I feel like this team just needs time.

c0leworld

Benchwarmer
JR Smith just came back from China where he was the leader/lead scorer on his team.
Melo is always used to being the leader/lead scorer on the team.
Stoudemire was the team's leader/lead scorer just last season.
Jeremy Lin was the leader/lead scorer these past few weeks when everyone was out.

Within a few weeks, everyone will be comfortable with their positions and figure it all out, I'm sure. We got a solid roster this year and I couldn't be more happier with the way things are going for the Knicks. Don't let a Nets loss get you down. We'll be fine and we'll take out the Hawks tomorrow and make a statement in the Heat game. Let's go Knicks!

P.S.: My view of the future of the Knicks:

1) I feel that Melo needs to become like that Dirk Nowitzki option on the team. Dirk creates his own shots, hits shots when he's open, but doesn't really control the ball too much. Only when he is needed.

2) Stoudemire's numbers will definitely go down. Guys, we have too much starpower right now. There's no way Stoudemire is going to average, 25 a game, Melo average 25 a game, Lin average 25 a game, etc. Something's gotta give. I think Stoudemire will turn into a third option, kind of like Chris Bosh on the Heat. Him and Chandler are going to have to share the floor, and in turn, share the points. Hopefully this will give Stat more energy on defense. P.S. Chris Bosh's numbers dropped from 24 PPG to 18.7 PPG! Sort of similar to what we're seeing with Stat.

3) Lin will remain a solid/strong PG. I'm hesitant to call him elite, but I feel he will be elite. He should keep driving in the paint, getting his points, finding his open men and keep doing what he was doing all along.

4) JR Smith will fall into rhythm. Dude is definitely jet lagged or whatever with all this bricks that don't even hit the rim. Hopefully he can be that James Harden type of guy. (Though Harden's better, don't get me wrong).

This team has the pieces to win a title. I don't think anymore trading is needed. People just need to learn their new roles in New York and solidify those roles. Dwayne Wade was the top option on the Heat, his PPG dropped by at least 3 when LeBron joined and took over. They're working masterfully together now and he clearly knows he's not the #1 superstar anymore. (Although he certainly still is a superstar)

In addition: I think someday's it will switch around. One day Amar'e will have the big game. Another day Melo will have it. One day Lin will have it, but I see it being Lin/Melo more often.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Forrest17

Rotation player
Yes they need time but time is running out. If we continue to have games like last night, if we struggle this year and Melo doesn't seem to fit, and we never return to the form we had on that 8-1 Lin streak then we have to get rid of Carmelo. Lin is more valuable and we should build around him with a bunch of solid role players.

I know we have a deep team now, but we won't after this season, with Carmelo's contract we won't be able to resign anyone this or next offseason. Nor will we really be able to bring anybody in, we got seriously lucky to get all these players together for the money they are playing at now and it won't happen again.

I'd rather keep Fields, JR Smith, Novak, Shumpert, Davis, give Lin a good contract and have some cap flexibility for the next few years then giving Carmelo 20 million per if he continues to play like he has and doesn't stay healthy.

c0leworld

Benchwarmer
Yes they need time but time is running out. If we continue to have games like last night, if we struggle this year and Melo doesn't seem to fit, and we never return to the form we had on that 8-1 Lin streak then we have to get rid of Carmelo. Lin is more valuable and we should build around him with a bunch of solid role players.

I know we have a deep team now, but we won't after this season, with Carmelo's contract we won't be able to resign anyone this or next offseason. Nor will we really be able to bring anybody in, we got seriously lucky to get all these players together for the money they are playing at now and it won't happen again.

I'd rather keep Fields, JR Smith, Novak, Shumpert, Davis, give Lin a good contract and have some cap flexibility for the next few years then giving Carmelo 20 million per if he continues to play like he has and doesn't stay healthy.

I definitely agree with you but now that we got our full healthy roster, everyone is almost back (Josh Harrelson), I think we're going to start seeing some magic from this team. Carmelo is a smart player, and an excellent player. I truly believe he will find his role and continue to be that top 22-25 ppg scorer. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

Wargames

Starter
I agree the knicks have the pieces to go deep and win it all. They just need to figure out their roles. That will take time which the Knicks will get leading up to and after the all star weekend.

From shump on perimeter D to amare and Melo doing pick and rolls. There are a lot of good looks for this lineup.

c0leworld

Benchwarmer
I agree the knicks have the pieces to go deep and win it all. They just need to figure out their roles. That will take time which the Knicks will get leading up to and after the all star weekend.

From shump on perimeter D to amare and Melo doing pick and rolls. There are a lot of good looks for this lineup.

Yeah, I love having Shumpert on this team and we definitely missed him against the Nets/Deron Williams. The dude can play defense. The only time I saw him struggle was defending Derrick Rose. The dude just looked horrified lol. But other than he's a prime defender.

CA7

Scoring Champ
Thing about Melo is he's gonna go the 1st 7 minutes without getting a rhythm and then we needed expected to contribute at a high rate, Lin missed him like 7 times yesterday, granted it was the 1st time but if Melo establishes no rhythm and then we get down and try to isolate him to get his shots and get us back in he rushes because no rhythm is developed, 1st plays of the game should either be back pick for Amar'e and a dunk or a down screen for Melo and an easy jump shot, then we play within them

trying to force our super stars to be role players isn't good for them, let our stars be stars and our role guys be role guys, we're doing the complete opposite

This team deserves time.

I hope they (only) need time.

I believe so, until the opposite is proven.

We definitely owe them the rest of the season and the playoffs.
I'd give them the first 20 games of next season too, just because they never had a real training camp together.

I just hope guys like Baron Davis and J.R. SMith will stay for one more year and don't leave after this season, because our true potential might be released next year and not this year (no preseason, no real training camp, a lot of rookies/sophomores on the roster with very little experience, a ton of injuries and a lot of late roster changes).

I hope for a miracle this season, sure but I don't know if time is on our side or not this year.

Next year we could be the best or second best team in the east and probably the NBA (on paper).