contestant, there are dozens of guys that should be in dunk contest ahead of him. And that new format sucks, one round and the fans vote for the winner.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Kinda surprised since he missed most of his dunks this season lol.

For some reason I was confused reading this article at first and thought Marc Stein said Lin was invited to dunk in the contest.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
Shump will win this contest easily, Derrick Williams is the closest competitor.

WTF with Chase Budinger?? LOL:barf:

p0nder

Starter
Paul George has some nice in game dunks but i don't think he's a drunk contest kinda guy. I like Iman's chances. Nice to have more knicks involved at the ASW. With Lin passing to him Iman should win this easily on the fan voting.

I guess the new format is to shut up everyone saying it was fixed last year?

I dunno, but I was impressed with some of the new things guys are trying. Would be nice to have some big names come out for the dunk contest though instead of rookies and such. I wanna see an ultimate dunk show down with guys like Dwight and lebron and Amar'e throwin down.

portega1968

El Cacique
Shump will win this contest easily, Derrick Williams is the closest competitor.

WTF with Chase Budinger?? LOL:barf:

I'll be rooting for our boy, but do not discount Chase Budinger. He's like a funky version of Jon Barry going to the rim. I think he has a real chance, and even more with fan voting making the call.

One statistic that jumps up at this chosen group for the slam contest: Shump, George, DWill and Budinger have combined for 55 dunks this year... Tyson Chandler has 63 dunks and is 5th on the dunk-o-meter!!!

CA7

Scoring Champ
you know what pisses me off, Shumpert is IN the dunk contest yet all they're talking about is that Lin will be assisting him in the dunk contest, hopefully Lin silences all that so Shumpert can get some shine because he's having a helluva season

onex0is0

Benchwarmer
I hope Lin will NOT assist Shumpert in the dunk contest. It's unfair because it will be decided by the fans. Lin's assist will sckew? (brain-freeze, how do you spell that word?) the outcome. Shumpert is a good dunker in his own right and I want him to win without Lin's fans voting.

An idea: Shumpert should do a dunk (some role playing) involving the couch that Lin's slept on. Now that would be FUNNY!

Someone, please tweet Shumpert that idea, because I don't twitter or do facebook.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
shumpert Dunk Contest

-rush Hour Song Comes On

-the Spotlight Is On Lin And Shump As They Do The Skit From Rush Hours Song what Is It Good For War!! HUU!! What Is It Good For

-they Get The Crowd Involved Crowd Begins To Sing and clap Along

-shump Gets Ready As Lin Throws Up The Ball For The Game Winning Dunk By Shump

- Shump Does Something Spectacular Slightly Over Rated

- The Crowd Goes Crazy

- Shump Daddy Comes Out Victorious.

KingCharles34

All Star
I havent watched the video posted by Stephon marbury yet, but how is Shumpert a good dunker? Hes a great athlete but his small hands make him miss a larger percentage of his dunks then any other player in the NBA not named Jared Jeffries

fender0577

Rotation player
Shump misses to many dunks in the game, he should be working on that mid range jumper, forget about dunking, i still love ya shump:gony: