what happened to Amare's Explosiveness?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah really he's not throwing down on people and it bugs the hell out of me.

Amar'e last year would have dunked at least six times in today's game because he had Dirk guarding him...

He's not running the pick and roll GREAT with Lin yet, but that will get better in time. I'm really most worried about his jump shot - defenders have figured out that his jump shot this year is gone and thus can play a bit off him to stop him from getting to the basket. Hopefully he figures it all out soon.

iSaYughh

Starter
Yeah really he's not throwing down on people and it bugs the hell out of me.

Amar'e last year would have dunked at least six times in today's game because he had Dirk guarding him...

He's not running the pick and roll GREAT with Lin yet, but that will get better in time. I'm really most worried about his jump shot - defenders have figured out that his jump shot this year is gone and thus can play a bit off him to stop him from getting to the basket. Hopefully he figures it all out soon.

Agreed.

Damn, a good but scary point about his jumper. Compounded by his lack of all-around game with the P&R and explosiveness.

His jumper was on point last year. Straight up, he is just bricking perfectly good looks right now. Real gimmies, even.

Thankfully, when Melo comes back that issue shouldn't be an issue. Melo's sweet spot is that mid-range game, and zone where Amare was on point last year with, but now laying enough bricks to build a mansion with.

So, I think we can zero in on his general explosiveness and ability to run a dominant P&R.

*P&R I'm not concerned with, barring Amare totally melting down emotionally and mentally. He had mad issues last yr with Felton, too, looked like they couldn't do it; we know how that turned out.

*Issue of explosiveness I just don't get; is it partly his general discomfort with the P&R right now? Or is it really that size he gained? If it's the size, and if his explosiveness is what never allows him to take part as a dominating P&R player and inside finisher....WOW! Whoever let him, or greenlighted gaining that much size should be banned from Gotham. I remember hearing pre-season how it was supposed to just make him stronger inside, and not effect his explosion at all...I mean, how could those metircs be overlooked *as* he was gaining that size?

KingofNy

Starter
Jeffries and Chandler should be starting honestly. Only difference between Jeffries and Amar'e is how much they're getting paid. Jeffries rarely tries to do more than he usually can, and when he does I have respect for his effort.

Exactly +10000000! Stat tries too hard to score on offense and then doesn't even bother playing defense. I kept making excuses for him earlier in the year, but NO MORE! Dude doesn't move his feet on defense and plays D with his hands when he even bothers defending.

Watch Sportscenter, every Dallas highlight was over Stat. He WON'T take a charge, EVER! I've counted 2 charges today and 4 Friday that he could've taken but he just moves out of the way like a biaaatch. Stat needs to shape up or ship out. Right now Jeffries is 10x the player Stat is. #sadbuttrue

KingofNy

Starter
Over his last 10 games (5 with Lin) he's been putting up 20/8.5 with .485% shooting. His defense hasn't been great but there is effort there most of the time, he's just not very good. Overall he's putting up decent numbers and playing decent. People are just all over him because of the 100 million, the fact he's not hit that 25/10 standard he's set for himself every season, and the fact that people will jump on any weakness here.

There's so much to consider in the equation it's impossible. We've had so much change in this team in 1 year, with less than 6 months of basketball. Amare himself has gone through 5 PG changes, big roster moves, long bouts of injury and family tragedy.

I seriously wish people would get behind the guy instead of on top of him (cough) because we are highly unlikely to be able to trade him. May as well support him and pray that he gets out of the somewhat funk he's been in since Melo arrived as we need both these guys and the rest of the team playing 100% by the end of the year.

You give this guy too much credit. Dude has mad problems now man, wake up.

When Amare played well here was when he was playing Center and blowing by other SLOW centers. Now that he's playing against PF's and SF's that are just as fast as him it kills his game because he can't blow by them. His only points now come from open shots and open dunks. He caught the ball 3 times in the paint today only to turn the ball over or miss the easy shot.

Stat's all-star game used to be all about his speed and first step. Now for some reason that's gone and he just FORCES everything. Then when his shot's not falling, he STOPS trying. It's obvious dude. Watch him move out of the way on the few Dallas fast breaks today. You have to see this dude?

Stat's playing like a bum right now and I'd rather start Jeffries over him and make him earn his time. He needs the motivation because it's clear that he thinks his playing time is owed to him which it isn't. Sorry for the rant, but we're not going to hit all those 3's every night and we need him to improve if we want to win a title.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The main reason Amar'e was so deadly last year was because anytime a defender played off him to try to stop him from throwing it down on someone, he'd hit a jump shot. STAT was automatic from 15-18 ft last year, and part of being a good PF in this league is having a serviceable jump shot ESPECIALLY if you don't have much of a post game like STAT.

There are too many good players in the NBA for a player to be able to dominate on strength and speed alone. Teams have figured out that STAT's jump shot is gone and they're exposing it - notice how he can't get to the basket. Last year, if the Mavs pulled what they tried to do earlier today, STAT would've buried six jumpers in a row, and when they played him close, he'd beat them off the dribble and dunk on their asses.

I'm waiting for that STAT to show up.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I agree with Smokes it's not gonna help to keep bashing him, he's been playing below his normal standards for sure and there's def times I'm watching the game and STAT makes me cringe because of D. Idk if it's mental or that added weight but he doesn't seem explosive and he doesn't seem to have that same intensity.

I would like to see the other players like Melo, Lin, and Chandler talk to STAT and let him know they need him to really step it up on both sides.

smokes

Huge Member
You give this guy too much credit. Dude has mad problems now man, wake up.

When Amare played well here was when he was playing Center and blowing by other SLOW centers. Now that he's playing against PF's and SF's that are just as fast as him it kills his game because he can't blow by them. His only points now come from open shots and open dunks. He caught the ball 3 times in the paint today only to turn the ball over or miss the easy shot.

Stat's all-star game used to be all about his speed and first step. Now for some reason that's gone and he just FORCES everything. Then when his shot's not falling, he STOPS trying. It's obvious dude. Watch him move out of the way on the few Dallas fast breaks today. You have to see this dude?

Stat's playing like a bum right now and I'd rather start Jeffries over him and make him earn his time. He needs the motivation because it's clear that he thinks his playing time is owed to him which it isn't. Sorry for the rant, but we're not going to hit all those 3's every night and we need him to improve if we want to win a title.

Totally... Practically being a 20/10 player at this moment and he has problems NOW...

He's had his ups and downs this season, right now he's playing alright. Tonight wasn't great but in his last 10 the stats show he's doing fine.

The hate for STAT is becoming like the MDA hate at this point, seriously boring, uninspired, just jumping on the bandwagon of beating on a guy because he's had a bad start to the season.

He's had to deal with injuries, death in the family, a PG stable of TD, Bibby and Shumpert, trying to gel with Melo, changing position, a shortened offseason... Blablablablabla....

It's not excuses, it's legitimate reasons why he has not played up to scratch thus far. Why do people pick on his poor defensive skills every night? He is not, nor was ever a good defender. Not when we signed him, not last season, not before. So what are you expecting? That he's magically going to turn into Hakeem the Dream? If you wanna say he never makes effort on D that's just straight up crap. Yeah he takes a play off once in a while but he does make the effort most of the time.

I know this is New York and fans have a reputation of being ridiculously harsh critics to live up to but c'mon now, this is getting silly.

KingofNy

Starter
I agree with Smokes it's not gonna help to keep bashing him, he's been playing below his normal standards for sure and there's def times I'm watching the game and STAT makes me cringe because of D. Idk if it's mental or that added weight but he doesn't seem explosive and he doesn't seem to have that same intensity.

I would like to see the other players like Melo, Lin, and Chandler talk to STAT and let him know they need him to really step it up on both sides.

You just said all the same stuff we were saying. How is it we're bashing him yet your post isn't? We basically said the same stuff you said and I totally agree that his teammates need to work with him to help him improve these problems.

KingofNy

Starter
Totally... Practically being a 20/10 player at this moment and he has problems NOW...

He's had his ups and downs this season, right now he's playing alright. Tonight wasn't great but in his last 10 the stats show he's doing fine.

The hate for STAT is becoming like the MDA hate at this point, seriously boring, uninspired, just jumping on the bandwagon of beating on a guy because he's had a bad start to the season.

He's had to deal with injuries, death in the family, a PG stable of TD, Bibby and Shumpert, trying to gel with Melo, changing position, a shortened offseason... Blablablablabla....

It's not excuses, it's legitimate reasons why he has not played up to scratch thus far. Why do people pick on his poor defensive skills every night? He is not, nor was ever a good defender. Not when we signed him, not last season, not before. So what are you expecting? That he's magically going to turn into Hakeem the Dream? If you wanna say he never makes effort on D that's just straight up crap. Yeah he takes a play off once in a while but he does make the effort most of the time.

I know this is New York and fans have a reputation of being ridiculously harsh critics to live up to but c'mon now, this is getting silly.

I really don't think I'm being harsh on him. His defense has been HORRID since returning from the death of his brother. I'm not expecting him to be a lock down defender... Just for him to PLAY D, fill the lanes and ATTEMPT to block shots in the key. Watch that video posted a page ago with Stat's highlights and tell me that there's not a NIGHT and DAY difference in that department. Go back and watch the Dallas game and you'll see what I'm talking about. Stat consistently gets out of the way of guys driving to the basket and only uses his speed on offense.

We're paying him $100M, it's every fans RIGHT to expect him to ATTEMPT to play defense like he USED to do. He's really hurt us more than helped us. You stick ANY NBA starting PF in that role with Lin dishing him the ball and he'll get close to the same numbers that Stat's putting up and probably much LESS turnovers and maybe even a little D.

Dallas attacked Stat ALL GAME long tonight, scoring easy bucket after easy bucket. We take Stat out and put JJ in and what happens? Those easy buckets stop. Also, many of Lin's turnovers are at the hands of Stat... Literally. He fumbles so many easy passes and rebounds it's sickening. He barely sets the screen on pick & rolls. He hasn't been diving for lose balls and it looks like he's not even trying out there.

Bottom line is we play better without him in the lineup because our defense is better and most nights under Lin we REALLY DON'T NEED his scoring anways.

Maybe he'll improve but right now I'm pretty upset with his play or lack there of. Don't take it as I hate him, I just hate how he's playing right now. Maybe if he had to earn his playing time, he'll try to improve his game.

Last edited:

smokes

Huge Member
I really don't think I'm being harsh on him. His defense has been HORRID since returning from the death of his brother. I'm not expecting him to be a lock down defender... Just for him to PLAY D, fill the lanes and ATTEMPT to block shots in the key. Watch that video posted a page ago with Stat's highlights and tell me that there's not a NIGHT and DAY difference in that department. Go back and watch the Dallas game and you'll see what I'm talking about. Stat consistently gets out of the way of guys driving to the basket and only uses his speed on offense.

We're paying him $100M, it's every fans RIGHT to expect him to ATTEMPT to play defense like he USED to do. He's really hurt us more than helped us. You stick ANY NBA starting PF in that role with Lin dishing him the ball and he'll get close to the same numbers that Stat's putting up and probably much LESS turnovers and maybe even a little D.

Dallas attacked Stat ALL GAME long tonight, scoring easy bucket after easy bucket. We take Stat out and put JJ in and what happens? Those easy buckets stop. Also, many of Lin's turnovers are at the hands of Stat... Literally. He fumbles so many easy passes and rebounds it's sickening. He barely sets the screen on pick & rolls. He hasn't been diving for lose balls and it looks like he's not even trying out there.

Bottom line is we play better without him in the lineup because our defense is better and most nights under Lin we REALLY DON'T NEED his scoring anways.

Maybe he'll improve but right now I'm pretty upset with his play or lack there of. Don't take it as I hate him, I just hate how he's playing right now. Maybe if he had to earn his playing time, he'll try to improve his game.

The post wasn't directed at you personally but all the Amare hate on the forum.

The problem is, some people, respected posters, post exaggerations of Amare, other people pick up and start to run with them.

I've bolded parts of your post which are obvious exaggerations.

I've seen people talking about how Amare makes 0 effort on D which is totally untrue. No he does not exert the same effort as Jared Jeffries but he does try on probably 75%+ of possessions. Is that enough? No, but to say he takes every play off is purely false.

I've also read how he cannot hit a shot, especially jumpshots. I don't know what games these people are watching. Apart from tonight Amare's jumper has been on these last few games.

While I agree STAT needs to improve, on the offensive end he can still be a top 5 PF in this league and for people to want to trade him for Kris Humphries and Anthony Morrow is mind-boggling.

Knicks32

Benchwarmer
Stat is supposed to be an All-Star forward and if he was playing like one the Knicks could be real contenders.

Lin = Top 5
Melo = Top 5
Tyson = Top 5
Jr Smith/Fields = Not top 5 but Very good
Stat = Should be Top 5

If Stat can get back to Top 5 and we can get the chemistry flowing we have a REAL team. A team that is so deadly you really have to seriously guard anyone that touches the ball anywhere on the court.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The post wasn't directed at you personally but all the Amare hate on the forum.

The problem is, some people, respected posters, post exaggerations of Amare, other people pick up and start to run with them.

I've bolded parts of your post which are obvious exaggerations.

I've seen people talking about how Amare makes 0 effort on D which is totally untrue. No he does not exert the same effort as Jared Jeffries but he does try on probably 75%+ of possessions. Is that enough? No, but to say he takes every play off is purely false.

I've also read how he cannot hit a shot, especially jumpshots. I don't know what games these people are watching. Apart from tonight Amare's jumper has been on these last few games.

While I agree STAT needs to improve, on the offensive end he can still be a top 5 PF in this league and for people to want to trade him for Kris Humphries and Anthony Morrow is mind-boggling.

Yeah, uh, how's it feel now? Amar'e's jumper was ASS tonight, and probably the main reason the Knicks lost. He had great, open looks.

smokes

Huge Member
Yeah, uh, how's it feel now? Amar'e's jumper was ASS tonight, and probably the main reason the Knicks lost. He had great, open looks.

You won't get an argument from me. It sucked tonight and it sucked last night. Most of his other games recently it's been on.

Amare's jumper was the reason we lost? :eek:hboy:

clumsy

Rotation player
LOL i'll say it once and i'll say it again.

Barbosa (expiring) + Amir Johnson for Amare.

Toronto finally gets 2 P&R bigmen. They already have a good P&R point guard in Calderon. They will just need defensive role players to fill out their team.

We get another toughnose, defensive big man with more offensive skill than Jared Jeffries. He can work in the P&R decently. We now have cap room to resign cats next year.

Amare not playing inside the paint means he doesn't bring any value to our team...i'd rather have Novak shooting midrangers than Amare.

Novak and Amir can take Amare's time.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
You just said all the same stuff we were saying. How is it we're bashing him yet your post isn't? We basically said the same stuff you said and I totally agree that his teammates need to work with him to help him improve these problems.

No not everybody is saying the same things I'm saying like half the ppl on this site are saying he's done, he sucks, he needs to get out of NY.

There's a difference between criticizing a player which some ppl are doing me included and bashing a player which is what other ppl are doing.