Carmelo's acting like a martyr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
His new Twitter avatar:

image.jpg

And some very good RealGM post on him:

I see far more energy being spent on this topic trying to use what Melo did to get in each other's faces when the very simple fact is Melo made a mistake.

I really wish folks here would take more time to get historical context for issues so you have perspective on what this action means.

He just used the most famous sports martyr image of all time.

George Lois of Esquire was one of the greatest ad men/photographic visualists of all time. This image of Ali is a riff on the arrows that killed St. Sebastian.

The context does matter because Ali had become the lightning rod for two of the biggest offenses to White American Ideology of the Sixties, namely:

1. He became the most prominent Black Muslim in the world when he changed his name from Cassius Clay and announced his support of Elijah Muhammed. Outside of MLK and Malcolm X, there really was not a higher profile black man in the world who was symbolic of the freedom to be who you want to be in this world.

2. Ali was stripped of his Championship Belt IN HIS PRIME for refusing to serve in the U.S. Military during the Viet Nam war.

Further context is his era was a battlegrounds for these two massive splits in society over civil rights and the anti-war movement. If you are a young cat here, you may have read the history books or seen documentaries, but you may have no real appreciation of how electrified and intense the world was on a social level compared to now. There was a real war of values going on in the streets everyday in America, whereas now people are mostly sleepwalking or checking out entirely to do their own thing.

Now, for Melo to appropriate that image shows he is a true narcissist lacking any ability to understand why that image was relevant then and why it has absolutely no relevance to his situation. All he is saying Poor Me.

Melo's karma comes from forcing a mid-season trade instead of playing out his contract, so he put himself on a pedestal where the expectations for him to be the best player on the franchise was the price of his ambition.

For him to equate any doubts or backlash from the fans due to these thwarted expectations as the same as being a martyr is absurd. The courage of his convictions to accept tens of millions of dollars to play where he demanded to play is completely unrelated to having the courage of your convictions to stand up to a whole society as a proud black man, a Muslim and a conscientious objector at a time when this took real guts.

In any case, there is minimal backlash against Melo in the media even now and most rational people are accepting he has had injuries and this is a new team with Lin and it will take some more time to integrate.

So, this rash and juvenile action by Melo is a peek into his own mind, not a reflection of a strong man standing up against injustice. He betrayed his insecurities and his envy of Lin taking the spotlight is clearly part of it, because if it wasn't he wouldn't be acting all dejected and rejected as if he were being shot full of arrows and left behind by the fans. It is idiotic.

Melo is being a child.

p0nder

Starter
#1 - **** realGM boards. bunch of punks.

#2 - who gives a shit about twitter pics? like what the **** is wrong with people these days? Melo's gonna come back and get right and we'll see it tonight against the hawks and tomorrow against the heat and everyone will be back on his nutz and all this bullshit will be done with.

I can not believe that a guy went from being "best player on the team" to "guy we are gonna tear up in the media" because he was ****ing injured???

Holy shit people. it's like the entire world has ADD and it's fueled by Twitter and Prez Hilton.

I'm not even a huge Melo guy, I just think that it's ridiculous how some fan's and media outlets get on.

Being a child?

Granted he used an extreme but he's just trying to show the fans and everyone how he's feeling.

The poor guy is being used as a scape-goat by the media and he hasn't done anything but carry us when we needed him to. Everything that they're saying about the guy is just a flat out lie. He isn't a ball hog and he doesn't hate Lin the media is just trying to run this poor guy out of his hometown.

I talked ALL anout this is my Support Melo thread please EVERYONE take a look at it, the media wants you to hate a man that has done nothing to deserve it. They want you to hate a man and crucify a fellow New Yorker, an Olympic gold medalist, and a guy who came here and has done nothing but played his heart out for you, because it makes them money.

Its just wrong and its sad and awful to watch what the media can do to an innocent guy its just sick, and how fans just follow them blindely without even educating themselves and looking at things from there own perspective is very troubling. The guy hasn't done anything but play his heart out for this francise.

Please everyone read my "Support Carmelo" thread before you attack this innocent guy.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
#1 - **** realGM boards. bunch of punks.

#2 - who gives a shit about twitter pics? like what the **** is wrong with people these days? Melo's gonna come back and get right and we'll see it tonight against the hawks and tomorrow against the heat and everyone will be back on his nutz and all this bullshit will be done with.

I can not believe that a guy went from being "best player on the team" to "guy we are gonna tear up in the media" because he was ****ing injured???

Holy shit people. it's like the entire world has ADD and it's fueled by Twitter and Prez Hilton.

I'm not even a huge Melo guy, I just think that it's ridiculous how some fan's and media outlets get on.
14557340-rage-gif-.gif

p0nder

Starter
If you wanna read realGM BS go to real GM, don't cross post this media-hype-Twitter-pic-TMZ-Kim-Kardashian-dating-Lin garbage.

y'all actin like ****in sheeple. Media got you hatin on one of OUR guys. You can't hold melo down he'll be back on top and some fools will be eating crow.

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I see no problem with what Melo posted and NY fans need to support their players stop being so fast in bashing them.

If you wanna read realGM BS go to real GM, don't cross post this media-hype-Twitter-pic-TMZ-Kim-Kardashian-dating-Lin garbage.

y'all actin like ****in sheeple. Media got you hatin on one of OUR guys. You can't hold melo down he'll be back on top and some fools will be eating crow.
cosign.jpg

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Carmelo isn't a "poor guy", we all know he forced his trade to New York and therefore he should be aware of how the media work. He brought himself into this situation, you can't earn your max contract and profit from playing in a large market and than complain the market is about to eat you up. I think the media are going too far speculating he hates Lin because he's been stealing his spotlight and his fans. But it's definately about time to show he's a man, except of very few games he hasn't shown anything special, moreover he's struggling lately, he's chucking, missing easy layups and being lazy on defense. It's about time to prove people wrong. He can't demand more time, he's been on this team for a year now and even if the roster changed a couple of times people can ask themselves why Carmelo needs more time if it clicked at once once Lin started getting more playing time?

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
Carmelo isn't a "poor guy", we all know he forced his trade to New York and therefore he should be aware of how the media work. He brought himself into this situation, you can't earn your max contract and profit from playing in a large market and than complain the market is about to eat you up. I think the media are going too far speculating he hates Lin because he's been stealing his spotlight and his fans. But it's definately about time to show he's a man, except of very few games he hasn't shown anything special, moreover he's struggling lately, he's chucking, missing easy layups and being lazy on defense. It's about time to prove people wrong. He can't demand more time, he's been on this team for a year now and even if the roster changed a couple of times people can ask themselves why Carmelo needs more time if it clicked at once once Lin started getting more playing time?

Individually Melo played fine last year with Billups here and him not having the role of point forward. Once there was no decent PG Melo had to adjust his game to something he is not and he struggled on top of that he kept getting different injuries which held him back even more. The reason ppl are saying give him more time now is because 1. he doesn't have to play point forward anymore he can play his game and 2. he's finally healthy. So lets just give him some time to gel with the team now that theres two decent PG's in the lineup.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Carmelo Anthony is a top 5 NBA talent on the right side of 30. If not he than who?

He is our first legit SUPER STAR since Ewing. I love STAT but he is not on the same level is #7 only Lebron and Durant come close in my book at his position.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I'm sorry but this is really over analyzing a twitter pic.

I get that the picture has a deeper meaning, but perhaps all Melo's meaning to imply is that he's currently a target. Coincidently, this RealGM post supports the reason he may feel that way.

Not everyone that chooses a profile image does so with the original meaning in mind. This is over the top.

/thread

Status
Not open for further replies.