This guy talked to Steve Kerr

BachaCho

Benchwarmer
""Today I got a chance to meet Steve Kerr had a charity event in Orlando that my company was holding. I'll skip right to the good stuff. I asked him about Linsanity and how he thinks Melo and Amare are being used with Lin in MDA's offense. He told me that MDA is smart enough to figure it out but it takes time. One form of criticism however is that he says the way the Knicks run pick n roll doesn't work unless you have 3 above average shooters on the floor. He said "the best 2 players I've ever seen run pick n roll are Stockton & Malone and Utah didn't need to surround them with 3 shooters" ... "In the Knicks system the pick n roll is designed to give the point guard the advantage against the big man to open it up from there but teams like the Spurs and Utah run it not just for that but to also give the big man the advantage on a switch off against a smaller guy" ... He then asked me "how many point guards can guard Carmelo in the post or Amare" .... basically saying if there's a switch off the pick n roll the ball can swing around right to Carmelo or Amare and there's a mismatch that forces either a favorable match up or a double team which leads to somebody get a wide open shot. He said he's shocked the Knicks haven't run any pick n roll's with Lin and Melo and not just on the top of the key."You can run that on the elbow, from the corners ... not just straight from the top on the 3 point line"

I find it interesting that watching the Knicks play that Jeremy Lin gets double teamed 99% more than Amare and Melo. Melo is great at finding the open man and part of the fact his assist ratio was never that high was cause how Denver constructed its offense was so when double teams come at him he swings it to a guy who now is told to penetrate rather than spot up shoot. The spot up shooter was the 2nd option after Melo's kick out out of a double team. This is how Karl utilized Melo knowing he's great in Iso situations and it was a way for Karl to get the most out of Melo and still maintain the motion-style offense that he loves. Talking to Kerr for 15 min I learned a hell of whole lot. He really spoke highly about MDA's B Ball IQ and said this is a terrible season for him to figure this out. He thinks Woodson is a great compliment to Dantoni and says that if the Knicks stick with this that next year they would be serious contenders. He thinks in this shortened season its impossible for the Knicks to get this right fast enough to contend for a title. He said "if it was a normal season this year with regular practice time and etc it would still be difficult but given the situation ... Its impossible for them to get it this year" .....

Other off the record quotes ... He thinks the Knicks need a physical big man to back up Amare and Chander that can play 4 or 5. Knicks shouldn't go after Dwight if it cost Carmelo. Says Carmelo and Durant are the 2 best pure scorers in b ball and that the Knicks just have to make it work. Says the Knicks have a top 5 bench and top 5 assistant coaching staff. Believes they will peak this year as much as they can by 2nd week of March after the team has 8 or 9 practices together. What else ... um .... He didn't want to answer this question but I asked him if Lin is a product of the system he's in and he would never give me a straight answer ... but he did tell me that Lin is a better shooter than given credit for, showed he's clutch, and if he had to predict his production numbers he'd say he's a 16/7 guy
""

Steve Kerr does bring up a huge point..maybe we should give D antoni a real chance.. I mean there has been injuries and a constantly changing roster and very few practices... But its a shame because most likely he wont be given another chance next year... Or maybe they will sign him to a 1-year contract if we go far this year

Last edited:
Very insightful. The part of his analysis that breaks my heart is when he essentially says that if the Knicks stick with what they have, we will be serious contenders NEXT year. If we don't get something done in the playoffs THIS year, I don't think this franchise will be able to stick with what it has, but who knows.

NJknick

Rookie
Thanks for sharing good stuff! I'm actually surprised that there haven't been more responses in this thread. I actually believe by the end of the year we're going to see what Kerr is talking about now. We just have to be a little more patient. I really believe if we're AT LEAST the 4th seed come playoffs, he will get the extension.

BachaCho

Benchwarmer
Thanks for sharing good stuff! I'm actually surprised that there haven't been more responses in this thread. I actually believe by the end of the year we're going to see what Kerr is talking about now. We just have to be a little more patient. I really believe if we're AT LEAST the 4th seed come playoffs, he will get the extension.

Thanks man but for the record I didnt talk to Steve Kerr, I got this from the RealGM forums some guy did talk to him i'd just thought id relay this over here because its very interesting and does bring up a huge point. yeah i do agree D antoni could get a year extension if we go far in the playoffs... I used to be so against D antoni earlier in the season but now im giving him a chance and i do believe he can fix the situation if we just gave him time, he had a constantly changing roster and very few practices

Its just sad, he is saying that its almost impossible for us to win this year which i dont believe i believe we could win it all this year everyone has to buy in and do it i hope they can

CA7

Scoring Champ
Thanks man but for the record I didnt talk to Steve Kerr, I got this from the RealGM forums some guy did talk to him i'd just thought id relay this over here because its very interesting and does bring up a huge point. yeah i do agree D antoni could get a year extension if we go far in the playoffs... I used to be so against D antoni earlier in the season but now im giving him a chance and i do believe he can fix the situation if we just gave him time, he had a constantly changing roster and very few practices

Its just sad, he is saying that its almost impossible for us to win this year which i dont believe i believe we could win it all this year everyone has to buy in and do it i hope they can

Phony.jpg