Knicks will be looking to make a trade

portega1968

El Cacique
Releasing Balkman instead of Walker convinces me that the Knicks will be aggressively looking to trade at the deadline, at least to get a pick or a decent role player, with Walker's expiring and one of our young guys (Shump or Fields) as bait.

Cutting balkman didnt come down to playing time or who we rather keep. The first guys management wouldve want to cut would be the players that are at the end of their deals (Bibby, Walker, Davis, Novak and Jeffries).

TD and Balkman were not expiring deals, and no way we would've let go of Davis, Novak or Jeffries.

First choice was between Walker and Bibby, but we cant cut Bibby unless Baron is back.

But, if we cut Walker, then we would be losing a valuable trade chip for the March 15th deadline. Balkman had absolutely no trade value until February 2013.

Believe me, for management to leave Balkman's money on the cap for next year instead of cutting Walker, it means they are not done dealing. Dont give me the excuse that Walker was playing good, bla bla bla... He is not worthy of more minutes than Jeffries or Novak when Melo comes back. He was gonna ride the pine big time!!!

These decisions are about money and bargaining power, and that saved Walker from being cut today.

I assume this guy is thinking the same way and let on with this hint in a tweet today:

Al Iannazzone: ?@bleekOne00: are #Knicks done dealing? Or are other moves in progress? No team is done until trade deadline passes. They'll keep looking.

So, my guess is we are either looking for a good pick in the next draft, or some role player than can back up the frontline or Lin if Davis fails to come back strong. Walker will be gone by March 15th... take that to the bank.

portega1968

El Cacique
I would put money on Knicks bringing in Ramon Sessions by March 15th, with Walker, TD and Davis shipped to Cleveland

For anyone who is still expecting Davis to be an effective player for us this season, I hear Wall Street is giving away free Apple stock this afternoon for anyone who shows up at the Stock Exchange.

Davis has already exceeded his 8week timetable and is still a couple of weeks away from seeing game time. Am I the only one who thinks something smells fishy?

iSaYughh

Starter
Probably right. If we can score a PG of Sessions caliber to backup Lin this season, we do it in a heart beat.

Idk if we have enough to pull it off, though?

I think we'll have to package a 2nd rounder.

If Sessions falls through, I think we just dump em and try to get a 2nd.

Going forward, having as many picks as possible will be key, as we try to find value out of the draft, 2nd rounders especially.

Probably right. If we can score a PG of Sessions caliber to backup Lin this season, we do it in a heart beat.

Idk if we have enough to pull it off, though?

I think we'll have to package a 2nd rounder.

If Sessions falls through, I think we just dump em and try to get a 2nd.

Going forward, having as many picks as possible will be key, as we try to find value out of the draft, 2nd rounders especially.
We have a 2nd rounder this year thank god cause this draft is going to be deeeeep. Im looking at Fab Melo, Seth Curry, Moe Harkless, or LeBryan Nash

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
I would put money on Knicks bringing in Ramon Sessions by March 15th, with Walker, TD and Davis shipped to Cleveland

For anyone who is still expecting Davis to be an effective player for us this season, I hear Wall Street is giving away free Apple stock this afternoon for anyone who shows up at the Stock Exchange.

Davis has already exceeded his 8week timetable and is still a couple of weeks away from seeing game time. Am I the only one who thinks something smells fishy?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Cleveland can take Baron Davis after using the amentesy clause. I might be wrong with the new CBA and stuff.

portega1968

El Cacique
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Cleveland can take Baron Davis after using the amentesy clause. I might be wrong with the new CBA and stuff.

I think that meant they couldnt pick him up in waivers... a trade is an entirely different scenario and he will be tradeable on March 1

unloopme

Benchwarmer

OK, I'll bite.
First, why would Cleveland make this deal?
Second, what IS the fishy smell?

portega1968

El Cacique
OK, I'll bite.
First, why would Cleveland make this deal?
Second, what IS the fishy smell?

First, why would Cleveland trade Sessions in the first place:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-must-trade-ramon-sessions-for-future-assets

Second, why would they do the deal with the Knicks? In TD they get a cheap young player who can score and also backup Irving, while clearing up salary. They would definitely want some picks in there also. If Davis is playing, that's someone they would gladly take back to mentor Irving.

Fishy smell? We are not being told the truth about Davis (his original timeline was 4 to 8 weeks, and that has passed and he is still not practicing:

Baron Davis (back) did not practice Monday.

The daily Davis questions have stopped now that Jeremy Lin has taken over. Even if Davis was surprisingly able to get to 100 percent and sustain health, he's an extreme longshot to take over for Lin. There's no target date for Baron right now. Feb 13 - 12:31 PM

Source: Alan Hahn on Twitter

Back problems can be tricky (remember Gallo's rookie season?). Right now we are being told he'll be back by the first week of March. What will we be told if that doesnt happen?

I don't think we'll trade Fields or Shumpert. Why would we do that? They're both playing really well and are still young. No chance we trade them.

Douglas on the other hand looks like a goner right now, but things can change in sports and he might get another chance at some point, especially if we can't trade him for anything decent. Sessions would be good, but it all depends on Baron Davis.
Let's not write him off yet, playoffs start in late April, it's mid February right now...still time for him to come back.

If not, we have to go for a backup point guard, no doubt. But we won't trade Fields or Shumpert - they're both keepers.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
There's no way Cleveland takes back BD and I doubt they trade Sessions for those pieces a lot of team would like Sessions especially the Lakers.

And I still don't see whats so fishy about Davis is latest set back actually had nothing to do with his back he has an elbow infection. I understand be weary of his condition I am too but if and when gets back that shit is gonna be crazy for NY having him as a back up.

portega1968

El Cacique
And I still don't see whats so fishy about Davis is latest set back actually had nothing to do with his back he has an elbow infection. I understand be weary of his condition I am too but if and when gets back that shit is gonna be crazy for NY having him as a back up.

Davis said on Feb 7th that the elbow infection was behind him

He was at the team workout on Feb 11th... He did not practice Feb 13th

Best case scenario mentioned was after All Star Break but we're not hearing anything positive.

Just eager to see this story unfold in a positive way.. right now something just doesnt look right

Davis said on Feb 7th that the elbow infection was behind him

He was at the team workout on Feb 11th... He did not practice Feb 13th

Best case scenario mentioned was after All Star Break but we're not hearing anything positive.

Just eager to see this story unfold in a positive way.. right now something just doesnt look right

I really don't know bro, but I'm sure Baron would love to go out and play for the Knicks right now.

Let's hope it's just bad luck with a few minor injuries. If we can get 15-18 minutes out of him each night that would be awesome and enough to keep Lin fresh and healthy.

unloopme

Benchwarmer
I know why Cleveland wants to trade Sessions...but my point was why would they take TD, BD, and Walker as was suggested.

They're not going to give him away. It probably WOULD take Fields or Shump to be included to make it happen...which I'm not down with.

smokes

Huge Member
I don't really care if Baron is healthy or not. He's not costing us much and no team is going to trade for him when he's injured anyway.

You can see him out there having a positive influence on Lin, Douglas, Shumpert etc. Taking them aside and giving them advice. I'm surprised to say I think BD is actually a good lockerroom guy.

portega1968

El Cacique
@smokes and @unloopme

my point is that Knicks will be looking to make a trade by August 15th and we know they want Ramon Sessions

Whether we can make it happen is up for argument until it happens

The discussion I want to have is, based on the assumption that a trade will likely happen, what will it be (I believe it will be for a backup PG, with Sessions being the priority)

I also like what BD is doing on the bench, but we need him ready to backup Lin ASAP... I think all this factored in to management's decision to release Balkman instead of Walker

Wargames

Starter
Idk man. It depends on baron right now. He is where the doctors said he would be with him getting on the court after the all star game. Trades have never worked for the knicks and young players cheap player are a premium in this new CBA era. JR smith is a rental in 90% of all scenarios.

The knicks are goid man right now we can go toe to toe with any team in the league when it comes to overall roster talent. If Baron can come back (which again you have to think the knicks think that since they didn't cut him) the knicks will have the right match up fir anybody and any team out there.

smokes

Huge Member
@smokes and @unloopme

my point is that Knicks will be looking to make a trade by August 15th and we know they want Ramon Sessions

Whether we can make it happen is up for argument until it happens

The discussion I want to have is, based on the assumption that a trade will likely happen, what will it be (I believe it will be for a backup PG, with Sessions being the priority)

I also like what BD is doing on the bench, but we need him ready to backup Lin ASAP... I think all this factored in to management's decision to release Balkman instead of Walker

For sure, I'd love Sessions (although there are a lot more PG's I'd prefer to him). I just can't see us trading Baron. Mainly because people very very rarely trade for injured players. Plus I'm not sure if it's even possible I do believe there is some rule about amnestied players not being able to be traded back to their former team for a certain amount of time.

Forrest17

Rotation player
Everyone forget about ramon sessions

Any players we would have to give up to get him wouldn't be worth it and Dan Gilbert isn't going to do a big market team like us any favors and make us better.

He didn't even want to wave baron because he wanted to come and play for us.

Johnny Flynn is most likely the only ones I think we have a realistic chance of getting as far as decent backup PGs go.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Everyone forget about ramon sessions

Any players we would have to give up to get him wouldn't be worth it and Dan Gilbert isn't going to do a big market team like us any favors and make us better.

He didn't even want to wave baron because he wanted to come and play for us.

Johnny Flynn is most likely the only ones I think we have a realistic chance of getting as far as decent backup PGs go.

i think if anything gilbert would be more willing to help a team in position to beat the heat, but all we can do is speculate