Is Lin getting ahead of himself

TakMan

Rotation player
So it appears that Jeremy is attempting to claim rights to the phrase 'Linsanity'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17136478

New York Knicks basketball player Jeremy Lin has filed to trademark the term "Linsanity", used to characterize his rapid rise to NBA stardom.

Mr Lin's filings indicates the trademark will be used for a slew of sporting good, sports wear and other merchandise.

...a lawyer that represents Mr Lin told Bloomberg news agency: "We're prepared to enforce his intellectual property rights,"

Seriously? After 12 or so good performances? Should he not be focussing on evolving as a player and making his game more complete? Hopefully his streak of good performances hasn't got to his head though I wouldn't bet against it.

He seemed a bit more down to earth than that.

IT'S ONLY BEEN 12 GAMES.

I guess he's figured out he can cash into the 1.5 billion strong Chinese market.

smokes

Huge Member
Well I doubt it's taking up too much of his time...

Advisors: Hey Jeremy, you should trademark "Linsanity"

Jeremy: Ok, get on that.

Advisors: Ok.

TakMan

Rotation player

I don't doubt it's something like what you've described. Advisors can be quite manipulative and misleading though when it comes to 'looking out for their client's interest' when they're actually looking out for their own. It doesn't take much for one's head to get over inflated. Had he contributed consistently for a good couple of years or so maybe I could understand this. Again I hope this isn't the start of something not so good.

Last edited:

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Denny Green trademarked "they are who we thought they were," and Bart Scott trademarked "Can't Wait!!"

If someone is going to print/use a phrase that was either created by you, "popularized" by you, or created to be your nickname, to make money....you trademark it as your property.

Being a smart business man doesn't mean you're getting ahead of yourself or have your head getting inflated from your ego. It means you're being smart.

People are going to try to make money with the name Linsanity, why should anyone else have those rights when it's dude's nickname? Lol.

I'm sure if someone from the forums took the name TakMan, started a successful business venture, made millions with that name front and center on their product/service, you'd be frosty as all hell.

This is a nonissue, let's keep it moving.

TakMan

Rotation player
This may have something to do with my disapproval of copyright/patenting/trademarking etc but to be honest what he's essentially done is branded himself after just a few good games. Like I said it may be (hopefully is) nothing but I am slightly worried about the prospect of fame getting to his head. He wouldn't be the first person to suddenly fall from the skies after buying into the hype surrounding his name rather than remaining humble and continuing to apply effort.

I sincerely hope my fears are unfounded.

Thus far he has been brilliant.

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
STFU! You ****in tards crying because he doesn't want to be taken advantage of. Eat a fat hater c0ck and leave Linsanity alone. ****in guys always gotta ****in knit pick everything.

TakMan

Rotation player
STFU! You ****in tards crying because he doesn't want to be taken advantage of. Eat a fat hater c0ck and leave Linsanity alone. ****in guys always gotta ****in knit pick everything.

How can you even claim that someone who makes 750k (soon to be in the millions) for tossing a ball around gets taken advantage of??! I'd hate to be a doctor on 30k reading this.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Harvard economics graduate who strikes while the iron is hot. What if his career slows down and he becomes an average NBA player? He doesn't have a max contract, so he tries to make some more money exploring other possibilities. IMO a very good move.

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
Yeah I think people forget that this kid was sleeping on a ****in couch! Don't watch sports if you're mad they make more money then you.

TakMan

Rotation player
Yeah I think people forget that this kid was sleeping on a ****in couch! Don't watch sports if you're mad they make more money then you.

No one's mad at that fact. Just think it's a bit of a piss take to claim they get taken advantage of. It's a sport. It's entertaining, and that's all there is to it. At the moment Lin is one of the top performers, but I do think that the media have been quick to jump the gun with Lin as they need these stories to sell. I'm only expressing my hope that Lin does not play right into the hands of this and continues to focus on Basketball and improve as a player. He can be better than Rose, Westbrook and all the other shoot first PG's if he doesn't get too carried away.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Periods are frightening things.
Fair enough if Linsanity gets benefits for the biggest sports story of the year. All done on his own accord as a result of hard work. He thanks god for it, which seems pointless, but whatever gets him motivated makes my day better as a result! Praise Jesus!

pat

Starter
So it appears that Jeremy is attempting to claim rights to the phrase 'Linsanity'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17136478

Seriously? After 12 or so good performances? Should he not be focussing on evolving as a player and making his game more complete? Hopefully his streak of good performances hasn't got to his head though I wouldn't bet against it.

He seemed a bit more down to earth than that.

IT'S ONLY BEEN 12 GAMES.

I guess he's figured out he can cash into the 1.5 billion strong Chinese market.

The man has got a Harvard business degree and he is living the American dream. Of course he is claiming the rights to Linsanity. There must be some money in this for him He is playing on a minimum contract.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Crazy⑧s;211204 said:
Fair enough if Linsanity gets benefits for the biggest sports story of the year. All done on his own accord as a result of hard work. He thanks god for it, which seems pointless, but whatever gets him motivated makes my day better as a result! Praise Jesus!
Lmao! Repped :teeth:

TakMan

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;211204 said:

I drink wine in the name of Jebus on a daily basis.

My main point was that the showbiz industry and celebrity lifestyle can have a detrimental effect on people's lives. Especially if they go from being unknown to a global icon in the space of a few weeks. Regardless of whether or not I agree with how much they deserve the money they make, this discussion is purely based on Lin's ability to continue to improve. I don't think we can honestly speak of 'Linsanity' until there is a proven and consistent record of top performances from him. I was merely pointing out that I hope he hasn't bought into it either, and will continue to focus on the task at hand.

tiger0330

Legend
Vinsanity is trademarked why not Linsanity. I hope JLin makes a ton of loot on it because it'll mean he's playing great.

unloopme

Benchwarmer

:agreed: I'll bet this was pretty much the whole conversation. Repped.
Stupid to even have an opinion on this. This thread is useless.