Knicks V Nets - February 20th, 7:30pm.

For a rep point, guess how many rebounds STAT collects tonight

• Total voters
You have to take what the defense gives you sometimes.

We aren't a plodding, half-court team. For better or worse.

Clean, well-designed open looks that we were generating was based off Lin orchestrating the offense as he has been; breaking down the D, and making a decision.

It was resulting in just clean, good mid range jump shots.

Melo was in the box plenty too, especially at the end. And he got his ass raped.

It was just a fail every which way, on the inside and with clean mid range jumpers.

Sometimes you have to be plodding to win. There is nothing wrong with it. This offense could be anything we want it to be.

Melo made a couple moves to get into the paint, and didnt get the call. One blatantly missed call should get the ref's suspended.

CA7

Scoring Champ
I think it is time to panic. the amare melo combo doesnt work obviously by our starting record before the lin era,no melo returns and your asking 3 ball dominant players to flow? idk i know im panicking

its fine dude, Deron was hot, Chandler barely played and we were missing Shumpert who would have defended Deron a lot better

nyk_nyk

All Star
yea dantoni doesnt have a SYSTEM its more like a philosophy, just run and shoot and pick and roll and shoot.we have no go to plays for our superstars or for our other scorers its all about whether or not jeremy lin can find the open man and if not then you have a game like we just had in which every player tried to create from nothing.

This is my absolute biggest beef with Antoni.

I don't think going to Melo tonight was gonna work but I agree a change needed to be made.

Was calling for Novak since the 3rd quarter he barely played the 2nd half. Right at the end he comes in and sinks a bunch of threes. Could have used those earlier.

But it's swings and roundabouts, I ain't mad at anyone for this game.

LeFlume, sayin it best.

I think if you let Melo post up the game swings. Novak was off tonight.

iSaYughh

Starter
But it hasn't been gradual up to this point. We are still in the very early stages. This is ONE GAME and some people are going crazy that our 2 superstars can't connect with our new superstar. This team has a big adjustment period to go through it's gonna take at least a few weeks for these guys to get fully comfortable on the floor together. From that point on if they have not gelled, serious questions need to be asked.

True. But I meant "gradual" as in we added STAT to the mix, a week later Melo. Not that it's been some crazy period of time, just that the trauma is made worse on our expectations not being met by how well we played w/o either of them, then STAT comes, then Melo. I guess this supports what you're saying: it's created an atmosphere prone to emotion.

And I get the gelling; it will take time. A few weeks sounds right, truthfully. But the individual efforts just aren't coming through, either; STAT's offensive inefficiency, compounded by asinine D and awareness is just absurd.

I'm not even mad, because I never had overly lofty expectations, but it just sucks to see this.

STAT has always been extremely flawed; but his flaws were sufficiently masked by being the most dominant inside scorer in the NBA, and being lethal enough to carry an offense and be a centerpiece on that end.

When people were lobbying for us to sign Amare, pointing to his destruction of the Lakers in the playoffs (offensively), I was pointing to the trend of him being outrebounded by Steven Nash, and porous D.

It took time for Felton and STAT to gel, though. People were up in arms saying STAT and Felton would *never* be able to run the P&R together, so....

smokes

Huge Member
True. But I meant "gradual" as in we added STAT to the mix, a week later Melo. Not that it's been some crazy period of time, just that the trauma is made worse on our expectations not being met by how well we played w/o either of them, then STAT comes, then Melo. I guess this supports what you're saying: it's created an atmosphere prone to emotion.

And I get the gelling; it will take time. A few weeks sounds right, truthfully. But the individual efforts just aren't coming through, either; STAT's offensive inefficiency, compounded by asinine D and awareness is just absurd.

I'm not even mad, because I never had overly lofty expectations, but it just sucks to see this.

STAT has always been extremely flawed; but his flaws were sufficiently masked by being the most dominant inside scorer in the NBA, and being lethal enough to carry an offense and be a centerpiece on that end.

When people were lobbying for us to sign Amare, pointing to his destruction of the Lakers in the playoffs (offensively), I was pointing to the trend of him being outrebounded by Steven Nash, and porous D.

It took time for Felton and STAT to gel, though. People were up in arms saying STAT and Felton would *never* be able to run the P&R together, so....

Check your PM's bro! God damn :lol:

Even if STAT can just improve to be an adequate defender with his high offensive talent, the sheer amount of talent overall on this team is more than enough. Let's hope he can :)

portega1968

El Cacique
These are the types of struggles that will make this team better down the stretch... We need to never underestimate an opponent, need to make free throws, and need to do a better job defending the 3line.

Team will be fine and will build on this loss

And for us, how about we dont jinx our team saying how we are gonna massacre the opponent before the game starts?

Originally Posted by BIG APPLE SPORTS
yea dantoni doesnt have a SYSTEM its more like a philosophy, just run and shoot and pick and roll and shoot.we have no go to plays for our superstars or for our other scorers its all about whether or not jeremy lin can find the open man and if not then you have a game like we just had in which every player tried to create from nothing.

This is my absolute biggest beef with Antoni.

I gotta agree with this. Not utilizing Melo's strengths is on the coach. You gotta call some sets to get him some shots.

iSaYughh

Starter
Sometimes you have to be plodding to win. There is nothing wrong with it. This offense could be anything we want it to be.

Melo made a couple moves to get into the paint, and didnt get the call. One blatantly missed call should get the ref's suspended.

That's not Lin, bro. That's not what has defined Lin's rise. You take the hottest girl to prom, you dance with her till you find out she's really a dude, or someone clearly hotter comes along.

If Lin was facilitating so-so looks, I'd maybe agree...roll the dice on getting involved in Lin's on-court play like you haven't before, and make a concerted effort to go very set-play, slow-pace.

But I don't see why you think that would carry more success?

Refs or nor refs we were getting our asses stuffed at the end around the basket. Melo had plenty of inside plays. So did Amare.

We were getting *great* looks.

Just because we weren't hitting them, doesn't mean you should deviate from going for the same shot the next time around, or in the future.

It's like flipping a coin where you're putting up $1 to someone's $2 for each flip, and you get afraid to flip because it ran tails 4 straight times, when you were picking heads.

Past failure has nothing (necessarily) to do with your future success. And shouldn't automatically dictate you change. Like I said, though, if our offense wasn't working.....sure, but our offense was working, IMHO. And it's what has been working in the games prior to this game, and what I think we agree will continue to work.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Chandler- lost his cool, not cool, foul trouble hurt us

Stoudemire- LOL

Anthony- rusty, passive and has to find his place within our flow

Fields- meh, he did fine

Lin- missed too many guys, Melo, JR mainly too much of a scorer not enough of a passer

Smith- no one looked for him today which sucks he would have helped

Jeffries- played his game

Novak- rushed his shots a little too much

Davis- 1st game back not good not bad

BachaCho

Benchwarmer
Stat really is awful at defense the team defense was just fcuking awful i mean when Gaines just ran away from the double team and just went in the paint while Fields and the others were just looking at him drivng in... Its disgusting...

Melo lost some of his explosiveness, Stat did so which is making him a worse player... We didnt use JR for shit tonight he could of gave us that spark if he had the ball more in his hand..

Stat's defense though is really starting to piss me off, your fcuking 6'11 use your body man dont just look at the ball at least jump at the guy to scare him pressure him anything

BachaCho

Benchwarmer
No energy and a terrible team effort today, Nets outplayed us thats that, its very frustrating to say that and to lose to this POS team, why do we always lose to bad teams i dont understand